Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

FitcamX Dashcam installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 06:15 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

This reply shows the Fitcamx front / rear camera I installed in my Macan. I also installed the optional direct fuse panel wire kit to permit recording parking impacts.

The specifications are virtually identical to the OEM Porsche camera and the Fitcamx has slightly less features.

IMO the Porsche OEM camera is waaay too ugly and waaay too aftermarket looking to ever be installed onto one of my vehicles.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:18 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G_Rock
I'm curious about this as well. I just bought the front and rear setup (hasn't arrived yet) and there are no photos about how this works. Also, do you NEED to have wifi on your phone connected all the time or just when you want to interact with the camera?
Welcome to the forum.

There is a whole documented process for connecting the phone to the camera, then reverting back to normal setup, to permit watching the camera video on the phone. I did that process several times, mostly just for camera setup.

Now I just pop out the flash card and insert it into my home PC computer to watch / listen to camera A/V clips.
The following 2 users liked this post by wingless:
eclou (06-02-2023), G_Rock (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 12:43 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 582 Posts

OK quick update I pulled the microSD card and browsed through a series of videos from this past weekend trip from Houston to Dallas and back. The included 64GB card recorded video from my drive 3:45pm past Friday to this morning 9:30 am. Each 1 minute video recording is 111.4 MB. So the total capacity is theoretically 574 minutes of driving before it records over itself. Roughly 10 hours. A 128GB card would record almost 20 hours. Interestingly enough the camera recorded me while washing the car for 1 hour after the journey. The ignition was not on, and the car was unlocked most of the wash.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:55 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Yes, the Fitcamx creates four microSD flash card folders for A/V recordings, also including into those folders any manually generated pushbutton snapshot images.

These are for the front / rear cameras during operation and during parked events.

My understanding is that only the two operational folders are available for automatic recording over once the card gets filled. Those two parked event folders can receive videos, but aren't available for automatic loop over recordings, they remain intact and secure.

As such, I periodically move the microSD flash card from the Fitcamx to my PC computer to empty those two parked event folders. That will maximize the space available for operational loop over recording.

But that flash card is sooo huge it isn't an issue regardless.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:13 AM
CapitanoAR
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Good morning everyone,

I hope someone can help me.

I mounted the fitcamx on my 992. All went well and it was easy.

12v permanent, ground and switched 12v. I took this from the prewired options. All fine so far.

I simply can’t connect to camera Wi-Fi with my iPhone. I tried all what is described in the faq manual. sd card out, reset, bt off etc..

….nothing worked!!

The cam shows a few secs the red led light once I push the on/off button.

I finally tried a second fitcamx , same here. I even connected to external 12v power.

I have no idea what else to try. I simply can’t find the WiFi signal!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2023, 01:28 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the forum.

Cellular data off
Bluetooth off
Connect to camera Wi-Fi

Please report on results.
Old 07-01-2023, 01:50 PM
CapitanoAR
Advanced

Originally Posted by wingless
Welcome to the forum.

Cellular data off
Bluetooth off
Connect to camera Wi-Fi

Please report on results.

Thanks for your help. unfortunately not working
Old 07-01-2023, 02:13 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

try doing this with your iphone plugged into the USB port
Old 07-01-2023, 02:18 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CapitanoAR
Thanks for your help. unfortunately not working
Too bad.

Reach out to Fitcamx using their website chat function. Provide as much info as possible to decrease the iterations prior to attaining a solution.

My experience is that they are very responsive using that communication method, usually an early AM response (from Asia).
Old 07-01-2023, 03:25 PM
CapitanoAR
Advanced

Originally Posted by wingless
Too bad.

Reach out to Fitcamx using their website chat function. Provide as much info as possible to decrease the iterations prior to attaining a solution.

My experience is that they are very responsive using that communication method, usually an early AM response (from Asia).
yes I did. let’s see thx again
The following users liked this post:
wingless (07-01-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 08:23 AM
Marties
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys,

Michael here, first message on this forum (which is unbelievable btw).
I am a new and happy owner of a 992 Targa GTS in Aventurine green.

One of the first things I plan to do is buy a dash cam, and the FitcamX seems like an appealing solution.
However, as PTS-BRG mentioned, there might be an issue with the fact that the rain sensor circuit would not be powered when the car is parked.

Still, eclou mentioned that she was recorded for an hour washing the car, but the car's ignition was not on.

Dear eclou,

Can you confirm my understanding, that in your case, the FitcamX is wired directly on that rain sensor (not to the fuse box) and able to record when the car is parked and shut down ?
An interesting test would be to purposely push the car with your hands so to simulate an impact on the car. Would that be feasible to do ?

In any case, thanks for all your messages which help others !

Best regards
michael
Old 07-03-2023, 08:35 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 622 Likes on 341 Posts

I was looking into the fitcamx as an option for a factory looking clean, fast install. After doing my research, I have decided this is not the camera for me. The easy install is a big consideration, but if you opt for the easy install you dont get recording while parked and thats as important to me as it is while moving. In order to get the ability to have recording while parked, you need to hard wire it just like any other dash cam and that requires more work and tapping the fusebox.

OK, so you say why not? Let's tap the fuse box and get full functionality, but the quality of the recordings are poor or should I say not as good as the other top cameras. So, is the factory OEM look worth it to get inferior picture quality? Not for me. Then you have the issue of the poor app and lack of rear facing camera (optional) with equally difficult install and for me I didn't see the advantage of this camera over any other.

My 2 cents.

Waiting for some other cool new camera to be released.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:07 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marties
Hello guys,

Michael here, first message on this forum (which is unbelievable btw).
I am a new and happy owner of a 992 Targa GTS in Aventurine green.

One of the first things I plan to do is buy a dash cam, and the FitcamX seems like an appealing solution.
However, as PTS-BRG mentioned, there might be an issue with the fact that the rain sensor circuit would not be powered when the car is parked.

Still, eclou mentioned that she was recorded for an hour washing the car, but the car's ignition was not on.

Dear eclou,

Can you confirm my understanding, that in your case, the FitcamX is wired directly on that rain sensor (not to the fuse box) and able to record when the car is parked and shut down ?
An interesting test would be to purposely push the car with your hands so to simulate an impact on the car. Would that be feasible to do ?

In any case, thanks for all your messages which help others !

Best regards
michael
Yes wired directly to rain sensor.

I have not tried the impact thing yet. I guess I can lock the car in the garage and then give it a nudge about 30 min later sometime
Old 07-03-2023, 10:50 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

The Fitcamx w/ the optional direct wire fuse panel kit permits monitoring / recording parking lot impacts.

The installation of that aspect is just like every other vehicle wiring update, use the included tuck tool for routing.

Every single camera system (including the Porsche camera system) have optical artifacts. All of them are caused by a “horizontal” camera looking through a steeply angled glass. These optics result in faint reflections of stuff like the defroster vents.

The only way to attain “perfect” images is to have an external camera.

The specs and the images for all the camera systems are virtually identical. My prior reply has links and example images.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:52 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Definitely get the rear facing camera, such as is available with the Fitcamx system.

Quick Reply: FitcamX Dashcam installed