Sponsored by: Porsche San Francisco

Car on Ground Owner 992TTS/TT reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 11:08 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by JeanLouis33
To be honest, I must say that I came to this model after a lifelong passion for 911s (bought my first 911, a 2.2L 911 T, in 1973), and prior to this Turbo S, I had a 997 TT, and a 991 .1 TTS. But just the same, this is a whole new ball game. I was used to the new dashboard , having had a 992 Carrera S for a year, just before... but the TTS is totally different. Compared with the 992 Carrera, whose engine does deliver a valid acceleration, but sounds a little strange, strained... it is a joy to hear the much nicer, fuller sound of a 3.8L. The engine sound fills the car (discreetly but unequivocally) with the sweet flat-six melody... and I am only talking about tick-over.
I am not sure how to put this, but driving the Turbo S quietly is immediately satisfying, and after one year with the 450hp 3.0L, I realised how much I had missed the bigger engine.
And then, you hit the gas pedal, and the enormity of the task ahead becomes apparent... there is a HUGE amount of power on tap, and anybody buying this car as his first 911 Turbo is taking a big risk. When I started to tickle it a little, I realised that it was a whole new experience (even having had a 560hp TTS before). And the words ""widow-maker" came to me immediately. Widow maker is used for the GT2s, I know, but this car is not far from being as dangerous as a GT2, even with 4x4 drive... I shall take it to my favourite track, Le Castelet, the F1 track in southern France) in the spring. Only there will it give me a proper idea of its potential.
Otherwise, thumbs up for the PSE (Porsche finally understood that they had to offer it, and the sound is excellent -it will never be the sound of a GT3- ), the nose-lift seems to be a must with all 992 , as my Carrera S and the TTS seem to scrape the road more easily than the previous generation, directional rear-wheels are a first for me, and they do add to the agility of the car, Burmester still sounds like a concert hall (when you are in traffic)...etc, etc... I could go on for ever...

Frankly, I am smitten ! I have been a 911 owner for 48 years now, and every single one of my thirteen 911s in all that time has been better than the previous one. And 992 Turbo S reaches a whole new level of excellence. I am in love, guys !!!

Congragts, thanks for the review! I like the 911 turbo S script on the side I ordered that as well.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 11:31 AM
motown
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 97 Posts

Thank you for the review. Drivers like yourself that have had 911's in the past, bring a different level of perspective that I appreciate. I love motorsports and all things cars but this is my first 911. I have owned (still have one) Audi R8's but never a 911. Currently drive a Panamera GTS and that turned me into a Porsche fanboy. Love the car in every way.

You have had 13 911's? With a TTS on order and reading your review that this 992 is better for all the reasons you said makes my wait even more exciting. Thanks again!
Old 01-01-2021, 12:09 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by motown
Thank you for the review. Drivers like yourself that have had 911's in the past, bring a different level of perspective that I appreciate. I love motorsports and all things cars but this is my first 911. I have owned (still have one) Audi R8's but never a 911. Currently drive a Panamera GTS and that turned me into a Porsche fanboy. Love the car in every way.

You have had 13 911's? With a TTS on order and reading your review that this 992 is better for all the reasons you said makes my wait even more exciting. Thanks again!

I don't even want to count the number of 911s across the various eras at this point...but this one is such a unique animal to say the least. IF there was a Superman (or woman!) Porsche 911, this would be it. The duality of character the 992tts has is otherworldly, and WOW is it fun. You'll love yours, and especially in comparison to the 991.2, even though the exclusive is pretty awesome.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:10 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Congragts, thanks for the review! I like the 911 turbo S script on the side I ordered that as well.

This is such a KILLER classy spec!
Old 01-01-2021, 03:27 PM
Tumbleweed
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 119 Posts

Danke sechsgang! I can't wait till mine comes in the next 3-4 weeks.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:37 PM
streetlegal
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JeanLouis33
... there is a HUGE amount of power on tap, and anybody buying this car as his first 911 Turbo is taking a big risk.
Hmmn, ok, well I definitely fall into that category. First Porsche of any type ever. Planning on attending the Barber school, hopefully before my TTS arrives on March 12, but with all the COVID stuff, who knows. Maybe this power risk you speak of can serve as more ammunition to sell the Barber trip to my wife?? ;-P

What else should newbies like me do to mitigate that risk? I was also looking at reaching out to Vollig Autowerks here in San Diego as well -- heard good things.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:13 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by streetlegal
Hmmn, ok, well I definitely fall into that category. First Porsche of any type ever. Planning on attending the Barber school, hopefully before my TTS arrives on March 12, but with all the COVID stuff, who knows. Maybe this power risk you speak of can serve as more ammunition to sell the Barber trip to my wife?? ;-P

What else should newbies like me do to mitigate that risk? I was also looking at reaching out to Vollig Autowerks here in San Diego as well -- heard good things.
I would not worry. That said, any time you can spend at a track learning basics and also some of the limits of your new car under proper coaching will be time VERY well spent. They will also be valuable skills to have should you need them on the street.

Last edited by NVRANUF; 01-01-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:09 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I don't even want to count the number of 911s across the various eras at this point...but this one is such a unique animal to say the least. IF there was a Superman (or woman!) Porsche 911, this would be it. The duality of character the 992tts has is otherworldly, and WOW is it fun. You'll love yours, and especially in comparison to the 991.2, even though the exclusive is pretty awesome.
I can relate...have owned many 911 and more than a few 911 turbos.

This 992TTS is nothing short of spectacular. My first hard canyon run was following a 991.2GT3 on sport cups and a very good driver at the wheel. The 992TTS held its own a very twisty 11 mile canyon run.

I smile just thinking I am lucky enough to own this wonderful machine. There isn't a better DD.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:27 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 648 Posts

I have about 300km in on the TT over 3 days and first impressions are EXCELLENT.

These are in no specific order:

Exterior - Just walking up to the car, the mirrors unfold and handles open to invite you in. I must say the folding mirrors have a very nice exterior light that makes the PORSCHE puddle light unnecessary. Any of my friends who have seen the car freak. It has a lot of presence in the flesh..BAD*SS. I did notice some small pebbles gather in the rear fender intake. I am glad that I doubled up on the PPF on the rear fender, which actually gives it an OEM look of the clear film from stock.
Build quality - Everything is bolted down properly. No deficiencies that I can see. Solid.
Interior - The black/bordeaux is really nice. Definitely not too much red, even for a guy that always had black interiors. There are no visible tonal differences between synthetic and leather red surfaces. I did PPF on the piano black surfaces to spare unnecessary wear. Porsche managed to keep everything clean and expect it will age quite nicely.
MMI - Integration just works and messing around with the spoiler is great fun. However, I may be forced to switch to Apple if they dont sort out Android Auto soon. I have set up Individual with spoiler up, normal engine/suspension, and PSE on - great for prancing around town. I am not really bothered by the obscured outer dials. All the information you need is accessible on the 2 dials flanking the tach.
Seats - 18 way are very comfortable and easy to dail in. For those with an average BMI you are good. I see no need for leather rear seatbacks if you are on the fence...out of sight out of mind.
Stereo - Bose is nicer than expected. Good bass and very good spatial dispersion. I was able to Rock out quite nicely...TOOL Pneuma really shines on that system.
Steering - As every review notes - beautiful weight, great feedback. The rear steer and tight turning circle is a real blessing around town.
Sports Exhaust - This was better than expected as well. As noted by others, lots of turbo sounds and I find the pops/burbles quite pleasing. Under bridges it rips pretty nicely and its definitely a distinctive and present note. Just missing that crescendo that Im used to from high-revving V8s. Ultimately, I anticipate being very happy with sport cats but for now I am quite satisfied.
Performance - 1st and 2nd gear are ridiculous. There is a very limited turbo lag if pulling in high gears, and pull it does. I still am trying to show restraint during "break-in" and learning how to keep boost. I have also been cautious on winter tires and some icy conditions here, but can tell you that this car has barely any body roll without PDCC. Its gonna be a track monster.
Ride - Even the SPASM, I have not found the ride harsh at all. Super dialed in but they seem to have nailed the damping. In normal, it soaks up city bumps and highway undulations in a very controlled fashion. Without FAL, ride height has not been an issue with my neighborhood speed pumps, gas station entrances, etc. Im feeling confident I will easily clear everything on my usual journeys.
PDK - Just sweet. Upshifts are lightening quick as expected and downshifts are eventful. Im running in M mode most of the time and everything feels crisp and responsive without delay.
Brakes - The stock steelies have a great linear feel and not are not grabby. There is not much travel and it stops on a dime without drama. My buddy commented "its like a go-kart".
Annoyances - yes that overhead Airbag light and central overhead light seem over powered. Again...no Android Auto.

General impressions are that this is a special car with tonnes of character. I cant believe how easily it fits into daily duties but cant wait to exploit it's full performance potential. Zero regrets.

Last edited by Pad Bender; 01-01-2021 at 08:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
lucycan (01-02-2021), Mercuriell (01-01-2021), motown (01-01-2021), redyps (01-09-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:39 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Glad you're loving it!

Originally Posted by Pad Bender
I have about 300km in on the TT over 3 days and first impressions are EXCELLENT.

These are in no specific order:

Exterior - Just walking up to the car, the mirrors unfold and handles open to invite you in. I must say the folding mirrors have a very nice exterior light that makes the PORSCHE puddle light unnecessary. Any of my friends who have seen the car freak. It has a lot of presence in the flesh..BAD*SS.
Build quality - Everything is bolted down properly. No deficiencies that I can see.
Interior - The black/bordeaux is really nice. Definitely not too much red, even for a guy that always had black interiors. There are no visible tonal differences between synthetic and leather red surfaces. I did PPF on the piano black surfaces to spare unnecessary wear. Porsche managed to keep everything clean and expect it will age quite nicely.
MMI - Integration just works and messing around with the spoiler is great fun. However, I may be forced to switch to Apple if they dont sort out Android Auto soon. I have set up Individual with spoiler up, normal engine/suspension, and PSE on - great for prancing around town. I am not really bothered by the obscured outer dials. All the information you need is accessible on the 2 dials flanking the tach.
Seats - 18 way are very comfortable and easy to dail in. For those with an average BMI you are good. I see no need for leather rear seatbacks if you are on the fence...out of sight out of mind.
Stereo - Bose is nicer than expected. Good bass and very good spatial dispersion. I was able to Rock out quite nicely...TOOL Pneuma really shines on that system.
Steering - As every review notes - beautiful weight, great feedback. The rear steer and tight turning circle is a real blessing around town.
Sports Exhaust - This was better than expected as well. As noted by others, lots of turbo sounds and I find the pops/burbles quite pleasing. Under bridges it rips pretty nicely and its definitely a distinctive and present note. Just missing that crescendo that Im used to from high-revving V8s. Ultimately, I anticipate being very happy with sport cats but for now I am quite satisfied.
Performance - 1st and 2nd gear are ridiculous. There is a very limited turbo lag if pulling in high gears, and pull it does. I still am trying to show restraint during "break-in" and learning how to keep boost. I have also been cautious on winter tires and some icy conditions here, but can tell you that this car has barely any body roll without PDCC. Its gonna be a track monster.
Ride - Even the SPASM, I have not found the ride harsh at all. Super dialed in but they seem to have nailed the damping. In normal, it soaks up city bumps and highway undulations in a very controlled fashion. Without FAL, ride height has not been an issue with my neighborhood speed pumps, gas station entrances, etc. Im feeling confident I will easily clear everything on my usual journeys.
PDK - Just sweet. Upshifts are lightening quick as expected and downshifts are eventful. Im running in M mode most of the time and everything feels crisp and responsive without delay.
Brakes - The stock steelies have a great linear feel and not are not grabby. There is not much travel and it stops on a dime without drama. My buddy commented "its like a go-kart".
Annoyances - yes that overhead Airbag light and central overhead light seem over powered. Again...no Android Auto.

General impressions are that this is a special car with tonnes of character. I cant believe how easily it fits into daily duties but cant wait to exploit it's full performance potential. Zero regrets.

The following users liked this post:
Pad Bender (01-03-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 09:45 PM
LSM111
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

Fantastic and very informative write up! Enjoy the beast!
Old 01-01-2021, 09:54 PM
n d
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

I actually have fallen in love with my turbo s..... sorry for the misleading comments in the beginning about the power... but it seems to be getting faster the more miles I put on it....
Old 01-01-2021, 11:07 PM
steve9
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

Great summary and photo. Do you have any more photos taken outside from the rear or rear quarter that you can share?
Old 01-02-2021, 12:12 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steve9
Great summary and photo. Do you have any more photos taken outside from the rear or rear quarter that you can share?
https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...s-is-here.html
Old 01-02-2021, 09:57 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for the write up so excited to get mine and so hard to wait!

Quick Reply: Car on Ground Owner 992TTS/TT reviews