Motorsport oil for track modified cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 07:40 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Motorsport oil for track modified cars

Hello

Does anyone with track modified cars using aftermarket exhausts and out of warranty use some different oil than the officially recommended C40 ?

From what we can read the C40 is required because of the GPF / OPF on the newer cars but nothing indicates that the A40 or eventually some higher quality motorsport oil is not better for the engine itself so if the GPF / OPF were removed for a track only car

maybe the A40 would be a better choice ?

Old 08-27-2024, 07:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,160 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxi_z
Hello

Does anyone with track modified cars using aftermarket exhausts and out of warranty use some different oil than the officially recommended C40 ?

From what we can read the C40 is required because of the GPF / OPF on the newer cars but nothing indicates that the A40 or eventually some higher quality motorsport oil is not better for the engine itself so if the GPF / OPF were removed for a track only car

I have yet to own a Porsche GT car outside of the warranty period (so always have used factory recommended oil), however, this one seems to be highly regarded (if warranty is no longer a concern). This is the 0W40 version, but one may consider other weights as well:

https://shopmotul.com/product/300v-c...l0gJ41KBZYz_Sc

Last edited by GrantG; 08-27-2024 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:55 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,189 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxi_z
Hello

race oils have high zinc which reduces ware but kills cats.
years ago they had to cut zinc out in street oils because of emissions.
cutting it out made it really hard on flat tappet cam engines.
one other thing to remember is race oils dont have the detergent package of street oils so they need to be changed often 500-1000mi.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
one other thing to remember is race oils dont have the detergent package of street oils so they need to be changed often 500-1000mi.
Often true, but the 300V I linked above claims to have "premium detergency". Still probably smart to use short change intervals.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:20 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I know well the Motul 300V as I used it in many other brand older cars as well as some other high quality Motorsport oil

On the Motul website there is also an oil called 8100 Power that they describe as completely synthetic and Ester based
It seem to be the closest to the 300V of their road oils and I guess it could be a good choice but it seem that they do not make a lot of marketing about it as it s not officially approved by car brands and not a competition oil

As 4carl says the Motorsport oils do not have the detergent properties of normal oils and require changing often and the levels of high quality addittives found are good for the engine wear but not for the catalisers and particulate filters and because of modern emission rules the car brands have to recommend

lower viscosity oils with longer service intervals that are not necessarly the best for engine wear

If you have a car that is out of warranty or a track car you could use some high quality motorsport oil or a slightly different viscosity oil depending on the conditions but with recent cars there is also the fact that the engineers probably make the wole engine considering that a thinner oil will be used so it s not easy to know if because of that a thicker oil would not be the best for engine tolerances and lubrification circuits or if it would be just better

Of course it s well understandable and recommended that for cars like modern Porsches that are expensive and under warranty most users will in any case follow the official Porsche recommendations
We are talking only about out of warranty cars or track cars were users or tuners would experiment things at their own risk and I was wondering if anyone of those using their car a lot on track choosed to use another oil

Another subject is the actual oil change procedure that only let you drain about 4 liters of oil as if that was a normal thing
Imagine a few years back going to any Porsche dealer or tuner and asking if it was good enough to change only half of the oil what he would have replied

Last edited by Maxi_z; 08-27-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:40 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,189 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Often true, but the 300V I linked above claims to have "premium detergency". Still probably smart to use short change intervals.
it looked good ,didn't see the HTHS number like to see 4+ the GT oil is 3.8
Old 08-27-2024, 08:57 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

No first hand experience, but have heard Driven Racing Oils frequently recommended. Driven Oils - Born from Joe Gibbs Racing (lnengineering.com)

So far I'm still using the Mobil 1 oils for both street and race car as recommended by Porsche.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:24 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
No first hand experience, but have heard Driven Racing Oils frequently recommended. Driven Oils - Born from Joe Gibbs Racing (lnengineering.com)

So far I'm still using the Mobil 1 oils for both street and race car as recommended by Porsche.
Yes, I use Driven in my 73 911 hotrod (50 years out of warranty )

Quick Reply: Motorsport oil for track modified cars