Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992 Turbo S Air Filter Change??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 03:41 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,095 Likes on 653 Posts

I would seriously check the compressor blades and perhaps take the car to the dealer so that is recorded with them.

Are you sure USA doesn't have the screens, can someone else confirm this? Perhaps they were not installed in yours? I can't believe the screens are not being used, it seems crazy, those intakes are straight in the path of the front tire debris path.

That is INSANE for 9k miles. There is going to be lots of unhappy people come 30-50k miles from the guys who don't check this stuff. I say this because I have dusted an engine before. The filters get wet, they deform and let dust and debris into the engine. There's a thread on here somewhere, a guy in Russia, engine dusted...

Old 02-06-2024, 03:48 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Originally Posted by boredm
id like to hear more about the inlets and more turbo sounds that come with swapping these and filters.
is it a big difference?
Yes, you will get a decent amount more of turbo inductions, blow off, etc. Not to mention some increase in performance.

Keep a close eye on the BMC filters, the filter material IS NOT going to filter like the OEM. I would just throw them away and install new filters every summer. Im on my second set already. MAKE SURE you have the prescreens if using theses too.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:53 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
I would seriously check the compressor blades and perhaps take the car to the dealer so that is recorded with them.

Are you sure USA doesn't have the screens, can someone else confirm this? Perhaps they were not installed in yours? I can't believe the screens are not being used, it seems crazy, those intakes are straight in the path of the front tire debris path.

That is INSANE for 9k miles. There is going to be lots of unhappy people come 30-50k miles from the guys who don't check this stuff. I say this because I have dusted an engine before. The filters get wet, they deform and let dust and debris into the engine. There's a thread on here somewhere, a guy in Russia, engine dusted...
I will put her up and check this weekend!
The following users liked this post:
Angryinch (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 04:34 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Let us know what you find. Are you going to source the screens and install them? I would trust the stock filters before the BMC in terms of filtration.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:35 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Let us know what you find. Are you going to source the screens and install them? I would trust the stock filters before the BMC in terms of filtration.
The parts diagrams for my dealership don't show any part numbers for the screens - only shows the cartridge frames for them.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:59 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

That’s wild, wonder why they would omit for USA?

if you want me to get a part number I can ask my guy? And or order for ya
Old 02-07-2024, 11:36 AM
DemonBarber
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I can confirm there is no pre filter screen on my USA 2022 Turbo S. There is a drain plug at the lowest point of the pre-filter duct, and there is a removable plastic screen frame that slides in and out of a slot in the intake duct path, but no screen. It's wide open to the filter. There are white fabric pads on the walls of the intake housing just before the filter, I'm guessing they contain activated carbon for reducing fuel vapor escape after the car is turned off. They do not appear to be replaceable, and are literally glued to the plastic housing walls.

For those who keep worrying about turbo compressor blades being damaged, I don't see how that would happen as long as there is a filter in place. There's no way for debris to get around or beyond a properly seated, intact filter.
Old 02-07-2024, 12:57 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Here is a good reason to change to do88 inlets:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...in-damage.html

I searched and gave up, I can’t find the thread where the guy took the engine out with dirty filters. The turbos were marred up and engine was dusted.

I would be concerned about this because it is possible and I’ve done it before myself (In a turbo truck). I would highly suggest putting the pre screens in your USA spec cars.

check out my build thread and how much rocks are in my intakes every time I went in there, handfuls!
iso87 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 11:04 PM
DemonBarber
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is a good reason to change to do88 inlets:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...in-damage.html

I searched and gave up, I can’t find the thread where the guy took the engine out with dirty filters. The turbos were marred up and engine was dusted.

I would be concerned about this because it is possible and I’ve done it before myself (In a turbo truck). I would highly suggest putting the pre screens in your USA spec cars.

check out my build thread and how much rocks are in my intakes every time I went in there, handfuls!
Im interested in upgrading the inlets and boost hoses, but curious if anyone here has done it themselves.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:49 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

The boost hoses are a bit more tricky because the rear bumper has to come off and a few other things. If you don’t have a bit of mechanical experience, I would leave those alone. Also, I think it’s a waste of money unless you’re pushing big boost.

The do88 inlets and air filters are pretty straight forward, they come with instructions too. The inner rear fender drops off and it’s all right there to work on. Take your time and double check your work. With all the dust and grit the rear tires kick up at the turbos, you really want to make sure you have no leaks after the air filters.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:51 AM
Blkrse
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Bottom screw

Pull out that piece

Press the clip at the bottom of the piece and pull down
Easy remove and replace
Old 02-09-2024, 11:34 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

Here is a video I saw. Even though this is not a turbo S, my understanding is that the procedure is exactly the same.

Last edited by neil.schneider; 02-10-2024 at 11:45 PM.
iso87 (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 03:18 PM
boredm
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

im going to do the bmc filters and inlets
wondering if anyone has sound clips
Old 02-12-2024, 11:39 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 390 Posts

check out this thread for info on the upgraded intake systems:

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...e-systems.html

Quick Reply: 992 Turbo S Air Filter Change??