Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
will go to dealer thursday when I can get the car in for service -

code isn't known to the internet or the service manager

2022 911 TurboS Cab

we'll see how this goes

code P0D85

{sigh}
this happened again recently - it's now almost 2 years later - and Porsche claims we have a software "fix" for this error - in my experience it's a harmless CEL - but annoying because:
  1. it's not good form to sell a vehicle with random CEL no mater how harmless they are
  2. and it's another round of diagnostics at the dealer with no actual resolution
this time was different however - there is now a specific software fix for this exact error

picking car up tomorrow - we'll see how this goes…

wonder if Porsche is just routing this error to dev:NULL

I have every belief this will "fix" the problem - but this is now two vehicle's - both more than $200k - both with trivial CEL problems - both with no "Known" fix for the issue - and both getting a software "fix" 2+ years after the problem was originally encountered - please dont' try and tell me Porsche is any better than any other car vendor…

The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 09:30 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

My guess is somewhere along these lines. Engineers at one point in time thought it critical to know these values were outside the range, but along the way realized that it's more common than they thought and the car just continues on fine and ignores them. So this programming just tells the car to ignore it.

More proof that integrating control modules by outside suppliers brings problems that we will never think about.
daveo4porsche (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 10:04 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
My guess is somewhere along these lines. Engineers at one point in time thought it critical to know these values were outside the range, but along the way realized that it's more common than they thought and the car just continues on fine and ignores them. So this programming just tells the car to ignore it.

More proof that integrating control modules by outside suppliers brings problems that we will never think about.
I agree - my read is this a dilation of acceptable parameters for voltage flux - I hope it fixes the CEL problem this car has had - it sucks to own a premier product like 911 TurboS and have to deal with this sort of minor BS every few months - also CEL's block registration/emissions testing if they are frequent enough even if they are a "false flag" and do not represent an actual problem

given that there is an actual software update for this - I'm guessing it was pretty pervasive fleet wide…but no way to confirm that other than the fact that there is a "factory level" fix - i.e. a procedure, tech note, and actual software from germany to 'fix" the problem - I doubt that they do that for "one off" issues…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-25-2024 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-25-2024, 12:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,169 Likes on 5,289 Posts

I agree - my read is this a dilation of acceptable parameters for voltage flux - I hope it fixes the CEL problem this car has had - it sucks to own a premier product like 911 TurboS and have to deal with this sort of minor BS every few months - also CEL's block registration/emissions testing if they are frequent enough even if they are a "false flag" and do not represent an actual problem

given that there is an actual software update for this - I'm guessing it was pretty pervasive fleet wide…but no way to confirm that other than the fact that there is a "factory level" fix - i.e. a procedure, tech note, and actual software from germany to 'fix" the problem - I doubt that they do that for "one off" issues…
Love how they qualify their results.

Old 07-27-2024, 04:13 PM
dak656
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

this happened again recently - it's now almost 2 years later - and Porsche claims we have a software "fix" for this error - in my experience it's a harmless CEL - but annoying because:
  1. it's not good form to sell a vehicle with random CEL no mater how harmless they are
  2. and it's another round of diagnostics at the dealer with no actual resolution
this time was different however - there is now a specific software fix for this exact error

picking car up tomorrow - we'll see how this goes…

I have every belief this will "fix" the problem - but this is now two vehicle's - both more than $200k - both with trivial CEL problems - both with no "Known" fix for the issue - and both getting a software "fix" 2+ years after the problem was originally encountered - please dont' try and tell me Porsche is any better than any other car vendor…
Did the clicking in the dash come back?

I agree - sounds like Porsche effectively put black electrical tape over the light on the dash. They did it with software... but same same...
daveo4porsche (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 06:05 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dak656
Did the clicking in the dash come back?

I agree - sounds like Porsche effectively put black electrical tape over the light on the dash. They did it with software... but same same...
no clicking that I can detect - I'll report if CEL comes back…
Old 07-27-2024, 09:22 PM
dak656
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

no clicking that I can detect - I'll report if CEL comes back…
Cool. Just curious based on the work order from when you thought it was Really Fixed. It mentions clicking in console.

Quick Reply: grrr - CEL - less than 2500 miles