Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 Turbo and Turbo S (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turbo-and-turbo-s-258/)
-   -   This car is awesome… (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turbo-and-turbo-s/1285372-this-car-is-awesomeo.html)

rk-d 01-16-2022 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen (Post 17908552)
I want to join the chorus of people saying how terrific your car looks: great color, great spec.

With everything going on with the move from VA to CA, I'm still early in the break-in period on my '21 TTS, but I am totally amazed by what a complete sports car this is. Thanks for your comments about the car coming alive. The Normal mode feels as if it is geared for economy so it's exciting to know that performance might improve with more miles because it's feeling really good already! I typically drive in manual mode, so at least I can protect the car from lugging during break-in when in Normal mode.

In another post, I mentioned that I had to get the mileage on our TTS to a few hundred miles before it could be smog tested as required for cars coming into the state. On two tries, the techs didn't even write up a ticket. They plugged in the OBD reader and said: It's not ready. It hasn't reset. Go put some miles on it. So, I did a couple Porsche drive cycles that I found on Google which cleared the codes and it passed. I wonder if this engine reset after a few hundred miles of variable driving is a fuel richness or ignition setting thing that helps the break-in process, and once the reset occurs, the car's performance opens up.

I have a sneaking suspicion there is a break in mode with this car. I always thought that was a myth, but maybe not?

For me, even when the car was brand new, I have only used Normal mode when driving in a parking lot. Otherwise, it's Sport or Sport-plus when I'm really driving it. As you sort of pointed out - Normal tends to be super aggressive in upshifting and I think lugging the engine is probably a lot worse than more revs.

Dr. G 01-16-2022 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by rk-d (Post 17908596)
I have a sneaking suspicion there is a break in mode with this car. I always thought that was a myth, but maybe not?

For me, even when the car was brand new, I have only used Normal mode when driving in a parking lot. Otherwise, it's Sport or Sport-plus when I'm really driving it. As you sort of pointed out - Normal tends to be super aggressive in upshifting and I think lugging the engine is probably a lot worse than more revs.

‘It wouldn’t surprise me if it did have a break in mode, and also wouldn’t surprise me if the car continued to get faster over the next few hundred miles.

I concur that the color is stunning. I seriously thought about it for my next one, but ended up choosing Superior Red Metallic. My 993TT was Arena Red over grey leather and I wanted something similar in character and relatively uncommon.

Sorcerer 11 01-16-2022 03:50 AM

Mine definitely got faster with more miles, its a missile and anyone in the real world cannot complain about the performance!
Enjoy.

Justinanus 01-16-2022 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. G (Post 17908656)
‘It wouldn’t surprise me if it did have a break in mode, and also wouldn’t surprise me if the car continued to get faster over the next few hundred miles.

I concur that the color is stunning. I seriously thought about it for my next one, but ended up choosing Superior Red Metallic. My 993TT was Arena Red over grey leather and I wanted something similar in character and relatively uncommon.

I have a Superior Red TTS Cabrio on order. She is expected to be delivered in March here in Germany. When is your car due?

best,
Florian

rk-d 01-16-2022 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. G (Post 17908656)

My 993 is also Arena Red. I love the hint of purple in that color.

Superior Red Metallic is an outstanding color for a Touring. That's going to be a gorgeous car.

hcvone 01-16-2022 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pad Bender (Post 17908173)
Glad tats a different impression than you had when you first drove one on the porsche corporate track...seemed to recall it felt underpowered.

That's what a stock one feels like to me now, even my 700 hp Callaway Tahoe feels like a lawn tractor

Dr. G 01-16-2022 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Justinanus (Post 17908779)
I have a Superior Red TTS Cabrio on order. She is expected to be delivered in March here in Germany. When is your car due?

best,
Florian

I have a June build with planned August delivery.

hcvone 01-16-2022 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by rk-d (Post 17908596)

Some cars do have it programmed in, NOT these cars, it just takes much longer to break in an engine that starts it's life with synthetic oil, and they do get slightly more powerful after full break in

rk-d 01-16-2022 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by hcvone (Post 17908812)
Some cars do have it programmed in, NOT these cars, it just takes much longer to break in an engine that starts it's life with synthetic oil, and they do get slightly more powerful after full break in

I've never really bought into the break in programming theory until this car, so I'd believe you if you said it's not so. The engine just felt tighter when it was brand new - maybe a little more than most.

I have no plans to tune the car, but (eventually) my HREs will arrive and those will probably be a good 10 lbs lighter per corner. That should be noticeable.

pitt911 01-16-2022 09:23 AM

In my experience with a bunch of German cars across multiple brands, all the engines continue to feel stronger till around 10 k miles
not related to a break-in mode
contrary to like a Nissan GTR , and I have had two of them , engine felt the same with use

crazyrob 01-16-2022 01:23 PM

I am super happy to hear all of the glowing reviews on performance. Coming from two Caymans my biggest complaint (obviously) was the fact that in the past they tended to cut back on the HP these cars could utilize. I wanted more power, but was nervous about losing the feel of a sports car. With all of the comments on how they have made the current TTS feel less numb and moved it closer to a GT-3...and the massive power gains...and the looks...this thing really is an instant classic.

Furthermore is this not going to be the last true turbo? I would think the next variant is going to be a hybrid on the route to full electric.

abiazis 01-16-2022 01:32 PM

After about 1,500 miles, the TTS, albeit a 991.2 seems to take on a different higher power band.....my 991.2 GT3 also did it at about the same mileage...I followed break-in procedures per the manual on my cars...

PorscheSince2013 01-16-2022 01:50 PM

The stock car is awesome. After headers, sports cats, exhaust, intercooler, plenum, and supersprint accelerator remap...it's insane. And I still need to get it tuned... More is always better, and Porsche's have so much more to give.

BenDiem 01-16-2022 08:16 PM

So far, my favorite TTS thus far. Car looks epic. Well played OP!
GL/Cheers,
B

chance6 01-16-2022 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by hcvone (Post 17908812)

I had a SA tell me that Porsche limits turbo boost thru break-in, then it automatically goes to where it should post break-in. FWIW