Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

What would you do in this situation…

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 12:47 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts
Default What would you do in this situation…

On August 20th I emailed my SA asking if my build had locked as a few members here had indicated that their lock dates were pushed back. I wanted to change the exterior color to Shark Blue after seeing a larger sample. I was sent an email back stating that the build was locked and no other changes could be made. I also inquired about my TYD email as I hadn’t received it as of that time. I got no response regarding TYd access.

On September 20th I emailed Porsche NA with my commission number and asked about not getting my TYD information. On September 21st I received my TYD access from Porsche he and it said my Freeze date milestone was reached on September 17th. This means I could have made the change on August 20th.

I contacted the sales manager at my dealer and he reached out to Porsche and then acknowledged that I could have made the change when I asked. He reached out to the regional rep to see if the exterior color only could be changed on the build at this point because of the miscommunication. The short answer was no, but there may be the possibility of swapping allocations for something that locks at a future time.

I’m still waiting to hear back. My initial delivery date has changed from October to December with my current allocation. I’m debating on whether I should just stick with my current allocation as the chip shortages, delays, etc may create an even longer delay if I swap out. TYD is showing 61 days to delivery as of now with my current commission. So it basically comes down to taking delivery of the sure thing or waiting for the unknown. FWIW, I’m in the Northeast and I probably won’t use the car much during the winter months.

Just curious as to what others would do in this situation.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:29 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
On August 20th I emailed my SA asking if my build had locked as a few members here had indicated that their lock dates were pushed back. I wanted to change the exterior color to Shark Blue after seeing a larger sample. I was sent an email back stating that the build was locked and no other changes could be made. I also inquired about my TYD email as I hadn’t received it as of that time. I got no response regarding TYd access.

On September 20th I emailed Porsche NA with my commission number and asked about not getting my TYD information. On September 21st I received my TYD access from Porsche he and it said my Freeze date milestone was reached on September 17th. This means I could have made the change on August 20th.

I contacted the sales manager at my dealer and he reached out to Porsche and then acknowledged that I could have made the change when I asked. He reached out to the regional rep to see if the exterior color only could be changed on the build at this point because of the miscommunication. The short answer was no, but there may be the possibility of swapping allocations for something that locks at a future time.

I’m still waiting to hear back. My initial delivery date has changed from October to December with my current allocation. I’m debating on whether I should just stick with my current allocation as the chip shortages, delays, etc may create an even longer delay if I swap out. TYD is showing 61 days to delivery as of now with my current commission. So it basically comes down to taking delivery of the sure thing or waiting for the unknown. FWIW, I’m in the Northeast and I probably won’t use the car much during the winter months.

Just curious as to what others would do in this situation.
I would only change if the new allocation is guaranteed. As you know, I had my summer allocation shifted over to fall in order to get PTS, but I didn’t have to surrender the old one before they made the shift. It’s pretty seamless on Porsche’s end.

If they aren’t able to make the shift by the time of delivery - I’d see how you like the car in person and make the call whether to take delivery or pass it on for another allocation. You could be waiting a year for the new allocation to be assigned, built and finally delivered.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (10-03-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 07:01 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 582 Posts

talk to GM , the car is locked already so the ship already sailed
tell him/her you will assess situation at the time of car's arrival at dealership.If you fall in love , you will take delivery, if not they can sell it
meanwhile , GM need to continue working on new allocation for you , which probably will be at the earliest spring delivery or may be later , so you can make up your mind when the new allocation is available ,
they can hold the open allocation till delivery of current car , and depending on your decision you can take or they sell to someone to configure .The new allocation probably will not lock till early 2022
win for both
The following 2 users liked this post by pitt911:
Esquiire (10-06-2021), Steve 96C4S (10-05-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 06:06 PM
Esquiire
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
tell him/her you will assess situation at the time of car's arrival at dealership.If you fall in love , you will take delivery, if not they can sell it
meanwhile , GM need to continue working on new allocation for you , which probably will be at the earliest spring delivery or may be later , so you can make up your mind when the new allocation is available ,
they can hold the open allocation till delivery of current car , and depending on your decision you can take or they sell to someone to configure .The new allocation probably will not lock till early 2022
win for both

Exactly this ^. The only thing I’d add is that you should request (read: demand) a discount from the dealer if you end up taking the chalk (its not the color you wanted) OR the shark blue (for the delay they’ve caused you). What they did was a serious customer service failure. Despite of all of your diligence, their outright negligect and failure to confirm basic data caused this saga, not you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Esquiire:
Steve 96C4S (10-06-2021), Vancouverdoc (10-07-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 06:55 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 634 Likes on 345 Posts

I can tell you from experience that the dealer was telling you the truth. The online information is accurate only for non PTS cars. For PTS cars, the online information is incorrect. It is highly likely that the PTS lock date was a month earlier. PTS cars have different lock schedules due to the custom paint and the configurator does not account for that. Even if you get another PTS allocation and want to change the color, you will see that the online information will give you one lock date, but the dealer will give you a different date. It has to do with the PTS.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:22 PM
Calbenzo
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I can tell you from experience that the dealer was telling you the truth. The online information is accurate only for non PTS cars. For PTS cars, the online information is incorrect. It is highly likely that the PTS lock date was a month earlier. PTS cars have different lock schedules due to the custom paint and the configurator does not account for that. Even if you get another PTS allocation and want to change the color, you will see that the online information will give you one lock date, but the dealer will give you a different date. It has to do with the PTS.
Chalk and Shark Blue are not PTS, however.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:28 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Esquiire
Exactly this ^. The only thing I’d add is that you should request (read: demand) a discount from the dealer if you end up taking the chalk (its not the color you wanted) OR the shark blue (for the delay they’ve caused you). What they did was a serious customer service failure. Despite of all of your diligence, their outright negligect and failure to confirm basic data caused this saga, not you.
Thing is Chalk is the color he initially wanted.....

I think the dealer was being lazy about changing the order and told him no.....regardless he should get a discount on either car....my advice is get the color you want....
Old 10-07-2021, 01:05 PM
Esquiire
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Thing is Chalk is the color he initially wanted.....

I think the dealer was being lazy about changing the order and told him no.....regardless he should get a discount on either car....my advice is get the color you want....
It was once the color he wanted, initially at least, but once he changed his mind… chalk was no longer the color he “wanted.” People are allowed to change their minds about their build as many times as they want before their build locks.

Last edited by Esquiire; 10-07-2021 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-07-2021, 03:48 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

take what they give you, and get the car you want. You're not going to get it when promised in either case!
Old 10-07-2021, 04:37 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
take what they give you, and get the car you want. You're not going to get it when promised in either case!
That I know. The Sales Manager said that he's still waiting to hear from Porsche about the new allocation, as the original order can't be changed.

He also told me that he will have a better idea when my Touring allocation will be available in November when they get their next set. I was hoping to spend some time with the TTS before the Touring came in to figure out which one to keep and if I am going to trade the TTS back. Obviously going with the new allocation will push the two closer together. I think the market will still be favorable if I choose to get out of the TTS when the Touring arrives if I go that route. Or, if I'm willing to gamble, keep both and hope the appreciation of the Touring offsets the depreciation of the TTS,
Steve 96C4S (10-07-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 12:13 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
That I know. The Sales Manager said that he's still waiting to hear from Porsche about the new allocation, as the original order can't be changed.

He also told me that he will have a better idea when my Touring allocation will be available in November when they get their next set. I was hoping to spend some time with the TTS before the Touring came in to figure out which one to keep and if I am going to trade the TTS back. Obviously going with the new allocation will push the two closer together. I think the market will still be favorable if I choose to get out of the TTS when the Touring arrives if I go that route. Or, if I'm willing to gamble, keep both and hope the appreciation of the Touring offsets the depreciation of the TTS,
I strategically did it in reverse, enjoyed and then sold my GT3 for over MSRP, so I could buy a TTS, the higher priced car, that met my daily needs better and carried over the taxes within the same year.......all depends on situation........it seems like you want the touring as a keeper, so go ahead and take the chalk which is a good color to resell versus the blue which may be more common on the 992......the Touring will hold its value longer as you know, but as far as appreciation, you may never realize it as you probably won't ever sell it)))

Steve 96C4S (10-08-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 07:23 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,500 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
win for both
Open allocation? How is that going to work when some dude or bozo walks in and will plunk down $70k ADM...well I just had to go there...

Quick Reply: What would you do in this situation…