Sponsored by:

Johannes Van Overbeek - GT3T Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 06:04 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Why have we been promised a C8 Z06 Nürburgring lap time for over a year (and most recently teased 8 months ago) and still no lap?

Surely with 160 hp more and 115 ft-lbs more torque than the GT3 and RS and MRC suspension with Mid-Engine chassis and huge sticky tires, it should be much faster??

So far, 7:12.64 (no mention if short or long version of the lap, but ~13 seconds slower than GT3 even if long lap):

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/09...ime-video/amp/

https://youtu.be/0vQTCt0d36I
Only a few hundred cars being produced this year; everything else pushed to calendar year 2023. Lots of pissed off potential owners on corvetteforum.com saying they are giving up on the car and wondering if there’s something intrinsically wrong with the drivetrain as the reason for the current delay. Oh; and the BS ADM/flipper games of course.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Only a few hundred cars being produced this year; everything else pushed to calendar year 2023. Lots of pissed off potential owners on corvetteforum.com saying they are giving up on the car and wondering if there’s something intrinsically wrong with the drivetrain as the reason for the current delay. Oh; and the BS ADM/flipper games of course.
Was certainly unsettling when they transferred all the engineers from the Z06 team to the EV segment, long before the car’s release…
Old 09-11-2022, 06:13 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I might get flamed for this but....

IMO, I think Porsche is losing its edge in the suspension/damping game. Similar to how at one time BMW was the Ultimate Driving Machine, it has not been so for a long time now, yet people still buy into the marketing of it.

I said it earlier, but it is worth repeating, MRC (Magnetic Ride Control) is where it is at technology wise. It allows you to have your cake and eat it too. Similar to BMW, Porsche sets up their cars for smooth roads only and that is where they shine and feel amazing. HOWEVER when the roads turn to crap and the suspension gets a good workout, THIS is where great damping tuning shows. BMW has not had it for a long time now and Porsche is trending in the wrong direction.

I was severely disappointed with my stock 718 GT4 PASM damping.
Porsche's Bilstein dampers are pretty much fitted to all their cars from Cayman, Boxsters, Cayennes etc and have different maps for different cars depending on priorities. These dampers are no longer good enough for their high end GT cars as I've around race circuits in the same 991.2RS WP as mine but fitted with MR KW 3/4 ways. The improvements are truly transformative and really highlights the PASM's limitations.
I hope they've fitted different dampers to the new RS otherwise it won't be as good as it could or should be.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:27 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 602 Posts

the 992 is like the iPhone 40. Its ridiculous to suggest Porsche is going to get it right with the iPhone 41Pro
Old 09-12-2022, 07:30 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

I might get flamed for this but....

IMO, I think Porsche is losing its edge in the suspension/damping game. Similar to how at one time BMW was the Ultimate Driving Machine, it has not been so for a long time now, yet people still buy into the marketing of it.

I said it earlier, but it is worth repeating, MRC (Magnetic Ride Control) is where it is at technology wise. It allows you to have your cake and eat it too. Similar to BMW, Porsche sets up their cars for smooth roads only and that is where they shine and feel amazing. HOWEVER when the roads turn to crap and the suspension gets a good workout, THIS is where great damping tuning shows. BMW has not had it for a long time now and Porsche is trending in the wrong direction.

I was severely disappointed with my stock 718 GT4 PASM damping.
I hear where you you're coming from - but you're off beam.

Porsche GT cars are designed to be genuinely track capable - the consequence of this is they must be stable and handle bumps and minor perturbations up to around 280-290kmh e.g. Dottinger Hohe. A minor bump at 110kmh may be a major problem at 250 kmh. Thus damping and spring rates are designed to be safe at these high speeds, superimposed on this is control on piston travel length - if you hit the bump stops/bottom out at 240kmh you may be thrown off the track.

The reality as speeds increase, downforce increases and as a result spring rates must go up to balance downforce and impact force transmitted through surface imperfections. The result is you end up with suspension that is designed to limit travel 90% of the time over a piston length of ~ 2 inches at well above road legal speeds. The knock on effect is at road legal speeds piston movement is small and changes to damping within the spring rate calibration has less room for manoeuvre. In other words the car "jiggles" - this is not a problem with PASM its a problem with the design envelope of the car.

In other words, if you put your foot down and drive at speeds more towards the cars track envelope you will find the damping is fine.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-12-2022 at 07:35 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by groundhog:
Diablo Dude (09-12-2022), Freddie Two Bs (09-12-2022), GrantG (09-12-2022), GT3Laguna (09-12-2022), Mercuriell (09-12-2022), rost12 (09-12-2022), ShakeNBake (09-12-2022), Taffy66 (09-12-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-12-2022, 08:30 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 756 Posts

My car has Corsa tires. About 2000 km on the clock now.

The tires are quiet when compared to Cup 2. Read up on them after I took delivery to see what I was in for, they actually have noise cancelling tech in the tire. Jet engine spooling...could not disagree more.

@RUF RS Has a point. Expectations versus reality. Touring name might set somebody up with different expectations but it's a GT3 same as the wing car.
The following 2 users liked this post by SToronto:
Diablo Dude (09-12-2022), RUF RS (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 01:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod27
Laughable that he wouldn’t consider tire pressures
Agreed
Old 09-12-2022, 01:48 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 929 Posts

I fully agree with the comments about downforce and suspension travel and spring rates having to compensate for that. What I dont understand is why touring has to make the same compromises? Touring does not have the same amount of downforce and as such should get suitable springs and suspension tuning for its needs. If that happened, most people would be happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
Diablo Dude (09-12-2022), Taffy66 (09-12-2022)
Old 08-02-2023, 06:23 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 109 Posts

BMW and Porsche REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to give up on their in house outdated shock technology and move to the superior Magnaride dampers that most high end MFG. (and low end for that matter, ie Mustang) are moving too.

There is just no equal for a do it all damping system.
I owned a GT350 with magride. I think it's ok for what it is...the difference between comfort and sport is very large and noticeable. Even the realtime adapting is noticeable, but it also feels artificial and slightly disconnected. I think Porsche does damping so well, i wouldn't change it to magride. BMW on the otherhand...their sh*t sucks, dump it and go magride all the way haha
Old 08-03-2023, 04:01 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by momo360
I owned a GT350 with magride. I think it's ok for what it is...the difference between comfort and sport is very large and noticeable. Even the realtime adapting is noticeable, but it also feels artificial and slightly disconnected. I think Porsche does damping so well, i wouldn't change it to magride. BMW on the otherhand...their sh*t sucks, dump it and go magride all the way haha

The thing you have to remember about Magnaride is that the technology and hardware are the same across manufactures, but it's the software tuning that determines how well it works. I have had it in an Audi TTRS and Camaro SS 1LE and both Audi and GM does the tuning very well. I can't comment on Ford as I have never driven one with it.

It is definitely different feeling than a passive damper, but that doesn't make it artificial. It just does things that a traditional damper can't do, like give you 100% damping lock up and stop a rebound movement in its tracks, then relax it .0001 seconds later. It operates at like 1000 times a second or something crazy like that. The newest version of Magnaride, which is only used on the C8 and Caddy performance lines, also now use actual data from sensors rather than prediction software to make adjustments.

Porsche damping is definitely better than BMW (hell Honda and Toyota do damping better than BMW these days), but Porsche isn't perfect either. Both the GT3 and GT4 cars suffer from a pogo stick effect on the front axle, and at least on the GT4, they underdamped the rebound in both modes.
Old 08-03-2023, 04:57 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Both the GT3 and GT4 cars suffer from a pogo stick effect on the front axle.
That effect is gone with the double wishbone on the 992 GT3.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:06 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod27
Laughable that he wouldn’t consider tire pressures
how do you know this is the case??
Old 08-03-2023, 05:46 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucketlistx911
Just returned from one of my Sunday morning country road drives. It is a quiet agricultural area, lo to no traffic, lot of curves and shape. I was in sport mode and driving at the “fun” speed. Great fun indeed, however there is a section of road that is very irregular, pavement good but it is lumpy and bumpy. So I transition from ideal road to this section and he car starts jumping and pitching. I am using the full road and cheating in the middle. I had to back off or risk a lurch to the shoulder and trouble. Yes the suspension is very hard sprung. My 991.1 GT3 was more compliant and would better absorb the type of road irregularity. Sure I was going at a frisky speed but it got ready to bounce right off the pavement and I was working the wheel more white knuckle than track driving. I make no complaint as I like the suspension set up and especially the front end steering action. I know the limit and back off when the over sprung condition is trouble. So I understand what the Brit journalist are saying as my country road is in the same nature. So let’s say you could go 90+ but you better hold it to 65-70 or have a hop into the bushes.
Had the exact same experience driving mine through the canyons around SoCal. It’s down right scary driving at speed. The car would jump and at times feels like the rear might get airborne. It’s white knuckle scary. For road driving like this, I agree. It’s under damped and over sprung. Epic on a relatively smooth track though. Feels like I can drive my M2 CS much faster because of the suspension. At least on varied canyon roads.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:47 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Porsche damping is definitely better than BMW (hell Honda and Toyota do damping better than BMW these days), but Porsche isn't perfect either. Both the GT3 and GT4 cars suffer from a pogo stick effect on the front axle, and at least on the GT4, they underdamped the rebound in both modes.
My personal feeling with all versions of the GT4 (that I've owned or driven on track and street, except the 4RS which I have not driven yet) is that the entire chassis felt over sprung and under damped. It's one of the reasons I sold my 981 gt4, I really didn't like the chassis feel or compliance. I don't feel this way about the 991/992 gt/rs cars. The damping is much better with those, the 992 being very good. And miles better than in my long-term 997RS with the stock dampers - though it's had onlins ttx on it for so long I've not forgotten how bad it was.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spyerx:
AlexCeres (08-07-2023), Diablo Dude (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 06:16 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 109 Posts

I had a GT3 and can relate, my hands would sweat from death gripping over bumpy backroads. I currently have a GTS 4.0 with SPASM, and it's perfect for backroads, soaks bumps, no tramlining, i prefer it greatly over the magride in my GT350 (which wasn't bad), but SPASM is really quite perfect. But I understand your point, i haven't ridden in a Ferrari with magride, so I can't say how SPASM would compare with that.

Quick Reply: Johannes Van Overbeek - GT3T Driving Impressions