Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 11:26 AM
ScottTurbo
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Is there a service bulletin number we can reference to get this done?

Last edited by ScottTurbo; 12-04-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:13 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,292 Likes on 4,974 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
The new 8speed transmission is a turd in the turbo s ……. Really killed the whole experience… I was expecting really fast shifts like the gt cars .
Originally Posted by ScottTurbo
I agree my 2009 Nissan GT-R had faster shifts than my 2021 TTS. The second you pulled that paddle you were in the next gear, this one has a major delay before the change happens.
Your gearboxes sound they are broken.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (12-05-2021)
Old 01-28-2022, 11:31 AM
xxxandy911xxx
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've got exactly the same problem and can easily reproduce. I also drive about in manual and it's becoming a real pain!
I have the booked it in to get it checked out.
Has anyone got this fixed yet?

Old 01-28-2022, 12:04 PM
petermcm
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
i had my car in at the dealers and a number of communications with Porsche GB.
porsche aim you straight back at the dealer.
I was easily able to replicate my issue with one of the dealer technicians. I have to say that the dealership in question has been absolutely superb. As it happens the dealership had a used 911 turbo S 992 model, exactly the same as mine, up for sale secondhand and it did exactly the same as my car.
The message that came back from the dealership and indeed Porsche UK was that this was a designed in feature rather than a problem. They say that it is designed in as the point at which you are trying to make the gearshift and it fails, could cause a gearbox issue if the change was successful. That is bollocks in my opinion I have been lucky enough to own and drive many sports cars over the years and I have never ever come across this issue before. I think Porsche have got to be aware of this it but, for whatever reason, are choosing to give this, less than satisfactory answer as to the cause.
I did consider selling the car or even rejecting it. However rejecting it would have been pointless in that I could sell it for more than I paid for it. I have decided to live with the problem. I have learnt how to change gear 1st to 2nd in manual without causing this problem. I don’t think that is a acceptable solution but the other qualities of the car outweigh this issue, just.
I would like to bet that your dealership will not come up with any new answers as to the problem although may come up with a similar answer to my dealership.
I can’t believe that all of the road tests I have seen on YouTube, that the testers have not come across this problem. I get the feeling it’s being somehow suppressed.
I would of course be very interested to hear what your dealer does say.
I know that when it first happened on my car I went and drove it for hours on end trying to replicate the problem. I managed to get it on video and in the end I could replicate the problem every single time I drove the car. I would like to bet that other owners, possibly like yourself, have also spent many hours trying to replicate this problem. You’ve just spent a ****load of money on your pride and joy and you’ve identified what you think is a fault. I know in my case it drove me to distraction. I cannot count the hours I spent trying to convince the dealership and Porsche UK about the issue. I wonder how many hours of owners time has been taking up With this problem. An awful lot and I don’t think Porsche are taking it seriously. I don’t know how to make them take it more seriously.

let me know how you get on. Kind regards
Old 01-28-2022, 12:25 PM
arcamalpha
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by petermcm
I have learnt how to change gear 1st to 2nd in manual without causing this problem.
how?
Old 01-28-2022, 12:26 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,264 Likes on 590 Posts

I have doodled a bit with this issue on my car. My observations seem to indicate the PDK fails to execute on the commanded 1-2 upshift when I pull the paddle while the clutch has not fully engaged in first gear (still slipping). Anyone observe the same behaviour?
Old 01-28-2022, 12:28 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 202 Posts

i had a similar issue (1st to 2nd gear shifts), however for me it wasn't easily duplicated - i brought the car in for service and mentioned it - they didn't know much about it, however the car was plugged in and updated, which is evidently standard procedure - since then it has not reoccured (thankfully) but i do not know more than that, if the update addressed it or not - 15,000 miles and so far so good
Old 01-28-2022, 02:32 PM
xxxandy911xxx
AutoX

Hi
i had my car in at the dealers and a number of communications with Porsche GB.
porsche aim you straight back at the dealer.
I was easily able to replicate my issue with one of the dealer technicians. I have to say that the dealership in question has been absolutely superb. As it happens the dealership had a used 911 turbo S 992 model, exactly the same as mine, up for sale secondhand and it did exactly the same as my car.
The message that came back from the dealership and indeed Porsche UK was that this was a designed in feature rather than a problem. They say that it is designed in as the point at which you are trying to make the gearshift and it fails, could cause a gearbox issue if the change was successful. That is bollocks in my opinion I have been lucky enough to own and drive many sports cars over the years and I have never ever come across this issue before. I think Porsche have got to be aware of this it but, for whatever reason, are choosing to give this, less than satisfactory answer as to the cause.
I did consider selling the car or even rejecting it. However rejecting it would have been pointless in that I could sell it for more than I paid for it. I have decided to live with the problem. I have learnt how to change gear 1st to 2nd in manual without causing this problem. I don’t think that is a acceptable solution but the other qualities of the car outweigh this issue, just.
I would like to bet that your dealership will not come up with any new answers as to the problem although may come up with a similar answer to my dealership.
I can’t believe that all of the road tests I have seen on YouTube, that the testers have not come across this problem. I get the feeling it’s being somehow suppressed.
I would of course be very interested to hear what your dealer does say.
I know that when it first happened on my car I went and drove it for hours on end trying to replicate the problem. I managed to get it on video and in the end I could replicate the problem every single time I drove the car. I would like to bet that other owners, possibly like yourself, have also spent many hours trying to replicate this problem. You’ve just spent a ****load of money on your pride and joy and you’ve identified what you think is a fault. I know in my case it drove me to distraction. I cannot count the hours I spent trying to convince the dealership and Porsche UK about the issue. I wonder how many hours of owners time has been taking up With this problem. An awful lot and I don’t think Porsche are taking it seriously. I don’t know how to make them take it more seriously.

let me know how you get on. Kind regards
Thanks for all the info, I'll be better prepared for when I pick up the car (Approx 07/02/22)
Fingers crossed it can be fixed with a software patch.
Will update thread once I get the car back.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:42 PM
petermcm
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look forward to hearing back from you
are you in the uk?
Old 01-28-2022, 03:25 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 644 Posts

software update addressed this infrequent issue in my car.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:37 PM
xxxandy911xxx
AutoX

Look forward to hearing back from you
are you in the uk?
Yes
Old 01-31-2022, 10:52 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Never have had this problem.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:57 PM
ScottTurbo
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
Never have had this problem.
Are you regularly driving in manual and taking first gear to redline for your shifts?
Old 01-31-2022, 11:01 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottTurbo
Are you regularly driving in manual and taking first gear to redline for your shifts?
do I routinely take the car to the redline in 1st gear before shifting?
no.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:01 AM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had this problem as well but only when at low speeds and low revs. It bothers me but in all honesty 1st gear is so redundant i don't worry too much about it.

Quick Reply: 992 TTS 1st to 2nd manual upshift fail