Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

First wash -- frunk pop and exhaust steam....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 05:36 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default First wash -- frunk pop and exhaust steam....

In prep for PPF next week, I decided to wash the car today. It still had international travel grime on it because I asked the dealer not to detail it (long story, bad experience in the past). Anywho...

On my old 991.2TTS, the frunk would pop open if you splashed water on it with the key in your pocket. It was a well known thing. I figured Porsche would fix that this time around since it is quite annoying. I mean they can make the windshield wipers go on at the slightest hint of rain, so differentiating between water and a hand can't be that hard....right? But no, same thing on the 992. So I'm back to putting the key far away when I wash the car. Nice. Once the PPF is on, I'll mostly just be wiping it down with Mothers waterless cleaner, so not a huge problem, just interesting Porsche didn't address it.

More curiously, I pulled the car out of the garage to wash the car, and it had a little time to warm up as I played with the PSE and got to know the dash controls. When I turned the hose on the car, I was surprised the water seemed to channel right down to the hot exhaust and start to steam. I stopped right away and won't do that again, but find that odd. What happens if you drive the car in heavy rain? Will the car sit and steam at stop lights? What about (heaven forbid) driving to a commercial car wash? Can that be good for the exhaust -- cold water on hot exhaust seems like a bad thing for the metal in the long run, no?
Old 02-22-2021, 01:59 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,978 Likes on 802 Posts

I wouldn't wash a car w/ the key fob in my pocket. Don't want to get the key fob wet accidentally.

As for the water on a hot exhaust, that is a complete non issue for any cars. Cars get all kinds of stuff splashed all over their exhaust systems. Furthermore, exhaust systems are mandated by the federal gov't to last longer than regular warranties - like something like 8 yrs/80K miles. Exhausts are basically made of steel, aluminum or titanium pipes. No biggie. Porsche is based in Germany where the weather sucks. I'm sure they considered the issue of impact of water and bad weather on exhaust components in their engineering and design. Porsche is one of the best, if not THE best German auto manufacturers around. I'm sure they know what they're doing... particularly with their flagship sports car.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:58 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 105 Posts

Just leave the key inside the car when you are washing it (the car, not the key, of course ).

Quick Reply: First wash -- frunk pop and exhaust steam....