Typical track wear and tear costs for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 12:55 AM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Typical track wear and tear costs for GT3

Hi All,

I'm curious if any of you track aficionados are keeping track of your track day costs on GT3's, mainly interested in the average cost of tire, brake and maintenance per day. I'm a fairly advanced driver.

I've got a couple hundred track days on my Lotus, which amortize out to about $800/day over the years (tires, brakes, engines, transmissions, etc). I almost bought a 600LT today, but balked at the approximate $4k-$5k/day cost if I switch it to iron brakes (more like $8k with CCB's). I've not been considering the GT3 since sellers don't give me the time of day and won't offer a test drive without a purchase commitment (hell, I'm even happy to pay to try one for 10 minutes). So, I was wondering if someone could help me out with a very rough ballpark. While I can find the prices of consumables myself, I don't know how many days can be expected from a set of rotors, pads, or tires. Based on some guesstimates (2 track days per set of pads, 2 sets of pads per rotor, 1 set of tires per 3 HPDE days), I'm ballparking like $2k for those consumables, but I could be way off

Could someone clue me in a bit better?
Old 08-27-2024, 04:47 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 144 Posts

I've mulled it over from time to time. You clearly have an idea of where it all adds up. I'd estimate I'm about 1.5-2k a day but I'm getting abot 4 days on tires, I change oil every 4-5k, and I buy my insurance on an annual policy. If we really want to get down to it I'm towing to he track with my built out van so lodging is covered but I'm nearly 200k into my van and trailer combo so there's that. It's crossed my mind that maybe i should just arrive and drive with various race teams.

I'm quick but no pro. Probably slower than most of the active guys here
Pads maybe 4 or 5 days
Tires for about the same
And insurance

One silly thing that I will say helps is being willing to throw a lap away. I'm there to have fun but I do run timing gear so I tend to try and push a little. If I hit traffic or my lap is toast I'll cut my pace back quite a bit in a safe manner. No need to waste rubber if I'm going to be 5 seconds off because of traffic. Over a 3 to 5 session day and a few days it might get you an extra half to full day on consumables.

And buy/build a simulator. The aliens will humble you and you can be as ridiculous as you want to be without big spend

Last edited by richardbf; 08-27-2024 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Taffy66 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 04:49 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Oh and another thing I didn't mention is having space, tools, and willingness to tackle a lot on your own. I have a lift, tools, YouTube, and a great rennlist community. It saves loads. We can all afford these things but not all of us are Anonymous918. I still care about the stuff adding up. If you have the means though ......just hire a shop lol
Q8yGT3 (08-31-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 10:02 AM
npalacio
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Do yourself a favor and do not add it all up.
The following 6 users liked this post by npalacio:
BridgetownGT3 (08-27-2024), IndyM (08-28-2024), Orca911 (08-27-2024), RossP (08-27-2024), Ukkid74 (08-27-2024), _bajk (08-28-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-27-2024, 10:22 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 668 Posts

@Tappet what about trying out a GT3 at a Porsche Experience Center? Or one of the various companies that brings exotics to tracks where you try it out for a few laps. Even if they are paced laps, usually you get to push the car a bit and it would give you a basic idea of how it handles. I believe there are also companies that offer these types of rides in a fixed location (Las Vegas?). It won’t be the same as taking someone’s GT3 on track and driving at your pace, but it may be better than nothing. Another thought is to go right seat with someone willing to take you along on track. PCA instructors are typically allowed to have a passenger, and some organizations may allow ride-alongs without an instructor involved (between a couple advanced drivers). Even getting in the right-seat at speed should give you a decent indication of the experience.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:33 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,229 Likes on 668 Posts

Need hubs replaced too as per Porsche guidelines.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:22 AM
apw
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Not a GT3, but i've run the math for my GTS4.0 (swapped down to 19's for wheels/tires) and mine run ~2.2-2.5k all inclusive of fees for a 2-day weekend, insurance, track inspection, brake wear, tire wear, gas, etc. I would think running expenses would be slightly higher for a GT3 on 20/21's.
Tappet (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 11:49 AM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

That's the ballpark I was expecting, thanks for the confirmation.

I loathe the idea of paying some flipper a huge markup for a GT3, but if I like the handling, it's a far better car to track than that McLaren and it'd be cheaper after a couple of years all-in, despite higher initial outlay.

I tried a GT4 and I found it very numb and insulated in terms of feel, so now I'm looking at the next step up.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:00 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
One silly thing that I will say helps is being willing to throw a lap away. I'm there to have fun but I do run timing gear so I tend to try and push a little. If I hit traffic's or my lap is toast I'll cut my pace back quite a bit in a safe manner. No need to waste rubber if I'm going to be 5 seconds off because of traffic. Over a 3 to 5 session day and a few days might get you an extra half to full day on consumables.
This is great advice. I roasted tires my first two seasons by running too hot deep into a session. I am getting way more life now by going 2 laps easy to get pressure/temp up, focusing on 2 to 3 clean laps when available, and then backing off or working a section when I feel them start to wash on me around lap 7 or 8. Even pitting in a lap early sometimes. For me it's just better bang for my buck and finding it less frustrating then banging around in traffic or with waning grip .
But i am lucky to have a local track and more days than I can actually use.

For OP I am getting 3 to 5 full days on tires and probably double that on pads....im not going to do the math :-)

Last edited by Orca911; 08-27-2024 at 12:03 PM.
Tappet (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 12:05 PM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Orca911
This is great advice. I roasted tires my first two seasons by running too hot deep into a session. I am getting way more life now by going 2 laps easy to get pressure/temp up, focusing on 2 to 3 clean laps when available, and then backing off or working a section when I feel them start to wash on me around lap 7 or 8. Even pitting in a lap early sometimes. For me it's just better bang for my buck and finding it less frustrating then banging around in traffic or with waning grip .
Same here. I've been doing this for a very long time, and I've learned how to treat the machine in a way that's a good tradeoff. There's no sense going "full send" in traffic, you just need to bide your time, enjoy what you're doing, since driving any car near the limit at the track is exhilarating, then when the opportunity presents itself, you go. For 10x the fun and 10x the money, you can go racing too.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:42 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Orca911

For OP I am getting 3 to 5 full days on tires and probably double that on pads....im not going to do the math :-)
Brake harder and deeper! If you're getting 10 days on pads I'm quite jealous
Orca911 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 12:49 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
Brake harder and deeper! If you're getting 10 days on pads I'm quite jealous
ha! I may be fooling myself on this one - I swapped pads before they were worn so the math gets a little fuzzy...

I honestly really don't like this thread....
Old 08-27-2024, 02:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,160 Likes on 2,908 Posts

delete

Last edited by GrantG; 08-27-2024 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
......... PCA instructors are typically allowed to have a passenger, .........
AFAIK those passengers have to be entered in the event.

From the Min Stds:
No more than two people may be in a car; one must be an approved event instructor and the other must be a registered Entrant in the event. There are no exceptions to this rule. Registering people for the sole purpose of “thrill” rides is not acceptable.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:45 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
AFAIK those passengers have to be entered in the event.

From the Min Stds:
No more than two people may be in a car; one must be an approved event instructor and the other must be a registered Entrant in the event. There are no exceptions to this rule. Registering people for the sole purpose of “thrill” rides is not acceptable.
I'm sure it's mostly based on the PCA region/hpde organizers comfort. I am not active in my local PCA but I have done passenger laps in my panamera (though i will say it was lunchtime and not at full pace) I'm also not an ***. I've seen guys who make all kinds of "noise/drama" in the pit and they have eyes on them like mad.

Quick Reply: Typical track wear and tear costs for GT3