Notices
992 Turbo and Turbo S 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Turbo vs Turbo S....second thoughts. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 02:28 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,471 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
OP,
I’ll give you my two cents, in the most simplistic/rational way I can.

I actually grew up in Stuttgart Germany. Learned to drive in Germany with my father’s 76 Carrera RS, including the Autobahn. Didn’t come to America until I was 21 yrs old.
Dad drove Porsches until retirement from the U.S. Air Force. I’m half German. Native speaker & subscriber to various German rags & YouTube channels.

Now, to close the loop. In Germany, the difference in picking the TTS over the S is to enjoy the slightly higher top end performance on the autobahn; that’s it! Price be damned. Germans/ Europeans could care less about the TTS vs TT debate that continues to be beaten to death Ad nauseam here in America.

inasmuch that I reside in the U.S, with arcane/asinine speed limits, I opted to order a TT. Why, because I can’t take advantage of the negligible/minimal performance gains from the TTS over the TT, especially here in America. It’s that simple & reasonable!

I actually laugh at posters who always have to profess their need to buy/choose the TTS over the TT. It’s simple BS or the need to appease their ego of having a TTS over a TT.
I couldn’t, nor could most Europeans give two rats asses one way or the other. Get what you see fit.

I ordered a TT & frankly, it’s more than enough performance that I’ll ever need or want out of a car, here in America.
Moreover, my TT is my DD. It’s not a garage queen.
For me it was simple; I wanted the TT. Nothing more, nothing less. Can’t stand Center lock wheels for a DD & can’t stand yellow brake calipers. Can’t stand black muffler tips b/c I can’t polish them like I can chrome. I wanted the black “Fuchs” look 5 lug wheels, so that’s what I ordered. For me the TT was the clear choice.
Both the TTS & the TT FTW. YMMV.
cheers/B
Interesting point of view. I tend to agree that without an autobahn, it's hard to demonstrate the difference between these cars.

I don't really have much of an ego about this - frankly I would probably debadge the Turbo S. I really don't like people knowing my business and I'm counting on no one being able to tell the difference between the new car and my current black Carrera S.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:53 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by ER911S
i did and this were my quick results on an autotrader search:
2017 and 2018 search for a TT(S) coupe with less than 30K miles (there are many high mileage TTS and not that many TT out there so trying to compare apple to apples)
27 TT and lowest priced cars were in the high 120s
38 TTS and lowest priced cars were in the mid 140s
Delta of about $15K looking at the whole population.
2017 base price was $159K and $188K or 29K so difference is $14K.
I just rounded it down. So instead of $200, it's $300, If you can't afford another $300 a month to have the pride of owning the halo car, then may I suggest you should not buy either .
What am I missing?
What happens if you pay cash as many of us do vs think of it as $X per month? Its still $30K. I am personally not going to finance a toy. Some people (not me) would say if you have to finance the car - you can't afford it to begin with. For $230K - I could have a very nicely optioned TT for $200K and some other stuff for the price of a TTS and no other stuff. . Its not necessarily affordability in all cases - I sometimes struggle to think I will pay $230K for a Porsche DD - albeit the best one there is. Is my $170K TT with $40K in mods "good enough", is life too short, am I missing out etc.

Everyone is different - some people want Burmester, others couldn't care less. Some people think 580HP is insane. Others will start at 640HP and go to 1000HP. Some think leather everywhere is super important - others don't.

There is no right answer. Its up to the OP. If he has to wait for a year for a TT optioned to his spec - I'd pass and get a TTS sooner and lightly optioned. If he can get a TT and spec it to his liking and get it sooner and he's good with 580HP and 0.1 sec less 0-60, 0.2 less in the 1/4 etc., - then I'd do that. He asked for opinions and I'm giving one (before the opinion police shoot me down again )

Last edited by rodsky; 01-11-2021 at 02:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 03:02 PM
RD16RR
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 205 Posts

..life just isn't (shouldn't be) this complicated
Old 01-11-2021, 03:04 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,310 Likes on 613 Posts

i did and this were my quick results on an autotrader search:
2017 and 2018 search for a TT(S) coupe with less than 30K miles (there are many high mileage TTS and not that many TT out there so trying to compare apple to apples)
27 TT and lowest priced cars were in the high 120s
38 TTS and lowest priced cars were in the mid 140s
Delta of about $15K looking at the whole population.
2017 base price was $159K and $188K or 29K so difference is $14K.
I just rounded it down. So instead of $200, it's $300, If you can't afford another $300 a month to have the pride of owning the halo car, then may I suggest you should not buy either .
What am I missing?
Honestly, you are not making a very good case here...

Just using your numbers, the depreciation cost of the TT-S over the TT would be 46% more, which is very significant:
TTS: 188k base price - 144k resale value = 44k depreciation
TT: 159k base price - 129k resale value = 30k depreciation

I know, this analysis is way too oversimplified and incomplete, but I just wanted to use the same numbers you did to put it in perspective.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-11-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:05 PM
smiles11
Drifting

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Just get the TTS so you don’t have to spend countless hours justifying a TT purchase on RL. 🤪
The following 4 users liked this post by smiles11:
997usa (01-11-2021), itguy (01-11-2021), NVRANUF (01-12-2021), redyps (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 03:22 PM
GTS21
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts

Based on your response, seems like the TT would be the choice as you do not want to wait for the new toy.
If I were to give you my April allocation, would you take a TTS . Happy to do this as I can wait a few more months.
Wow, that's a very generous offer! 👍
Old 01-11-2021, 03:31 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smiles11
Just get the TTS so you don’t have to spend countless hours justifying a TT purchase on RL. 🤪

Haha...actually spent this past weekend dealing with some aches and pains from my 2nd COVID shot. So the thread was a good distraction.

I'm really not sweating it. I'm good either way, to be honest. You can play the world's smallest violin for my struggles if I end up having to "make do" with a Turbo because I'm not willing to wait a year on a Turbo S. I think I'll survive.

I'm actually pretty much decided on what I'm going to do. I've asked my dealer to find a TTS allocation. If a TTS allocation materializes, I'll take it. If, by the time the TT arrives, there is no allocation then I'll be driving the Turbo. If an allocation shows up that is for late fall/early winter I'll need to think about it, but I'm doubtful that I'd turn down a personally spec'ed Turbo that's right in front of me for an allocation several months down the road.

It's mostly mind games with this thing. The whole "halo" car thing. It's fun, but not really that big a deal. I'm 100% confident that I'd love the Turbo.

Short of another dealer coming through with the right deal, this is likely how this story plays out.
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 04:40 PM
ER911S
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Honestly, you are not making a very good case here...

Just using your numbers, the depreciation cost of the TT-S over the TT would be 46% more, which is very significant:

I know, this analysis is way too oversimplified and incomplete, but I just wanted to use the same numbers you did to put it in perspective.
Numbers are just numbers and as you did, you can use and twist them to get the answer you want . You are right that the TTS asking price are 77% of base and the TT is 81% of base so the TT holds its value a little better. My initial post before sharing the research was that it is insignificant in the whole scheme of things and the OP should get what he feels is better for him which he just indicated would be the TT. Nothing wrong with that thought process.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:14 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,214 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3

Loaded TT vs. stripped TTS is a much narrower gap because options seem to depreciate at twice the rate of the base. So if any of the expensive TTS options are appealing, TTS is starting to make sense.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:03 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Loaded TT vs. stripped TTS is a much narrower gap because options seem to depreciate at twice the rate of the base. So if any of the expensive TTS options are appealing, TTS is starting to make sense.
This makes sense. My understanding is outta the gate expensive options only net a 1/3 return.

10 years out the premium gap between TT and TTS becomes marginal. Short game...base TTS makes more sense than a loaded TT.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:11 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Agreed. And I have a hunch that the TTS will depreciate less % wise just due to the "top of the line desirability" effect when the times come to re-sell.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:22 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Numbers are just numbers and as you did, you can use and twist them to get the answer you want . You are right that the TTS asking price are 77% of base and the TT is 81% of base so the TT holds its value a little better. My initial post before sharing the research was that it is insignificant in the whole scheme of things and the OP should get what he feels is better for him which he just indicated would be the TT. Nothing wrong with that thought process.
Let me spell it out differently. According to your numbers, a TT would depreciate by 625$/month on average over 4 years compared to 917$/month for the TT-S. Yes, a ~300$ difference, but it is a rather significant one in relative terms.

Disclaimer: I do believe both will depreciate more than this though.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:27 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

For people keeping score at home, I decided to commit to getting a TTS.

I recently read a review and this paragraph really stuck with me...

"Unlike the majority of people in the industry, I drove the 2020 992 Porsche 911 Turbo S after the non-S model. The Turbo was utterly sublime and left me wondering why anyone would need or want a Turbo S as many of the differences such as carbon ceramic brakes and LED matrix headlights are available to be optioned on the lesser model. The only unspeccable differences are the 69bhp and 38lb ft drops and the hydraulically activated anti-roll stabilisation system in the S which is swapped for a passive system in the ‘base’ Turbo.Then I drove the 992 Turbo S and things were more different than I could have envisaged. The ferocity of the 642bhp is astonishing. Yes, the Turbo with its 572bhp pins you into the seat, but the Turbo S is a full on assault – launch control should come with a warning as it honestly left me wide eyed and startled."

Granted - it's one guys impression. But it pushed me over the hump. The other argument I made to myself was that I've already owned a Turbo and wanted to try something different. Also my Turbo build has $10,000 worth of options that come free on the TTS. So there it is.

The question now is when will I get my allocation. I'll get it eventually. Could take some time, but I can be patient.

Thanks all for your input - I know this thread might have been tortuous at times. It really did help me clear my thinking.

Hopefully I'll be a happy owner sooner rather than later.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
ER911S (01-13-2021), smiles11 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 10:37 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

glad you finally arrived at your decision. sounds well reasoned.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:39 AM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

Glad you have decided. Look at the wait in a positive way. The hunt in many cases is better than the kill.

While you are in this hunt you can do what I did and jump straight down a few rabbit holes in preparation for you baby. Let's start with the garage, then the car wash (interior and exterior) rabbit hole. Spend a week or two watching Obsessed Garage vids on YT. Then you can do the PPF research and the list goes on. Dash cams, covers, etc. Lot of things that can soak up your days. All fun.

Ohhh forgot. The configuration site could be fiddled with for 3 months. That is a dangerous and costly rabbit hole.

Last edited by motown; 01-13-2021 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo vs Turbo S....second thoughts. Need some advice.