Sponsored by:

992 GT3 engine locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 04:20 PM
Myporschelyf
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 992 GT3 engine locked

Hi guys, sharing my frustration here and concerns. I’m also wondering and would like your feedback, on whether or not I’m being rational here.

it’s been a little over a year since I picked up my “dream” car, a “992 GT3”. Like most, I wasn’t blessed with an allocation despite my tall purchasing history with Porsche. It’s a very hard ask in the city of Miami. There’s always a bigger spender, more connected individual, etc.- anyhow, that’s not the point..

I purchased my car CPO with 300 miles (new in my eyes), through a Porsche franchise dealer. Financed the vehicle through Porsche Financial, etc.

One Friday evening, coming back with the Mrs. from dinner, my engine suddenly locked on me while on a major highway at about 80mph. I lost all power, including electrical, hazards, etc. Scary moment with cars zooming by us at night. I was able to safely push the car to the shoulder. Called roadside and had the vehicle picked up. The towing company decided to take the car to their yard overnight as the dealer was closed and would take it in the morning. They did not want to leave the car unlocked without power outside, made sense to me. Around 4am, I receive a call from the towing company that Porsche roadside was not covering the tow bill. This was a very rude awakening call at 4m, frustrated enough, I paid for the tow bill and decided I’d deal with it later.

Upon arrival to the dealer, I was notified the engine was locked. It wouldn’t turn. Not even manually using a large bar. They removed the oil filter which had metal shavings. The dealer and I were surprised as the car has only 2,500 miles (PDK) has never been tracked, essentially a garage cars and coffee queen.

Porsche swiftly offered, and acted to replace the car with a new engine. Very grateful, but I’m extremely concerned. I feel I no longer have the pristine factory built car, I shamefully paid a market premium for. To make matters worse, porsche has not paid the tow bill and keeps pointing fingers at their roadside company which they clearly outsource. I’ve made plenty of calls nobody has taken action or had a manger reach out. Part of me feels, be happy the car was fixed in 3 weeks, but the other part of me worries about the car fax showing an engine replacement and what effects could that have in its value.

Had I paid MSRP I would be content, but Porsche willingly financed through its franchise a car with a market adjustment. I would want the opportunity to just have an allocation to a new one that has not been put through such repairs and I would sell this at a loss to the dealer that issues the allocation. I’ve escalated the matter to Porsche North America and they’ve been firm on their statement that they don’t have access to allocations. My car is now repaired. Have to break it in once again the 932 miles, and Porsche tried to offer a very disrespectful “customer experience” payment which doesn’t even amount to a car payment. I declined it. They said that’s all we have to offer. Take it or leave it, as if I was in need of petty change. I’m extremely disappointed on the company and the opportunity to make things right. As an enthusiast for over a decade with a long roster of both classics and new vehicles, these recent games have been frustrating.

if they would of at least offered a respectable amount, I guess you forget about the bad. However, to offer a compensation well below a monthly payment, and not yet to have covered the tow bill is just insulting. I get it, they fixed the car— but they did nothing special. Their vehicle failed with 2500 miles. It’s their contractual duty to do so, under the warranty agreement. Sure this can happen to any brand- but I feel if I drove any economic transportation class vehicle under warranty, which cost a fraction of the GT3, they would have done the same or better.

I’ve been a die hard fan but man I’m i disappointed. I would have never imagine a GT engine to fail at such low miles and certainly not for Porsche to really be so inconsiderate with their customers.

Popular Reply

03-21-2024, 04:36 PM
npalacio
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Myporschelyf
Hi guys, sharing my frustration here and concerns. I’m also wondering and would like your feedback, on whether or not I’m being rational here.

it’s been a little over a year since I picked up my “dream” car, a “992 GT3”. Like most, I wasn’t blessed with an allocation despite my tall purchasing history with Porsche. It’s a very hard ask in the city of Miami. There’s always a bigger spender, more connected individual, etc.- anyhow, that’s not the point..

I purchased my car CPO with 300 miles (new in my eyes), through a Porsche franchise dealer. Financed the vehicle through Porsche Financial, etc.

One Friday evening, coming back with the Mrs. from dinner, my engine suddenly locked on me while on a major highway at about 80mph. I lost all power, including electrical, hazards, etc. Scary moment with cars zooming by us at night. I was able to safely push the car to the shoulder. Called roadside and had the vehicle picked up. The towing company decided to take the car to their yard overnight as the dealer was closed and would take it in the morning. They did not want to leave the car unlocked without power outside, made sense to me. Around 4am, I receive a call from the towing company that Porsche roadside was not covering the tow bill. This was a very rude awakening call at 4m, frustrated enough, I paid for the tow bill and decided I’d deal with it later.

Upon arrival to the dealer, I was notified the engine was locked. It wouldn’t turn. Not even manually using a large bar. They removed the oil filter which had metal shavings. The dealer and I were surprised as the car has only 2,500 miles (PDK) has never been tracked, essentially a garage cars and coffee queen.

Porsche swiftly offered, and acted to replace the car with a new engine. Very grateful, but I’m extremely concerned. I feel I no longer have the pristine factory built car, I shamefully paid a market premium for. To make matters worse, porsche has not paid the tow bill and keeps pointing fingers at their roadside company which they clearly outsource. I’ve made plenty of calls nobody has taken action or had a manger reach out. Part of me feels, be happy the car was fixed in 3 weeks, but the other part of me worries about the car fax showing an engine replacement and what effects could that have in its value.

Had I paid MSRP I would be content, but Porsche willingly financed through its franchise a car with a market adjustment. I would want the opportunity to just have an allocation to a new one that has not been put through such repairs and I would sell this at a loss to the dealer that issues the allocation. I’ve escalated the matter to Porsche North America and they’ve been firm on their statement that they don’t have access to allocations. My car is now repaired. Have to break it in once again the 932 miles, and Porsche tried to offer a very disrespectful “customer experience” payment which doesn’t even amount to a car payment. I declined it. They said that’s all we have to offer. Take it or leave it, as if I was in need of petty change. I’m extremely disappointed on the company and the opportunity to make things right. As an enthusiast for over a decade with a long roster of both classics and new vehicles, these recent games have been frustrating.

if they would of at least offered a respectable amount, I guess you forget about the bad. However, to offer a compensation well below a monthly payment, and not yet to have covered the tow bill is just insulting. I get it, they fixed the car— but they did nothing special. Their vehicle failed with 2500 miles. It’s their contractual duty to do so, under the warranty agreement. Sure this can happen to any brand- but I feel if I drove any economic transportation class vehicle under warranty, which cost a fraction of the GT3, they would have done the same or better.

I’ve been a die hard fan but man I’m i disappointed. I would have never imagine a GT engine to fail at such low miles and certainly not for Porsche to really be so inconsiderate with their customers.
I may be in the minority here but this is my opinion; you are getting a new motor in a pretty new car. Completed by Porsche. I do not see the issue here. You are talking about its effect on resale value and all that, cars are not investment tools. If you are looking to make money, put it in the market and not a car. Get the new motor and enjoy the car.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:36 PM
npalacio
Rennlist Member

I may be in the minority here but this is my opinion; you are getting a new motor in a pretty new car. Completed by Porsche. I do not see the issue here. You are talking about its effect on resale value and all that, cars are not investment tools. If you are looking to make money, put it in the market and not a car. Get the new motor and enjoy the car.
The following 13 users liked this post by npalacio:
catdog2 (03-21-2024), Daft Chief (03-21-2024), Denny Swift (03-23-2024), Diablo Dude (03-23-2024), flsupraguy (03-22-2024), Gabriel@NutCracker (03-26-2024), Gbos1 (03-24-2024), gthal (03-21-2024), M5150 (03-26-2024), Mike Mullins (03-23-2024), ShakeNBake (03-23-2024), UncleDude (03-23-2024), usctrojanGT3 (03-24-2024) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-21-2024, 04:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,958 Likes on 2,809 Posts

Engine replacement is no big deal in a 911. Shouldn’t affect value. Ask for a warranty extension or other perk.
The following 6 users liked this post by GrantG:
Diablo Dude (03-23-2024), flsupraguy (03-22-2024), Icegrill (03-23-2024), M5150 (03-26-2024), Randy M (03-21-2024), UncleDude (03-23-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-21-2024, 04:41 PM
RG88
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 110 Posts

They complied with their minimum legal obligations. They don't care to do any further to satisfy a customer. It's their right, but just feels wrong to me as well. Loyalty is a two way street. How much was the tow bill? And if the locked engine at highway speeds caused a catastrophic accident? You would think they'd be grateful you and your wife were unharmed?

Last edited by RG88; 03-21-2024 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NRAzar (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 04:43 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by npalacio

the weird thing is that a replaced engine done by Porsche would not affect me. If anything I’d appreciate something is kinda newer. Does this really affect buying decisions?

Last edited by Captain P; 03-21-2024 at 04:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Captain P:
Diablo Dude (03-23-2024), Gk101 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 04:46 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by RG88
They complied with their minimum legal obligations. They don't care to do any further to satisfy a customer. It's their right, but just feels wrong to me as well. Loyalty is a two way street.
this I can agree on. Porsche is no more the company that cares about customers because we the customers are very resilient. As with anything, there are ups and downs, and people do not forget. People now know Porsches true color when they hold the cards.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:46 PM
npalacio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Captain P
the weird thing is that a replaced engine y Porsche would not affect me. If anything I’d appreciate something is kinda newer. Does this really affect buying decisions?
Yeah I do not know but that's what he said in the original post that it was a concern of his.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:06 PM
Myporschelyf
8th Gear

i agree- not an investment. Just feels it’s close to the equivalent of the dealer crashing your car during a test drive and fixing it. Sure dealer spec fix OEM parts. Even if minor, the “carfax” notes something. It does feel good to know you’re not going to fall flat on your face given the event, when and if you upgrade later.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:13 PM
Myporschelyf
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RG88
They complied with their minimum legal obligations. They don't care to do any further to satisfy a customer. It's their right, but just feels wrong to me as well. Loyalty is a two way street. How much was the tow bill? And if the locked engine at highway speeds caused a catastrophic accident? You would think they'd be grateful you and your wife were unharmed?
bare minimum is right. Tow bill is such a marginal figure ($275) not worth the continued energy of fighting. It baffles me the manufacturer can’t simply allocate you with the same car. I’m not looking for handouts, I’d gladly pay for it and turn this in at sticker, which is at a lost for me.

Feels like Porsche is hiding under a shadow and avoiding possibly a recall with these engines. I’ve read and heard about a few others having the same catastrophic failure. If this became a recall I’d be happy as I’ve been corrected. However, I don’t want to be an isolated problem with a carfax noting an engine replacement.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:16 PM
npalacio
Rennlist Member

bare minimum is right. Tow bill is such a marginal figure ($275) not worth the continued energy of fighting. It baffles me the manufacturer can’t simply allocate you with the same car. I’m not looking for handouts, I’d gladly pay for it and turn this in at sticker, which is at a lost for me.

Feels like Porsche is hiding under a shadow and avoiding possibly a recall with these engines. I’ve read and heard about a few others having the same catastrophic failure. If this became a recall I’d be happy as I’ve been corrected. However, I don’t want to be an isolated problem with a carfax noting an engine replacement.
They cannot allocate you a new car because of obvious reasons, you arent being rational with that expectation. They are replacing the engine, thats a very reasonable solution here.

You keep going back to the carfax report and value. I highly doubt Porsche themselves replacing a motor due to a failure will heavily impact your resale value, since that seems to be the biggest reason you are worried here.
The following 2 users liked this post by npalacio:
Diablo Dude (03-23-2024), M5150 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 05:42 PM
Myporschelyf
8th Gear

They cannot allocate you a new car because of obvious reasons, you arent being rational with that expectation. They are replacing the engine, thats a very reasonable solution here.

You keep going back to the carfax report and value. I highly doubt Porsche themselves replacing a motor due to a failure will heavily impact your resale value, since that seems to be the biggest reason you are worried here.
appreciate the feedback. Sounds like a manufacturer engine replacement is nothing to worry about. 💪
Old 03-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 652 Posts

Sounds like another GT3 with a plugged crank bearing oil passage. There is a similar thread to this a week or two ago, search for it.

Another guy posted he had a new engine too. He had to sign an NDA.

Personally, I would shy away from a car with a new engine unless I knew the owner and the situation. However, it should be fine if all documented at Porsche.

Crappy situation, but this stuff happens. Try get some extended warranty from them...
Old 03-21-2024, 06:13 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

I can understand the OP’s concern. I’m a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Porsches, so I can see this being a bit disheartening to have a replacement engine fitted in your brand new GT3. Every Porsche has an engine & gearbox serial number (CoA) associated to the car.

That said, I wouldn’t let it dissuade me from wanting to keep the car. I would just respectfully ask PCNA & the dealer who financed through PFS to help you by extending the warranty of your car to 10 years / 100k miles. Let them know you feel this is the best way to restore your faith in their product while giving yourself peace of mind with the new engine.

My .02

Last edited by smiles11; 03-21-2024 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:14 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Given a choice between a car with a replaced engine, and another car on the market with its original engine, all other considerations being the same? I know i'd definitely take the car with its original engine. The better part of 30 years ago I was a Snap-On dealer and used to visit mechanics once a week. Next to most tool boxes was a five gallon bucket of nuts, bolts, and fittings of all sorts. Just saying...

8 years ago I was in the same exact predicament with a 2016 GT350. Approx 3K miles on it driving home from work on surface streets driving gently in traffic, the instrument cluster lit up with loud crackling sounds coming from under hood and coolant spitting out of the tail pipes. It got towed to my dealer. Ford offered to replace the engine, I refused. My dealer went to work for me with Ford corporate and I got a new car 6 months later as they don't make cars with summer tires in the winter.

Porsche could replace your car if they saw value in the relationship. It takes compelling the right person to see that value. I'd start reaching out to whoever I could. Some people wouldn't be worried about it but I'm admittedly uptight about stuff like this.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (03-23-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 06:15 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Do you have any idea how many GT3 engines were replaced in 2014 models? Mine was one of them. Did not have any impact on resale. The only issue I see here is not paying the towing bill. But I'm sure your insurance company did and probably why Porsche is not willing to reimburse you for towing.

You need to alter your mindset. Treat this as nothing more than a warranty claim. Auto manufacturer warranties are restricted to repair. Compensation beyond that is excluded.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick:
BruceT (03-24-2024), tmslc (03-23-2024)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 engine locked