Rennlist Member

Received 12,153 Likes on 5,284 Posts

The following users liked this post:
C.J. Ichiban (09-01-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 05:17 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 300 Posts

Thanks everyone for chiming in and giving opinions! Super helpful.

Just took delivery of my Sterrato at Lamborghini Charlotte. This thing is epic. It’s such an amazing road car. It’s so easy to drive and hoon around in. Was a bit iffy on the spec. I wasn’t sure I was into the satin paint, but I think it fits the character of the car really well. Love how the spec turned out. Still have my GT3 and this is way better of a road car with so much more drama while easier to drive. Haters going to hate, but this thing turns heads. Two of my biggest complaints so far although small are that the paddle shifters lack positive engagement and they feel kind of mushy especially compared to Porsche. And what was Lamborghini thinking not having a physical volume adjuster. It’s kind of maddening. The engine is and sound is epic. It’s more drama but in a less refined way compared the GT3 motor. The GT3 motor is more smoother, more precision feeling. More comparison as I have more time with the car.

Last edited by michaeldorian; 08-28-2024 at 05:21 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by michaeldorian:
718socal (08-29-2024), 911Vintage (08-29-2024), AlexCeres (08-29-2024), atlrvr (08-28-2024), C.J. Ichiban (09-01-2024), GT3 (08-29-2024), MaxLTV (08-28-2024), NRAzar (08-28-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-29-2024, 01:54 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,153 Likes on 5,284 Posts

Awesome spec.

Congrats and enjoy her in good health.
michaeldorian (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 03:10 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 329 Posts

@michaeldorian Congrats bro. Now drive it to LA and let me drive it 😄
Old 08-29-2024, 09:57 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The Sterrato is a better car to drive around town than the GT3. I have both the Sterrato and the Dakar, and the Sterrato has all the attitude and sounds of a GT3 but is much more exotic and rides much more compliantly than a GT3. I sold my Touring and don't miss it.

The Dakar is really the best 'if you only have one space' Porsche they've made in decades. The GT3 is great if you're a REALLY good driver and want a manual- but in PDK, unless you're a really frequent track driver, the ride quality and power delivery are substandard compared to the Turbo S or even a GTS powerplant.

IF you're a big track guy, and do 5+ track days a year, the GT3 is for sure the best 911 to have.
IF you're dying for a manual and don't have kids to haul around and like road trips and can regularly go 80-130MPH, the GT3 is for you.
IF you live somewhere with lots of dry weather and really aggressive twisty roads and you're really a great driver, the GT3 is for you.

IF you do track days less than 5 days a year, and don't like wings on the car, and have to drive in bad weather or terrible roads, and have limited spots in your garage and cannot drive a manual...a GTS or Dakar/Sterrato provide fantastic experiences every time you start them up and drive around.

FWIW, to frame my opinion a bit
my current garage: Sterrato, Dakar, Targa GTS Manual (fun with kids, wife loves it), i7 daily, X7 family hauler, 430 Scud, V4R, Z8, 91 NSX, and race cars for sanctioned racing/track stuff.
On Order: Spyder RS, M5 Touring, Escalade ESV (mom car [4 kids]), 3RS Track Day Car
Recently Sold: RS6, M4 CSL, M5 CS, GT3 Touring, 812 coupe,
A bit off topic but CJ, can you give your review / opinion between the Sterrato vs Dakar? Which one would you keep between the 2? You're one of the few that have extensively owned both.
Old 08-29-2024, 10:06 PM
speed77
Racer

Received 305 Likes on 150 Posts

@C.J. Ichiban Would be great to hear why you moved on from 812 as well.

the other comp we don’t hear that much comparison about is the sto. Feel like it’s the only “exotic” I would consider against gt3/rs. Yes, specs can get a bit wild but in the little seat time I’ve had it’s a great car, steering, sound, and engine fantastic. Suspension probably on par with gt3. Would love to hear more thoughts.
Old 09-01-2024, 07:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,395 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by speed77

the other comp we don’t hear that much comparison about is the sto. Feel like it’s the only “exotic” I would consider against gt3/rs. Yes, specs can get a bit wild but in the little seat time I’ve had it’s a great car, steering, sound, and engine fantastic. Suspension probably on par with gt3. Would love to hear more thoughts.
Lambo Rant:

I got a chance to drive my client's STO right when he first got it on our local test drive loop. FWIW I feel like the STO is the closest thing to the new FGT, the gearbox noises and interior and the lack of visibility etc...sadly most STO specs are trash. They have about the same HP, they weigh about the same...but I have not driven the STO on the track yet. I'd love to. I really really loved the Ford GT on the track and the road. It was more fun to drive at COTA than the Senna- mostly because of the suspension and tire setup giving a lot more grip where it counted- on the brakes and through long corners. The Senna just has tiny tires vs the directive of 'putting a lot of downforce' on the car- it legit needs hoosiers or something similar to make use of it. you get understeer in the Senna on most 3rd/4th gear corners (like Turn 4 @ Laguna, or T19 at Cota). Ford GT was a beast. IMO it could have been 200lbs lighter and with a little more HP (700-720 vs 650hp stock) and it would have been perfect on track. The STO feels like it has small tires but moves underneath you more like the FGT than a 911. Really flat, cool noises, quick steering...I really think Lambo guys just don't fall down the Tire/Tune/Setup rabbit hole like Porsche guys do...when you see a GT3 at the track...likely he has it set for -3* Camber, some toe out, stiffer rear sway bar, wing adjusted etc...The STO is really a more street crowd vs a GT3 or GT3RS guy.

I think in a few years we will look back longingly at how far Lambo pushed the STO concept- weird clamshell body, crazy aero stuff...it's really a unique car. The key issue on the car is that it's got tires too narrow for great lap times on track, and it needs to have a much more radical alignment/ setup vs the stock. It's really a great platform if you want to have the wildest street car that you take on the track- and now that they're effectively 50K+ off MSRP- in the 330-380k range on the market...it's something that could be appealing to a lot of people who are not able to get the satisfaction of GT3RS ownership due to market forces. If the STO came with the same type of Cup2R tires and fitments that you can get on a GT3RS, it would be formidable. It needs a little more aggressive camber on the front end, and the 265/325 type tyre setup instead of the GT4 sized 245/305's from factory.

Ultimately- lambo suffers a bit from the small dealer network- This has the effect of making cars seem more available because they are not stretched as far across as many showrooms. In contrast with Porsche (200 dealers), Lambo is closer to 60-70 stores nationwide (might even be less) so each of them has 3-4 Sterratos and 3-4 STO's. I think the Lamborghini products are incredibly durable and visceral, and in many cases their niche product is about maximum engagement...something GT3 guys harp on about but don't really push to the limit. The issue here is that a lot of lambo guys are social liabilities. So your wife is not excited for you to go 'do some lambo stuff with your lambo buddies' like she would with your 'Dakar Buddies' or even your 'V12 Ferrari friends'

Also- because of the SVJ and now Revuelto, the STO suffers from 'GT4-itis' which really showed at McLaren as well when the 600LT was on sale against the 720s...most people just want the 'biggest and highest HP'. Most people would be better off tracking a GT4 or a GT4RS than a GT3, just like they'd be better off tracking a 600LT vs a 720 from a communication and translation standpoint. The 720 is really numb and guys crash them because the car is really doing all the work until the physics model breaks. Cars like a GT4 or a 600LT have lower limits, skinnier tires and move a bit more- they're better training vehicles for track use than a GT3 or a 720...but imagine telling someone buying a 350-400k car they have the 'starter engine lambo' and 'not the real one'.

The Lambo Super Trofeo race cars are really really fast out of the box and in some cases faster than BOP GTD cars, as are the 296 Challenge cars.

STERRATO RANT
The V10 in the Sterrato absolutely in every way is a better engine to drive around town or on fun twisties on tarmac vs the Dakar. Louder, angrier, revvier, etc. I love it. Yesterday I went with a few friends up to the mountains- we took a 992 GTS, a GT4RS, a 991.2 Turbo S, an M5 and my Sterrato.

Everyone remarked about how weird and aggressive the Lambo looks on the road. Mine is Viola Pasifae, with bronze wheels. Pretty Flagrant. I put an xpel wrap on it, so I just leave it dirty and park it outside. I drive it to work and park it on the grass. The cool thing about the R8 and the Lambo- they have hooks for the child seats- which is nice, I can take Max (my 3.5 year old) on drives like the one we did up to the mountains. I put it in 'quiet' mode and he fell asleep on the way home. The ride quality is SUBLIME. Really really impressive- and did I mentioned I loved the way it sounds???

I do wish it had more ground clearance. The Dakar definitely can hit the dirt much harder, with more travel on the suspension and ground clearance. The other thing is that the italian 'column mounted' paddles suck a bit when you are drifting or WRC'ing around in the dirt. The Dakar paddles are more practical. I think for people who do not intend to potentially harm the car with real off-roading but are looking for some sand fun and winter fun, the Sterrato is a totally exotic form and nobody will hate it. I think the Dakar is more of an epic road trip type car because of the luggage space. It could be your 'only' car and you'd have fun. The sterrato is more of a 3rd/ 4th car, or something for when you really want to risk arrest in bad weather/ bad roads. It handles the bad roads and fire roads really well. Have yet to take it 'muddin' like I have done multiple times on the Dakar. Lets see what some bad weather brings this fall/ winter.

My whole family loves both cars, and I take the kids around the neighborhood driving on my lap in both. The Sterrato is more psycho supermodel, the Dakar is more of a hot crossfit girl next door.

The following 7 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
911Vintage (09-02-2024), AlexCeres (09-01-2024), Butzi (09-01-2024), michaeldorian (09-02-2024), NRAzar (09-01-2024), speed77 (09-01-2024), Tennyson (09-01-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-01-2024, 07:22 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think I'll end up with an 812 GTS if I can. I think the 812 is the best overall GT car, and could not imagine buying something from a competitor brand for anywhere near the same money. I think with all of my past car experience I get the most out of the Porsche and Ferrari ownership cycles. I have been doing more racing activities this summer and participating on the challenge weekends has been a lot of fun. I don't see the same level of family friendly and 'wow' from other brands like I do from Ferrari. I'm not really attracted to the V12 Lambos at all by contrast, and have no affinity for any of the astons outside of the Valkyrie. So, for a big GT car it's just the Continental GT or the 812. In that case- the 812 is an easy pick due to the styling, noise and NA responsiveness. The Bentley is probably a more 'solid/Teutonic' car, but that's why I have a 911. I tell people all the time that if they want an exotic that is not going to visit the track (other than to cheer from VIP section)- the 812 is far and away the top dog.
The following 2 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
AlexCeres (09-01-2024), speed77 (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 07:45 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 120 Posts

The Sterrato is more psycho supermodel, the Dakar is more of a hot crossfit girl next door.
😂
That Sterrato is not for me but looks absolutely badass!
I'd still take the Dakar for the slightly more long term relationship & stealthy look.
Old 09-01-2024, 08:11 PM
speed77
Racer

I think I'll end up with an 812 GTS if I can. I think the 812 is the best overall GT car, and could not imagine buying something from a competitor brand for anywhere near the same money. I think with all of my past car experience I get the most out of the Porsche and Ferrari ownership cycles. I have been doing more racing activities this summer and participating on the challenge weekends has been a lot of fun. I don't see the same level of family friendly and 'wow' from other brands like I do from Ferrari. I'm not really attracted to the V12 Lambos at all by contrast, and have no affinity for any of the astons outside of the Valkyrie. So, for a big GT car it's just the Continental GT or the 812. In that case- the 812 is an easy pick due to the styling, noise and NA responsiveness. The Bentley is probably a more 'solid/Teutonic' car, but that's why I have a 911. I tell people all the time that if they want an exotic that is not going to visit the track (other than to cheer from VIP section)- the 812 is far and away the top dog.
CJ coming through and dropping knowledge once again. Thanks for the write up and time. Appreciate it. Helps me think through both cars differently. I think Dakar market will soften and it will be the one for me. I’ll get an 812 back in the stable soon as well. Thanks, CJ.
The following 2 users liked this post by speed77:
AlexCeres (09-01-2024), NRAzar (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 09:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

CJ coming through and dropping knowledge once again. Thanks for the write up and time. Appreciate it. Helps me think through both cars differently. I think Dakar market will soften and it will be the one for me. I’ll get an 812 back in the stable soon as well. Thanks, CJ.
Ultimate garage would have an v12 of some sort and an offroad super sports car for sure. I think the dream team needs a race car, a vintage car, and a drop top also.

So, you could 2 for 1 the V12 droptop in an 812 GTS. I think it looks better than the 12 cilindri.
speed77 (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 09:53 PM
speed77
Racer

Ultimate garage would have an v12 of some sort and an offroad super sports car for sure. I think the dream team needs a race car, a vintage car, and a drop top also.

So, you could 2 for 1 the V12 droptop in an 812 GTS. I think it looks better than the 12 cilindri.
Dodici cilindri is the worst design thats come out of Maranello in a long time.
Old 09-01-2024, 10:58 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,513 Likes on 816 Posts

These things make no sense to me. It's like the transgender of the car world. Please please take it off road and post pics
Alan Smithee (09-03-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 11:04 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 587 Likes on 260 Posts

From today...not going to crawl rocks but it's a lot of fun sliding around in sand and gravel.

Last edited by atlrvr; 09-01-2024 at 11:09 PM.
ParadiseGT3 (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 07:55 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,513 Likes on 816 Posts

That's cool. Did you put ppf on the bottom/sides? They should sell a winch for it lol

Quick Reply: GT3 to Lambo Sterrato