The 992 TTS Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 03:45 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The 992 TTS Exhaust Thread

Hi all,

I feel that the exhaust note on these cars is the only thing that is lacking. I have the sports exhaust on my 992 TTS and although it is nice, there is room for much more aggression.

Can we share write ups and videos of exhausts that people have fitted? Please state whether exhaust only has been changed, or exhaust with sports cats, exhaust with straight pipes etc.

I think it is a good idea to have them all in one thread as a reference point.

Cheers!
Old 06-15-2021, 10:04 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a JCR exhaust and cats on order. I’ll post videos here after installation.
The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 10:14 AM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 162 Posts

I think the thing to keep in mind is that the TTS is unlikely to sound similar to a NA engine, even with a new exhaust. New cats and exhaust will deepen and strengthen the overall sound, and highlight some of the pops/crackles, but you aren't going to get the same scream above 4000.

The valves are complex. and they open and close dynamically, I assume to optimize exhaust velocity. It may be the situation that greater flow may result in lower performance.

My new cats and exhaust definitely make the drive more involving. At times, you can feel the exhaust resonate through your feet. The spinning of the turbos is great. It is a different experience compared to a NA engine. I am still getting a feel for it.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:51 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,294 Likes on 653 Posts

JCR cats installed and exhaust on order...should arrive any day now.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:21 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 491 Posts

In Sept Kline headers, Kline 100 cell cats and Kline valved exhaust in inconel. Will be on video on it's Cali vacation.
Pad Bender (06-15-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 03:07 PM
AIM Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

We have 1 Kline 992 exhaust available for immediate , no wait
Old 06-16-2021, 11:56 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
JCR cats installed and exhaust on order...should arrive any day now.
any issues with cel?
Old 06-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,294 Likes on 653 Posts

I had a cel ..sport plus pull in -11c weather...."p420" (catalytic emissions efficiency) cleared with torque lite app. No issues under normal conditions.

They are sending another sensor when I get the exhaust.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:44 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 117 Posts
Default GMG Full Exhaust Being Installed this Week

Will report back over the weekend as to the sound / feel.

TumbleWeed is the first (I think) to do this. Look forward to confirming his solid initial reports and to being as happy as he clearly is with the GMG setup.

I think you cannot go too wrong with any of the vendors here unless you go crazy (full headers, full cat delete) and invite constant CEL's. That's not GMG's setup.

It really comes down to what sound do you like. I love my Soul Sport Cats on my 991.2 GTS Targa 4. Amazing. Perfect.

I loved my GMG center exhaust on my now departed 991.2 GT3 (more of a "mechanical" vs. "melodious" sound).

Will report back on the setup on the 992 TTS this weekend.

:-)
Tumbleweed (06-17-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 10:01 PM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Looking forward to the updates.

I had a KLINE inconel setup on my 991.2 TT. Wondering if it will sound similar? Although I loved it I would like a different experience this time around..
Old 06-19-2021, 10:04 PM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheSince2013
I think the thing to keep in mind is that the TTS is unlikely to sound similar to a NA engine, even with a new exhaust. New cats and exhaust will deepen and strengthen the overall sound, and highlight some of the pops/crackles, but you aren't going to get the same scream above 4000.

The valves are complex. and they open and close dynamically, I assume to optimize exhaust velocity. It may be the situation that greater flow may result in lower performance.

My new cats and exhaust definitely make the drive more involving. At times, you can feel the exhaust resonate through your feet. The spinning of the turbos is great. It is a different experience compared to a NA engine. I am still getting a feel for it.
Well stated but I'm not after a NA sound. I love the turbo whistle. I think most people that play around with the exhaust are after a more aggressive note with more of that sweet turbo whistle as the stock TTS even with sports exhaust is fairly sedate.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:50 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Exhausts are very subjective... And while i have zero firsthand experience with 992 Turbo exhausts, I can say i went through three permutations on my 996 Turbo and five permutations on my 991 Turbo S before getting the volume, tone, and overall sound I was looking for.

On the 991 Turbo S, which I suspect is closer to the 992, my personal winning combination was the Soul competition exhaust and separate cat bypasses. Definitely some exhaust volume (without being obnoxious) and that higher pitched 'wail' when full throttle above 4k RPM. Enhanced turbo whistle. Interior noise is still muted enough that I'll roll down the windows or open the sunroof when I really want to hear the car, more than pleasant at cruising speeds on the highway.

But again, YMMV! I've heard exhausts that others loved and I personally couldn't stand, and it's more than possible that others would dislike my current setup.

Also, zero CEL's on either car with simple 90 degree rear 02 sensor spacers.

Last edited by pfbz; 06-21-2021 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:46 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 117 Posts

Okay, gents. I picked up the 992 TTS with the full GMG exhaust installed by my dealer. I swapped my OEM SPORT Exhaust for the full GMG system. Comments here:

POSITIVES

1. Goes like a bat out of hell in Sport mode. There is no question to me that the car has picked up much earlier turbo spool (I think GMG dyno'ed it at 70 more Lbs of TQ?). Crazy / explosive speed when you hit it.
2. The sound in Sport is intoxicating and darn near the wail in my 991.2 GT3. Of course NA always > Turbo, but still damn impressive.
3. The rumble /sound is deeper at idle and in low power the "cruise to the restaurant" sound is deeper but still manageable. The Wife didn't notice that I had swapped the exhaust (I was nervous about this). If you putt around town at low speeds in normal, there is definitely more deep hum vs. the OEM Stock Sport Exhaust in Normal but it's still relatively manageable.
4. In short, I think it's a no-brainer for those of you that want better sound, more speed without messing with the ECU/intercoolers/turbo's/fuel type/whatever. If you mainly drive in aggressive mode or your wife is always in "don't care mode", then this is a No Brainer.
5. No real drone at highway speeds in Normal mode. You do pick up some drone in SPORT mode at highway speeds -- which I expected.

NEGATIVES

1. On startup (1.5k RPM) for one minute, it is definitely louder. Yes, it starts in normal mode. When it drops back to idle (750 RPM) after one minute, it goes much quieter.
2. Exhaust is deeper. Across all settings.
3. You lose the "full stealth" quiet of Normal mode.
4. You lose the "whistle" and "soft burbles" in Sport Mode (not all of it / but some of it).
5. Sport mode in Stock Sport Exhaust had a nice rumble to it -- plus lesser/deeper whistles / burbles -- some of that has been replaced with a deeper / angrier sound.

NET-NET -- a spectacular upgrade in terms of speed and sound. Like all other good things, there are "give ups". I think it's worth it. Go for it and when you nail it in SPORT mode, get ready for all BLEEP to break loose. It's crazy.

Last edited by SB27; 06-21-2021 at 09:57 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SB27:
Gjr Cars (07-28-2021), gmgracing (06-25-2021), Pad Bender (06-21-2021), TNturboS (06-22-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 02:21 AM
zmansbr
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 12 Posts

Trying to decide between Fabspeed Sport Cats and GMG Exhaust System for 992 TTS. Never done this before and am exited to do this mod.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with GMG's full exhaust, you lose the PSE button as there are no valves. They rig them up to stay open? I guess less parts or things to break but I like the ability to close the values.

Fabspeed claims 54.9HP peak HP gain on dyno with sport cats. Why is that about 2x any other cat system or full exhaust out there? Aren't they sourcing very similar 200 cell guts?
Doesn't seem Fabspeed has yet tested or posted gains with their cats and center exhaust combined. Anybody have this? CEL? Will there be challenges with emissions testing on that combo?

Super hard to pick based on sound on YouTube videos. Anybody heard them both? GMG sounds a bit more intense on YouTube listens.

gmgracing (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 07:06 AM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 162 Posts

Replacing cats alone is going to be rather subtle. A little louder, but you need the exhaust to change the tone.

Quick Reply: The 992 TTS Exhaust Thread