Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you compare the 992 GT3 RS and the Huracan STO / TECHNICA ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 11:35 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
Interesting. The STO was my first V10 Lambo and has become my go-to car for most weekend drives because I love how raw, loud and exotic it feels. The heavily raked windshield, howling V10 (no GPFs) and CCM-R brakes (same tech as the Senna's) contribute to a very special experience.
I didn't mean to sound negative about the car, in fact from all the feedback I've gotten from owners (and now including yours) it sounds like a car that would very much appeal to me ... so much so that it's on my radar as a potential purchase, and that's saying something for me because I've never been attracted to Lamborghini as a brand and it is the first one that's making me consider it.

It was more to share the feedback I've gotten ... 'raw' is a highly subjective quality to describe, I just wanted to make sure that people who are considering the STO actually go drive it and don't assume for example that GT3RS raw is the same as STO raw, because from the anecdotal reports I have gotten it has ended up being a little to raw for many people who ordered it. I don't think I'm breaking news here, I'm sure you've heard similar feedback no?
Old 10-18-2022, 11:53 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 702 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
I didn't mean to sound negative about the car, in fact from all the feedback I've gotten from owners (and now including yours) it sounds like a car that would very much appeal to me ... so much so that it's on my radar as a potential purchase, and that's saying something for me because I've never been attracted to Lamborghini as a brand and it is the first one that's making me consider it.

It was more to share the feedback I've gotten ... 'raw' is a highly subjective quality to describe, I just wanted to make sure that people who are considering the STO actually go drive it and don't assume for example that GT3RS raw is the same as STO raw, because from the anecdotal reports I have gotten it has ended up being a little to raw for many people who ordered it. I don't think I'm breaking news here, I'm sure you've heard similar feedback no?
The other STO owners I know also love theirs but I get that some may not like the extroverted and hardcore nature of the car. Ride stiffness is about what I expected it to be and not so different than a GT BS or GT2 RS, at least according to my *** dyno. I've given a few rides to friends (Porsche owners) and all were impressed by the overall experience and some wondered if they could still order one.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:57 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

The other STO owners I know also love theirs but I get that some may not like the extroverted and hardcore nature of the car. Ride stiffness is about what I expected it to be and not so different than a GT BS or GT2 RS, at least according to my *** dyno. I've given a few rides to friends (Porsche owners) and all were impressed by the overall experience and some wondered if they could still order one.
Sounds promising and it makes me look forward to the Tecnica even more. There has been some talk that Lamborghini overestimated the number of cars they would be able to deliver, so I'm in a holding pattern at this point. Luckily my SA is a personal friend so he's keeping me up to date on things.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:14 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

The other STO owners I know also love theirs but I get that some may not like the extroverted and hardcore nature of the car. Ride stiffness is about what I expected it to be and not so different than a GT BS or GT2 RS, at least according to my *** dyno. I've given a few rides to friends (Porsche owners) and all were impre
ssed by the overall experience and some wondered if they could still order one.

I had an STO...the issue with it to be honest is that it lacks adjustability in its systems, and with a suspension as stiff (not that its sprung THAT stiffly, but the shocks absolutely are punishing in Trofeo) as it is, it NEEDS a bumpy road button so to speak. In its STO mode (standard mode), the cylinder deactivation is noticeable when cruising, the car is very quiet (even with valves opened) and the trans is actually a little more relaxed than you'd imagine when just putting around, even in manual. So naturally you go to Trofeo which takes away the ability to cruise without shifting (every Huracan before this has had a sport mode thats basically goldilocks mode for street driving) and that kind of spoils you. Then there's the lack of sight out of the rear of the car which is pretty annoying given the scoop isnt functional etc etc. IF you could drive the car in Trofeo with the shocks set on soft and keeping an auto mode...the car would have been a total keeper for me. Instead, Im trading it in for a performante as that car becomes far more usable, still has most of the racy features that follow the cars today and overall is a killer road car variant vs the STO. The technica should be great overall balance wise, I just hope they've made it pliable enough in its middle mode to take those STO criticisms away, but I bet they have. Id have ordered one in hindsight but they are LONG sold out... but in my case Ill be doing the perf so it works anyways. Oh, FWIW, the STO when you're on a smooth road and able to give it full beans...it's religious, and elevates the supercar experience factor by 5 over most of its competitors in sensation and noise, and the brakes and turn in are WORLD class on that car, Ill miss both going to the performante.
The following 2 users liked this post by sechsgang:
911Vintage (10-19-2022), AlexCeres (10-19-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 01:19 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Oh, FWIW, the STO when you're on a smooth road and able to give it full beans...it's religious, and elevates the supercar experience factor by 5 over most of its competitors in sensation and noise, and the brakes and turn in are WORLD class on that car, Ill miss both going to the performante.
Oh yes. It's incredible. The one and only time I drove an STO was on a race track lol. So you can imagine how jazzed I am about it. I drove it back-to-back with 991.2 GT3RS, GT2RS, 992 GT3, and 488 Pista. STO is absolutely a religious experience. I can't bring myself to drive a Lambo around the SF Bay Area though. So I'm keeping the GT3RS. But the STO takes everything amazing about the GT3RS and multiplies it by 200.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-18-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:22 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

I had an STO...the issue with it to be honest is that it lacks adjustability in its systems, and with a suspension as stiff (not that its sprung THAT stiffly, but the shocks absolutely are punishing in Trofeo) as it is, it NEEDS a bumpy road button so to speak. In its STO mode (standard mode), the cylinder deactivation is noticeable when cruising, the car is very quiet (even with valves opened) and the trans is actually a little more relaxed than you'd imagine when just putting around, even in manual. So naturally you go to Trofeo which takes away the ability to cruise without shifting (every Huracan before this has had a sport mode thats basically goldilocks mode for street driving) and that kind of spoils you. Then there's the lack of sight out of the rear of the car which is pretty annoying given the scoop isnt functional etc etc. IF you could drive the car in Trofeo with the shocks set on soft and keeping an auto mode...the car would have been a total keeper for me. Instead, Im trading it in for a performante as that car becomes far more usable, still has most of the racy features that follow the cars today and overall is a killer road car variant vs the STO. The technica should be great overall balance wise, I just hope they've made it pliable enough in its middle mode to take those STO criticisms away, but I bet they have. Id have ordered one in hindsight but they are LONG sold out... but in my case Ill be doing the perf so it works anyways. Oh, FWIW, the STO when you're on a smooth road and able to give it full beans...it's religious, and elevates the supercar experience factor by 5 over most of its competitors in sensation and noise, and the brakes and turn in are WORLD class on that car, Ill miss both going to the performante.
Does all that compromise on the street at least result in exceptional on track performance?

That was one of the other criticisms I heard about the car, that it is a handful to get the most out of it.

It wouldn't be a thing for me in my consideration of it as I don't track street cars, but it would be a shame if the tradeoff was made and the payoff wasn't there on the track end of it. The GT BS drove like a full on race car on the street, but the track performance was there to justify it kind of thing.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:31 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by soulsea
That was one of the other criticisms I heard about the car, that it is a handful to get the most out of it..
I jumped in the STO for the first time and after 3 laps, put down faster times than the GT2RS by 2 seconds. I'm not saying the GT2RS is slower, but I was able to drive the STO faster. It seemed pretty intuitive and quite similar to the GT3RS in many ways—just more of everything.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-18-2022 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:32 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I jumped in the STO for the first time and after 3 laps, put down faster times than the GT2RS by 2 seconds. I'm not saying the GT2RS is slower, but I was able to drive the STO faster.
That's good to know ... thanks.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:12 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 702 Likes on 331 Posts

I've never driven a Performante but apparently it sounds better than the STO. Between that and it's friendlier road manners, I can understand why it would be a better fit for some with the trade offs being the STO's brakes and lightness/RWD. Styling is subjective, but seeing the STO's rear fender 'horns' in the side mirrors is pretty cool - and you see them often because the rear (no)view mirror is useless. Aesthetically speaking, I'm not a huge fan of the roof scoop although it's functional the same way the 765LT's is. It basically forces extra air into the engine compartment to assist cooling during extended tracking.

BTW, we chatted in person at the Quail in front of the Urus Performante about the new 3RS. We also met last year at the Carmel Valley Ranch. Think tall dude from Canada.

Last edited by Scrappy1972; 10-18-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:13 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Damn it, I knew he was cheating on me.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:44 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I can't bring myself to drive a Lambo around the SF Bay Area though.
Why not? I think the reason we don't have many up here is due to the lack of a local dealer. Same issue for Mclaren and Aston Martin
Old 10-18-2022, 03:11 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by tqevo
Why not? I think the reason we don't have many up here is due to the lack of a local dealer. Same issue for Mclaren and Aston Martin
The roads here are fun to drive, but in a visually striking car like an STO you're asking for trouble. Vandalism, other drivers on the road who don't give a crap and will hit you out of jealousy or idiocy, etc. My GT3RS is pretty subdued and I don't really get noticed by people. But... it's a constant battle while driving out of the city or down the peninsula. Other drivers on the road are absolutely crazy. Nobody has insurance. And other drivers will hit you and run because police don't care and will not pursue. I've seen it all.

An STO on these roads is going to be stressful. Whereas a GT3RS just looks like another Porsche.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:00 AM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
The thing that scares me about Mclaren is the perceived heavy depreciation and poor reliability.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,574 Likes on 5,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
The thing that scares me about Mclaren is the perceived heavy depreciation and poor reliability.
That's the key right there.

It's perceived.

And, as they say, looks can be deceiving.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:09 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Order book is closed for the 720. No more allocations to be had. AFAIK the last cars will be delivered Q1 2023.

Quick Reply: how do you compare the 992 GT3 RS and the Huracan STO / TECHNICA ?