Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

FitcamX Dashcam installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 07:44 PM
jaftts
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Decided to install a dashcam for the first time. Was never really interested in one but was curious and read some good reviews of the FitcamX. It replaces the nose of our rainsensing mirror and has a jumper harness to make it 100% plug and play without any splicing or running cables.

Fitcam has a very basic install video that is slightly sped up but the install takes all of 10 min or so going very slow and careful so as to not break any tabs.

Steps:
1) remove main cover - use the included nylon pry tool to push the cover forward towards the windshield. The clips are designed to engage when the cover is slid backward toward the driver. Dont pull down at all just pry forward. This cover is tethered by a rubber strap to keep it from flying off in an accident. There is a nub to work free on the end of the strap to allow it to be freely removed

2) mid cover comes off next. It has two small ear tabs at the front of it so the idea is to pinch that part of the cover into itself and it will release. From there you have to perform some gymnastics to work this guy free and clear. Do this by traversing the mirror itself up/down/ left right while freeing the two lower tabs and the front tabs you pinched. There is a rubber tether on this as well to release free

3) now you can rotate the mirror base about 30 deg CCW to release the mirror itself. The front nose cone is then easily removed.

4) trace the wire harness of the mirror into the console. There is a larger cable running backward and a smaller one running forward. The smaller one is the one you will remove and jumper with the extension harness of the Fitcam. It plugs inline to interpose between the factory male and female connection

5) carefully route this new harness construct to minimize its presence in the console.

6) re-attach the mirror now by pushing into the base and rotating 30 deg CW

7) carefully fit the Fitcam camera nosecone into place. It is a friction fit and take your time to wiggle it until it settles/snaps into proper position

8) replace the midcover once again with the gymnastic maneuvers with care to break the front tabs. You'll have to position the bottom corner tabs first

9) main cover then slips into place and locks with a backward pull

10) download the Fitcam app and turn on the car. The carplay and Fitcam will compete for the Wifi of your phone so after a few rounds of trying to select the fitcam wifi I just plugged my iPhone into the USB so it wouldn't try to connect wireless anymore. Then you can successfully connect to the Fitcam wifi

@ eclou, after several months of experience with the camera, would you still recommend. Happy with the picture quality day or night ? Can it read license plates ? Any issues with the rain sensor or any other related car electronics. I am about to the trigger and wanted to check if how your experience has been so far.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:47 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

No issues at all. I have really never utilized it. I havent checked anything since the installation lol. I am just happy it was easy to install and looks factory
Old 01-24-2024, 10:45 AM
Mikster
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

@jaftts After several months, no issues here as well. No battery issues either. I've checked the video once in a while and it's still good, both rear and front.
One thing--the mfg claims it can record AUDIO. There's even an audio check-box in the software. I checked-it, but I didn't hear anything on playback. I'm working with the mfg to troubleshoot.

M
Old 01-24-2024, 11:32 AM
pbcsd
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikster
@jaftts After several months, no issues here as well. No battery issues either. I've checked the video once in a while and it's still good, both rear and front.
One thing--the mfg claims it can record AUDIO. There's even an audio check-box in the software. I checked-it, but I didn't hear anything on playback. I'm working with the mfg to troubleshoot.

M
How difficult was it to install the rear? Do it yourself or have a shop that worked on it?
Old 01-24-2024, 11:43 AM
Mikster
Racer

Originally Posted by pbcsd
How difficult was it to install the rear? Do it yourself or have a shop that worked on it?
Did it myself. All it is is routing the cabling in the creases of the roof liner and B Pillar, and back to the C Pillar. Using the plastic spudger tool helps. Then all that is left is affixing the small camera (see my post about this.)
I've had it sticking onto the clear cling film for 4+ months now and no issues.

M
The following users liked this post:
pbcsd (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 11:56 AM
pbcsd
Racer

Did it myself. All it is is routing the cabling in the creases of the roof liner and B Pillar, and back to the C Pillar. Using the plastic spudger tool helps. Then all that is left is affixing the small camera (see my post about this.)
I've had it sticking onto the clear cling film for 4+ months now and no issues.

M
Great, maybe if I go a head with it (and you're willing!) I might see if I can give you a call for some tips since if you're in Toronto we're close.
Mikster (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 12:26 PM
Mikster
Racer

Originally Posted by pbcsd
Great, maybe if I go a head with it (and you're willing!) I might see if I can give you a call for some tips since if you're in Toronto we're close.
Sounds good.

M
Old 01-25-2024, 02:57 PM
ajafri
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M
Thanks. Did you only install front ? Wondering how the rear would look since it will not be enclosed line the front
Old 01-25-2024, 03:07 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Originally Posted by ajafri
Thanks. Did you only install front ? Wondering how the rear would look since it will not be enclosed line the front
https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...l#post19052197
Mikster (01-25-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 01:24 AM
cooky01
Track Day

While some of you have concerns of the camera not recording when parked, I'm actually worried about the opposite.
I installed the Fitcamx dashcam on my 991.2 911.
The camera works fine, but it won't shut itself off even after locking the doors.
Wouldn't this drain the battery?
Does any of you have this same problem? (for those who also purchased a Fitcamx cam)
Old 04-22-2024, 10:38 AM
Woofman
Pro

Received 477 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by cooky01
While some of you have concerns of the camera not recording when parked, I'm actually worried about the opposite.
The camera works fine, but it won't shut itself off even after locking the doors.
Does any of you have this same problem? (for those who also purchased a Fitcamx cam)
Are you powering your FITCAMX from the rain sensor? The FITCAMX in my Cayenne, powered from the rain sensor, doesn't shut off until several minutes after I close the driver door.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:02 AM
Mikster
Racer

Originally Posted by cooky01
I don't have that problem. My FitcamX turns itself off after about 45 seconds to a minute. I've had it for several months now and no draining on the battery.

M
Old 04-22-2024, 01:24 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

No battery issues here either
Old 04-22-2024, 01:25 PM
cooky01
Track Day

Question

Thank you all for the reply.

Originally Posted by Woofman
Are you powering your FITCAMX from the rain sensor? The FITCAMX in my Cayenne, powered from the rain sensor, doesn't shut off until several minutes after I close the driver door.
Yes, my Fitcamx is powered from the rain sensor, through the Y-adaptor that came w/ the camera.

I don't have that problem. My FitcamX turns itself off after about 45 seconds to a minute. I've had it for several months now and no draining on the battery.
What kind of car do you have?
<Edit> - nevermind - just saw you installed yours on a 992.

Last edited by cooky01; 04-22-2024 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: FitcamX Dashcam installed