The Additional Burble Sound On Startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 11:14 AM
oo7ml
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The Additional Burble Sound On Startup

Hi,

Can anyone explain how / why the GT3 sounds so different when you drive it for the first 30 seconds when you start the car, especially when just starting off in 1st gear. This is not just on a cold start.

There is a really nice burble with the flat 6, which is quite subtle but still there.

I know this is to do with the car ticking over on startup where the rev range is automatically set slightly higher at idle, like most cars.

On a side note, I used to let the car finish ticking over before driving off, but I’ve been told by a few Porsche engineers and mechanics that all 911’s are best driven as soon as they are started.

Back to my original point… is there any modification or exhaust that gives the car more of this sound. It sounds more ‘Porsche’ and raw.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 09-01-2024, 12:15 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 74 Posts

Exhaust valves open on start up, then close at lower RPMs until opening again after about 4K. The most cost effective method of defeating these electronically controlled valves is to install valve delete modules. I installed the Soul valve deletes on my ‘23 and was very pleased with the result as it keeps the valves open at all times. Alternatively you can also install a valve controller if you prefer to open and close the valves using a remote controller.

Quick Reply: The Additional Burble Sound On Startup