Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Is there a cigarette lighter plug for my radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 05:44 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Is Locking Necessary After Hooking Up The Charger?

Originally Posted by RCorsa
I can now confirm that the above workaround does work on the 2021 992 turbo S. It’s an odd to require this sequence and this was not the case in the 991.1 or 991.2 both of which Ive had. Regardless it does work. I will note that you actually have to start the car, not just turn on the ignition systems for it to work.

Thanks @ joanalcover
Ditto on thanks to Joan Alcover and to you for the info. When doing the process as you described, do you lock your car upon completion? If so, do you think that is necessary regarding the cars electronics and preventing battery drain?
Thanks!
Old 03-14-2021, 08:42 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 438 Likes on 197 Posts

Well I take it back. Lol. After confirming the battery was charging for about a hour I went back and checked again 2 hours later and the car had disconnected again from the trickle charger.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:05 PM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

I am trickling to positive terminal in frunk and grounded to frame. Even after doing so the low battery notification doesn't go away even after two nights of the charger saying fully charged.

Anyone know how to get rid of the annoying notification "Low Battery"????
Old 03-15-2021, 04:57 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
Thank you! The summary is very helpful. Does a 992 911 need to be locked, e.g., if being charged in the owner's garage? Or is locking the car required for the workaround to work? It's been convenient to charge with the windows down on my 991.2 GT3 for ease of running the wire but as I write this perhaps the car needs to be locked to power down all the electronics. Thanks in advance.
I typically lock the car and have the charging process go well.
There are reports that it works also if you do not lock the car.
My suggestion is to:
  1. Charge "locking the car".
  2. Once fully charged, redo the process without locking the car and see if it works, too
The following users liked this post:
AtTheGlen (03-16-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 04:58 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
Ditto on thanks to Joan Alcover and to you for the info. When doing the process as you described, do you lock your car upon completion? If so, do you think that is necessary regarding the cars electronics and preventing battery drain?
Thanks!
I typically lock the car and have the charging process go well.
There are reports that it works also if you do not lock the car.
My suggestion is to:
  1. Charge "locking the car".
  2. Once fully charged, redo the process without locking the car and see if it works, too
Old 03-15-2021, 05:01 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

I will note that you actually have to start the car, not just turn on the ignition systems for it to work.

Thanks @ joanalcover
Well I take it back. Lol. After confirming the battery was charging for about a hour I went back and checked again 2 hours later and the car had disconnected again from the trickle charger.

Have you had more success without actually starting the engine?
Have you waited 60 seconds between turning ignition on and connecting charger to mains?
What charger are you using (CTEK, Porsche, other brand)?

ELSE, does the following apply to you (was your battery significantly dischargeed and thus "disconnected" from the car electrical network)?

The CTEK Lithium XS charger has a function to obviate this situation; here is what the user manual says:

BATTERIES WITH "UNDER VOLTAGE PROTECTION" Some Lithium-ion batteries have an on-board UVP (under voltage protection) that disconnects the battery to avoid it becoming too deeply discharged. This prohibits the CTEK charger from detecting that there’s a battery connected. To bypass this, the battery charger needs to open the UVP. By pressing the RESET-button for 10 seconds, the charger opens the UVP. During this process, the charging STEP 7 is lit. Once the UVP has been opened and the battery is ready to be charged, the charger automatically starts the charging cycle.

Similarly, the Porsche Charge-O-Mat user manual says:

BATTERIES WITH "UNDER VOLTAGE PROTECTION"
Some Lithium-ion batteries have an on-board UVP (under voltage
protection) that disconnects a discharged battery. This prohibits the charger
from detecting the battery. To bypass this, the charger needs to deactivate
the UVP.
1. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery
2. Connect the red and black clamp in accordance with the picture below
3. Connect the charger to the wall socket
4. Select Li-Ion charging program and press the MODE-button for 10
seconds until one of the indication lamps is lit (procedure may be
repeated).

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 03-15-2021 at 05:08 AM.
AtTheGlen (03-16-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 05:26 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Quick question to owners of 992s with a problem linked to:
  • Fully discharged battery;
  • Trickle charger not remaining connected or not charging the battery
Is you car “North American specs”, “European specs”, “Other region specs”?
Old 03-15-2021, 09:19 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
Quick question to owners of 992s with a problem linked to:
  • Fully discharged battery;
  • Trickle charger not remaining connected or not charging the battery
Is you car “North American specs”, “European specs”, “Other region specs”?

My car is a 2021 USA car and I’m using the new Porsche branded charger. When I tried this “workaround” without starting the engine or leaving it on 60 seconds, the car would disconnect from the charger in about 10 min. Using this technique, it was working for well over an hour so I assumed it was all good. However when I went my the car 2 hours later it had disconnected again.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:38 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 498 Posts

My car is a 2021 USA car and I’m using the new Porsche branded charger. When I tried this “workaround” without starting the engine or leaving it on 60 seconds, the car would disconnect from the charger in about 10 min. Using this technique, it was working for well over an hour so I assumed it was all good. However when I went my the car 2 hours later it had disconnected again.
Same thing with my car
Old 03-20-2021, 08:12 PM
Formula1Fan
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried the same thing with car both leaving it connected for 60 seconds in accessory mode and then I tried it with the engine running for 60 seconds. In both instances it disconnected. This is ridiculous!
Old 03-20-2021, 10:24 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 169 Posts

As I said in the other thread, I was able to successfully use the accessory plug in the passenger footwell to charge/maintain the battery.
I am using the newest Charge-o-mat Pro.
1) Connected the tender to the wall outlet.
2) Plugged the tender into the accessory plug.
3) Turned the ignition key to on (without starting the car).
4) Pressed mode on the charger to lithium.
5) Turned off the ignition.
6) Locked the car. Charger showed power light, 1/2 battery, lithium.
6b) While detailing the car I did accidentally unlock and relock the car twice - eventually I took the key out of my pocket.
7) After 6-7 hrs only green power light lit. Instruction manual said mode was not selected.
8) Pressed mode on the charger to lithium. Charger showed power light, 3/4 battery, lithium.
9) Left overnight. Tender now in maintenance mode after battery fully charged. Shows power light, full battery in green and lithium.

MotoDC (03-28-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 10:47 PM
Formula1Fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redyps
As I said in the other thread, I was able to successfully use the accessory plug in the passenger footwell to charge/maintain the battery.
I am using the newest Charge-o-mat Pro.
1) Connected the tender to the wall outlet.
2) Plugged the tender into the accessory plug.
3) Turned the ignition key to on (without starting the car).
4) Pressed mode on the charger to lithium.
5) Turned off the ignition.
6) Locked the car. Charger showed power light, 1/2 battery, lithium.
6b) While detailing the car I did accidentally unlock and relock the car twice - eventually I took the key out of my pocket.
7) After 6-7 hrs only green power light lit. Instruction manual said mode was not selected.
8) Pressed mode on the charger to lithium. Charger showed power light, 3/4 battery, lithium.
9) Left overnight. Tender now in maintenance mode after battery fully charged. Shows power light, full battery in green and lithium.

Ok thank you so much I just followed the procedure you outlined. I will get back to you in an hour or so to let you know if it worked.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:19 AM
Formula1Fan
Intermediate

So far so good! It has been around 90 minutes and it is still connected to the battery. It shows 50% battery and hasn't moved since it's been plugged in but at list it's still connected!
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2021, 01:44 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula1Fan
So far so good! It has been around 90 minutes and it is still connected to the battery. It shows 50% battery and hasn't moved since it's been plugged in but at list it's still connected!
Thanks!
If it shuts off and only shows the green power light lit, just press mode to lithium. Then it should eventually go to battery full green light and enter maintenance mode.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:24 PM
RCorsa
Pro

@redyps No dice. Still my car and charger (newest Porsche branded one) shuts down every time. I cycle through the buttons as above and it starts charging (on the third battery icon) and then shuts off after 10 seconds.

It has to be a bug. No way would Porsche designed it this way and still sold owners this trickle charger. Plus its hit or miss that the work around actually works which means its a faulty system.

Quick Reply: Is there a cigarette lighter plug for my radar detector?