Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 to Lambo Sterrato

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 12:49 AM
rezin23
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't care for the Dakar or Sterrato, the F150 Raptor R is more fun, and a third of the price. You can fly over speed bumps and road rain gutters at full speed. It's a blast.
The following 3 users liked this post by rezin23:
Booth9999 (05-13-2024), MaxLTV (08-27-2024), Q8yGT3 (08-27-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 09:00 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,907 Likes on 982 Posts

@C.J. Ichiban V4R as in Ducati?
Old 05-08-2024, 11:36 AM
speed77
Racer

Received 305 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The Sterrato is a better car to drive around town than the GT3. I have both the Sterrato and the Dakar, and the Sterrato has all the attitude and sounds of a GT3 but is much more exotic and rides much more compliantly than a GT3. I sold my Touring and don't miss it.

The Dakar is really the best 'if you only have one space' Porsche they've made in decades. The GT3 is great if you're a REALLY good driver and want a manual- but in PDK, unless you're a really frequent track driver, the ride quality and power delivery are substandard compared to the Turbo S or even a GTS powerplant.

IF you're a big track guy, and do 5+ track days a year, the GT3 is for sure the best 911 to have.
IF you're dying for a manual and don't have kids to haul around and like road trips and can regularly go 80-130MPH, the GT3 is for you.
IF you live somewhere with lots of dry weather and really aggressive twisty roads and you're really a great driver, the GT3 is for you.

IF you do track days less than 5 days a year, and don't like wings on the car, and have to drive in bad weather or terrible roads, and have limited spots in your garage and cannot drive a manual...a GTS or Dakar/Sterrato provide fantastic experiences every time you start them up and drive around.

FWIW, to frame my opinion a bit
my current garage: Sterrato, Dakar, Targa GTS Manual (fun with kids, wife loves it), i7 daily, X7 family hauler, 430 Scud, V4R, Z8, 91 NSX, and race cars for sanctioned racing/track stuff.
On Order: Spyder RS, M5 Touring, Escalade ESV (mom car [4 kids]), 3RS Track Day Car
Recently Sold: RS6, M4 CSL, M5 CS, GT3 Touring, 812 coupe,
Sold the 812? What was the reasoning there? Very curious. Thinking about getting back in to one. Not a fan of the dodici
Old 05-08-2024, 01:47 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 736 Likes on 401 Posts

Man, I keep hearing from people they really really like the Dakar. Almost to an irrational degree haha If it was manual I’d consider, I just also irrationally like my 718 gt4 manual at this point. Every time I go bring it to the track I get more obsessed with it and I daily drive it as well and I like it more each day. I got 8k miles now in 18 months and I like it 10x more than my old MB 991.2 gt3rs which is crazy I know, it’s the poor man’s Porsche and I can’t explain it. The small size and pivotty-ness of the mid engine, over-driving it on track, is just addicting to another degree for me.

I also have a scud (7 years now) and love that thing so much , only downside is I got one instead of a 997.2 3rs and that ship has probably sailed as I loved the 997 GT’s

I’d say swap to the sterrato fuggit life’s short.
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (08-28-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 03:01 PM
Breen
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 91 Posts

Lambo does not have a good track record with maintaining value. If you’re a get a new car every 2 years guy (like me) the lambo experiment will be expensive.
michaeldorian (05-08-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 10:18 AM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 587 Likes on 260 Posts

I've only owned my Sterrato for 4 days at this point, so still in break-in period and doesn't get full ppf until next week, so usage pretty tame compared to the life it's about to live, but I aside from @C.J. Ichiban , I think I'm the only Sterrato owner to comment, so will add additional perspective.

A lot of responses here assume the O.P daily drives his GT3 and would therefore be daily driving the Sterrato. He said, mainly used as a street car, which I assume means weekend/date-night/road-trip fun car, as opposed to a track car, but not that he would be daily-ing it.

My daily for the last 4+ years has been a 991.2 GT3 Touring.....I'm fortunate that I do not have to chose one or the other, and they are indeed complimentary, but if I had to chose, it would keep the GT3T.....but it's a pretty nuanced rationale.

I hadn't owned a manual since I totaled by E36 M3 in 2005. Back then, manuals were superior in performance (and enjoyment). Then, I talked myself into the automatic was "faster"....and it was.....now, cars are too fast for street use...or, rather, cars have so much hp now the difference in acceleration is negligible anywhere but the track. So, I wanted back in a manual since I missed the engagement. I also wanted a 911 that I could daily, and fly a bit under the radar (no wing)....I also wanted N/A engine that would scream. The Touring checked all the boxes, and still does. I reverse commute every day, on mostly crowd-free interstate and I also take it out of town on weekend to find roads more suited for a GT3. I work at a very corporate job where showing off would be antithetical to corporate espoused values....I feel a Touring can sneak in under the bar for "acceptable" as a basic Porsche for most people.

The Sterrato is a more enjoyable car. A GT3 is a fantastic clinically amazing car, but "fun" is a bit of a stretch, especially compared to a Lambo, and ESPECIALLY compared to the Sterrato. The Sterrato makes louder noises, it goes faster*, everyone stares....you know, the things that probably made you love supercars as a kid in the first place. Throw in that as opposed to thinking about approach angles to parking lots, speed bumps, road debris...or just thinking in general**, you just have fun acting like a juvenile. It's just awesome.

So, in my position, where I want to own a manual, plan to daily a sports/supercar, and have some level of concern about what my employer thinks is ostentatious, I would keep my Touring over Sterrato.

If my situation was having a GT3 wingy with .pdk, and I used to primarily to have fun in town or on back roads as a 2nd "fun" car, with no track plans, and had something more low key as a daily driver, then Sterrato 100% would stay over a GT3.

Last point......in the near term (next 5 years), absolutely a GT3 is a better financial decisions (but real estate or stocks , or even just 10-year TSY bonds at this point are better decision than a GT3). But I agree and suspect near term depreciation on a Sterrato will be materially worse than a 992.1 GT3...much longer term, who knows.

* I'm talking real world fast, where the Lambo makes more torque at 2000 rpm than a GT3 makes peak, and you can tell....I'm aware a GT3 is faster than a Sterrato in most controlled environment situations that are fine bragging rights but that's about it
** you actually do have to think hard about blind spots in the Sterrato

Last edited by atlrvr; 05-13-2024 at 10:46 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by atlrvr:
Breen (05-13-2024), Diablo Dude (05-14-2024), heshalosny (08-28-2024), Ksdaoski (05-13-2024), ParadiseGT3 (08-26-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 10:38 AM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rezin23
Don't care for the Dakar or Sterrato, the F150 Raptor R is more fun, and a third of the price. You can fly over speed bumps and road rain gutters at full speed. It's a blast.
Agreed! Best truck I've owned. Just need to find some areas to jump!
Booth9999 (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 02:32 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,514 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by atlrvr
I've only owned my Sterrato for 4 days at this point, so still in break-in period and doesn't get full ppf until next week, so usage pretty tame compared to the life it's about to live, but I aside from @C.J. Ichiban , I think I'm the only Sterrato owner to comment, so will add additional perspective.
Nice review. I can see how the Sterrato would be fun as a basher. Fast, reasonably agile and able to manage chunky, crapped out roads without worry.

This thread needs some pics - post em up.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:44 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Bashing is great terminology and I agree.

One is great for driving the other for stupid bashing fun.

Definitely more complimentary than interchangeable, so if only one, you have to pick what you're mostly looking for.

Delivery day....wife immediately claimed it as hers.

Lambo Charlotte sales manager giving her and my son the tutorial.

And my GT3 trying hard to look inconspicuous at my office's parking deck.

The following 7 users liked this post by atlrvr:
911Vintage (05-15-2024), AlexCeres (08-28-2024), Diablo Dude (05-14-2024), heshalosny (08-28-2024), Matt(inMA) (05-14-2024), NRAzar (05-13-2024), rk-d (05-13-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-13-2024, 09:10 PM
NRAzar
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

I have contemplated the decision as well, especially with Colorado roads destroying my rims and tires. I just can’t get over the strange looks, especially compared to the beautiful Dakar. Albeit, the Safari package might replace that car.
sparetireless (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 09:47 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by atlrvr
Bashing is great terminology and I agree.

One is great for driving the other for stupid bashing fun.

Definitely more complimentary than interchangeable, so if only one, you have to pick what you're mostly looking for.

Delivery day....wife immediately claimed it as hers.

Lambo Charlotte sales manager giving her and my son the tutorial.

And my GT3 trying hard to look inconspicuous at my office's parking deck.

Rad! Mine is on order at Charlotte too!
atlrvr (05-15-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 06:57 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaeldorian
Rad! Mine is on order at Charlotte too!
I think you posted you received yours over on Lamborghini Talk. Thoughts comparing them? Keeping both for now, or did you trade the GT3 in?
Old 08-26-2024, 07:03 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,395 Likes on 640 Posts

I still love driving my purple sterrato around town. It's the only 'exotic' car I enjoy punishing with remaining dusty, and it looks better like that.

the rear viz is ***. but the crackling of the engine makes up for everything.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:17 PM
MattDFW
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I still love driving my purple sterrato around town. It's the only 'exotic' car I enjoy punishing with remaining dusty, and it looks better like that.

the rear viz is ***. but the crackling of the engine makes up for everything.
I see many have added rear view mirror camera on sterrato. Once my car arrives I will decide. STO had zero visibility as well.
Old 08-28-2024, 12:04 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 619 Posts

For those who have Sterrato or Dakar, how do you enjoy them? I mean, what do you do to get the car to shine and deliver enjoyment in a way that it can do better than other cars? I'm very tempted by these cars mostly because they look ridiculous and badass, but I'm not sure what to do with them. The use cases are probably different for Sterrato and Dakar because Sterrato has very low-profile tires (fronts are even lower profile than those on GT3 RS). But anyway, I'm just curious about how to enjoy them correctly.
heshalosny (08-28-2024)

Quick Reply: GT3 to Lambo Sterrato