992 GT3 engine locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 06:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,163 Likes on 5,286 Posts

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

But the sobering fact is that this is what warranties are for. Something breaks, it gets fixed or replaced under warranty. Porsche did you right.

Would you be expecting a new allocation if, say, the door broke? Or the control arms failed? Probably not. At least I don't think so. So a broken engine, replaced with a new one, is all that you are entitled to.

Also the "customer experience" payment is probably not something you're really entitled to, but you got it anyway. Probably makes up for their failure to comp you for the towing expenses. So you're sort of even on that front.

Enjoy the car, don't give this another thought.

Life's too short.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (03-24-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 06:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

This is not a '68 Camaro or a '69 Charger : the engine matching numbers is not an argument anymore these days. Engines get swapped left and right without issue. However I can see why someone would be a bit upset about all this...
Value wise I think you'll be fine,these cars sell at a very good price regardless of engine replacement...that's just my opinion...
The following 2 users liked this post by neanicu:
GrantG (03-22-2024), Myporschelyf (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 06:40 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,411 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
This is not a '68 Camaro or a '69 Charger : the engine matching numbers is not an argument anymore these days. Engines get swapped left and right without issue. However I can see why someone would be a bit upset about all this...
Value wise I think you'll be fine,these cars sell at a very good price regardless of engine replacement...that's just my opinion...
It may not matter now, but in 30-40 years it might. In 1988, didn’t matter if a 3.2 Carrera had matching numbers. Now it does.

I’ll make sure to check back in 2054 lol
The following 3 users liked this post by smiles11:
Myporschelyf (03-22-2024), neanicu (03-22-2024), wageslave (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 06:45 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,514 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by Myporschelyf
Porsche swiftly offered, and acted to replace the car with a new engine. Very grateful, but I’m extremely concerned. I feel I no longer have the pristine factory built car, I shamefully paid a market premium for.
Ironically you have a pristine, factory fresh engine. So there is that. 3 week turn around for a new engine is pretty good, IMO. Warranty notwithstanding, they could have made this far more painful and drawn out, ie Tesla.

Resale? Who knows. It might make some people wary. Knowing that it was replaced early suggests this was a factory flaw, "Friday build" sort of thing, instead of a car that was ragged out. Resale value might take a hit, but it's probably negligible in the grand scheme of things.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:29 PM
engerman
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Fortunately for you (unfortunately for speculators) 992 GT ST RS etc are not rare/collector cars, as they are mass produced. Thus an engine replacement only benefits you, both now, and when/if you sell.

Who doesn’t want a newer engine in a car they’re going to drive?

since you paid over sticker, I would tell the dealer to make this right somehow. They can set aside an allo for you (when they get it)
Myporschelyf (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 09:39 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by npalacio
I may be in the minority here but this is my opinion; you are getting a new motor in a pretty new car. Completed by Porsche. I do not see the issue here. You are talking about its effect on resale value and all that, cars are not investment tools. If you are looking to make money, put it in the market and not a car. Get the new motor and enjoy the car.
Agreed.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:49 PM
Gus22
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 87 Posts

That sucks. I agree with most here. Porsche is only liable to fix/ maintain a viable working vehicle. They did their job. It just isn’t possible that every car produced will never have a problem, that’s why there is a warranty. I can understand your concern on value. If I personally was purchasing I would spend my money on the car with no history of problems. That said, Porsche did not price the vehicle above msrp. The dealership did based on market value/ capitalism. No disrespect, but the buyer determines if the price of that consumable is worth it for them to extend themselves with a higher price in order to obtain what they want.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:06 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus22
That sucks. I agree with most here. Porsche is only liable to fix/ maintain a viable working vehicle. They did their job. It just isn’t possible that every car produced will never have a problem, that’s why there is a warranty. I can understand your concern on value. If I personally was purchasing I would spend my money on the car with no history of problems. That said, Porsche did not price the vehicle above msrp. The dealership did based on market value/ capitalism. No disrespect, but the buyer determines if the price of that consumable is worth it for them to extend themselves with a higher price in order to obtain what they want.
Great point... Porsche had nothing to do with a premium over MSRP. That's the dealer/seller. The fact someone paid over MSRP is irrelevant in this discussion IMO. And Porsche (or the dealer) financing the excess is a lending decision independent of the sale of the car. And to be clear, I see little wrong with deciding to pay over MSRP as that's a personal choice made when deciding how to spend someone's own $$ and that's entirely up to the individual but then expecting some sort of compensation for choosing to do so later doesn't make sense to me.

OP... I really wouldn't let this get to you. The car is fixed and like new again. I would just enjoy the crap out of it and have fun.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:46 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by RG88
They complied with their minimum legal obligations. They don't care to do any further to satisfy a customer. It's their right, but just feels wrong to me as well. Loyalty is a two way street. How much was the tow bill? And if the locked engine at highway speeds caused a catastrophic accident? You would think they'd be grateful you and your wife
were unharmed?
Of course they do bare minimum. You are just a number. Someone else will buy, right?
Old 03-22-2024, 12:48 PM
RG88
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Of course they do bare minimum. You are just a number. Someone else will buy, right?
Refusal to consider picking up the tow bill is just petty. But yeah.....
chance6 (03-23-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 05:07 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,068 Likes on 609 Posts

Hi guys, sharing my frustration here and concerns. I’m also wondering and would like your feedback, on whether or not I’m being rational here.

it’s been a little over a year since I picked up my “dream” car, a “992 GT3”. Like most, I wasn’t blessed with an allocation despite my tall purchasing history with Porsche. It’s a very hard ask in the city of Miami. There’s always a bigger spender, more connected individual, etc.- anyhow, that’s not the point..

I purchased my car CPO with 300 miles (new in my eyes), through a Porsche franchise dealer. Financed the vehicle through Porsche Financial, etc.

One Friday evening, coming back with the Mrs. from dinner, my engine suddenly locked on me while on a major highway at about 80mph. I lost all power, including electrical, hazards, etc. Scary moment with cars zooming by us at night. I was able to safely push the car to the shoulder. Called roadside and had the vehicle picked up. The towing company decided to take the car to their yard overnight as the dealer was closed and would take it in the morning. They did not want to leave the car unlocked without power outside, made sense to me. Around 4am, I receive a call from the towing company that Porsche roadside was not covering the tow bill. This was a very rude awakening call at 4m, frustrated enough, I paid for the tow bill and decided I’d deal with it later.

Upon arrival to the dealer, I was notified the engine was locked. It wouldn’t turn. Not even manually using a large bar. They removed the oil filter which had metal shavings. The dealer and I were surprised as the car has only 2,500 miles (PDK) has never been tracked, essentially a garage cars and coffee queen.

Porsche swiftly offered, and acted to replace the car with a new engine. Very grateful, but I’m extremely concerned. I feel I no longer have the pristine factory built car, I shamefully paid a market premium for. To make matters worse, porsche has not paid the tow bill and keeps pointing fingers at their roadside company which they clearly outsource. I’ve made plenty of calls nobody has taken action or had a manger reach out. Part of me feels, be happy the car was fixed in 3 weeks, but the other part of me worries about the car fax showing an engine replacement and what effects could that have in its value.

Had I paid MSRP I would be content, but Porsche willingly financed through its franchise a car with a market adjustment. I would want the opportunity to just have an allocation to a new one that has not been put through such repairs and I would sell this at a loss to the dealer that issues the allocation. I’ve escalated the matter to Porsche North America and they’ve been firm on their statement that they don’t have access to allocations. My car is now repaired. Have to break it in once again the 932 miles, and Porsche tried to offer a very disrespectful “customer experience” payment which doesn’t even amount to a car payment. I declined it. They said that’s all we have to offer. Take it or leave it, as if I was in need of petty change. I’m extremely disappointed on the company and the opportunity to make things right. As an enthusiast for over a decade with a long roster of both classics and new vehicles, these recent games have been frustrating.

if they would of at least offered a respectable amount, I guess you forget about the bad. However, to offer a compensation well below a monthly payment, and not yet to have covered the tow bill is just insulting. I get it, they fixed the car— but they did nothing special. Their vehicle failed with 2500 miles. It’s their contractual duty to do so, under the warranty agreement. Sure this can happen to any brand- but I feel if I drove any economic transportation class vehicle under warranty, which cost a fraction of the GT3, they would have done the same or better.

I’ve been a die hard fan but man I’m i disappointed. I would have never imagine a GT engine to fail at such low miles and certainly not for Porsche to really be so inconsiderate with their customers.
this to me sums it all
some people got sucked into the hype with GT cars and coughed up more money than they normally would have
convinced themselves that these cars are bullet proof, trouble free, will appreciate in value or minimally depreciate
and at the first mishap , they want to wash their hands and move on
and I think will hear similar stories in the future , with partial remorse component
not being critical here, I think it is normal human behavior
The price might or might be affected . it all depends on how hot the market on them will continue . You can't influence that
so enjoy the car , and when it come to sale , you will cross that bridge when you get there.

Last edited by pitt911; 03-22-2024 at 05:11 PM.
RealityGT (03-22-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 08:23 AM
Timur
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

To original poster what year is your car?
Mine is a 2024 manual and with 1010 miles same thing happened. Car was driving fine and heard a ticking noise pulled over to check car would not start. It’s been over 3 weeks in the USA dealer and Porsche Germany is dragging their feet asking tech to slowly diagnose the problem. I believe there is a quality control check in the engine assembly step. My speculation discussing with the tech is that a bolt inside the oil pan was not properly torqued and it got lose, circulated into engine oil. I am still waiting for my engine rebuilt which is way slower than your 3 weeks.
I believe you are the 3rd person on this forum with a similar experience. I was initially not going to post here but seeing this issue pop up I thought I should, and is leaving a very bad impression of Porsche. I also believe we are not hearing about this openly from Porsche. I spoke to the tech working on my car and he believes there are more cars out there with this defective assembly and my car is currently the test mule where they are asking to disassemble the engine in stages.
I too believe Porsche should do more than what you got. It’s not a Hyundai and I don’t agree with others on this forum to just move on with a new engine. Resale will be impacted as if you were buying a used CPO with this history would what would you do?
If others were in our shoes I would believe they would have a different mindset.
The following 2 users liked this post by Timur:
Icegrill (03-23-2024), Larson E. Rapp (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 11:04 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 185 Posts

Hi guys, sharing my frustration here and concerns. I’m also wondering and would like your feedback, on whether or not I’m being rational here.

it’s been a little over a year since I picked up my “dream” car, a “992 GT3”. Like most, I wasn’t blessed with an allocation despite my tall purchasing history with Porsche. It’s a very hard ask in the city of Miami. There’s always a bigger spender, more connected individual, etc.- anyhow, that’s not the point..

I purchased my car CPO with 300 miles (new in my eyes), through a Porsche franchise dealer. Financed the vehicle through Porsche Financial, etc.

One Friday evening, coming back with the Mrs. from dinner, my engine suddenly locked on me while on a major highway at about 80mph. I lost all power, including electrical, hazards, etc. Scary moment with cars zooming by us at night. I was able to safely push the car to the shoulder. Called roadside and had the vehicle picked up. The towing company decided to take the car to their yard overnight as the dealer was closed and would take it in the morning. They did not want to leave the car unlocked without power outside, made sense to me. Around 4am, I receive a call from the towing company that Porsche roadside was not covering the tow bill. This was a very rude awakening call at 4m, frustrated enough, I paid for the tow bill and decided I’d deal with it later.

Upon arrival to the dealer, I was notified the engine was locked. It wouldn’t turn. Not even manually using a large bar. They removed the oil filter which had metal shavings. The dealer and I were surprised as the car has only 2,500 miles (PDK) has never been tracked, essentially a garage cars and coffee queen.

Porsche swiftly offered, and acted to replace the car with a new engine. Very grateful, but I’m extremely concerned. I feel I no longer have the pristine factory built car, I shamefully paid a market premium for. To make matters worse, porsche has not paid the tow bill and keeps pointing fingers at their roadside company which they clearly outsource. I’ve made plenty of calls nobody has taken action or had a manger reach out. Part of me feels, be happy the car was fixed in 3 weeks, but the other part of me worries about the car fax showing an engine replacement and what effects could that have in its value.

Had I paid MSRP I would be content, but Porsche willingly financed through its franchise a car with a market adjustment. I would want the opportunity to just have an allocation to a new one that has not been put through such repairs and I would sell this at a loss to the dealer that issues the allocation. I’ve escalated the matter to Porsche North America and they’ve been firm on their statement that they don’t have access to allocations. My car is now repaired. Have to break it in once again the 932 miles, and Porsche tried to offer a very disrespectful “customer experience” payment which doesn’t even amount to a car payment. I declined it. They said that’s all we have to offer. Take it or leave it, as if I was in need of petty change. I’m extremely disappointed on the company and the opportunity to make things right. As an enthusiast for over a decade with a long roster of both classics and new vehicles, these recent games have been frustrating.

if they would of at least offered a respectable amount, I guess you forget about the bad. However, to offer a compensation well below a monthly payment, and not yet to have covered the tow bill is just insulting. I get it, they fixed the car— but they did nothing special. Their vehicle failed with 2500 miles. It’s their contractual duty to do so, under the warranty agreement. Sure this can happen to any brand- but I feel if I drove any economic transportation class vehicle under warranty, which cost a fraction of the GT3, they would have done the same or better.

I’ve been a die hard fan but man I’m i disappointed. I would have never imagine a GT engine to fail at such low miles and certainly not for Porsche to really be so inconsiderate with their customers.

i love how entitled people are. it is almost to the point of being stupid.

you are lucky to have a GT3. stop complaining .... porsche is putting in a new motor for you. you don't want it? sell it. there are plenty of other people that would love to have a GT3 and wouldn't think they are some queen bee who was somehow taken advantage of by porsche na or porsche ag.

you want something more? something different? you want someone to tell you how special you are? porsche won't do that ... full stop.

on the mater of the car, it's a mechanical device. as such, it can and will break. and yes, you will likely have issues in the future.

you are disappointed and you have a porsche GT3. wtf man!

Old 03-23-2024, 11:12 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Timur
To original poster what year is your car?
Mine is a 2024 manual and with 1010 miles same thing happened. Car was driving fine and heard a ticking noise pulled over to check car would not start. It’s been over 3 weeks in the USA dealer and Porsche Germany is dragging their feet asking tech to slowly diagnose the problem. I believe there is a quality control check in the engine assembly step. My speculation discussing with the tech is that a bolt inside the oil pan was not properly torqued and it got lose, circulated into engine oil. I am still waiting for my engine rebuilt which is way slower than your 3 weeks.
I believe you are the 3rd person on this forum with a similar experience. I was initially not going to post here but seeing this issue pop up I thought I should, and is leaving a very bad impression of Porsche. I also believe we are not hearing about this openly from Porsche. I spoke to the tech working on my car and he believes there are more cars out there with this defective assembly and my car is currently the test mule where they are asking to disassemble the engine in stages.
I too believe Porsche should do more than what you got. It’s not a Hyundai and I don’t agree with others on this forum to just move on with a new engine. Resale will be impacted as if you were buying a used CPO with this history would what would you do?
If others were in our shoes I would believe they would have a different mindset.
so what should porsche do to make it right? stop everything at once and build you and this other person a brand new car with andreas preuninger hovering over every little step? i mean seriously ... the cars motor went out. porches replaces this with a new one. nearly every 991 GT3 had at least one new motor put in it.
Angryinch (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 11:59 AM
Timur
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly yes, to build me a new one if the car is barely broken in a takes a crap. i waited two years for this damn car and it blows with barely some miles. I had a very different image about Porsches reliability and everyone makes jokes about Mclarens. But what I am seeing as of late that it isnt any better here. Also i see not everyone posts here when their car takes a crap so the picture is not very clear to everyone. I spoke to Tech on my car who is working with lead regional tech leads and this is not one time issue.
You arent in this situation so you have a different perspective and am not really arguing with you.
Myporschelyf (03-23-2024)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 engine locked