Sponsored by:

600LT Spider Vs Huracan STO

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 11:18 AM
Tex587
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
the only GT3s that might be $300k are low mileage, PTS, tourings with a bunch of special options. Everything else is $250-$280. Sure, speccing it is not an option but neither is with the STO or McLaren. Have you driven each car?
That's what I'm looking at, PTS, 2023 winged cars. With the STO and 600lt there was never as extensive of option lists with those cars so getting exactly what i want wasn't as big of a deal to me. However the STO has a lot of "clownish" specs (to me) that are the majority for sale.

I have driven both a 992 gt3 and 600lt. Never an STO but have had some Huracan experience years back. I gravitate towards the 600lt experience but its the Porsche/lambo reliability that makes me second guess.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:38 AM
Falcon01
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 24 Posts

This is actually a very interesting question and I have similar cars on my list for next year - except I will have a GT3 that I am keeping as a track and spirited driving car with CCB and LWBS and am looking for a convertible that's more of a cruiser/GT-ish car, but with character. Similar to how a 911S Cab would be. Somewhat practical and comfortable, but also exotic and fast.

I have my list narrowed down to:
  • C8 Corvette
  • 458/488 Spider
  • 570 Spyder
  • R8 Spider
  • Huracan Spider
  • Maybe some sort of Aston Martin?
My list is also a bit over the place from a value perspective. I like cars that don't depreciate that much, so that's definitely a factor in my search. And although I might be able to spend $200k, I can't help but think picking up a C8 or even C8 Z06 would be a good way to save $100k for a very similar experience. I'm also a bit scared of out of warranty Mclarens, but am ok with high annual maintenance costs (let's say up to $5k/yr on average, although lower is obviously better.), but don't want to be stuck on the side of the road.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:51 PM
Tex587
Cruisin'

Appreciate the help all. The non bias Porsche opinions helped for sure. I went ahead and purchased a 600LT spider. Should be here in a weeks time!
The following 6 users liked this post by Tex587:
911Vintage (05-24-2024), cavemanmoore (06-18-2024), rezin23 (05-23-2024), thebishman (05-26-2024), usctrojanGT3 (06-17-2024), Yc911Kid (06-20-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2024, 12:28 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,852 Likes on 5,174 Posts

gorgeous

congrats
Old 05-24-2024, 01:17 AM
speed77
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Tex587
That's what I'm looking at, PTS, 2023 winged cars. With the STO and 600lt there was never as extensive of option lists with those cars so getting exactly what i want wasn't as big of a deal to me. However the STO has a lot of "clownish" specs (to me) that are the majority for sale.

I have driven both a 992 gt3 and 600lt. Never an STO but have had some Huracan experience years back. I gravitate towards the 600lt experience but its the Porsche/lambo reliability that makes me second guess.
The STO is a great car. My only criticism is visibility. I’ve never gotten along well with that raked windshield and there is zero rear visibility. Car sounds great and drives phenomenally
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-24-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 04:25 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,099 Likes on 459 Posts

I am in a similar boat - I am in the forever waiting game for a GT3 allocation and getting antsy for something with a bit more cache than my 992 Carrera T.

@Tex587 How do you like the 600LT? I have an appointment test one out this weekend. The prices are very reasonable now for what this car is, the Performante is a good $100k more for arguably less car. I also would go Spider. Is that Papaya Spark? Awesome color.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:51 PM
Tex587
Cruisin'

Yea the gt3 was my first choice, I cant blame you for wanting to wait.

Car for car, to me, the 600 is the no brainer. Remember, I wanted a gt3 because of the reliability and more friendly depreciation. The exact opposite of most McLaren's. That being said the gt3 is still an amazing car and if i got a call out of the blue to spec one, in a heart beat i would buy it, but keep the 600. The money i saved not going the STO route would allow it.

The first 3 weeks of ownership I've put on a little over 500 miles and have gotten to know the car well. So enjoyable, a car with plenty of character. Decently predictable but most importantly it makes me smile from ear to ear. The sounds is good, loud, but nothing like a N/A ferrari/lambo.
That is Mclaren Orange, for a car with every single option other than carbon pack 3, why its Mclaren orange instead of Papaya was strange to me, but I cant complain.

I don't regret the decision at all and if a dealership could get me a 992 gt3 allocation or spyder RS, id park it right next to it
The following 2 users liked this post by Tex587:
Schn3ll (06-18-2024), ScratchTheItch (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 08:18 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 70 Posts

Have owned them both and between the two 600LT is the way to go if it's the only toy in your garage.

The 600LT is hands down the best toy for the money. You cannot beat the feel of that carbon tub and the true "race car" experience. The power, top mounted exhaust, all really add to the experience. The only downside is potential maintenance issues...McLaren has gotten a lot better with their reliability but the 600LT is not necessarily immune. Mine had small issues here and there but being close to the dealer it was no big deal. I would want a warranty but you have plenty of options there too. It was also the most fun car I've driven on the track.

STO is great. I've owned two. But it's more "show" than "go"...it sounds amazing, looks amazing, but draws a ton of attention and is not very usable (really no frunk or any storage, terrible visibility) and it feels underpowered vs. the 600LT despite similar output numbers. Nothing put a larger grin on my face than the sound of that V10 but the party trick does get old sometimes and the "lambro" stigma is also hard to shake.

I've also owned a GT3 and have a new one incoming so I'll offer a pretty unbiased (hard to be biased when you've owned them all, unlike most folks on here that have only ever owned Porsche and want you to believe nothing could possibly be better...) GT3 is my favorite "track car I can daily". It blends in which makes it more usable every day, but is still fun and doesn't put you asleep while doing grocery runs. Reliability and value means no fear stacking miles on. But it does feel underpowered compared to some of the competitors and at the end of the day is still a sports car vs. a purpose built super car and is just "another 911"...that's both a pro and a con depending on what you're looking for. For me it's a "pro" hence why I like keeping one around to pair with my true weekend/track toys.
The following 2 users liked this post by ScratchTheItch:
AlexCeres (06-19-2024), Tex587 (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 08:28 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ramoq
Performante:
- active aero
- nurburgring record setter
- AWD
- 640hp
- stiffer suspension (track biased setup)
- 2 year production run

EVO:
- no active aero
- AWD and RWD
- 610hp? (i believe)
- not as loud as a Performante
- 3-4 year production run

STO:
- RWD
- no active aero
- senna brakes and rotors (many don’t know this)
- 640hp
- enhanced brake cooling
- 2 year production run
- basically no trunk space
- hard core track car
- did not set nurburgring record
All of this, but also:

Performance: Last car before Lamborghini redid their sound tuning for noise regulations. Sounds the best but can be overcome with aftermarket options. Also has the "old" infotainment which is actually better than the all-digital ones in EVO/STO in many peoples' eyes. The sound is why many consider it "the best" of the 3 but again that's fixable.

EVO: Nailed it

STO: Lots of carbon exterior body components and interior (carbon doors, can spec exposed carbon floor). Did a great job cutting weight down. Some more performance orientated drive modes, gearing, and much of the tuning was done by Squadra Corse. Absolutely no storage space ("frunk" is replaced with cooling, similar to new 992 GT3 RS) sans basically a small square that can fit a helmet. Was originally rumored to be a limited production, swan song car but they extended production and milked the hell out of them (3 year run). It's why at launch they were going for $200k over sticker and now you can get them under MSRP.

Tecnica, not that you asked, is basically an STO but with some of the creature comforts added back and a facelift. Less hardcore, does not have all the carbon panels and crazy styling, design elements are supposed to carry into the next gen model.

I won't even get into the Sterrato... think Dakar and EVO had a baby.
Tex587 (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 08:54 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,296 Likes on 615 Posts

I've had coupe and spider 600LT's, have driven STO, owned a bunch of 911/GT3/RS type cars and currently have the Dakar and the Sterrato. Just to 'unbias' my opinion.

FWIW the lightweight of the McLarens is really noticeable but the disappointment in terms of track use is the lack of tire- the Porsche just has so much more grip- the 600LT is more like a twin turbo GT4...not that it's a bad thing. It just does lead to a lot of break wear on the fronts. If you're comfortable driving with VERY LIMITED or NO TCS/ ESC these cars are a lot better. The brakes getting cooked from traction control intervention is a downer. So, car control and skidpad with ESC OFF is a must to get the most out of it and most familiar.

If you really drive fast, the LT will nuke the brake pads and eventually the rotors. A lot of track guys swap to Girodisc or Surface Transforms. They're rocketships on the straights with a great HP/LB ratio.

The STO and the new gen Ford GT for me have a very similar feel- similar gearbox noises and front end / steering...best of any road cars over the last few years on track. But just like a GT3 you need to be way way up the rev range to get the HP.

I think the STO and 600LT are really in WAY different places in terms of price...600LT are in low 200's and STO are in mid-high 300's? In that case you're really getting a value on the 600LT- definitely enough to spend on the brakes and the extended warranty.

having been a mclaren superfan and a dealer, and doing dozens of track days in the 720, 675, 600, 650, P1 and even the 570GT4...they're great if you are close to your dealer. If you're in a 90 min radius it's awesome and a lot of the dealers are good to deal with. SF, Newport, AZ, Chicago, Dallas are all good stores.

If you're not near a McLaren or Lambo dealer, I'd get a 2019 GT3RS instead of either of these for track use.
The following 6 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
AlexCeres (06-18-2024), cavemanmoore (06-18-2024), ScratchTheItch (06-17-2024), Tex587 (06-17-2024), thebishman (06-18-2024), usctrojanGT3 (06-17-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-17-2024, 09:43 PM
Tex587
Cruisin'

delete

Last edited by Tex587; 06-17-2024 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:44 PM
Tex587
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I've had coupe and spider 600LT's, have driven STO, owned a bunch of 911/GT3/RS type cars and currently have the Dakar and the Sterrato. Just to 'unbias' my opinion.

FWIW the lightweight of the McLarens is really noticeable but the disappointment in terms of track use is the lack of tire- the Porsche just has so much more grip- the 600LT is more like a twin turbo GT4...not that it's a bad thing. It just does lead to a lot of break wear on the fronts. If you're comfortable driving with VERY LIMITED or NO TCS/ ESC these cars are a lot better. The brakes getting cooked from traction control intervention is a downer. So, car control and skidpad with ESC OFF is a must to get the most out of it and most familiar.

If you really drive fast, the LT will nuke the brake pads and eventually the rotors. A lot of track guys swap to Girodisc or Surface Transforms. They're rocketships on the straights with a great HP/LB ratio.

The STO and the new gen Ford GT for me have a very similar feel- similar gearbox noises and front end / steering...best of any road cars over the last few years on track. But just like a GT3 you need to be way way up the rev range to get the HP.

I think the STO and 600LT are really in WAY different places in terms of price...600LT are in low 200's and STO are in mid-high 300's? In that case you're really getting a value on the 600LT- definitely enough to spend on the brakes and the extended warranty.

having been a mclaren superfan and a dealer, and doing dozens of track days in the 720, 675, 600, 650, P1 and even the 570GT4...they're great if you are close to your dealer. If you're in a 90 min radius it's awesome and a lot of the dealers are good to deal with. SF, Newport, AZ, Chicago, Dallas are all good stores.

If you're not near a McLaren or Lambo dealer, I'd get a 2019 GT3RS instead of either of these for track use.
Appreciate your thoughts.
I had a long conversation with you at Barrett Jackson AZ when the 600 launched. I was very in love with it at that time and glad I made the decision to go the 600 route.

I would love to order a gt3 for some track fun along side the 600. If I get lucky and the demand goes down for them maybe, but i wont hold my breath. I will Absolutely stay away from tracking the 600 even though It feels very capable. I don't want the headaches that go along with tracking one as you mentioned. I never even considered those as possible issues

I was incredibly hesitant to go the McLaren route and for anyone who is second guessing themselves, do it. I haven't owned the car long enough to experience its real hopefully nonexistent problems, but at this point they are worth living with.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:36 PM
pgviper
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same debate in my head so thank you for starting this thread!

Rational mind says... get the new car with warranty, peace of mind is considered a luxury

Irrational mind says... YOLO, get the driver's car, don't waste miles in "second best" (although i'm very aware many would disagree with this assertion).
Old 06-19-2024, 10:29 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,296 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by pgviper
I'm having the same debate in my head so thank you for starting this thread!

Rational mind says... get the new car with warranty, peace of mind is considered a luxury

Irrational mind says... YOLO, get the driver's car, don't waste miles in "second best" (although i'm very aware many would disagree with this assertion).
you have to look at the total picture including the cost, time to fix, insurance costs, performance, seating position, dealer relationship etc. lots to think about.
AlexCeres (06-19-2024)

Quick Reply: 600LT Spider Vs Huracan STO