Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992 Turbo S vs. 765LT (Dragy Street Results)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 01:56 PM
houstonT
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I will try to run the car with tune in the same conditions/gas/tire pressures/temps. I’m guessing 9.8-9.9@140 ish.

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Those are EXCELLENT real world data points for that weight, power and DA. On the money. Well Done !

Obviously the 765 is quicker/faster , but those times from a comfortable , drivers car, 992 is very impressive.
Will be interesting to see the Tune changes.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:26 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Great test. Those rolling race times for the 765LT are ridiculous. Can anything touch it stock short of an SF90 or Model S Plaid?

With 992 TTS prices approaching $300k and used 765LTs well above $500k in my area, I suppose this result is as expected--the gap in performance does make me wonder if I should just ditch my 992 TTS search and save my pennies for a 765LT.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckard
Great test. Those rolling race times for the 765LT are ridiculous. Can anything touch it stock short of an SF90 or Model S Plaid?

With 992 TTS prices approaching $300k and used 765LTs well above $500k in my area, I suppose this result is as expected--the gap in performance does make me wonder if I should just ditch my 992 TTS search and save my pennies for a 765LT.
Very different cars, though. Frankly, having both makes more sense than cross-shopping.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:03 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 858 Posts

There are quite a few of used 720S on cars.com for $25x,xxx They should be a solid 4.8 - 4.9 car stock.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:57 PM
houstonT
Advanced

Yea the 765LT is a MONSTER from a roll stock...the SF90 and Plaid are right there with it...depending on conditions, would be very close.I agree with your price assessment though...if you want FAST, buy a used R8 UGR TT or used Huracan UGR TT. Otherwise stock, the 765 is tough to beat.
Peter

Old 02-11-2022, 10:27 PM
topherserrano
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonT
UPDATE: much better conditions today to run the 992 Turbo S. 65 degrees and sunny. I had only a few gallons of gas in the car. I dropped tire pressures slightly. Turned off all traction control and PSM.

0-60 2.55s
60-130 6.65s
100-150 6.95s
1/4 mile 10.16@136.41 mph
1/2 mile 16.02@166.89 mph

I ran the car in the exact same spot as the 765LT. The slope is weird because I always start and finish at the same place. In looking at the numbers the 0-60 slope is messed up which in turn messes up the avg slope over the full run. The road was flat there. Anyhow, time to put the M-Engineering tune on the 992.
Could you share what tire pressures you found to be effective? Also, did you have any aero activated and was the Sport Response button activated as well? Thanks for sharing, incredible numbers. I’m curious to see the results in comparison to a closer to 0.XX % Slope during the Dragy run.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:29 PM
houstonT
Advanced

Good questions:

Front 33
Rear 30
Sport Plus
Gas under 1/8th tank
I forgot to press the Sport Response button...LOL

Peter

Originally Posted by topherserrano
Could you share what tire pressures you found to be effective? Also, did you have any aero activated and was the Sport Response button activated as well? Thanks for sharing, incredible numbers. I’m curious to see the results in comparison to a closer to 0.XX % Slope during the Dragy run.

Last edited by houstonT; 02-11-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:47 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

[QUOTE=topherserrano;17968628]Could you share what tire pressures you found to be effective? Also, did you have any aero activated and was the Sport Response button activated as well? Thanks for sharing, incredible numbers. I’m curious to see the results in comparison to a closer to 0.XX % Slope during the Dragy run.[/QUOTE]

Wow!! I'd also be curious to see "Valid" Dragy numbers in comparison to these impressive downhill numbers!
Old 02-12-2022, 12:06 PM
houstonT
Advanced

Fellas, per my original post, the slope has got to be completely messed up. There are known issues with the altitude function on dragy...few things:

1. I ran the car in the exact same spot as I ran my 765LT. The 765LT slope was -0.81%. Should be identical on the 992 run and isn't?
2. The road is flat in this spot I run.
3. I ran 2 more times after that run, the slope was -0.5%...unfortunately the car was heat soaked and kept getting slower/slower. She heat soaks easily.
4. 20 years ago, when I first started TX2K, we would have 60-130 events at a local Houston track...back then we used the VBOX. The standard acceptable slope on 6speedonline and every where else was -3.0%. I know the owner of Dragy, he came to TX2K on several occasions and he recognizes that -1.0% slope is basically flat and up to about 4-5% you shouldn't see much difference.
5. The whole purpose of this for me is to get my BEST pass in the 765LT, the 992TS stock and the 992TS with tune...all in the EXACT same place, to compare apples/apples.

Anyhow, tune goes on this weekend.

Peter
The following 3 users liked this post by houstonT:
heshalosny (02-12-2022), NVRANUF (02-12-2022), topherserrano (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 12:14 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 858 Posts

Fellas, per my original post, the slope has got to be completely messed up. There are known issues with the altitude function on dragy...few things:

1. I ran the car in the exact same spot as I ran my 765LT. The 765LT slope was -0.81%. Should be identical on the 992 run and isn't?
3. I ran 2 more times after that run, the slope was -0.5%...unfortunately the car was heat soaked and kept getting slower/slower. She heat soaks easily.
4. 20 years ago, when I first started TX2K, we would have 60-130 events at a local Houston track...back then we used the VBOX. The standard acceptable slope on 6speedonline and every where else was -3.0%. I know the owner of Dragy, he came to TX2K on several occasions and he recognizes that -1.0% slope is basically flat and up to about 4-5% you shouldn't see much difference.
5. The whole purpose of this for me is to get my BEST pass in the 765LT, the 992TS stock and the 992TS with tune...all in the EXACT same place, to compare apples/apples.

Peter
Don’t worry about the slope at all. I’ve seen the same thing with Dragy as we only have one “spot “ here. 0.35 to 1.1 depending on the moon phase. Unless you are actually going over 2% , it’s not a big deal anyway.

Bring on the M tune !
Old 02-12-2022, 12:43 PM
Markoz28
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Amazing results running 10.16 in 1/4 stock. 9.8 with a tune for sure.

Any plans for exhaust?
Old 02-12-2022, 12:54 PM
topherserrano
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 35 Posts

Peter

Yeah, I figured something with the GPS was wonky. I’ve been experiencing a similar phenomenon with runs I repeat at the same location deviating in slope even though start and end of the run are performed exactly the same.

One last question: confirming your results are with a 93 Octane Stage 1 calibration?

Also, I’ve read several times while in Sport Plus, turning off all aero (retracting front splitter and rear wing), turning off traction control (one press of the TC toggle, NOT press & hold), keeping PDCC to “Normal Chassis” instead of “Sport Chassis” (allows rear to squat during launch/less initial wheel spin), coupled with activating the Sport Response button prior to Launch yielded the quickest times during the testing of a stock 992 TTS by several magazine reviewers. You can create and save this “custom” configuration in “Individual” mode of the Sport Chrono Drive Mode Dial. Give it a shot. Looking forward to your results with the tune.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:33 PM
houstonT
Advanced

For now, TUNE ONLY...but I'm shocked at how heat soaked the cars gets after a long pull and how much the times/mph's reduce after the first major pull. What would solve that issue? I/C's?

Peter

Originally Posted by Markoz28
Amazing results running 10.16 in 1/4 stock. 9.8 with a tune for sure.

Any plans for exhaust?
The following users liked this post:
CDinSing (02-15-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 03:35 PM
houstonT
Advanced

Car is BONE STOCK with no mods and on 93 octane gas. That's what we have here in DFW. I did Sport Plus and held traction (press and hold). Maybe I should try the way you explain below? Hmmmmmmm. And I did forget to push the sport response button SMH.

Peter

Originally Posted by topherserrano
Yeah, I figured something with the GPS was wonky. I’ve been experiencing a similar phenomenon with runs I repeat at the same location deviating in slope even though start and end of the run are performed exactly the same.

One last question: confirming your results are with a 93 Octane Stage 1 calibration?

Also, I’ve read several times while in Sport Plus, turning off all aero (retracting front splitter and rear wing), turning off traction control (one press of the TC toggle, NOT press & hold), keeping PDCC to “Normal Chassis” instead of “Sport Chassis” (allows rear to squat during launch/less initial wheel spin), coupled with activating the Sport Response button prior to Launch yielded the quickest times during the testing of a stock 992 TTS by several magazine reviewers. You can create and save this “custom” configuration in “Individual” mode of the Sport Chrono Drive Mode Dial. Give it a shot. Looking forward to your results with the tune.
topherserrano (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 11:44 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 598 Posts

For now, TUNE ONLY...but I'm shocked at how heat soaked the cars gets after a long pull and how much the times/mph's reduce after the first major pull. What would solve that issue? I/C's?

Peter
What does get heat soaked? Check the data log first - is it intake air temp or something else? It can also be turbo or exhaust gas temps or maybe even something else. Or could be even a tune issue - tune causing pinging or pre-ignition once the engine gets hot. These cars are too smart and protect themselves, so reduced power can be a result of a lot of things. For example, on my 991.2 with performance exhaust and big intercoolers, the culprit was the tune. As soon as the engine got hotter, it did all kinds of wrong things and engine pulled power. But the same temps with stock tune caused no power loss.

Edit - noticed it's for stock car. Still, do a data log to know more definitively what causes the reduction of power. It's not as straight-forward even with a data log, though, because everything gets hotter, so hard to say what causes the reduced performance. If you decide to tune, maybe the tuner can work with you to determine the culprit.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 02-12-2022 at 11:47 PM.
piripi14 (01-18-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Turbo S vs. 765LT (Dragy Street Results)