Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 07:39 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Oh please deal lord, NO!!!

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Brakes update:

I talked to Mike Owen at Girodisc. They are ready to engage on a brake system for the 992 TTS with PCCB. They concluded that the 420mm front rotors and 10-piston calipers are essentially from the Cayenne. They have a few different thoughts in mind to try, but the large rotor will have challenges on weight and the lack of aftermarket pads. They have several avenues, but need a car in the shop to do measurements, and later for test fitment. Anybody with a 992 TTS willing to visit them in Bellingham, Washington?

Next up, I traded emails with Jeff at Essex, the distributor for AP racing and Ferrodo pads. They are in the same boat - ready to start designing rotor options, pad options, and caliper replacement options as soon as they can get a car in for measurements, and back for test fitment. Anybody near Charlotte, NC that can lend their car for the collective good?

Bottom line, we're probably 6-8 months away from having a replacement "track" solution for the 992 TTS, which is fine. The current PCCB rotors can easily do a season without wearing them out, but just be sure to replace those pads when they hit 6mm thickness...no need to take a chance on going thinner than that. I ruined two 991 TTS PCCB rotors a few years ago when they measured 4mm right before I went on track. Not worth it.
Man, I sure hope the PCCBs are not from the current Cayenne. Are you guys watching those threads over there? Massive PCCB brake squeal on damn near 90% of all cars within 3 months of ownership. I believe there are one or more lawsuits filed (and more planned to be filed) against Porsche for the crappy PCCBs on the Cayenne. And we are NOT talking about the new mirror faced rotors. These are the standard PCCB rotors/pads that are causing huge problems.

Surely, Porsche isn't dumb enough to add all new TTS owners to the group of unbelievably angry/pissed off Cayenne owners?

And my order for a 992 TTS goes in next week. Ugh. Hope I am wrong.

**** IMPORTANT POST EDIT *****

Indeed I was wrong. Cayenne problems largely with Porsche SURFACE coated brakes (PSCB) and NOT PCCB Brakes (which are standard on the 992 Turbo S). My apologies.

Last edited by SB27; 01-19-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:39 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 582 Posts

Regarding the battery - 992 Turbo S comes with lightweight lithium battery already, so there is probably no reason to get an aftermarket battery. Also, current Porsche lithium batteries should not be problematic. They have been standard on the new Cayenne, and besides the initial software glitch that led to battery lock-out (but not related to battery quality) they were rock solid. My Cayenne started fine after parked for days in the bitter cold at a ski resort (antigravity battery had issues with cold weather on my 991.2).
Old 01-18-2021, 08:00 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by SB27
Man, I sure hope the PCCBs are not from the current Cayenne. Are you guys watching those threads over there? Massive PCCB brake squeal on damn near 90% of all cars within 3 months of ownership. I believe there are one or more lawsuits filed (and more planned to be filed) against Porsche for the crappy PCCBs on the Cayenne. And we are NOT talking about the new mirror faced rotors. These are the standard PCCB rotors/pads that are causing huge problems.

Surely, Porsche isn't dumb enough to add all new TTS owners to the group of unbelievably angry/pissed off Cayenne owners?

And my order for a 992 TTS goes in next week. Ugh. Hope I am wrong.
The only link I could find on the Cayenne forum is a 19 page thread which points a finger at the new PSCB brakes as causing noise issues with some Cayenne owners.
Not PCCB owners as stated.

Am I missing the link where 90% of PCCB owners are experiencing noise issues?
Old 01-19-2021, 12:37 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Regarding the battery - 992 Turbo S comes with lightweight lithium battery already, so there is probably no reason to get an aftermarket battery. Also, current Porsche lithium batteries should not be problematic. They have been standard on the new Cayenne, and besides the initial software glitch that led to battery lock-out (but not related to battery quality) they were rock solid. My Cayenne started fine after parked for days in the bitter cold at a ski resort (antigravity battery had issues with cold weather on my 991.2).
I guess you've never left your AIM SmartyCam on accidently overnight and had to pull your GT2RS out of your enclosed trailer with an HD2500 hooked to tow straps and used soapy water under the tires because you stupidly engaged the electric parking brakes? (Yeah, I'm dumb enough to have done that) When I tried to jump it from the fuse panel, it blew another fuse I couldn't find. The dealer wouldn't touch it until I got it out of the trailer and have it towed in to them. Nightmare.

That said, if the standard battery is lithium, probably not a rush to replace it anytime soon unless you value the remote battery recovery feature of the AntiGravity.

Last edited by Randyc151; 01-19-2021 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:14 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
The only link I could find on the Cayenne forum is a 19 page thread which points a finger at the new PSCB brakes as causing noise issues with some Cayenne owners.
Not PCCB owners as stated.

Am I missing the link where 90% of PCCB owners are experiencing noise issues?
Yeah. I was wrong. The PSCBs are causing a world of hurt (not PCCBs). Arbitration claims being filed by 2019+ Cayenne owners and many are just selling their cars b/c they cannot take the noise any longer.

Sorry about that. Will drink 2nd cup of coffee before posting next time (oh, and go back and revisit threads).
Old 01-19-2021, 06:28 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,177 Likes on 582 Posts

I guess you've never left your AIM SmartyCam on accidently overnight and had to pull your GT2RS out of your enclosed trailer with an HD2500 hooked to tow straps and used soapy water under the tires because you stupidly engaged the electric parking brakes? (Yeah, I'm dumb enough to have done that) When I tried to jump it from the fuse panel, it blew another fuse I couldn't find. The dealer wouldn't touch it until I got it out of the trailer and have it towed in to them. Nightmare.

That said, if the standard battery is lithium, probably not a rush to replace it anytime soon unless you value the remote battery recovery feature of the AntiGravity.
Having cars in two different cities for the last 6 years I had my share of dead batteries (forgot to put a trickle charger), so I learned the process of jumpstarting by heart. My mechanic gave me a tiny booster that's good for one start and can provide power to open the car when the battery is dead. I had Antigravity in both cars but one was pre-remote. I had to go back to standard batteries due to Antigravity having issues in cold weather (it would shut off completely when the car pushed over 15V for cold-weather charging). I don't know if they solved that issue - they promised to send me a replacement battery but I never got it.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:08 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Has anybody had a chance to get a 992 TTS on track yet? Results or thoughts?

It crushed it at my home track, VIR, with the crappy Pzero street tires. This is going to be a monster track car on Cup2 or especially Cup2 R.

2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S at Lightning Lap 2021 (caranddriver.com)

Last edited by Randyc151; 02-09-2021 at 12:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Randyc151:
Apex Ace (02-10-2021), Tumbleweed (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 02:32 PM
turboBEVO
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 25 Posts

I was able to get my very new one (< 400 miles) out at Palm Beach Speedway this Sunday at a Hooked On Driving event. I'm pretty new to the track (8 days) and so not sure how much info I can provide this group, but DM me with any specific questions. I guess all I'd note is the extra power over my 992 C4S really allowed me to be much quicker outta the turns (duh). Difference in max speed was about 10 mph at the end of the long straight back stretch: 143 mph (C4S) vs 153 mph (TTS) but I'm sure that someone who knows what they're doing would have created a wider gap. To me it was a blast with nearly endless power for passing safely.

Otherwise, while my lap times were similar, this issue was confused with rain in the afternoon and me missing the very high tire pressure in the morning (on the TTS). I didn't notice the front/rear were at 44/50 psi on my GY F1s at the beginning of the session and I started loosing grip towards the middle part of the sessions. I dropped 'em down to 38/44 psi in the afternoon which seemed to help (on a wet track), but it seems the consensus is to go much lower: 34 psi for both the front and the rear? Feedback here, welcomed!

Also, is there any need to flush the break fluid and replace with a higher temp fluid? The instructors suggested it'd be a good idea (during the drivers meeting) and am unsure if I need to do so.

Next event at Homestead on Sat.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:16 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turboBEVO
Also, is there any need to flush the break fluid and replace with a higher temp fluid? The instructors suggested it'd be a good idea (during the drivers meeting) and am unsure if I need to do so.
As you build speed and drop lap times, you will 100% want to switch your brake fluid out to Castrol React SRF. Don't even give it a second thought, just do it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Randyc151:
Apex Ace (02-10-2021), CBS (03-05-2021), Pad Bender (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 08:52 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by turboBEVO
I was able to get my very new one (< 400 miles) out at Palm Beach Speedway this Sunday at a Hooked On Driving event. I'm pretty new to the track (8 days) and so not sure how much info I can provide this group, but DM me with any specific questions. I guess all I'd note is the extra power over my 992 C4S really allowed me to be much quicker outta the turns (duh). Difference in max speed was about 10 mph at the end of the long straight back stretch: 143 mph (C4S) vs 153 mph (TTS) but I'm sure that someone who knows what they're doing would have created a wider gap. To me it was a blast with nearly endless power for passing safely.

Otherwise, while my lap times were similar, this issue was confused with rain in the afternoon and me missing the very high tire pressure in the morning (on the TTS). I didn't notice the front/rear were at 44/50 psi on my GY F1s at the beginning of the session and I started loosing grip towards the middle part of the sessions. I dropped 'em down to 38/44 psi in the afternoon which seemed to help (on a wet track), but it seems the consensus is to go much lower: 34 psi for both the front and the rear? Feedback here, welcomed!

Next event at Homestead on Sat.
Turbo BEVO,
I will be at Chin in Homestead Saturday too. Find me , I will be in a White GT3RS.
Just ran my new 992 Turbo S at PCA 48 HR at Sebring last weekend.
The following users liked this post:
turboBEVO (02-11-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 09:10 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 181 Posts

Has anybody had a chance to get a 992 TTS on track yet? Results or thoughts?

It crushed it at my home track, VIR, with the crappy Pzero street tires. This is going to be a monster track car on Cup2 or especially Cup2 R.

2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S at Lightning Lap 2021 (caranddriver.com)

2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S at Lightning Lap 2021 - YouTube
Randy ,
Yes, I have been tracking my new 992 TTS . Also had it tuned, Soul cat by pass, and mounted 265/325 Dunlop Race Max 2.
was at 48 HR at Sebring last weekend. All I can tell you,the car was a handful, being that I have been tracking a GT3RS.
Stock chamber setting, lowering springs are being changed next week. Full throttle in GT3RS on Sweepers turned into lift off the throttle 992 TTS.
I am sure you had some those moment when you got your GT2RS. I ran into a guy tracking GT2RS (Non tuned), I know him,
‘We can around 17 side by side and I pulled away from him on the front straight. Needless to say I could not keep up with him being
he was on cup Pirelli slicks and lowered!
The following 3 users liked this post by Karl911:
Soul Performance (02-10-2021), Staff@WORLD (02-14-2021), Tumbleweed (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 10:25 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 641 Posts

As you build speed and drop lap times, you will 100% want to switch your brake fluid out to Castrol React SRF. Don't even give it a second thought, just do it.
This looks like an ideal product....messed around with Motul 600 on my last car as it was less likely to hydrolyze, but not as compatible with stock fluids.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:10 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karl911
Randy ,
Yes, I have been tracking my new 992 TTS . Also had it tuned, Soul cat by pass, and mounted 265/325 Dunlop Race Max 2.
was at 48 HR at Sebring last weekend. All I can tell you,the car was a handful, being that I have been tracking a GT3RS.
Stock chamber setting, lowering springs are being changed next week. Full throttle in GT3RS on Sweepers turned into lift off the throttle 992 TTS.
I am sure you had some those moment when you got your GT2RS. I ran into a guy tracking GT2RS (Non tuned), I know him,
‘We can around 17 side by side and I pulled away from him on the front straight. Needless to say I could not keep up with him being
he was on cup Pirelli slicks and lowered!
Get that camber and get back to us, Karl.

I'd love to find out what setup the GT2RS had for Pirelli slicks and his brake combo. If you have his contact info, maybe you could send it to me? I'm currently toying around with going to 19" Hankook Ventus slicks....pros and cons with that decision.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:34 PM
GTlife
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I would love to hear input from a GT owner who has tracked their 992 TT/S. I was deadset on a GT car but looking at my use, I went with an order on the 992. I know she's no featherweight or NA but I'm sure with the right tires it should be able to do much better than my 4S,
Old 02-11-2021, 03:40 PM
Joel Rose
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my 992 TTS looking forward to tacking. When you switched to the 265/325 did they fit ok with out any rubbing?

Quick Reply: Tracking the 992 Turbo