Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Is there a cigarette lighter plug for my radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 10:36 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Is there a cigarette lighter plug for my radar detector?

Just finally had the car delivered to my home in Michigan. Didn’t have a chance to look real hard but is there a cigarette lighter plug in the car?
Old 03-09-2021, 10:44 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default + Battery Tender with Cigarette Plug

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Just finally had the car delivered to my home in Michigan. Didn’t have a chance to look real hard but is there a cigarette lighter plug in the car?
Adding on, I have a Porsche battery tender (Charge-O-Mat) with a cigarette lighter plug. Can I use it on a 911? Someone told me that there is a 12V outlet in the passenger compartment, but also said I might need a new trickle charger because of the new lightweight lithium battery.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:05 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Yes, it is on the right of the console in the passenger footwell.
The following users liked this post:
Domer911 (12-24-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 11:10 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
Adding on, I have a Porsche battery tender (Charge-O-Mat) with a cigarette lighter plug. Can I use it on a 911? Someone told me that there is a 12V outlet in the passenger compartment, but also said I might need a new trickle charger because of the new lightweight lithium battery.
The current Porsche battery tender is what the dealer gave me when I bought the car.
Suncoast has it (no affiliation).
  • Porsche Pro Battery MaintainerSKU: CHARGER2

★★★★★★★★★★ 5.00/5 STARS. (8 REVIEWS)
  • MSRP $217.11$189.00
Charger and trickle charger (5.0 A). The increased charging power reduces the battery's charging time. Select your region. An additional charge mode for Porsche lightweight batteries (lithium-ion) facilitates their use in motor sports, ideal for GT3, GT3 RS, GT2 RS, & other models with factory race batteries. This battery maintainer won't fix a defective battery. If you suspect that the battery is defective, or if a maintainer won't help, have your battery tested by a professional.
The following 2 users liked this post by redyps:
AtTheGlen (03-10-2021), Tumbleweed (03-13-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 11:16 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by redyps
Yes, it is on the right of the console in the passenger footwell.
Thanks!!
Old 03-10-2021, 01:53 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by redyps
The current Porsche battery tender is what the dealer gave me when I bought the car.
Suncoast has it (no affiliation).
  • Porsche Pro Battery MaintainerSKU: CHARGER2

★★★★★★★★★★ 5.00/5 STARS. (8 REVIEWS)
  • MSRP $217.11$189.00
Charger and trickle charger (5.0 A). The increased charging power reduces the battery's charging time. Select your region. An additional charge mode for Porsche lightweight batteries (lithium-ion) facilitates their use in motor sports, ideal for GT3, GT3 RS, GT2 RS, & other models with factory race batteries. This battery maintainer won't fix a defective battery. If you suspect that the battery is defective, or if a maintainer won't help, have your battery tested by a professional.
Thanks for the info on the lighter socket and charger.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:17 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 487 Posts

Porsche is having an issue that you can not use the lighter socket in the car, they know about the problem, you have to connect the charger to the battery directly, I saw a note when I was getting my car today
Old 03-10-2021, 09:14 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
Porsche is having an issue that you can not use the lighter socket in the car, they know about the problem, you have to connect the charger to the battery directly, I saw a note when I was getting my car today
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1182...e-charger.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1193...ell-992-a.html
boosted305 (12-25-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 09:32 AM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

for the 992 with LifePo4 (Lithium Iron) batteries the Deltran Battery Charger (aka Battery tender) works as well - it cost $80.00 direct form Deltran ($49 at Costco if you can find it)

​​​​​​https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...-12V-4A-Select
Old 03-11-2021, 10:26 PM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
Found this one on Amazon. Looks like the same one Porsche is selling. LiFePO4 compatible. CTEK-
Amazon Amazon

I also heard that you should not use the cigarette lighter socket. I heard you can work around it by turning the charger on in the socket then turn the ignition partly on then off then shut the door or it will time out after 30 minutes. But there is NOTHING in the manual that says it is ok. The manual for the 992 says to directly hook the positive to the battery and the neg to the ground bolt away from the battery.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:54 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 438 Likes on 197 Posts

Yah this is absolutely an issue. I have the brand new Li compatible Porsche charger in my new TTS. I’m told by my dealer The car electrics in the hope of maintaining the battery turns everything off including the port which is why it stops working. You have to hook the tender up directly for now. I’ve tried the “work around” described and it doesn’t work for me.

Oddly I took PEC delivery and I asked them and they knew nothing about the issue (as I assume people are only complaining to the dealers). The lead there said he would call Porsche engineering directly and get back to me since they were shown and been telling people to use the cigarette lighter all year.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:09 PM
Tumbleweed
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 119 Posts

If Porsche has designed the new TTS to have the electrics turn off or sleep is it necessary to use a charger if it doesn't sit for longer than 2 weeks at a time?
Old 03-14-2021, 03:26 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

Just to clarify the "workaround that seems to work for most of us:

Procedure to keep 12v internal socket active with trickle charger attached:
  1. Connect your charger to the 12v socket, with car ignition off and charger NOT plugged into the mains outlet;
  2. With charger connected to the car's 12v socket (and not connected to the mains), turn car ignition on and wait 60 seconds approximately;
  3. Plug in (turn on) charger to mains;
  4. Check lights on charger are moving through steps 1/2/3 etc and stabilize;
  5. Turn car ignition off; charger lights should still be lit;
  6. Lock car;
  7. You are good to go and the 12v socket should now stay live as long as the charger is connected.

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 03-14-2021 at 03:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joan Alcover:
heshalosny (03-27-2021), Tumbleweed (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 09:26 AM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
Just to clarify the "workaround that seems to work for most of us:

Procedure to keep 12v internal socket active with trickle charger attached:
  1. Connect your charger to the 12v socket, with car ignition off and charger NOT plugged into the mains outlet;
  2. With charger connected to the car's 12v socket (and not connected to the mains), turn car ignition on and wait 60 seconds approximately;
  3. Plug in (turn on) charger to mains;
  4. Check lights on charger are moving through steps 1/2/3 etc and stabilize;
  5. Turn car ignition off; charger lights should still be lit;
  6. Lock car;
  7. You are good to go and the 12v socket should now stay live as long as the charger is connected.
Thank you! The summary is very helpful. Does a 992 911 need to be locked, e.g., if being charged in the owner's garage? Or is locking the car required for the workaround to work? It's been convenient to charge with the windows down on my 991.2 GT3 for ease of running the wire but as I write this perhaps the car needs to be locked to power down all the electronics. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:27 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 438 Likes on 197 Posts

I can now confirm that the above workaround does work on the 2021 992 turbo S. It’s an odd to require this sequence and this was not the case in the 991.1 or 991.2 both of which Ive had. Regardless it does work. I will note that you actually have to start the car, not just turn on the ignition systems for it to work.

Thanks @ joanalcover
Tumbleweed (03-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Is there a cigarette lighter plug for my radar detector?