Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[TheSmokingTire] The Porsche 992 GT3 RS is Quite the Handful (in a Freezing Rain)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 09:43 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,861 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
So what you're saying is the ST Definitely isnt a drivers car? I mean if the 3RS suspension is too stiff, then the ST Definitely will be too much for the average roads... being it's identically tuned when the 3rs is turned all the way down.
You completely made this up and just ran with it LOL
Old 06-23-2024, 10:19 AM
Justaroofer
Three Wheelin'

Received 538 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
Lol, it's the readers digest explanation of the tuning. Theres only so much tuning they can do being same shocks. They also played with the Toe and Camber alot to give the dive in feel they needed to reduce the risk of the *** kicking with lack of RWS. This also adds to the "smoothness" of the car. All of these things equate to as Mooty said a "Camry" effect. In essence the perfect JDM Porsche!
Old 06-23-2024, 02:42 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
didn’t you hear, everything Justagoofer has is the BEST EVER, everything he doesn’t have or can’t get is TRASH… and he has to spend his weekend mornings on RL constantly telling everyone these undisputed facts
Old 06-23-2024, 04:42 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
have gt4, gt4rs, Senna and rs in grade.
yes rs is oversprung on low frequency bump and compression. but high speed bump compress is fine on street or canyon. u can hammer it on canyon, it's a bit wide. but it flies.

That matches my impression too. At -4 bump and rebound, it's more comfortable than 991.2 RS on almost any surface, and gets close to 992 Turbo with sport suspension on higher-speed (40mph or higher) roads. On anything but city roads, bucket seats are a bigger difference with Turbo than suspension. But low-frequency bumps at slow speeds is where the suspension stops working. It gets very bouncy, and I suspect a big part of it is bouncing on tires with suspension not doing that much. It feels like there is not enough dampening because tire compression doesn't have dampening - tires are like 4 bouncing basketballs, except the car's weight prevents them from leaving the ground. I think it's tires "bouncing" because 1) it does not get better or even gets worse with lower tire pressures; 2) despite feeling like under-dampened suspension, it does get a little better with less dampening of suspension, likely because with less dampening suspension takes some movement out of the tire compression and thus reduced the bounciness. It feels similar to how less-sophisticated aero cars get near top speed when their suspension fully compresses from the downforce, and the only compliance comes from tires.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 05:02 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,120 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
have gt4, gt4rs, Senna and rs in grade.
yes rs is oversprung on low frequency bump and compression. but high speed bump compress is fine on street or canyon. u can hammer it on canyon, it's a bit wide. but it flies.

couple hundred miles on ST. it's hard to describe. its not soft but is' tuned differently and more relaxed.
the best way to describe it for me is that it's a Camry.
u just drive
no thinking
it works
it's a great DD

for me, on Weeknd carving, I woudl take RS or GT3 over ST any day.
for driving DD I take ST.
ST is wife
RS is bitch you slap
need both
but most of the time, I just do the wife. bc bitch takes too much work and I am getting old
we all have opinions, but disagree massively. Having put on quite a few track miles on 3RS it’s absolutely epic on track, but on street nothing special. S/T on other hand, after nearly 2000 miles in Alps over last 10 days is not a freaking Camry. It’s absolutely stunning. It’s softer than GT3 but gone is the awful front end wandering that killed the GT3 for me on anything but the track. S/T steering is vastly better, ride is improved so that pavement imperfections on the street don’t send the car off in various random direction like the GT3. These cars have their place. Track toy the 3RS is as good as it gets, set my best lap at local track which I have insane amount of laps in just 5 laps..it’s that good. But for the ultimate street experience the S/T delivers. It’s also that good. Each plays its role exceptionally well.
speed77 (06-24-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 05:15 PM
Justaroofer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by disden
we all have opinions, but disagree massively. Having put on quite a few track miles on 3RS it’s absolutely epic on track, but on street nothing special. S/T on other hand, after nearly 2000 miles in Alps over last 10 days is not a freaking Camry. It’s absolutely stunning. It’s softer than GT3 but gone is the awful front end wandering that killed the GT3 for me on anything but the track. S/T steering is vastly better, ride is improved so that pavement imperfections on the street don’t send the car off in various random direction like the GT3. These cars have their place. Track toy the 3RS is as good as it gets, set my best lap at local track which I have insane amount of laps in just 5 laps..it’s that good. But for the ultimate street experience the S/T delivers. It’s also that good. Each plays its role exceptionally well.
I think the beauty of these back and forths is it highlights how vastly we all daily drive our machines. All styles are different and preferences vary. The beautiful part is no matter what, there's always going to be a P car out there that serves our individual needs/ wants.

Last edited by Justaroofer; 06-23-2024 at 05:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Justaroofer:
Diablo Dude (06-23-2024), Nick (06-24-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 07:30 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Interesting review.
Very much appreciated!

I've never noticed my GT3 being sent off "in various random directions" unless the pavement was truly choppy.
Yes, the steering is quick but I've never felt the random darty movements that some people have posted about.
Maybe it's because I'm on Pirelli's set at the (lower) performance settings. Truly won't know until I drive an S/T.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:38 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,602 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
That matches my impression too. At -4 bump and rebound, it's more comfortable than 991.2 RS on almost any surface, and gets close to 992 Turbo with sport suspension on higher-speed (40mph or higher) roads. On anything but city roads, bucket seats are a bigger difference with Turbo than suspension. But low-frequency bumps at slow speeds is where the suspension stops working. It gets very bouncy, and I suspect a big part of it is bouncing on tires with suspension not doing that much. It feels like there is not enough dampening because tire compression doesn't have dampening - tires are like 4 bouncing basketballs, except the car's weight prevents them from leaving the ground. I think it's tires "bouncing" because 1) it does not get better or even gets worse with lower tire pressures; 2) despite feeling like under-dampened suspension, it does get a little better with less dampening of suspension, likely because with less dampening suspension takes some movement out of the tire compression and thus reduced the bounciness. It feels similar to how less-sophisticated aero cars get near top speed when their suspension fully compresses from the downforce, and the only compliance comes from tires.

The tire explanation is for real a thing. While I am not in a 911, you can apply this to any car with a stiff set-up, as you feel more of what the tire is doing because it is the softest piece in the equation.

Michelin's are known for soft sidewalls and I think Porsche asks others tire MFG. to use softer sidewall construction because that is how they tune their cars.

My GT4 on MCS dampers, you can really feel the tires even more. I moved to a stiff sidewall tire (Goodyear SC3 & Yoko AD09) and there is a big difference in the vertical damping component without any other changes being made. To a lesser extent, you can also feel a difference when adding more tire pressure (while still staying in the optimal range). I can notice subtle differences on the vertical plane with only a .2 lb change if you drive it back to back in A/B testing.

That is why I really hate Michelin tires and any other soft side wall tires. Not only does it make a car feel more sloppy laterally (especially in the rear), it also acts more like a uncontrolled spring vertically.

Last edited by TRZ06; 06-23-2024 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:56 PM
Justaroofer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRZ06
The tire explanation is for real a thing. While I am not in a 911, you can apply this to any car with a stiff set-up, as you feel more of what the tire is doing because it is the softest piece in the equation.

Michelin's are known for soft sidewalls and I think Porsche asks others tire MFG. to use softer sidewall construction because that is how they tune their cars.

My GT4 on MCS dampers, you can really feel the tires even more. I moved to a stiff sidewall tire (Goodyear SC3 & Yoko AD09) and there is a big difference in the vertical damping component without any other changes being made. To a lesser extent, you can also feel a difference when adding more tire pressure (while still staying in the optimal range). I can notice subtle differences on the vertical plane with only a .2 lb change if you drive it back to back in A/B testing.

That is why I really hate Michelin tires and any other soft side wall tires. Not only does it make a car feel more sloppy laterally (especially in the rear), it also acts more like a uncontrolled spring vertically.
When I swapped my OEM TTS Pirelli setup to HRE R101LW with Michelin PS4s it felt like I swapped over to tank tracks. While that would've been actually preferred and badass.... it wasn't ideal for cruising and aired them down to 30 all the way around and it was manageable.

Regardless, when I'm use to street driving drag radials and complain about a rough ride.... its a rough ride.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:00 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Interesting review.
Very much appreciated!

I've never noticed my GT3 being sent off "in various random directions" unless the pavement was truly choppy.
Yes, the steering is quick but I've never felt the random darty movements that some people have posted about.
Maybe it's because I'm on Pirelli's set at the (lower) performance settings. Truly won't know until I drive an S/T.
If you're out in Houston after November you're free to have a go in mine, Mike
Old 06-24-2024, 09:02 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I've been a long time Michelin fan and just recently switched to Goodyear Supersport R's on the GT3 and am blown away. They are better for daily driving and on track. I don't see myself buying Michelins for the GT cars for awhile. I'm a Goodyear guy for now
Old 06-24-2024, 11:44 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 952 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
I've been a long time Michelin fan and just recently switched to Goodyear Supersport R's on the GT3 and am blown away. They are better for daily driving and on track. I don't see myself buying Michelins for the GT cars for awhile. I'm a Goodyear guy for now
Thr Supersport R is a rebranded Dunlop tire (Sport Maxx Race 2) that was released in 2017, made in Germany. You are actually a Dunlop guy, but through Goodyear ownership in Europe. And I agree—I prefer them to the Cup 2s.

Not to be confused with Goodyear tires that are manufactured in the U.S., which have some excellent options as well (e.g., Supercar 3R).
PTS (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 12:59 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 913 Likes on 441 Posts

New pirellis for gt3

https://www.tirebusiness.com/manufac...-gt3-rs-models
Old 06-24-2024, 02:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,903 Likes on 2,780 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
Looks like new Trofeo RS tire only going to be made in GT3 RS sizes (GT3 gets lesser Trofeo R fitment)

https://www.tiretechnologyinternatio...nd-gt3-rs.html

Last edited by GrantG; 06-24-2024 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: [TheSmokingTire] The Porsche 992 GT3 RS is Quite the Handful (in a Freezing Rain)