Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carwow YouTube video - PDK or Manual faster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 11:13 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
PDK is very slightly faster on track, but the difference is far smaller than most people think and that Porsche projects through their marketing.

PDK is not faster in some older 987 models though (where the deck hasn’t been stacked in its favor).

I don’t think the technology on its own causes a significantly faster lap time from its faster shift time alone - it does not clearly outweigh its weight penalty and its less efficient transfer of power to the driven wheels.

In the 992 GT3, you have to remember the PDK has more favorable gearing and an active LSD.
Totally agree!

Old 01-04-2023, 11:44 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,035 Posts

While entertaining, I’m not sure I’d read much into 2 guys racing, neither of whom know how to drive the car they are in.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:45 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
While entertaining, I’m not sure I’d read much into 2 guys racing, neither of whom know how to drive the car they are in.

Tbh, this actually makes it more realistic to me...
Old 01-05-2023, 03:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Tbh, this actually makes it more realistic to me...
Yes, but the part of the video where both cars are rolling and in gear (while the Manual gains ground) relies very little on the drivers (just keep gas pedal down and steer straight).
Old 01-06-2023, 07:46 PM
xkpgx

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, but the part of the video where both cars are rolling and in gear (while the Manual gains ground) relies very little on the drivers (just keep gas pedal down and steer straight).
The only issue is I notice with Carwow's drag races are that they do not start in the gear that would be best for rolling acceleration. I think he could have started a gear lower in the PDK, around 7K RPM's and quickly upshifted at 9K which would have put the next gear in the sweet spot of the RPM band. The manual just happened to be in it's ideal gear when they hit it.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Originally Posted by xkpgx
The only issue is I notice with Carwow's drag races are that they do not start in the gear that would be best for rolling acceleration. I think he could have started a gear lower in the PDK, around 7K RPM's and quickly upshifted at 9K which would have put the next gear in the sweet spot of the RPM band. The manual just happened to be in it's ideal gear when they hit it.
Well, I’d argue that would be unfair to start in a lower gear in one car. Better to start at a speed where both cars are optimally in the same gear. Like from 50mph where both cars would be optimally in 2nd gear (advantage would still go to pdk, since its revs would be a bit higher and closer to peak output).

Last edited by GrantG; 01-06-2023 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:09 PM
xkpgx

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I’d argue that would be unfair to start in a lower gear in one car. Better to start at a speed where both cars are optimally in the same gear. Like from 50mph where both cars would be optimally in 2nd gear (advantage would still go to pdk, since its revs would be a bit higher and closer to peak output).
That is kind of what I am saying, I have seen some of their videos where one car is in a lower gear/high RPMs and the other in a higher gear and thought it was unfair. They don't communicate that to each other when lining up for a roll. I think that might have been the case with this PDK vs Manual video.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:07 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

Both are slower than a turbo s or a taycan lol. Dont get me wrong. I love me my gt3s (got both a manual and pdk 992 touring in 2022). The pdk is measurably 1/2 sec+ faster on a roll i did tons of dragy pulls. But at the end of the day this video demonstrates driver skill more than anything for these 2 relatively close performing cars. Also the gt3 isnt about straight line speed its about that sweet sweet flat 6 and ripping corners. Cheers
ps this video was very entertaining to watch for me
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Carwow YouTube video - PDK or Manual faster?