Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

This car is awesome…

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 01:32 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
I want to join the chorus of people saying how terrific your car looks: great color, great spec.

With everything going on with the move from VA to CA, I'm still early in the break-in period on my '21 TTS, but I am totally amazed by what a complete sports car this is. Thanks for your comments about the car coming alive. The Normal mode feels as if it is geared for economy so it's exciting to know that performance might improve with more miles because it's feeling really good already! I typically drive in manual mode, so at least I can protect the car from lugging during break-in when in Normal mode.

In another post, I mentioned that I had to get the mileage on our TTS to a few hundred miles before it could be smog tested as required for cars coming into the state. On two tries, the techs didn't even write up a ticket. They plugged in the OBD reader and said: It's not ready. It hasn't reset. Go put some miles on it. So, I did a couple Porsche drive cycles that I found on Google which cleared the codes and it passed. I wonder if this engine reset after a few hundred miles of variable driving is a fuel richness or ignition setting thing that helps the break-in process, and once the reset occurs, the car's performance opens up.
I have a sneaking suspicion there is a break in mode with this car. I always thought that was a myth, but maybe not?

For me, even when the car was brand new, I have only used Normal mode when driving in a parking lot. Otherwise, it's Sport or Sport-plus when I'm really driving it. As you sort of pointed out - Normal tends to be super aggressive in upshifting and I think lugging the engine is probably a lot worse than more revs.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:40 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I have a sneaking suspicion there is a break in mode with this car. I always thought that was a myth, but maybe not?

For me, even when the car was brand new, I have only used Normal mode when driving in a parking lot. Otherwise, it's Sport or Sport-plus when I'm really driving it. As you sort of pointed out - Normal tends to be super aggressive in upshifting and I think lugging the engine is probably a lot worse than more revs.
‘It wouldn’t surprise me if it did have a break in mode, and also wouldn’t surprise me if the car continued to get faster over the next few hundred miles.

I concur that the color is stunning. I seriously thought about it for my next one, but ended up choosing Superior Red Metallic. My 993TT was Arena Red over grey leather and I wanted something similar in character and relatively uncommon.
The following users liked this post:
rk-d (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 03:50 AM
Sorcerer 11
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 110 Posts

Mine definitely got faster with more miles, its a missile and anyone in the real world cannot complain about the performance!
Enjoy.
rk-d (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 08:09 AM
Justinanus
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
‘It wouldn’t surprise me if it did have a break in mode, and also wouldn’t surprise me if the car continued to get faster over the next few hundred miles.

I concur that the color is stunning. I seriously thought about it for my next one, but ended up choosing Superior Red Metallic. My 993TT was Arena Red over grey leather and I wanted something similar in character and relatively uncommon.
I have a Superior Red TTS Cabrio on order. She is expected to be delivered in March here in Germany. When is your car due?

best,
Florian
Old 01-16-2022, 08:34 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G

My 993 is also Arena Red. I love the hint of purple in that color.

Superior Red Metallic is an outstanding color for a Touring. That's going to be a gorgeous car.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:46 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
Glad tats a different impression than you had when you first drove one on the porsche corporate track...seemed to recall it felt underpowered.
That's what a stock one feels like to me now, even my 700 hp Callaway Tahoe feels like a lawn tractor
Old 01-16-2022, 08:47 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinanus
I have a Superior Red TTS Cabrio on order. She is expected to be delivered in March here in Germany. When is your car due?

best,
Florian
I have a June build with planned August delivery.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:50 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d

Some cars do have it programmed in, NOT these cars, it just takes much longer to break in an engine that starts it's life with synthetic oil, and they do get slightly more powerful after full break in
Old 01-16-2022, 08:59 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hcvone
Some cars do have it programmed in, NOT these cars, it just takes much longer to break in an engine that starts it's life with synthetic oil, and they do get slightly more powerful after full break in
I've never really bought into the break in programming theory until this car, so I'd believe you if you said it's not so. The engine just felt tighter when it was brand new - maybe a little more than most.

I have no plans to tune the car, but (eventually) my HREs will arrive and those will probably be a good 10 lbs lighter per corner. That should be noticeable.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:23 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 596 Posts

In my experience with a bunch of German cars across multiple brands, all the engines continue to feel stronger till around 10 k miles
not related to a break-in mode
contrary to like a Nissan GTR , and I have had two of them , engine felt the same with use
Old 01-16-2022, 01:23 PM
crazyrob
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

I am super happy to hear all of the glowing reviews on performance. Coming from two Caymans my biggest complaint (obviously) was the fact that in the past they tended to cut back on the HP these cars could utilize. I wanted more power, but was nervous about losing the feel of a sports car. With all of the comments on how they have made the current TTS feel less numb and moved it closer to a GT-3...and the massive power gains...and the looks...this thing really is an instant classic.

Furthermore is this not going to be the last true turbo? I would think the next variant is going to be a hybrid on the route to full electric.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:32 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 565 Posts

After about 1,500 miles, the TTS, albeit a 991.2 seems to take on a different higher power band.....my 991.2 GT3 also did it at about the same mileage...I followed break-in procedures per the manual on my cars...
Old 01-16-2022, 01:50 PM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 162 Posts

The stock car is awesome. After headers, sports cats, exhaust, intercooler, plenum, and supersprint accelerator remap...it's insane. And I still need to get it tuned... More is always better, and Porsche's have so much more to give.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:16 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

So far, my favorite TTS thus far. Car looks epic. Well played OP!
GL/Cheers,
B
rk-d (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 11:06 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
I had a SA tell me that Porsche limits turbo boost thru break-in, then it automatically goes to where it should post break-in. FWIW

Quick Reply: This car is awesome…