Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Is a Turbo S worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 11:38 PM
King_p
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Turbo S worth it?

So Im highly considering getting a 992. My worry is, is it worth spending all the extra money on getting a turbo s when something like the base car is just so good. I rented a base Carrera and I was blown away. Beautiful car, comfortable, driving feel is incredible sound system was great, engine sound was great, would light up the rear when I would step on it... I could go on and on, its a fantastic little car. I was thoroughly impressed, and I've owned Ferrari, Mclaren and currently own an Aventador.

With the base car being so good at roughly 150k or so, does it make sense still to spend 100-150k more for the turbo s? Or is it just the same car with a bigger engine? A C2S with a tune sounds like plenty of power and also lights up the rear. I worry the Turbo S being AWD ill lose some of the fun factor.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:43 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,778 Likes on 1,845 Posts

yes it's better - no question - spend the money and don't look back - no matter how good a base 911 is (and it's great) - the Turbo S is worlds better.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
NigelPlays (11-30-2022), Steve 96C4S (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 12:14 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Here, they compare it to a GT3. Imagine then the improvement over a base car.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:45 AM
Geruvah
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you want out of it? "is 100-150k more worth it?" is highly personal. If you just want that pure sports car feel, especially if you want a manual, you can go for a lower trim. You want that straight line insanity? You want to chase the numbers? Best daily driver supercar? Turbo S. Matt Farah said, "You just get in trouble faster." I, personally, don't see it as a canyon carver. You won't get the most out of it doing that.

It'll do everything great. But there are also plenty of people who realized the Turbo S isn't for them because while it does everything great, it feels clinical compared to other fun cars. Perfection erases humanity.

That being said, I love the Turbo S and despite people who realized the car isn't for them, I haven't seen one say they regret getting it.

Last edited by Geruvah; 11-30-2022 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:19 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

The turbo S has acceleration and digs off the line in a way that’s really only comparable to a supercar or a plaid / taycan.
it’s bonkers faster than a regular Carrera
if you could only have 1 car, it’s the pinnacle jack of all trades. It’s good at everything in a way that any other car that’s better than it in one way is also worse in some way.

whether or not it’s for your purpose is another matter. It’s not as fun in the canyons as a cayman or gt3. But it’s a lot more fun on the highway and around town where those cars just can’t play to their strengths outside of very spirited driving.
The following users liked this post:
Skinjob (08-20-2023)
Old 11-30-2022, 06:49 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
The turbo S has acceleration and digs off the line in a way that’s really only comparable to a supercar or a plaid / taycan.
it’s bonkers faster than a regular Carrera
if you could only have 1 car, it’s the pinnacle jack of all trades. It’s good at everything in a way that any other car that’s better than it in one way is also worse in some way.

whether or not it’s for your purpose is another matter. It’s not as fun in the canyons as a cayman or gt3. But it’s a lot more fun on the highway and around town where those cars just can’t play to their strengths outside of very spirited driving.
Precisely Alex! We have a 992 Targa 4S that we will trade for a TTS for this very reason…but I do have a 991.2 Touring for the spirited drives as you’ve suggested. Nobody has mentioned yet the shear presence of that TTS on the road with the wide body and untapped power and capability on demand. The silhouette of the Targa is one thing but that a** on the TTS is quite another…

Last edited by Overdraft; 11-30-2022 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:49 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by King_p
So Im highly considering getting a 992. My worry is, is it worth spending all the extra money on getting a turbo s when something like the base car is just so good. I rented a base Carrera and I was blown away. Beautiful car, comfortable, driving feel is incredible sound system was great, engine sound was great, would light up the rear when I would step on it... I could go on and on, its a fantastic little car. I was thoroughly impressed, and I've owned Ferrari, Mclaren and currently own an Aventador.

With the base car being so good at roughly 150k or so, does it make sense still to spend 100-150k more for the turbo s? Or is it just the same car with a bigger engine? A C2S with a tune sounds like plenty of power and also lights up the rear. I worry the Turbo S being AWD ill lose some of the fun factor.
You're asking a Turbo S forum whether the Turbo S is worth buying? Sounds suspect, but I'll bite.

A TTS doesn't drive like a Carrera with more power. A tuned 3.0 is not the same as a 3.8 with larger turbos. Compared to a TTS, the Carrera has a more linear throttle and significantly less thrust from a launch. The Turbo S is much faster from a roll with much more physical feeling acceleration. The Carrera is going to feel lighter, but the powertrain is much more dull, IMO. The handling on the TTS is much more tenacious. I've owned a C2S and the TTS was more engaging and fun to drive.

No one cross shops a base Carrera and a Turbo S - it's just not a thing. If you really connected with the Carrera and loved the drive, I'm not sure why you'd go with anything else. The TTS is a better car IMO, but it's a very different feeling car.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
Skinjob (08-20-2023), Spike Spiegel (12-04-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 08:06 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Since you feel that way about the base model, I would just get that. For me, I just wanted the Turbo S based on the looks of it compared to the base model, and it's performance. The rear spoiler and rear air vents sold me over the base model. We all want different things.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:07 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,298 Likes on 610 Posts

It’s driving a base Carrera on track that convinced me in 992 chassis and gotten me to buy one. However, the turbo turns up the dial in every aspect: acceleration, braking, handling, looks and luxury. It all depends what you are after. I am more than happy with my turbo and find it to be worth every penny over a base Carrera .
Old 11-30-2022, 08:51 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

If you like the base carrera, you might really like a manual GTS. Aesthetically I find that iteration the most pleasing, especially with the sports aero package. Same upgraded chassis/suspension as the turbo, more power than the Carrera S, and probably $50-70k discount from a TTS. If I wasn't able to get a TT or TTS allocation I was going to try to get a GTS.
Smirnoff67 (12-04-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 10:24 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 483 Posts

It's a good starting point, don't take a lot more to get it to run with anything out there, no matter the price
Old 11-30-2022, 11:25 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

I worry the Turbo S being AWD ill lose some of the fun factor.
Drift a figure eight with the Turbo S and ask again about fun factor. I have another car that is 788 hp RWD (factory, not modified) and the Turbo S is a lot more fun to drive.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:04 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

Save the hassle and wasted money by buying MORE than you think is enough to make you happy. Buy it right, buy it once.
The following 2 users liked this post by turbonator:
daveo4porsche (11-30-2022), Spike Spiegel (12-04-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 05:06 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,778 Likes on 1,845 Posts

actually now that I think about it - yeah - you're right - it's not worth it - here's what we're going to do...

you get a Turbo S allocation - let me customize it - and I'll order a 911 Base and let you customize it - and we'll swap with the two cars come in - we'll work out the money so we're both happy - I'd love another Turbo S but hard to get an allocation - so I'll just use yours and and I'll order a base 911 which is easier to get.

easy peasy.
paddlefoot64 (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 08:15 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,394 Likes on 673 Posts

OP, instead of asking for opinions here, why not rent a Turbo S and decide first hand. Too much money at stake not to do it.

Quick Reply: Is a Turbo S worth it?