Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Two Interesting Symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 09:42 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Mmade992
Nice! The high end install shops go with the best stuff and install it in very creative ways! Can’t wait to see those pictures and you’re gonna love that setup. I travel for my job and have installed this system in my LS460L then my ES350 and now I’m putting it into my Cayenne Diesel. I didn’t install it in the 992 as it’s not my daily and I’m also on a list for a 23 turbo so it won’t be here in another year.

Driving down in FL it’s either KA band or laser. The beauty of this system is, when the cops get a new laser gun, AL-priority has an updated software version you can install with a usb drive. It’s far superior to anything else in the market.

Talk to them about “the button” because you’ll need to use it to not raise any cop eyebrows.

Mines programmed to let the cops get my speed under laser after 5 seconds. You can program this for any times or never let the jammers release. That’s your call. The reason for it, if you get slammed with laser, the system screams at you….. I instantly slow down and then press the button when I’m in an acceptable speed. The cop gets the reading and I’m now just in the normal above speed or at speed.

If the cop never gets a reading, he may pull you over for further investigation and that’s what you want to avoid especially in states where jammers are illegal (SC and VA) so it can be used anywhere. Slick stuff!
Oh yes I’m a counter measures hobbyist . I’ve been using ALP/DSP for many years. I’m also a member of the RDF forum although that forum sucks.
The following users liked this post:
Mmade992 (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:27 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 440 Likes on 197 Posts

I second the ALP jammers and have a kill switch on mine as well. They’ve saved me several times and with a good install they can be super stealth. While legal in WA I know they **** off the police so I always kill them after slowing down to avoid another ticket (like a no front plate which I refuse to add to my cars)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:45 AM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

Not to hijack this thread but does the 911 sit too low to the ground to use the ALP TX sensors?
Old 07-16-2022, 04:34 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
Outstanding. That’s exactly what is being installed. I’ll be doing a video of the install and if you are really into this stuff you’re going to freak out when you see this unbelievable professional stealth install. It’s beyond awesome. Stay tuned.

Did you get the car back from your installer?

I found this video of a stealth install on a Turbo-S…..

Patton250 (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 09:34 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
My idle is 900 is sport and sport plus, probably 600-650 in normal, which it never gets driven in that mode, but it's not always 900, some times 900-1000. Not sure about your "shimmy" issue, maybe a gator or big snake crawled up under the car JK.
this is correct and normal, if temperature of Catalytic converter is not optimal, car will increase rpm when idle.
this is in order to reduce emission.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:43 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mmade992
Did you get the car back from your installer?

I found this video of a stealth install on a Turbo-S…..

https://youtu.be/5aQ1e8q8sp8
Yes I did and it’s absolutely ridiculous. I have never seen such a beautiful install. I’ll do some video soon and post it. I know Ariel well a.k.a. Vortex. He’s really into this hobby big-time. He writes articles and makes all kinds of videos. He’s a nice guy. He’s mostly set up to teach beginners. There’s so much to be learned about properly using countermeasures to defend ourselves against revenue generators i.e. the police.

Originally Posted by Norge911
this is correct and normal, if temperature of Catalytic converter is not optimal, car will increase rpm when idle.
this is in order to reduce emission.
Yes. My turbo S idols at 1200 RPM during warm-up.
Mmade992 (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 10:34 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
I was mostly joking. An Italian tune up is basically driving the ever loving sh*t out of the car.

Bad gas is certainly a possibility. Have you checked for any codes? I’m not that much help - maybe you can touch base with whoever made the tune and see if they have any ideas.
So after lots of back-and-forth and adjusting the tune with M Engineering we got it kind of figured out what caused all of this. I have to start from the beginning.

1. Late April I picked the car up in Maryland and drove 1200 miles back home to Tampa completing the break-in. No abnormalities in the car whatsoever that I could tell. My sales people did warn me that this race engine would make all kinds of noises you don’t hear in normal cars and that I should not worry about it. They were right. Lol.
2. Saturday, May 21 I drive down to Bradenton motor Speedway and meet M Engineering and they load up my car with a stage 1 tune. In this tune they remove the auto start/start and they increase the horsepower. Everything is great. The car runs fantastic and I can tell it’s much faster.
3. June 7 I finally get my Akrapovic catback and L-Pipes. They are installed. On the drive home everything goes fine. I really thought it would throw a light but it didn’t. When I got home I had a new Tune from M engineering waiting for me to bring my car to a stage 2. They also removed the cold start and any new codes for any problems with the new exhaust system that could cause an engine light to come on. This is when I started noticing some problems. First off I did not like the way the exhaust started to sound after this. It was really obnoxious and had a horrible drown. In sport and sport plus it was just intolerable. Normal mode seemed OK. Of course the young people I had in the car thought it was awesome but I was seriously considering removing the exhaust system. this is also when the shimming started happening at red lights. I’m talking a good 4/4 inch to a half inch left and right. Enough to make my bottled water shake back-and-forth. I knew this was not normal. I also noticed some strange what I thought was gear shifting sounds when going from 70 mph to 90 mph but letting off really fast. I don’t know how to describe it. Everyone that drove with me heard it also. I did some logging for M engineering so they can try to troubleshoot. I can’t say enough about this company. They are always there for you.
4. I got very concerned so I brought the car back to stock tune. Everything went back to normal. The exhaust sounded wonderful again and the shimmying was gone. The noise it was making going from 70 mph and 90 mph also went away. I did get an engine light though and that was caused by the new exhaust system. The software M engineering gives you is so awesome. You can hook it right up to your car and it will tell you what the engine light was from. Of course I knew ahead of time what it was but the software verified it. I informed M engineering and they sent me a new tune. This time in this tune they gave me the codes to eliminate the engine light from coming on because of the new exhaust, eliminate auto shut off, and eliminate cold start and they did something to quiet the exhaust. Now the exhaust sounded perfect. I mean absolutely wonderful. The car was fast again and no more engine light. However the shimmying was still there. WTF! Well gentlemen life is troubleshooting right? There’s only one thing that could possibly be causing this and that is the elimination of the cold start. I tell M engineering and they write up a new tune
5. M engineering sends me a new tune. This time they leave the cold start, eliminate auto shut off, stage 2 Tune, tweak the exhaust sounds and of course have the codes to eliminate engine light from the new exhaust. Gentlemen everything is perfect now. The shimmying is gone, the exhaust sounds blissful and the car runs great. Something in the code for the elimination for the cold start was causing the shimming. When M engineering has time I’m sure they will troubleshoot that to figure out why it’s only happening in my car and not others. Either way they back their product 100% and have the best customer service I’ve seen in a long time.

Sorry for the long write up. I hope this helps clarify everything I went through. I just want the car to run right and it does now. I can deal with the cold start up in most situations. It’s pretty obnoxious with the Akrapovic but then again some people really like that. Lol.

Last edited by Patton250; 07-18-2022 at 07:52 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Patton250:
abiazis (07-17-2022), Norsk (07-19-2022), Pad Bender (07-19-2022), rk-d (07-17-2022), wotaskd (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 03:25 PM
wotaskd
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 118 Posts

Excellent summary, thanks for this! It surely will help some of us along the way.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:43 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 130 Posts

That’s fantastic and it sounds like you’re in tune with your car to be able to figure all of that out!
Old 07-19-2022, 08:12 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 656 Posts

Glad u sorted it out...

Interesting that engine should could be significantly modulated by the tune.

I'm running smoothly but still have cold start and auto shutoff operation...just leave the shutoff accessible on screen next to carplay.

Now...let's get that draggy out...!
Old 07-20-2022, 11:08 AM
Markoz28
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

I still do not have my first Porsche and waiting patiently with some pain and suffering in my soul for 10 months now just for allocation to come up. I have had numerous cars with tunes. Sometimes, even the same tune needs to be re-flashed. MY BMW when flashed the first time the gas pedal would not work. Car would just roll with idle. I flashed back to stock for a couple of days and then re-installed the tune. Everything went great from there. Strange stuff.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:21 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Any issues with heat soak? Some complaints about this on the Carrera board.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:23 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Any issues with heat soak? Some complaints about this on the Carrera board.
I have no idea what that is. Lol. Sorry.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:16 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Running hard in the heat can increase intake air temps if cooling is inadequate, which leads to a drop off in power. So if you are doing multiple aggressive runs in the heat, power starts dropping off. I think you live in the South (I'm on the Gulf Coast) so I was curious, since I've been toying with idea of getting a tune.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:20 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 608 Posts

boosted/pressurized air will increase in temp and therefore heat up the entire engine. Intercoolers are designed to cool that boosted/pressurized air so as to reduce heat soak and to increase air density further so there is more potential for power generation. M Engineering has mentioned a few times how important it is to upgrade the intercoolers of the 992TT and/or spray meth/H2O to reduce temps further. Heat soak is the equivalent to heat stroke in athletes.

Quick Reply: Two Interesting Symptoms