Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Leaking oil pan - Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 11:22 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 561 Posts

you need to look for another dealership either now or down the line
buying a brand new car that costs 250 k and having oil leak within couple of days from delivery and they tell you to drive it and can't get you in for two weeks. That is poor customer service
Car have an issue from factory which can happen but dealer response is worse than the issue itself
proper response should have been
our apologies
this is a loaner : Panamera or Taycan
and will get your car in within a day
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (06-21-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 04:03 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,033 Likes on 615 Posts

^ Correct, terrible service and dealer. All too common now. Google review their butt.
The following 2 users liked this post by Angryinch:
Tupper (06-21-2023), usctrojanGT3 (10-12-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 11:26 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Marty
NEVER drive a car that is leaking that much oil.
Yup. I am amazed that you were told to keep driving, AND you still did. You should have had it flatbedded to the dealer. Actually, a different dealer, because the dealer who told you that is full of idiots and I wouldn’t want them anywhere near my car
Old 06-23-2023, 05:39 AM
Lofvis
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Yup. I am amazed that you were told to keep driving, AND you still did. You should have had it flatbedded to the dealer. Actually, a different dealer, because the dealer who told you that is full of idiots and I wouldn’t want them anywhere near my car
Still in break-in period (max 4000 rpm) and you need to keep an eye on the oil pressure.
Since the leak in the top of the oilpan there is still oil in the engine it just leaks out when its hot.

No flat bed service around, they even topped the oil up and drove it to their other PC abt 30min way as they are the ones with a free slot next week for service.
My porsche login is nice to have, you can see a lot of info there. The driver side window as been rolled down for days now and they have put like 50 km on the car so far.
Lets just say I'm not finished with my conversion with the dealership yet.
Old 10-11-2023, 09:20 PM
turbanator911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbinator
This is a problem with many new Turbo S coming off the line. Supposedly a gasket issue (green gasket) on the oil pan. Car will leak on both sides of the engine, often two puddles. Porsche is mum about the issue but the volume dealers know what is going on. My dealer has seen at least 4 of these same problems with 2022-2023 Turbo S engines.
So after this initial fiasco - https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...pb145701p.html

At around 500 Km mark, half of which were on the day this leak happened. Same Green seals, now replaced with Black. It's a small rectangular seal and gets cracked at the end, leaking oil. There are two such seals on both sides. These are different from the main seals. In our case, only one had gone bad, so there was less oil leak. Maybe Porsche has changed the vendor or a particular batch of seals is wrong; either way- Unacceptable. Where is the QC? They boast about doing checks on batches and whatnot.

I was worried if there was an external reason (stone or hit from below due to clearance), and then I came to this thread. Thanks to your clear post, I could reason with the dealership. Whatever you have mentioned is 100% correct and happening on almost all Turbo-S.

If Porsche had made a recall and corrected this known issue, I would have been upset, but not so much as now. If someone wants to hide known issues from the customers, waiting for them to suffer and report and correct- Sorry, but that's not how it should be.

Have almost decided to get rid of this thing; maybe Porsche is the new Skoda from the Eighties.

Last edited by turbanator911; 10-11-2023 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:14 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Almost all are leaking oil?

So 95% are leaking oil?

Not a drop here.

I didn’t read your other thread, but it sounds like you need to take a deep breathe. It’s a gasket, replace it and move on.
abiazis (10-14-2023), turbanator911 (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 02:34 AM
turbanator911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Almost all are leaking oil?.
Mine is April 23 built, similar to OP, so a particular period is affected, and Porsche won't accept or share what is affected. I am more pissed due to how Porsche handles a known problem than the problem itself, which is possible with any manufacturer. I know at least one more incident here that got delivered in April; that car also had this exact issue. Porsche sells very low numbers in our market, so my answer was in that context. Glad, your's working as intended.

I didn’t read your other thread, but it sounds like you need to take a deep breathe. It’s a gasket, replace it and move on
The car has been to the workshop twice in less than a month of ownership, on a flatbed, but apparently, the replacement of Turbo, engine gaskets, coolant, and engine oil, besides all the plumbing, is regular with such things, and I should not bother - Right.

How about this from last night: while returning from the workshop, my car was running low on fuel, and since it was not a regular pump (yeah, we have to be choosy here), I added only 10 Litres. There was no change in the distance to empty or the fuel indicator. No changes even this morning, and I was thinking about something wrong with the Pump. I added another 10 Ltrs an hour back, from a different pump, and the fuel gauge bumped closer to half with DTE - 220 Km. So, is this also a regular feature on the Porsche or am I the lucky guy?

Last edited by turbanator911; 10-12-2023 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:19 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 481 Posts

I am selling or sold over 20 (2021-2023) turbo or turbo s's, have not seen one leak so far, seen pics on this forum of cars that have leaked oil, just have not seen it myself, yet
The following users liked this post:
turbanator911 (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 09:48 AM
turbanator911
Track Day

Originally Posted by hcvone
I am selling or sold over 20 (2021-2023) turbo or turbo s's, have not seen one leak so far, seen pics on this forum of cars that have leaked oil, just have not seen it myself, yet
Porsche knows about this and they changed the Seal with an updated design/ type. If none of your customers had this failure, it implies this is not so common. As I mentioned, my earlier post was in the context of our market size.

I will be very grateful if you can find the probable reasons for such a failure, if that's possible somehow. My dealer is clueless. Or is there a way, I can ask Porsche directly?
Old 10-12-2023, 10:59 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Reason for failure, Porsche purchases parts for parts supplier, supplier had a bad batch or QC issue that made it onto a few cars. It happens… as long as the part was switched and fixed, not a huge concern, this is why you have warranty.

I have had the same issue with my fuel tank. If you put 10L in when it’s low, sometimes it doesn’t register it on the gauge. Likely because there is two sides to the tank and a transfer pump. Manufacture doesn’t think many will pump only 10L so could be a design flaw.

Benz had an engine, very common 6.3 V8. The head bolt female torx design caused a weak spot, the head bolts would pop off inside the engine while running. Now that is cause for concern. A leaky gasket, not so much, easy fix.

Sounds like some don’t have much mechanical knowledge and expect these cars to be flawless. All manufacturers are taking parts they buy and assembling their cars. There is bound to be issues here and there, it’s simply the nature of things.

Fill your car with gas the gauge will work, fix the gasket and drive it. If you don’t enjoy it, sell it. Be fortunate you’re in the position to be even complaining about such things, it’s just a gasket.

Andrew Acree (10-12-2023), turbanator911 (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 11:25 AM
turbanator911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Reason for failure, Porsche purchases parts for parts supplier, supplier had a bad batch or QC issue that made it onto a few cars. It happens… as long as the part was switched and fixed, not a huge concern, this is why you have warranty.
Thanks for your explanation. That's exactly what I was looking to know and am glad I posted here. This pissed me more as I was returning from the workshop after taking my car after a week

Sounds like some don’t have much mechanical knowledge and expect these cars to be flawless..
On the contrary, someone who knows about this stuff will be more worried, started my career 30 Years ago as a Machinist before moving into other things.

There is bound to be issues here and there, it’s simply the nature of things.
So, you think Manufacturers are right to keep such things to themselves and just wait for the customers to go through this failure instead of a voluntary recall because the reported instances of failures are too low?

Be fortunate you’re in the position to be even complaining about such things, it’s just a gasket.
Let's keep discussions technical, the way you answered for the fuel pump.

Last edited by turbanator911; 10-12-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2023, 11:52 AM
Nick44
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same issue

My TT less than 2 weeks old with an oil leak. Car was at the dealer for 2 weeks and finally got it back. Said the oil gasket was the issue. Let’s hope there are no more issues.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nick44:
abiazis (10-14-2023), heshalosny (10-14-2023), turbanator911 (10-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Leaking oil pan - Day 1