Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Car on Ground Owner 992TTS/TT reviews

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 12:49 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts
Default Car on Ground Owner 992TTS/TT reviews

Figure this would be worth starting as we are finally getting to drive our newly landed 992 TT/S cars around a bit and was worth having a thread to outline your opinions and experiences with your 992TT/S and maybe some comparisons to other cars that people often ask about as this community has driven most , if not all Porsche has to offer. So here is my .02...

Just drove the car yesterday for the first time, so here are some quick and scattered comments. First thing off the bat, the sound...even at idle the 992tts sounds more serious (there's a different, more motorsports engine idle pulse that comes from the rear) than the c4s. It's almost a denser sound if that makes any sense. On the move, the exhaust is DEFINITELY different sounding than the c4s I had in cabin, somewhat oddly it sounds like a slightly higher pitched howl mixed into the slightly typical 992 sports exhaust soundtrack, like how you'd expect an inconel exhaust to sound for an application like this and how a 991.2 car with a full Kline system would sound in that regard). Theres def a bit more boom as well present, but nothing bad, tbh it just REALLY reminds me of a slightly more refined 991.2 GT2rs sound to be frank but without the excess level of low thrum. You can also hear the intake and turbo noises WAY more than I could in my c4s...which kind of adds to that GT2RS-light experience (my couple friends with these who also have gt2rs' also made the comparison pretty quickly on that note).

Handling wise is something of a harder comparo here as my previous c4s had sports PASM and this car, as was specced by Porsche Exclusive does not have it. However my 4s did also have RWS but no PDCC. So its a little apples to oranges to grapefruits here. The 992 TTS without the SPASM is actually a bit stiffer than I thought it would be...which is pretty great tbh. The car SEEMS to have more mechanical grip than my 4s did in the front and turn in with the 992tts is something almost legendary. The steering is also absolutely lighter than my c4s's was...both without the power steering assist option. The c4s was a little more mundane in its handling characteristics to me in its weight transfers vs the turbo S which you can actually feel the weight move around a bit (could just be the extra stiffening from the c4s' SPASM) but there is a LOT more theater present in the 992tts when you hurl it down backroads...and you end up treating it like a much lighter car than it's stats would suggest.

The brakes...well...tbh these are world beaters. Not sure it really gets better here in any regard, Porsche is pretty much the champ here.

And Power...quite simply, yeah, its got SERIOUS speed, and it happens SERIOUSLY quickly. This thing gets to holy sh*T speed and torque noticeably faster and lower in the rev range than the 992c4s which definitely took more winding out to get into its "whoa" zone and that plays a part pretty much everywhere in the Turbo S's driving experience. Tbh its probably going to land me in some trouble as even when you didn't think you put a lot of throttle into acceleration, you'll look down and gulp. I've got plenty of other 600 hp fast kit...this is the most shocking in difference btw speed you think you're going, and actual speed you're going. I have no doubt this thing would CRUSH my 600lt from low speeds, and tbh I think its faster from a roll. even a 720 wouldn't RUN away, spent plenty of time in those as well (though the 720s is def quicker up top by numbers, the feel isn't WILDLY different by any means). Transmission wise...this new turbo/s unit is absolutely improved from the c4s. The timing of paddle inputs and even its general shift time and smoothness is literally a dog's small whisker, or even smaller away from the 991.2 GT2 RS's gearbox...for a turbo car from Porsche not sure anything beats this, even an na gt3 pdk unit if you can take your mind off of the sound doesnt feel like it does anything that much sharper or quicker (even though Im positive data shows faster interactions there...its pretty much beyond feel).

At the end of the day, the 992tts actually feels like a whole level above the 911 in mechanicals...something my 991.1 or 991.2 tts did not (though admittedly my 997 TTS felt like this vs even a 997.2 Gts). Also, this car is f#ckn HUGE...it's really much more akin to a full fledged GT sized car (as in gran turismo, not Porsche GT) with the heart of a GT2 or maybe even more fun a 962 in it. I wouldn't be shocked if this was my last new 911 for the traditional purpose but I'd totally drive an electric 911 in the future vs competitors and a 992 safari car would be a BLAST...so we'll see what happens there. I just don't think at this point theres anything more that can be done than the 992 TTS for the road...it's just mega for everything short of wanting to hear a perfect f1 v-10 sound behind your ears, which there is a cure for as well 😂😉.

Oh, and this car is on Goodyears, my c4s was on pirellis. Im starting to think the Goodyears may actually have a little more grip at least up front than my pirellis did, or at the minimum have a little more feel in them, at least to my memory of my c4s which I spent a lot of hours in haha.

The following 18 users liked this post by sechsgang:
AlexCeres (01-01-2021), Apex Ace (12-31-2020), End Game (12-31-2020), findtom (01-05-2021), heshalosny (01-02-2021), Hothonda (12-31-2020), Johnny_C (01-02-2021), mig7410 (12-31-2020), NVRANUF (12-31-2020), Pad Bender (12-31-2020), redyps (01-09-2021), rk-d (12-31-2020), secondtimer (01-06-2021), Senna01 (12-31-2020), Simon H (01-09-2021), steve9 (01-01-2021), Super8 (01-01-2021), Tumbleweed (01-01-2021) and 13 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

01-01-2021, 09:43 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 91 Posts

To be honest, I must say that I came to this model after a lifelong passion for 911s (bought my first 911, a 2.2L 911 T, in 1973), and prior to this Turbo S, I had a 997 TT, and a 991 .1 TTS. But just the same, this is a whole new ball game. I was used to the new dashboard , having had a 992 Carrera S for a year, just before... but the TTS is totally different. Compared with the 992 Carrera, whose engine does deliver a valid acceleration, but sounds a little strange, strained... it is a joy to hear the much nicer, fuller sound of a 3.8L. The engine sound fills the car (discreetly but unequivocally) with the sweet flat-six melody... and I am only talking about tick-over.
I am not sure how to put this, but driving the Turbo S quietly is immediately satisfying, and after one year with the 450hp 3.0L, I realised how much I had missed the bigger engine.
And then, you hit the gas pedal, and the enormity of the task ahead becomes apparent... there is a HUGE amount of power on tap, and anybody buying this car as his first 911 Turbo is taking a big risk. When I started to tickle it a little, I realised that it was a whole new experience (even having had a 560hp TTS before). And the words ""widow-maker" came to me immediately. Widow maker is used for the GT2s, I know, but this car is not far from being as dangerous as a GT2, even with 4x4 drive... I shall take it to my favourite track, Le Castelet, the F1 track in southern France) in the spring. Only there will it give me a proper idea of its potential.
Otherwise, thumbs up for the PSE (Porsche finally understood that they had to offer it, and the sound is excellent -it will never be the sound of a GT3- ), the nose-lift seems to be a must with all 992 , as my Carrera S and the TTS seem to scrape the road more easily than the previous generation, directional rear-wheels are a first for me, and they do add to the agility of the car, Burmester still sounds like a concert hall (when you are in traffic)...etc, etc... I could go on for ever...

Frankly, I am smitten ! I have been a 911 owner for 48 years now, and every single one of my thirteen 911s in all that time has been better than the previous one. And 992 Turbo S reaches a whole new level of excellence. I am in love, guys !!!

Old 12-31-2020, 01:48 PM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 116 Posts

Outstanding write up!

Happy New Year and CHEERS!

Dave
The following users liked this post:
Tumbleweed (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:27 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Awesome review!

I am really excited to hear about the improvements in sound and handling. That's amazing, since the Carrera was already a step up in performance from the 991 Carrera. I was waffling on the PSE and this seals the deal for me on that one.

I have been a little disappointed in the performance of the Carrera PDK -- too sluggish and detached. Fantastic news that they improved this on the TTS.

The 991.2 TT/TTS was a great car, but there was definitely a gravity and inertia to that car - it wasn't super tossable and I always suspected Porsche neglected to really focus on optimizing that platform. Sounds like Porsche finally took care of business with this one.

Last edited by rk-d; 12-31-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:02 PM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Great review thanks.
‘I’m looking forward to the arrival of my TTS in March.
Although the state of play with COVID restrictions in London mean I won’t actually be going anywhere for a while 😔
Oh well, at least it will look nice on my drive 😂
Old 12-31-2020, 03:06 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

What a great write up seshsgang...inspiring for expecting owners no doubt.

Forest Green Metallic is the king of green IMHO!
Old 12-31-2020, 03:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Awesome build sir!!
....and your objective POV - VERY encouraging!
Old 12-31-2020, 03:23 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for the review makes me all the more excited to get mine! Now get some rolling down the road videos of that thing for us.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:30 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

The car looks great. I'm warming up to these wheels. What color is the exterior? Is it PTS?
Old 12-31-2020, 05:38 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Great review - best green I’ve seen !
Old 12-31-2020, 05:40 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
The car looks great. I'm warming up to these wheels. What color is the exterior? Is it PTS?
Check out his thread on this https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...s-is-here.html
Old 12-31-2020, 06:51 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

Yes, it's PTS Forest Green Metallic, and I have Porsche Marin and Brett Payne's post about it being available here a couple months ago to thank for it!
Old 12-31-2020, 06:53 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Awesome review!

I am really excited to hear about the improvements in sound and handling. That's amazing, since the Carrera was already a step up in performance from the 991 Carrera. I was waffling on the PSE and this seals the deal for me on that one.

I have been a little disappointed in the performance of the Carrera PDK -- too sluggish and detached. Fantastic news that they improved this on the TTS.

The 991.2 TT/TTS was a great car, but there was definitely a gravity and inertia to that car - it wasn't super tossable and I always suspected Porsche neglected to really focus on optimizing that platform. Sounds like Porsche finally took care of business with this one.

Yeah, this new unit is WAY sharper than the one that was in my 992 c4s...which was good but it almost seemed to have to breath at times and kind of wafted for a millisecond post normal shifts...this trans doesn't seem to do that at ALL.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:41 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Yeah, this new unit is WAY sharper than the one that was in my 992 c4s...which was good but it almost seemed to have to breath at times and kind of wafted for a millisecond post normal shifts...this trans doesn't seem to do that at ALL.
Yep - I have a C2S and I've noticed an aggravating delay with shifting. It's probably only a few milliseconds, but it's aggravating.

Lots of comments from reviews have pointed to the GT dept influence on this car's steering and I'll be interested to see how it stands up. My 993 has an RS suspension and the handling and steering make my 992 (as good as it is) feel synthetic like a video game. I'd love to get just a touch of that dynamic feel that old 911s can give you, but I know this car is way too big and way too powerful to be nuanced like that. If they've been able to move the needle even a little bit, then that's a big win.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:16 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Yep - I have a C2S and I've noticed an aggravating delay with shifting. It's probably only a few milliseconds, but it's aggravating.

Lots of comments from reviews have pointed to the GT dept influence on this car's steering and I'll be interested to see how it stands up. My 993 has an RS suspension and the handling and steering make my 992 (as good as it is) feel synthetic like a video game. I'd love to get just a touch of that dynamic feel that old 911s can give you, but I know this car is way too big and way too powerful to be nuanced like that. If they've been able to move the needle even a little bit, then that's a big win.
They definitely have...its pretty play with able...
Old 01-01-2021, 09:43 AM
JeanLouis33
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 91 Posts

To be honest, I must say that I came to this model after a lifelong passion for 911s (bought my first 911, a 2.2L 911 T, in 1973), and prior to this Turbo S, I had a 997 TT, and a 991 .1 TTS. But just the same, this is a whole new ball game. I was used to the new dashboard , having had a 992 Carrera S for a year, just before... but the TTS is totally different. Compared with the 992 Carrera, whose engine does deliver a valid acceleration, but sounds a little strange, strained... it is a joy to hear the much nicer, fuller sound of a 3.8L. The engine sound fills the car (discreetly but unequivocally) with the sweet flat-six melody... and I am only talking about tick-over.
I am not sure how to put this, but driving the Turbo S quietly is immediately satisfying, and after one year with the 450hp 3.0L, I realised how much I had missed the bigger engine.
And then, you hit the gas pedal, and the enormity of the task ahead becomes apparent... there is a HUGE amount of power on tap, and anybody buying this car as his first 911 Turbo is taking a big risk. When I started to tickle it a little, I realised that it was a whole new experience (even having had a 560hp TTS before). And the words ""widow-maker" came to me immediately. Widow maker is used for the GT2s, I know, but this car is not far from being as dangerous as a GT2, even with 4x4 drive... I shall take it to my favourite track, Le Castelet, the F1 track in southern France) in the spring. Only there will it give me a proper idea of its potential.
Otherwise, thumbs up for the PSE (Porsche finally understood that they had to offer it, and the sound is excellent -it will never be the sound of a GT3- ), the nose-lift seems to be a must with all 992 , as my Carrera S and the TTS seem to scrape the road more easily than the previous generation, directional rear-wheels are a first for me, and they do add to the agility of the car, Burmester still sounds like a concert hall (when you are in traffic)...etc, etc... I could go on for ever...

Frankly, I am smitten ! I have been a 911 owner for 48 years now, and every single one of my thirteen 911s in all that time has been better than the previous one. And 992 Turbo S reaches a whole new level of excellence. I am in love, guys !!!

The following 12 users liked this post by JeanLouis33:
End Game (01-01-2021), findtom (01-05-2021), heshalosny (01-02-2021), Mercuriell (01-01-2021), motown (01-01-2021), NVRANUF (01-01-2021), Pad Bender (01-01-2021), redyps (01-09-2021), sechsgang (01-01-2021), Simon H (01-09-2021), Steve 96C4S (01-01-2021), Tumbleweed (01-01-2021) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Car on Ground Owner 992TTS/TT reviews