992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 23RS is for sale!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023 | 12:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
The car is brand new and very few cars have landed in the US so of course the demand is swamping the supply. I predict that the 992 Touring ADMs will be higher than the ADMs for the GT3RS when the dust settles, just like it ended up with the 991.2 Touring and GT3RS. The 992 GT3RS is a more hardcore track car with less storage space than the 991.2 GT3RS plus then you got the whole hot air with the windows down thing, I think you'll see a lot of folks selling their cars shortly after getting them once the new shiny toy syndrome has worn off, especially the YOLO crowd.
You may very well be right. It's cool that Porsche has pushed the 992 3RS to extremes, but that may wind up reducing demand for it over time.

Yes sir, history has a funny way of repeating itself and this time it will not be different. I thought I'd try out a Touring and then trade up for a GT3RS but the more that I've driven the Touring the more I like it, specially since it's a manual. The GT4RS will be my main track car so the want factor for a GT3RS isn't high enough to pay an ADM. Fact remains that they will make more 992.1 GT3RSs than 991.2 GT3RSs and then they'll build more 992.2 GT3RSs than 992.1 GT3RSs. GT3s and GT3RSs not investments and are not collector cars, if you want a Porsche collector car go buy a CGT, 959, 991R, 997 4L, ect.
I broadly agree, except that the cars which are "last of [something pretty cool]" tend to depreciate less or gain in value over time, and so have a collectability aspect. For example, the 991.2 3RS was the last 3RS which has a frunk and glove box, and also has a more analog cockpit than the 992 cars, so I think has some collectability. Similarly, the Cayman R was the last 987 Cayman, and the 987s were the last Caymans with hydraulic steering. If GT4 RS is the last track-oriented NA Cayman, it will be collectible too.
Old 07-02-2023 | 01:26 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

The car is brand new and very few cars have landed in the US so of course the demand is swamping the supply. I predict that the 992 Touring ADMs will be higher than the ADMs for the GT3RS when the dust settles, just like it ended up with the 991.2 Touring and GT3RS. The 992 GT3RS is a more hardcore track car with less storage space than the 991.2 GT3RS plus then you got the whole hot air with the windows down thing, I think you'll see a lot of folks selling their cars shortly after getting them once the new shiny toy syndrome has worn off, especially the YOLO crowd.
Sounds about right. Unfortunately as a result I think finding a good track spec build will be hard for a while…

Last edited by Mech33; 07-02-2023 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2023 | 03:39 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Originally Posted by Manifold
You may very well be right. It's cool that Porsche has pushed the 992 3RS to extremes, but that may wind up reducing demand for it over time. I broadly agree, except that the cars which are "last of [something pretty cool]" tend to depreciate less or gain in value over time, and so have a collectability aspect. For example, the 991.2 3RS was the last 3RS which has a frunk and glove box, and also has a more analog cockpit than the 992 cars, so I think has some collectability. Similarly, the Cayman R was the last 987 Cayman, and the 987s were the last Caymans with hydraulic steering. If GT4 RS is the last track-oriented NA Cayman, it will be collectible too.
The speculation of the new 3rs is grossly downplayed by blatant ignorance. 1st off the 3RS is 100% different compared to the 991 RS so who implied that deserves a nice slap from the set of silk lacey gloves he rode his high horse in on. The cars display 2 very different personalities, and frankly the 992RS is the step into the future Porsche has been lacking to get a new audience. it's that new audience that's actually pushing the demand, and not the bird dog cult bois that have felt they're entitled to X Allocations. Those same bird dogs are the ones kicking and screaming of ADM and saying the 992RS is just another generation and will be produced to extremes with no future desirability. Yet they ignore the blatant fact that the production levels of this model are dismal not by choice, but supply chain woes. Then to top it off the amount of money put into R&D and marketing for this 3RS and the boundaries Porsche pushed to bring this car to street-ability are relatively uncharted for such a massive company. We're not talking a US only 100ish units to meet the Street production threshold. So let's quit foolishly speculating for sake of downplaying the significance of the 992RS as this is the exact same crap that made the 918 program since they had a hard time selling that car originally. The purists talking **** and downplaying relevance all in the name of ignorance. Moving on to the Cayman.... I love my 4RS for what it is, but it's just not special in the terms of the car itself. Maybe the nature of the design and application of how the car was brought together with the motor essentially in the cab with the driver, but as an actual drivers car no its not. Frankly its pretty freaking slow, and obnoxiously loud. The noise is the experience, that's it. Beyond that it's a Cayman that can turn somewhat tighter, go a tiny bit faster..... yet in the end can't break into the sub <7min range. It is a nice daily driver though with all its storage.

The 992RS is a step in the necessary direction for brand growth, while the Vision X is actually a step backwards with design and power plant.

Porsche is having an identity crisis and needing new blood in the game since the younger generation it needs the $ from wants significantly different than what the old $ that dying off did.
The following users liked this post:
Jrtaylor9 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-02-2023 | 05:36 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
The speculation of the new 3rs is grossly downplayed by blatant ignorance. 1st off the 3RS is 100% different compared to the 991 RS so who implied that deserves a nice slap from the set of silk lacey gloves he rode his high horse in on. The cars display 2 very different personalities, and frankly the 992RS is the step into the future Porsche has been lacking to get a new audience. it's that new audience that's actually pushing the demand, and not the bird dog cult bois that have felt they're entitled to X Allocations. Those same bird dogs are the ones kicking and screaming of ADM and saying the 992RS is just another generation and will be produced to extremes with no future desirability. Yet they ignore the blatant fact that the production levels of this model are dismal not by choice, but supply chain woes. Then to top it off the amount of money put into R&D and marketing for this 3RS and the boundaries Porsche pushed to bring this car to street-ability are relatively uncharted for such a massive company. We're not talking a US only 100ish units to meet the Street production threshold. So let's quit foolishly speculating for sake of downplaying the significance of the 992RS as this is the exact same crap that made the 918 program since they had a hard time selling that car originally. The purists talking **** and downplaying relevance all in the name of ignorance. Moving on to the Cayman.... I love my 4RS for what it is, but it's just not special in the terms of the car itself. Maybe the nature of the design and application of how the car was brought together with the motor essentially in the cab with the driver, but as an actual drivers car no its not. Frankly its pretty freaking slow, and obnoxiously loud. The noise is the experience, that's it. Beyond that it's a Cayman that can turn somewhat tighter, go a tiny bit faster..... yet in the end can't break into the sub <7min range. It is a nice daily driver though with all its storage.

The 992RS is a step in the necessary direction for brand growth, while the Vision X is actually a step backwards with design and power plant.

Porsche is having an identity crisis and needing new blood in the game since the younger generation it needs the $ from wants significantly different than what the old $ that dying off did.
Only piece I would comment on is we saw the same thought process on the 992 GT3 production that it would be far less than other generations. And indeed Porsche continued to build - there will be more 992 GT3 RS's than there have been past generations of GT3 RS's when the dust settles. Demand is there, Porsche won't ignore that along with they are better at marketing than us the consumers, so they know how to role these cars out correctly to the audience they are trying to capture.
RyanSD (07-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2023 | 07:17 AM
richk
Drifting

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I agree and u should do whatever u want with your money. Honestly your down the street from me and if I knew you better I could have probably gotten you a new allocation at significantly lower than what you paid or what that other dude was willing to pay by just throwing it under my name and at the 11th hour/day of having us both go down there and u sign for it

I'm only here to try and help, I think that dude was top dollar who bid.
Again your just wrong...you just want to continue to debate.

I was offered 160k over yesterday and I probably will take it.

And i certainly dont need your help have bought over 50 porsche.

The landscape has certainly changed with publics owning dealerships and broker manipulation

Im thinking your the guy who is correct all the time.

Old 07-02-2023 | 07:19 AM
richk
Drifting

Also a dealership in LA offered to take on consignment and would pay a number higher than the 160.
Old 07-02-2023 | 07:32 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Originally Posted by richk
Also a dealership in LA offered to take on consignment and would pay a number higher than the 160.
​​​​​​​And it'll sell.
Old 07-02-2023 | 08:25 AM
disden
Drifting

I have a 992 RS ordered, but honestly not that excited about it this time around as the costs are getting insane and the track time improvements are getting smaller and smaller. I have owned all GT variants for awhile now and track them extensively, the more track focused aspect of the 992 RS is appealing, but I am concerned it’s losing some of its fun and playfulness that the other cars possessed. My 991.2 GT3 RS was a gem, something so special about that car, I regret trading it on my 992 GT3 almost daily. Over the years I have found that the amount of joy a car gives me while driving is more important than the lap timer. My 992 GT3 is quicker most places, but I enjoyed the 991 more.

That being said, I feel the GT4 RS is the absolute sweet spot at the moment. At most tracks it’s 1-2 seconds slower, but in skilled hands it is still very quick. I tracked a friends for a session and it’s an absolute riot, I was slicing thru traffic having a blast, such a playful and fun car. I know you think it’s “frankly pretty freaking slow“ because it can’t go under 7 minutes at the Ring, but very few cars on earth can, not even a Viper ACR which you constantly reference as some holy grail. which btw is also slower to 60 than a GT4 RS, so I am confused why you say it feels slow. Your 992 RS will also unfortunately feel slow as it’s about the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as the GT4 RS. But Heck these days all of my sports cars feel slow now against my Taycan!

my GT4 RS has been sitting in Leipzig for months waiting for me to pick it up this summer. My 3 RS will be ED next Spring. But, I would rather have my prior 991.2 GT3 RS back if i could. So many memories (also ED back in 2018, with enjoyable track days).
The following 8 users liked this post by disden:
Dr.Bill (07-08-2023), Manifold (07-02-2023), Mech33 (07-02-2023), ParadiseGT3 (07-02-2023), RyanSD (07-03-2023), usctrojanGT3 (07-02-2023), welikethetrack (07-02-2023), Wilder (07-02-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-02-2023 | 08:36 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

You’re looking at it from a marketing angle, but the 992 3RS isn’t any sort revolutionary advance over the previous 3RS or the 992 GT3.

It’s a similar engine with similar power, similar weight, active aero with more downforce (and drag), adjustable dampers and diff, and net result of only about 1 sec per minute faster on the track if the driver has the skill to make use of the higher cornering grip.

And this relatively small pace advantage comes at the expense of lack of storage space, hot air into the cabin if windows down, and significantly higher cost.

Cars and coffee poser sorts of guys may buy the car to show off their new status toy, but if they don’t enjoy driving the car enough, they’ll eventually sell it. And the number of track guys who buy the car will be limited because the car is very expensive for a track car, and many of those willing and able to spend this much on a track car will get a cup car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
RyanSD (07-03-2023), usctrojanGT3 (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023 | 08:51 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

And it'll sell.
Porsche is absolutely insane for not having the basic sticker price on these cars at $400,000. Obviously people for whatever reason, unlimited money, current heavy drug usage, dropped too much acid in the 1980s etc. are willing to pay that kind of money for these things. Why should Porsche miss out on all the profits? I’m not going to listen to long term Porsche customers telling me it’s because you guys won’t ever buy cars from them anymore if they do that. I don’t think they should care. The market is the market. Obviously people will still buy them. I just don’t know why they don’t mark them up themselves. Remember if these things start sitting on lots, they can drop the prices back down to adjusted market prices. Right now those adjusted market prices are obviously $400,000 plus.

Here’s an idea for a Porsche. They should sell allocations for the GT3 RS at $450,000. That price includes a factory tour, meeting the CEO, getting to drive your car around the autobahn, and lastly, having your car flown back to your home wherever that may be in the world. If I ran Porsche, depending on the amount of people, willing to pay that kind of money for these cars, I might dedicate more of my factory to building them. Part of that price can include getting your car within a month. I would shut down production on all of the vehicles until I sold every last one of these things I possibly could. Imagine the bonus this dude would get for that? I bet it would take probably less than a year for all these people to finally get over spending double what the car is worth and the market would probably calm down. Then Porsche could return to normal operation. If not, and there’s an unlimited amount of people actually willing to pay double what this car’s current MSRP is, then I would just keep making them.

I really wish the Watch world would do this. I think they could get the watch market under control very quickly and finally eliminate the pain in the *** watch hyping grey market that’s probably the leading cause of all the pricing creases to begin with. But that’s a different conversation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patton250:
RyanSD (07-03-2023), usctrojanGT3 (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023 | 09:03 AM
richk
Drifting

Originally Posted by disden
I have a 992 RS ordered, but honestly not that excited about it this time around as the costs are getting insane and the track time improvements are getting smaller and smaller. I have owned all GT variants for awhile now and track them extensively, the more track focused aspect of the 992 RS is appealing, but I am concerned it’s losing some of its fun and playfulness that the other cars possessed. My 991.2 GT3 RS was a gem, something so special about that car, I regret trading it on my 992 GT3 almost daily. Over the years I have found that the amount of joy a car gives me while driving is more important than the lap timer. My 992 GT3 is quicker most places, but I enjoyed the 991 more.

That being said, I feel the GT4 RS is the absolute sweet spot at the moment. At most tracks it’s 1-2 seconds slower, but in skilled hands it is still very quick. I tracked a friends for a session and it’s an absolute riot, I was slicing thru traffic having a blast, such a playful and fun car. I know you think it’s “frankly pretty freaking slow“ because it can’t go under 7 minutes at the Ring, but very few cars on earth can, not even a Viper ACR which you constantly reference as some holy grail. which btw is also slower to 60 than a GT4 RS, so I am confused why you say it feels slow. Your 992 RS will also unfortunately feel slow as it’s about the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as the GT4 RS. But Heck these days all of my sports cars feel slow now against my Taycan!

my GT4 RS has been sitting in Leipzig for months waiting for me to pick it up this summer. My 3 RS will be ED next Spring. But, I would rather have my prior 991.2 GT3 RS back if i could. So many memories (also ED back in 2018, with enjoyable track days).
Excellent post...

I had two 991.1RS...drove them a total of 30k miles.

I did a few spirited drives in 992RS and was considerate because of break in.. for sure the combo of 992 chassis and massive downforce make it amazing

That said, after sale will be looking for 991.2RS

RyanSD (07-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2023 | 09:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patton250
Porsche is absolutely insane for not having the basic sticker price on these cars at $400,000. Obviously people for whatever reason, unlimited money, current heavy drug usage, dropped too much acid in the 1980s etc. are willing to pay that kind of money for these things. Why should Porsche miss out on all the profits? I’m not going to listen to long term Porsche customers telling me it’s because you guys won’t ever buy cars from them anymore if they do that. I don’t think they should care. The market is the market. Obviously people will still buy them. I just don’t know why they don’t mark them up themselves. Remember if these things start sitting on lots, they can drop the prices back down to adjusted market prices. Right now those adjusted market prices are obviously $400,000 plus.

Here’s an idea for a Porsche. They should sell allocations for the GT3 RS at $450,000. That price includes a factory tour, meeting the CEO, getting to drive your car around the autobahn, and lastly, having your car flown back to your home wherever that may be in the world. If I ran Porsche, depending on the amount of people, willing to pay that kind of money for these cars, I might dedicate more of my factory to building them. Part of that price can include getting your car within a month. I would shut down production on all of the vehicles until I sold every last one of these things I possibly could. Imagine the bonus this dude would get for that? I bet it would take probably less than a year for all these people to finally get over spending double what the car is worth and the market would probably calm down. Then Porsche could return to normal operation. If not, and there’s an unlimited amount of people actually willing to pay double what this car’s current MSRP is, then I would just keep making them.

I really wish the Watch world would do this. I think they could get the watch market under control very quickly and finally eliminate the pain in the *** watch hyping grey market that’s probably the leading cause of all the pricing creases to begin with. But that’s a different conversation.
Porsche is playing the long game. In the long run, they want the supply to be just a little less than the demand, so that all the cars sell quickly and aren’t sitting in showrooms for a long time.

They know that current demand is transiently high because of the pandemic and the stimulus response to it; the demand won’t stay at this level. If they were to build too many cars now, there would be a glut of cars sitting around in the future, so demand for the new cars would drop.

They can’t raise the MSRP way up now because dropping the MSRP later would be a very bad look and those who paid the higher MSRP would feel burned.

Porsche knows what they’re doing, better than we do.
The following 4 users liked this post by Manifold:
IrwinMFletcher (07-03-2023), mashoutposse (07-07-2023), MEGY911 (07-02-2023), WernerE (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023 | 09:38 AM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by richk
Excellent post...

I had two 991.1RS...drove them a total of 30k miles.

I did a few spirited drives in 992RS and was considerate because of break in.. for sure the combo of 992 chassis and massive downforce make it amazing

That said, after sale will be looking for 991.2RS
wise choice. The styling updates from the .1 were absolutely spot on, timeless in my opinion. I used to go into the garage for 3 years to just drink a beer and look at my Lizard WP RS, i cant say i have done that with my 992 GT3 in almost 2 years. As for the driving experience, the steering is lighter on the .2 but is still very accurate. But the biggest improvement was the motor, it’s so much snappier and comes on at lower rpms, feels quicker for sure. All in all a classic keeper. I always said I would keep mine no matter what, but sadly lost my mind temporarily and traded it in right before prices skyrocketed! Oh well. Enjoy
Old 07-02-2023 | 02:06 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden

You nailed it right there, I told my dealer that I wanted a GT4RS over a GT3RS. I absolutely LOVED track my 981 & 718 GT4s, it was on par with tracking my 997RS. The 991 GT3/RSs were fun to track but a bit too easy to go fast and very scary for me near the limit. I like driving all of my Porsches around town too but the 992 GT3RS isn't a car I'd drive around town because it's just too over the top.
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
Dr.Bill (07-08-2023), RyanSD (07-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2023 | 02:08 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Only piece I would comment on is we saw the same thought process on the 992 GT3 production that it would be far less than other generations. And indeed Porsche continued to build - there will be more 992 GT3 RS's than there have been past generations of GT3 RS's when the dust settles. Demand is there, Porsche won't ignore that along with they are better at marketing than us the consumers, so they know how to role these cars out correctly to the audience they are trying to capture.
Exactly, if the demand is there (and it is) Porsche will keep pumping out more and more cars. They will probably produced about 4,500 NA GT3/Tourings which is materially more than 991.2 GT3/Tourings so it' very easy to assume they'll make 992.1 GT3RSs than 991.2 GT3RSs.

Quick Reply: My 23RS is for sale!