Sponsored by:

PDK upshift issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 04:25 PM
jvecchi
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PDK upshift issue

I have been experiencing an upshift issue with my 992 GT3. I generally always operate the car in Sport mode and the PDK in manual mode. Occasionally when I upshift from first to second the transmission does not upshift on the first command - I have to give it a second, and sometimes a third, command to get the transmission to shift. The problem is the same whether I use the gear lever or the paddle. It only occurs after the car is warmed up and moving out from a dead stop. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between vehicle speed, RPM, or throttle position, and it only happens occasionally - maybe once or twice on a 100 mile drive. There are no error messages or error lights when this happens. The car has 6k miles.

The car has been looked at by the dealer. They checked and did not find any error codes stored. They are at a bit of a loss to explain or diagnose the problem.

Has anyone out there experienced anything like this? Any thoughts?
Old 06-15-2023, 08:33 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by jvecchi
I have been experiencing an upshift issue with my 992 GT3. I generally always operate the car in Sport mode and the PDK in manual mode. Occasionally when I upshift from first to second the transmission does not upshift on the first command - I have to give it a second, and sometimes a third, command to get the transmission to shift. The problem is the same whether I use the gear lever or the paddle. It only occurs after the car is warmed up and moving out from a dead stop. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between vehicle speed, RPM, or throttle position, and it only happens occasionally - maybe once or twice on a 100 mile drive. There are no error messages or error lights when this happens. The car has 6k miles.

The car has been looked at by the dealer. They checked and did not find any error codes stored. They are at a bit of a loss to explain or diagnose the problem.

Has anyone out there experienced anything like this? Any thoughts?
Sounds like both the PDK and MT transmissions have some defects.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:36 PM
992.Turbo.S
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 95 Posts

There is an entire thread in the 992 Turbo S forum on this ongoing issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...hift-fail.html
Old 06-16-2023, 05:04 PM
JB991
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Weird, mine happens 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th. Sometimes, on a cold start, my reverse won't engage. Dealership chalks it up to being a GT3. No fix action and isn't always easy to duplicate.
This is all street driving, so not sure how it'll go on a track day, and not really excited to go out and try it to see the end result.

This happens on occasion and only when "punching it", so the frequency is not one to gauge to be able to show the tech back at the dealership.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:51 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Sounds like both the PDK and MT transmissions have some defects.
What are the MT defects? Mine has been pretty great so far (1800 miles).
Old 06-16-2023, 10:26 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default PCNA has been unresponsive on this. Please provide examples of fails.

Originally Posted by 992.Turbo.S
There is an entire thread in the 992 Turbo S forum on this ongoing issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...hift-fail.html
There are several of us who have posted on the above thread. I have sent Porsche Customer Service and Porsche Customer Relations numerous quotes from members (without names/handles) who have had similar 1-2 shift failures. I have about 2,500 miles on my Turbo S and I use the paddles about 99.5% of the time. I am seeing missed upshifts in both "Normal" and "Sport" modes. Others report missed 1-2 upshifts only on curves, only when warm/cold, etc. One post (#28 in the above thread) includes a "recipe" that the owner used to increase the likelihood of recreating a missed shift with his service advisor. On this thread, you will see various service managers' reported explanations for the 1-2 fail, and these typically receive a very poor reception on the thread.

There are 169 posts on the above thread indicating that the problem is real. Not only am I trying not to over-rev the engine when cold, but also it is embarrassing when the person in a 20-year-old beater next to me thinks that I'm drag racing. About a year ago, I was surprised that a 992 GT3 owner posted that about a missed 7-speed PDK 1-2 shift. I had been thinking that in changing the 7-speed PDK to the 8-speed used in non-GT3 cars that I and others have, Porsche might have run into problems mechanically or with software programming. Or maybe they made some emissions-related modifications that are causing the issue. I never had an issue with a 1-2 shift in manual mode on my 991.2 GT3.

Early next week, I plan to reach out to Porsche Customer Service again and I will ask to speak with a senior manager. I received one call in response. I asked if this representative had spoken with technical staff in Atlanta or, if necessary, Germany. He said he did and that a service bulletin had been published. My service advisor has not seen it, and when I wrote back to the rep and asked for the bulletin number, I never received a response.

My last email to Porsche was on June 12, and I will follow-up early next week with a phone call. I wonder if Porsche is aware of the root cause of the issue (design, software, emissions commitment) and knows that implementing a fix would be very costly.

For anyone reading this thread and having 1-2 shift issues with the GT3 7-speed PDK, please share details about your experience and I will add that anonymously to my current list of owners' 1-2 shift fails. Thank you and I'll report back on this thread with any updates.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:34 PM
mkfaraj
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peruna
What are the MT defects? Mine has been pretty great so far (1800 miles).

blew my MT at 1200 miles
Old 06-18-2023, 12:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,852 Likes on 5,174 Posts

Originally Posted by mkfaraj
blew my MT at 1200 miles
Tell us more.
Old 06-18-2023, 02:05 AM
sparetireless
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Same https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...pdk-issue.html
Old 06-18-2023, 11:17 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Could anyone guide me on extracting the raw log data for errors from a 992?

I'm concerned that there's a possibility the tools intended for scanning for errors have been tampered with to withhold certain outputs. My intention is to start collecting raw log data before my next service visit. Typically, when my car experiences issues, the dealer scans it, clears the codes (thus, possibly erasing evidence) and assures me everything is functioning correctly while doing very little else.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2023, 12:32 PM
jvecchi
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for all of the feedback.

I put 144 miles on my GT3 yesterday. I tried a bit of a different procedure for shifting gears. Rather than just giving the paddle a quick flick, I held it in until the shift was complete (which only takes less than a second). I did the same thing when I use the gear lever to shift. I experienced no issues when using this procedure. Has anyone tried this?

Quick Reply: PDK upshift issue