992 GT3: PCCB vs Iron Brakes on Track

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 12:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,852 Likes on 5,174 Posts

Whatever happened to PSCBs?

Will they ever trickle down from the Cayenne models?
Old 06-22-2023, 12:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Whatever happened to PSCBs?

Will they ever trickle down from the Cayenne models?
I don’t think those were ever intended for sports cars (or track use), since the friction surface on the rotors is super thin and track use could destroy them pretty quickly.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:37 PM
trez63
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 48 Posts

I am no expert on track braking performance but I wanted to chime in with one quick fact that I've noticed. I only got my GT3 2 weeks ago and have put about 1000 miles on it very quickly. Been using the hell out of the PCCB and they perform wonderfully. But the biggest surprise to me is the utter lack of brake dust. I have the Neodyme wheels and was worried they would get dirty too often. I'm shocked at how long the wheels stay clean with the PCCBs. I know it's a superficial reason, but that alone is enough to make me option them again. I've had ceramic brakes on past cars but got more brake dust than I do with these PCCBs. Very impressed. Also, they're not noisy (yet).
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 03:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,430 Likes on 2,520 Posts

Build locked a few days ago, and now I'm kinda wishing I had gotten PCCBs ...
Old 06-22-2023, 04:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Not to throw gas on the fire.

But choosing PCCBs as an original OEM option is maybe one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, options Porsche offers on its configurator.

A set of OEM iron rotors (f/r) is about 4k, post-build if you buy it from somewhere like Suncoast.

A set of OEM PCCBs is about 26k, post-build from Suncoast (just parts, no installation).

If you spec OEM PCCBs on the configurator its only 9k (unless you want black calipers, then 10k)

So even if you configured the car with irons, then bought a set of PCCBs after-the-fact, and sold the irons, you'd still would have paid a net of 22k for the PCCBs (26k minus 4k). And that's ex of labor and installation costs.

Had you just configured the PCCBs from the start, you would have only paid 9k, saving yourself about 13k.
Old 06-22-2023, 04:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Not to throw gas on the fire.

But choosing PCCBs as an original OEM option is maybe one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, options Porsche offers on its configurator.

A set of OEM iron rotors (f/r) is about 4k, post-build if you buy it from somewhere like Suncoast.

A set of OEM PCCBs is about 26k, post-build from Suncoast (just parts, no installation).

If you spec OEM PCCBs on the configurator its only 9k (unless you want black calipers, then 10k)

So even if you configured the car with irons, then bought a set of PCCBs after-the-fact, and sold the irons, you'd still would have paid a net of 22k for the PCCBs (26k minus 4k). And that's ex of labor and installation costs.

Had you just configured the PCCBs from the start, you would have only paid 9k, saving yourself about 13k.
OTOH, if you spec PCCB and use them up on the track, you're looking at ~$30k to replace, whereas ST are about half that price and seem to last longer. When ST is used up, can put on the original iron rotors and the car will have fresh brakes.
Orca911 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 04:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OTOH, if you spec PCCB and use them up on the track, you're looking at ~$30k to replace, whereas ST are about half that price and seem to last longer. When ST is used up, can put on the original iron rotors and the car will have fresh brakes.
That's assuming the replacement of PCCBs would equal the number of iron rotor replacements.

But even if that was true (which I am not committing too (see my post above)), you could easily spec OEM PCCBs on the configurator, take off the PCCBs sell them easily for 15k, which would easily cover the cost of the ST rotors.

If you spec the OEM irons, you'd still have to pony up another 10k, if not more, for ST rotors.

So the math still works out in favor of PCCBs, no matter how one works the hypothetical.
smiles11 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 04:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

That's assuming the replacement of PCCBs would equal the number of iron rotor replacements.

But even if that was true (which I am not committing too (see my post above)), you could easily spec OEM PCCBs on the configurator, take off the PCCBs sell them easily for 15k, which would easily cover the cost of the ST rotors.

If you spec the OEM irons, you'd still have to pony up another 10k, if not more, for ST rotors.

So the math still works out in favor of PCCBs, no matter how one works the hypothetical.
Your math may work, but I don't know if I can change my build now, and afraid to even ask.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

I guess it gets a little more complicated if you figure that the option price of $10k for PCCB's also is subject to sales tax, registration cost, and insurance cost (every year), whereas aftermarket ST's would not. And I suppose if you prefer Red or Black calipers to Yellow, a further complication (or cost)...

And it you're assuming take-off PCCB rotors are worth $15k, the the take-off Irons must be worth $3k...

But your point about the PCCB option price being reasonable compared to the cost of the rotors alone, I agree it is artificially low (maybe designed to acquire more recurring replacement customers at $22k).

Last edited by GrantG; 06-22-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I guess it gets a little more complicated if you figure that the option price of $10k for PCCB's also is subject to sales tax, registration cost, and insurance cost (every year), whereas aftermarket ST's would not. And I suppose if you prefer Red or Black calipers to Yellow, a further complication (or cost)...
The bigger issue for me is that you if you use up say 75% of the rotor life and want to sell or trade in the car, what do you do? A saavy buyer would want the carbon content of the rotors checked, and would expect close to a $30k discount on the price of the car, or would ask you to replace the rotors at a cost of about $30k. If you're using iron rotors, you just replace them as needed, and not a big deal if you have to replace them to sell the car.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
But your point about the PCCB option price being reasonable compared to the cost of the rotors alone, I agree it is artificially low (maybe designed to acquire more recurring replacement customers at $22k).
Yeah, that was my main point.

People look at 9k (or 10k) for PCCBs and think, "OMG, NFW I am paying that for brakes" but what people don't realize is in the grand scheme of things, PCCBs literally is maybe the cheapest OEM option you can configure from the factory.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Your math may work, but I don't know if I can change my build now, and afraid to even ask.
Yeah, I know.

Sorry, wasn't meant to stir up unnecessary angst.

Just trying to point out PCCBs, while on the face may be $$$, if you look more deeply into it, it's not as exorbitant as most people think.

Enjoy the wait, and congrats on the car.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

The bigger issue for me is that you if you use up say 75% of the rotor life and want to sell or trade in the car, what do you do? A saavy buyer would want the carbon content of the rotors checked, and would expect close to a $30k discount on the price of the car, or would ask you to replace the rotors at a cost of about $30k. If you're using iron rotors, you just replace them as needed, and not a big deal if you have to replace them to sell the car.
Speaking of this issue of PCCB rotor life, I now have this dilemma with an RS I'm hoping to buy. Fronts are about 20-30% used up, and rears are about 50% used up. I don't know if oxidation of the carbon is linear over time (vs accelerating or decelerating):

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post18871609
Old 06-22-2023, 07:03 PM
deVeil
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by trez63
I am no expert on track braking performance but I wanted to chime in with one quick fact that I've noticed. I only got my GT3 2 weeks ago and have put about 1000 miles on it very quickly. Been using the hell out of the PCCB and they perform wonderfully. But the biggest surprise to me is the utter lack of brake dust. I have the Neodyme wheels and was worried they would get dirty too often. I'm shocked at how long the wheels stay clean with the PCCBs. I know it's a superficial reason, but that alone is enough to make me option them again. I've had ceramic brakes on past cars but got more brake dust than I do with these PCCBs. Very impressed. Also, they're not noisy (yet).
Got mine 2.5 weeks ago and have put almost 800 miles on it and have had a near identical experience.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:31 PM
Dorian C
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 75 Posts

Big fan of PCCB. I track the car about 6-8 times a year. I like how it has no brake dusts for every day and perform wonderfully at the track. Never see rust spot no rotors when cars being photographed i will probably need to replace the rotor in 4-5 years. The car will be long-gone by then. I will probably need to change pads about every other year. The brake runs really cool. So, i have no concerned of burning hot brake dusts eating into the paint of the wheels.

I have tried AP brakes, they are better. greater initial bite, greater feedback, but I am not chasing lap time. It is also incredibly noisy. After all, all the GT3 lap records are done in PCCB. So, I am sure it will serve me well.

If I spend every weekend at the track, I will still spec PCCB because it is cheap to spec at the factory and swap it out to iron or full AP kit.

For 9k, you get a much lighter rotors, a cool speed yellow caliper, cooler brakes, rotor that pretty much last forever, not brake dust, no rust look, less squeaky noise. I really do not see why wouldn't anyone do it.
smiles11 (06-22-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3: PCCB vs Iron Brakes on Track