Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

2023 Turbo S Allocation (Coupe or Cab)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 10:38 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,097 Likes on 2,038 Posts

I don’t see the point, unless you’re really over a cab and want a coupe.

As far as GT3 vs Turbo S, if you have no need for the back seats, I’d make the switch, simply because I enjoy the exhaust sound more.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:15 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,500 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by ILL_SMO_Q
I think last year, well really even up to a few months ago of this year, it would have been a no brainer, just do it. But now with the market cooling, why pay $10,000 more for the same car, for 1 model years difference, with no discernible differences, GIVEN that I am actually not 'wanting' for an option I didnt select. The same configuration for my car 250k+ sticker would be a 260k+ sticker on 2023, with no performance or options advantages.

Now the question becomes, sell my 2022 TS at 'market' prices, and pick order a 2023 GT3 at msrp (at a much lower msrp), and have SOME protection against depreciation, vs whats going on with the TS's right now. My sales guy told me they arent selling at auction right now, because they are priced too high (for what people had to pay for them originally with mark up), and now they are 'no sale' because they arent meeting reserves. The market is changing, and while this isnt a 'bet on the used car market pricing' discussion, this is a rare chance where I can insulate myself a bit from my 'car craze stupidity' because I do buy new cars every 6 to 12 months, might as well check out a GT3, even though my gutt tells me, it wont be as good as the TS on the street, but if I do a 'stripper build' I will be more than happy to take it to track with very little care in the world.

I even considered, doing a coupe TS with 'light weight' package, but then felt if I was going that route why not just do the GT3. (Yes I saw the carwow video where TS beat the GT3 on track)
Financial approach: Order the GT3 and trade in / sell the TTS.

Kick-*** approach: Order the Turbo S coupe with lightweight package, no sunroof! Keep the Burmester.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:19 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 221 Posts

I owned a tts cab and sold it
i have a gt3 touring now
both 992

huge mistake selling my tts cab instead of my spyder

tts cab and gt3 is just an awesome combo, my 2 favorite porsches. No wrong choice

If only 1 sports car for the long term, gt3 no question. Manual, buckets, 9k, front end grip and turn in, very very light. Fantastic. Just get it.

but the tts is the best daily sports car on the planet, especially as a cab. It’s less of a pita for family duties, etc. soft and quiet when you want. Ballistic when you want. I miss it. If you just want one car period, this is it

I am hoping to get a new tts cab or pick up one when market corrects for what it’s worth. I have a feeling if you get a tts coupe you will both miss the cab and regret not going for the gt3. But I get the draw- the tts coupe is the best looking 992 by a mile in my view and it would be fun to do a sport classic spec tts coupe
Old 12-21-2022, 09:16 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

If you want the coupe over your cab, sell it and get the coupe.

If you love your cab, stay put and enjoy it.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:17 PM
ILL_SMO_Q
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 119 Posts

Yeah. I really feel like you all ‘get it’ … I know its a preference but I agree, a Turbo S cabriolet is as good as its going to get for an everyday supercar. The problem is, god forbid an accident occurs, I worry about the safety of me and my children occupants. If it was JUST me, Cab all day long. With my kids (and they love it) the cab just feels more risky as the things i love the most in this world are ‘exposed’ if something happened. So thats the ONLY reason I would do coupe, but then I know I will regret not having the Cab come spring, summer, fall. So then, if I am doing a coupe, why not just get the GT3 and then have a track car AND a safe (1 kid transport), and use family SUV for times I need 2+ seating.

I’m leaning towards selling Turbo S for GT3 or just passing on the allocation and keeping my Cab. Getting a 2023 Cab over my 2022 that i wouldn’t change anything on, makes zero sense now.

still deciding..
Old 12-22-2022, 09:22 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Yeah. I really feel like you all ‘get it’ … I know its a preference but I agree, a Turbo S cabriolet is as good as its going to get for an everyday supercar. The problem is, god forbid an accident occurs, I worry about the safety of me and my children occupants. If it was JUST me, Cab all day long. With my kids (and they love it) the cab just feels more risky as the things i love the most in this world are ‘exposed’ if something happened. So thats the ONLY reason I would do coupe, but then I know I will regret not having the Cab come spring, summer, fall. So then, if I am doing a coupe, why not just get the GT3 and then have a track car AND a safe (1 kid transport), and use family SUV for times I need 2+ seating.

I’m leaning towards selling Turbo S for GT3 or just passing on the allocation and keeping my Cab. Getting a 2023 Cab over my 2022 that i wouldn’t change anything on, makes zero sense now.

still deciding..

keep current cab, get new gt3 in addition...thats the answer.
Old 12-24-2022, 04:27 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

I was at the dealer this week picking up my wife’s car and I’m pretty sure I saw your car sitting outside the service door. The license plate starts with I’ll? It’s a beautiful car and it would be hard to let it go but from a financial standpoint, you could sell the TTS for what you paid for it easily and get a GT3 at MSRP that will hold its value for years to come. That’s a no brainer for me and if you feel the need to get back into a TTS, put your name in the hat and sell the GT3 when the time comes. It’s nice to have these options as our dealer had me waiting for a turbo allocation and then said it may not happen till 2024 so I gave up!
Old 12-30-2022, 02:48 AM
ILL_SMO_Q
Racer

Originally Posted by Mmade992
I was at the dealer this week picking up my wife’s car and I’m pretty sure I saw your car sitting outside the service door. The license plate starts with I’ll? It’s a beautiful car and it would be hard to let it go but from a financial standpoint, you could sell the TTS for what you paid for it easily and get a GT3 at MSRP that will hold its value for years to come. That’s a no brainer for me and if you feel the need to get back into a TTS, put your name in the hat and sell the GT3 when the time comes. It’s nice to have these options as our dealer had me waiting for a turbo allocation and then said it may not happen till 2024 so I gave up!
yup it’s mine, now you see why its hard to order another Turbo S and beat that configuration. I have gotten on the configurator a number of times trying multiple configurations but just can’t come up with something I love better. I will absolutely miss the power and drop top ability of the car if I sell it in favor of a GT3. I dont think I am going to bother trying to recreate the car any better than I already did. So either I do the GT3 or I just keep my Turbo S. My Sales Manager was on vacation for the Holidays so I am not going to have the conversation until after new years. Even the GT3 doesn’t speak to me, as I had originally hoped for a GT3 RS, which isn’t likely at this point unless they get a second round of allocations for those.
Old 12-31-2022, 11:57 AM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

lol, guys I have 5,500 miles on my CAB, I have been driving it.. lol. Mines a 250k sticker, I got all options I wanted, I cant imagine any other check boxes even in hindsight I'd add. BUT, now they 'upped' the game, and said they probably can give me a GT3 allocation, they just got one today.
Is your last name Rockefeller or something? Sheesh. Must be nice to get allocation choices like that. Maybe get the GT3 and drive it for a while and then decide which car you want to keep??? Or keep both??? Good luck and have fun deciding.

​​​​​​​P.s. you could always do the coin-flip trick. Flip a coin to make the decision, and if you feel disappointed with the outcome, you'll have your answer.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Last edited by Smirnoff67; 12-31-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:39 PM
Engro
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 162 Posts

yup it’s mine, now you see why its hard to order another Turbo S and beat that configuration. I have gotten on the configurator a number of times trying multiple configurations but just can’t come up with something I love better. I will absolutely miss the power and drop top ability of the car if I sell it in favor of a GT3. I dont think I am going to bother trying to recreate the car any better than I already did. So either I do the GT3 or I just keep my Turbo S. My Sales Manager was on vacation for the Holidays so I am not going to have the conversation until after new years. Even the GT3 doesn’t speak to me, as I had originally hoped for a GT3 RS, which isn’t likely at this point unless they get a second round of allocations for those.
You are going to miss the torque and duality of the turbo if you go the GT3 route unless you’ve got the speed thing out of your system and care more about the emotional high of the GT3 and will track consistently.
GT3RS is nearly out of reach maybe few rounds down the road it will be available and hoping more cars and made. I still think if you are a speed guy (well you got the turbo) the car to get will be the 992 GT2RS. With all the aero and pure speed it will be epic.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:50 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

I did a eurodelivery of a 997.1 GT3 in 2007. Loved the car in Europe, but when it came back to the US it was clearly not suited to Houston roads. I had a 997.1 TT at the same time that had Damptronics and a tune and it was far better suited to urban driving. In Germany I was certain I was going to keep the GT3 and sell the Turbo. When it shipped back within 2 weeks I listed the GT3 for sale. I had a 944 turbo and E36M3 track cars at the same time and could not see pushing the new GT3 hard at TWS like I could my track cars.
Old 01-01-2023, 02:39 PM
ILL_SMO_Q
Racer

Originally Posted by Engro
You are going to miss the torque and duality of the turbo if you go the GT3 route unless you’ve got the speed thing out of your system and care more about the emotional high of the GT3 and will track consistently.
GT3RS is nearly out of reach maybe few rounds down the road it will be available and hoping more cars and made. I still think if you are a speed guy (well you got the turbo) the car to get will be the 992 GT2RS. With all the aero and pure speed it will be epic.
Admittedly, that's the kind of relationship I was hoping to build with my dealership. There's zero chance I will get a GT2 RS, if I cant even get the GT3 RS, as that becomes infinitely more exclusive. Buying a GT3 or another Turbo S, at least raises my 'status' in the dollars spent category with the dealership. When it came down to it, my lack of previous purchases is what hurt me in the final decision on if I was allowed to buy one of the 6 GT3 RS my dealership got allocation for. Sales Manager went to bat for me, but with other million dollar purchasing customers, I didnt stack up. Even another car through them is only going to put me in the 1/2 million dollar customer range. But again, I have to build the relationship if I hope to get anything more exclusive than a gt3.

I'll call my guy mid next week and put this to rest.

Quick Reply: 2023 Turbo S Allocation (Coupe or Cab)