Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Two Interesting Symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 07:09 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
before you take it to a porsche dealer, ABSOLUTELY put it back to stock. This will already be iffy as if there's an issue, they will check boost readings and see they've been higher and they can void your powertrain warranty. Wouldn't given them any extra hints.
That’s not true. Not for my dealer anyway. They put tunes on their new cars at my dealership all the time right in house. Having said that it doesn’t hurt to put it back to stock whenever you bring it to a dealership. It takes like four minutes. Literally four minutes from the time you start to finish.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:21 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
That’s not true. Not for my dealer anyway. They put tunes on their new cars at my dealership all the time right in house. Having said that it doesn’t hurt to put it back to stock whenever you bring it to a dealership. It takes like four minutes. Literally four minutes from the time you start to finish.
Some dealerships offer their own in house warranty for tunes they install. I think Champion may do this.

The reality is that if there was a major power train failure (ie an engine blows up or a PDK dies), then PAG will do their forensics on the car. It’s really out of the dealer’s hands on stuff like that. And regardless of whether it’s flashed to stock, they will figure out that the car was tuned. Hopefully they would demonstrate goodwill, assuming the tune wasn’t some 1000 hp monster, but it’s a roll of the dice at that point.

I seriously doubt this will be your case, but agree flashing back to stock before bringing it in is a good idea.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:32 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Some dealerships offer their own in house warranty for tunes they install. I think Champion may do this.

The reality is that if there was a major power train failure (ie an engine blows up or a PDK dies), then PAG will do their forensics on the car. It’s really out of the dealer’s hands on stuff like that. And regardless of whether it’s flashed to stock, they will figure out that the car was tuned. Hopefully they would demonstrate goodwill, assuming the tune wasn’t some 1000 hp monster, but it’s a roll of the dice at that point.

I seriously doubt this will be your case, but agree flashing back to stock before bringing it in is a good idea.
Well then there’s a whole bunch of lying going on here from tuning companies to Porsche dealerships. And they would’ve got away with it if it wasn’t for you. :-)
Old 06-29-2022, 08:39 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Well then there’s a whole bunch of lying going on here from tuning companies to Porsche dealerships. And they would’ve got away with it if it wasn’t for you. :-)
Haha. Well I think the point is that there really aren’t big time powertrain failures on this car, tuned or not. So it’s not really been an issue that comes up very much at all.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:40 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 480 Posts

IF there is an issue that requires a new engine, trans, or any research into it...you will be the one paying for a it. PCNA is no joke when it comes to this stuff anymore. Doesn't mean your dealer won't try to help you, but if it has to go to porsche to analyze the diagnostics, they will 100 percent find out and void your OEM warranty. Granted hopefully the issue isn't anything related to that and they rarely have mammoth issues even still...but better to prepare accordingly.

Last edited by sechsgang; 06-29-2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:49 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

This is one of those situations where I might take it to an Indy first to assess things. No reason to give Porsche a reason to flag your car unnecessarily. If the Indy finds a warranty issue, take it to the dealer.

Something to think about.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:08 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 438 Likes on 197 Posts

I’ve seen this before In a friends modified car (a 991.2) and definitely your mods and you should revert back to stock ASAP and get to your Porsche dealer. You may have already damaged the car and the big question is if they will heap/deal with it under warranty. Really depends on your dealer. If not probably have to just pay for repairs.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:10 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RCorsa
I’ve seen this before In a friends modified car (a 991.2) and definitely your mods and you should revert back to stock ASAP and get to your Porsche dealer. You may have already damaged the car and the big question is if they will heap/deal with it under warranty. Really depends on your dealer. If not probably have to just pay for repairs.
Enough of your scare tactics and trolling
Old 06-30-2022, 04:24 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 438 Likes on 197 Posts

Trolling. Lol. Do you even know that that means. You are such a clown. You even mention this is your first Porsche. I’ve been an long time owner/member of countless models for years and you bought your first Porsche and joined 2 months ago. I assume if your IQ is over 70 and you can read that several members mention the mods being an issue. Scram 🤡

Last edited by RCorsa; 06-30-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:30 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RCorsa
Trolling. Lol. Do you even know that that means. You are such a clown. You even mention this is your first Porsche. I’ve been an long time owner/member of countless models for years and you bought your first Porsche and joined 2 months ago. I assume if your IQ is over 70 and you can read that several members mention the mods being an issue. Scram 🤡
Well then stop trying to scare people. I know what trolling means. What you’re basically doing is insulting the tuning company. I get it. I suppose I shouldn’t of called you out on it. That caused you to name call.

I promise I’m not a clown. :-). I’ve also tuned many cars. I guess I’m just being defensive of the tuning company. Take it as you will.

Last edited by Patton250; 06-30-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:40 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 654 Posts

This is my first Porshe too...but have modded plenty of Audis and felt that paranoia going into the dealership, but found a mod friendly service adviser who was focused on customer service.

The change in idle speed is likely related to tune/exhaust...when i installed the exhaust, noticed idle was slightly higher. In stock tune..it varies between 700 in normal and 800 in sport/sport plus. It stays at about 800 with tune after exhaust installation.

The shimmy...that seems like a failed motor mount. Probably wouldn't rear its head until you have done some spirited driving. I agree with an inspection at an Porsche indy shop first with the tune. Do some data logging to and send to M-E.

You are low kilometers and if its a parts failure...uninstall the tune and keep the discussion focused on the issue. Hope the helps.
The following users liked this post:
Patton250 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 04:46 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
This is my first Porshe too...but have modded plenty of Audis and felt that paranoia going into the dealership, but found a mod friendly service adviser who was focused on customer service.

The change in idle speed is likely related to tune/exhaust...when i installed the exhaust, noticed idle was slightly higher. In stock tune..it varies between 700 in normal and 800 in sport/sport plus. It stays at about 800 with tune after exhaust installation.

The shimmy...that seems like a failed motor mount. Probably wouldn't rear its head until you have done some spirited driving. I agree with an inspection at an Porsche indy shop first with the tune. Do some data logging to and send to M-E.

You are low kilometers and if its a parts failure...uninstall the tune and keep the discussion focused on the issue. Hope the helps.
Thank you for a well-thought out and kind post. Actually most of what you said is pretty accurate and I plan on giving a full report when I am through with everything. I’m almost done now. I apologize for the delay but my car is back in a specialty shop getting some countermeasures installed. That’s laser jammers and Radar Detectors. When I get it back tomorrow there’s a few things I have to do to it and I will give a four report of everything we found out and what we did to correct it. Turned out to be pretty simple. I just didn’t want to give a partial report. I regret that this caused some scare tactics to be thrown at tuning by some. That’s not why I started this thread. Thanks again.
Pad Bender (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 09:50 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 127 Posts

Thank you for a well-thought out and kind post. Actually most of what you said is pretty accurate and I plan on giving a full report when I am through with everything. I’m almost done now. I apologize for the delay but my car is back in a specialty shop getting some countermeasures installed. That’s laser jammers and Radar Detectors. When I get it back tomorrow there’s a few things I have to do to it and I will give a four report of everything we found out and what we did to correct it. Turned out to be pretty simple. I just didn’t want to give a partial report. I regret that this caused some scare tactics to be thrown at tuning by some. That’s not why I started this thread. Thanks again.
What jammers did you get installed? I have AL-Priority with net radars front and rear and it’s saved my *** multiple times!
Patton250 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 10:00 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mmade992
What jammers did you get installed? I have AL-Priority with net radars front and rear and it’s saved my *** multiple times!
Outstanding. That’s exactly what is being installed. I’ll be doing a video of the install and if you are really into this stuff you’re going to freak out when you see this unbelievable professional stealth install. It’s beyond awesome. Stay tuned.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:13 AM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 127 Posts

Outstanding. That’s exactly what is being installed. I’ll be doing a video of the install and if you are really into this stuff you’re going to freak out when you see this unbelievable professional stealth install. It’s beyond awesome. Stay tuned.

Nice! The high end install shops go with the best stuff and install it in very creative ways! Can’t wait to see those pictures and you’re gonna love that setup. I travel for my job and have installed this system in my LS460L then my ES350 and now I’m putting it into my Cayenne Diesel. I didn’t install it in the 992 as it’s not my daily and I’m also on a list for a 23 turbo so it won’t be here in another year.

Driving down in FL it’s either KA band or laser. The beauty of this system is, when the cops get a new laser gun, AL-priority has an updated software version you can install with a usb drive. It’s far superior to anything else in the market.

Talk to them about “the button” because you’ll need to use it to not raise any cop eyebrows.

Mines programmed to let the cops get my speed under laser after 5 seconds. You can program this for any times or never let the jammers release. That’s your call. The reason for it, if you get slammed with laser, the system screams at you….. I instantly slow down and then press the button when I’m in an acceptable speed. The cop gets the reading and I’m now just in the normal above speed or at speed.

If the cop never gets a reading, he may pull you over for further investigation and that’s what you want to avoid especially in states where jammers are illegal (SC and VA) so it can be used anywhere. Slick stuff!
Patton250 (07-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Two Interesting Symptoms