Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you compare the 992 GT3 RS and the Huracan STO / TECHNICA ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 03:21 PM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 91 Posts
Question how do you compare the 992 GT3 RS and the Huracan STO / TECHNICA ?

First time, I don't buy the new RS because I was expected a 4.2 L and may be a less complicated car with too much setups on the steering wheel.
Even if, something could be worst in life, I'm bit disapointed. I'm looking for a subsitute.
Ok, I know the advertising, "there is no substitute", but I think the Huracan STO or TECHNICA could be.
I'm not looking for the quickest car on the track, but the more emotional with a NA engine. on the Paper, the STO makes the job but I'm afraid with the reliability with a track focus, 6/7 times per year, almost 2 000 kms.
What do you think about it ?
The following 2 users liked this post by rickman_fr:
heshalosny (10-16-2022), JCP.CA (06-30-2024)
Old 10-16-2022, 07:08 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

I think on paper they’re comparable but the reality may be much different. Can’t answer the question since I have no seat time in the Tecnica. Here are a few GT3/STO comparison videos.

FWIW, I have a GT3 Touring on the way and a Tecnica on order.

The following users liked this post:
JCP.CA (06-30-2024)
Old 10-16-2022, 11:40 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Yea this was something I was contemplating, The problem is the STO is now 400-500K and the Technica is sold out and when the limited number hit our shores the price will def increase. I love the Huracan platform, the V10 is sublime but the handling in anything but the STO and Technica is very very limited compared to the Porsche Gt cars. Having driven the STO in anger I can say it is very very competent and the engine just adds so much to the experience. I'm sure the numbers will be better in the RS but the experience in the STO is still amazing. The exotic companies that use these cars on track would be the place to really compare. Dream Racing and Exotic racing in Las vegas have been really testing these cars and from what I was told at EXR the STO has been very reliable in comparison to other exotic cars. Is it as good as the Porsches? Probably not but still much better than others and very few cars can compare to the reliability of Porsche. I'm hearing that the Huracan is going Hybrid so these will be the last pure V10s and the STO and Technica are in my book the only ones to buy. The only ones to really work out the understeer of the other Huracan models. The technica is supposed to be very close to the STO without the aero and one piece carbon front end, god knows how mnuch that would cost to replace. I tried to get a Technica allocation but Lambo stopped taking orders of any huracans after about 3-4 months from announcement.
The following 2 users liked this post by race7117:
G.Irish (10-17-2022), Scrappy1972 (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 01:57 PM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 91 Posts

Thank you all ! Sorry to read that the TECHNICA would be already sold out !!!
Old 10-17-2022, 04:44 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rickman_fr
Thank you all ! Sorry to read that the TECHNICA would be already sold out !!!
Yes limited production slots for limited cars, I found out about the Technica and then drove the STO and then immediately found out that Lambo had capped production due to supply chain issues and the shift to Hybrid and new platforms. Much more focused on Urus production and making as many of those as they can. Super disappointed but if I can get a RS then I can't complain!
Old 10-17-2022, 04:46 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
Yes limited production slots for limited cars, I found out about the Technica and then drove the STO and then immediately found out that Lambo had capped production due to supply chain issues and the shift to Hybrid and new platforms. Much more focused on Urus production and making as many of those as they can. Super disappointed but if I can get a RS then I can't complain!
I may run into a dilemma when my Tecnica arrives. My intitial plan was to keep both, but with the changing economy I'm not sure that's the best idea. I'm still at least a year away from my Tecnica delivery so at least I can get to know the Touring before I make a decision.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:41 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I may run into a dilemma when my Tecnica arrives. My intitial plan was to keep both, but with the changing economy I'm not sure that's the best idea. I'm still at least a year away from my Tecnica delivery so at least I can get to know the Touring before I make a decision.
If the Technica is as reported and has the steering and handling feel of the STO, Then I'm afraid the V10 will take the cake. Looks like Lambo is going completely off this platform and this along with the Sterrato Rally spec Huracan will be the swan song and only appreciate as they go Hybrid. I for one would take it at MSRP and track the hell out of it. The touring is a great car and one that really hits me, love the clean lines, but track driving is my hobby and flogging that V10 is just heaven. If an RS allocation comes through its all good but I still will envy the V10 in all its glory. Reminds me of going to the Canadian grand prix 2004 and hearing the F1 V10s ,absolute pinnacle. The Huracan certainly isn't F1 but its as close as we mere mortals can come to in todays electrified world
The following 2 users liked this post by race7117:
heshalosny (10-18-2022), Scrappy1972 (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 08:09 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi,

I can’t get a GT allocation (GT3, GT3 RS, GT4 RS, not even a base GT4).

Can someone advise me which of these five cars I should pursue in which order?

992 911 Turbo S
992 911 Dakar
Ferrari 296 GTB
Lamborghini Huracan Sterrato
Mclaren 720s

I believe the 992 Turbo S will be the most attainable.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2022, 09:00 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

STO is the most exciting car I've ever driven. And this is coming from a GT3RS owner.
The following users liked this post:
Scrappy1972 (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 12:36 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

First time, I don't buy the new RS because I was expected a 4.2 L and may be a less complicated car with too much setups on the steering wheel.
Even if, something could be worst in life, I'm bit disapointed. I'm looking for a subsitute.
Ok, I know the advertising, "there is no substitute", but I think the Huracan STO or TECHNICA could be.
I'm not looking for the quickest car on the track, but the more emotional with a NA engine. on the Paper, the STO makes the job but I'm afraid with the reliability with a track focus, 6/7 times per year, almost 2 000 kms.
recommend that you drive both. I obviously haven’t driven the 992 RS, but have owned a few of them in years past and can promise they are very very different animals to the STO (no one has driven technica either, but it will be a huracan like all the rest.)
personally, I find Porsche immensely more engaging and intense.
but there’s a butt for every seat, as they say. Drive it yourself and decide. You won’t get any actionable guidance here on RL.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:36 AM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
Hi,

I can’t get a GT allocation (GT3, GT3 RS, GT4 RS, not even a base GT4).

Can someone advise me which of these five cars I should pursue in which order?

992 911 Turbo S
992 911 Dakar
Ferrari 296 GTB
Lamborghini Huracan Sterrato
Mclaren 720s

I believe the 992 Turbo S will be the most attainable.

Thanks
go straight to the 720
The following 2 users liked this post by User 81423:
AlexCeres (06-27-2024), heshalosny (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 07:45 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

its hard to say without driving them all. But for the street i would take a technica if u can get a build slot. I believe they are no longer taking orders for the sto. Lambo upped their game on these and the sto felt wild on the street, just an awesome car. If u track the 3rs is prob better but then again its cheaper to buy a cup car
Old 10-18-2022, 09:34 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

First of all, there is a substitute. Don't ever forget it.
Hard to not find emotion in the V-10 and this brand.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:42 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 535 Posts

I always hesitate to take others' opinion about cars as their sensibilities are not my own ... I also should note that I have never owned or driven a Lamborghini of any kind, the closest to one I ever got was my 2012 R8 V10 manual Spyder.

But I will say many of my friends who ordered STOs were not happy with the final result when they got the car. Apparently the setup makes for a super harsh on road experience, so much so for it to be enjoyable even for people who like their cars on the raw side. It made sense on paper when Lambo was conceiving of it but the final product was not something many customers wanted to live with. A lot of STO customers really disliked the car and turned around and sold theirs pretty quickly, and this isn't the usual crowd that does that, this included many people that were buying it as their forever Huracán. Evidently the Tecnica resolves this and is by all accounts going to be the best rendition of the Huracan ... raw, engaging but drivable on public roads and on track.

Again I have not driven an STO, but it appears to be an acquired taste for a very specific type of owner who will lean into and love its ethos ... I only note all this to say that it definitely is a car one should drive for a bit before purchasing to make sure it is for them.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:20 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 715 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
I always hesitate to take others' opinion about cars as their sensibilities are not my own ... I also should note that I have never owned or driven a Lamborghini of any kind, the closest to one I ever got was my 2012 R8 V10 manual Spyder.

But I will say many of my friends who ordered STOs were not happy with the final result when they got the car. Apparently the setup makes for a super harsh on road experience, so much so for it to be enjoyable even for people who like their cars on the raw side. It made sense on paper when Lambo was conceiving of it but the final product was not something many customers wanted to live with. A lot of STO customers really disliked the car and turned around and sold theirs pretty quickly, and this isn't the usual crowd that does that, this included many people that were buying it as their forever Huracán. Evidently the Tecnica resolves this and is by all accounts going to be the best rendition of the Huracan ... raw, engaging but drivable on public roads and on track.

Again I have not driven an STO, but it appears to be an acquired taste for a very specific type of owner who will lean into and love its ethos ... I only note all this to say that it definitely is a car one should drive for a bit before purchasing to make sure it is for them.
Interesting. The STO was my first V10 Lambo and has become my go-to car for most weekend drives because I love how raw, loud and exotic it feels. The heavily raked windshield, howling V10 (no GPFs) and CCM-R brakes (same tech as the Senna's) contribute to a very special experience.

Quick Reply: how do you compare the 992 GT3 RS and the Huracan STO / TECHNICA ?