Sponsored by:

Towed off track yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 10:17 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Asking specifically about Porsche-not other brands.
yes at least couple times with porsche. regular 911 or boxster and a gt3 from around 2010 or so. dont remember details though
Old 07-15-2022, 10:41 AM
Doublej
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
If you read the booklet, you’d know there are a list of exclusions to the warranty for track use including any failure to properly maintain the car according to the accelerated maintenance schedule. If you run the oil down, PCNA is not reimbursing your stupid. You really don’t want your dealer to think you were doing something dumb.
This is common sense to me and I think is standard practice (even without reading it in the booklet) for anyone tracking their car. I had done and oil level check prior to starting the day (as I would every track day) so I was sure to mention that point to the dealer when discussing the failure so they knew I at least was consciously aware of those things in my control (ie oil level).
The following users liked this post:
raymort (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 11:06 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublej
This is common sense to me and I think is standard practice (even without reading it in the booklet) for anyone tracking their car. I had done and oil level check prior to starting the day (as I would every track day) so I was sure to mention that point to the dealer when discussing the failure so they knew I at least was consciously aware of those things in my control (ie oil level).
Yeah, on or off track, if you don’t take care of your fluids, that can be a user abuse.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,153 Likes on 5,284 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublej
Originally Posted by raymort
Yeah, on or off track, if you don’t take care of your fluids, that can be a user abuse.
Yeah but as they say, common sense is unfortunately not do common.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:25 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 176 Posts

What car did they give you as a loaner during this period of repair?
Old 07-16-2022, 11:31 PM
Doublej
Racer

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
What car did they give you as a loaner during this period of repair?
No car. I didn’t ask for one either since I have a dd anyway. Car was not in my home city, it was after hours. I was home before the car was dropped off.

JJ
96redLT4 (07-17-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 02:00 AM
joerg65
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

Porsche service response on these issues is normally off the scale (positive) when compared to other brands. The 991.1 engine replacement warranty is unlike anything that I can remember from another car manufacturer and a warranty that extends to track use really illustrates their confidence in their machines.

With changes of suppliers that Porsche have been forced to use, I have heard of multiple minor electrical, cosmetic and even weak glass related issues across their vehicle range but I can’t imagine that any engine parts or assembly would be affected.

As others have commented, this kind of thing happens and it’s good that they are sorting it out for you.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:52 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Go over to the GT350 forums. Most engine failures were replaced under warranty no problem, but a few were documented as denied. And the failure on one turned out to be the oil pump pickup coming off while on track. Denied.

The dealer reports findings for warranty claim. If they report what they consider to be abuse, you're in trouble. The same thing happens with jeeps used off road. I have owned all three and luckily have a good rapport with my dealer.

Oh, and the GT350 also comes with a supplemental owners manual and track alignment settings, AND A free trip to driving school.

Sounds like Porsche doesn't play the same games as Ford and Jeep.
Have a link to this? I seem to remember this not being denied due to track use - but something else.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:43 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,079 Likes on 1,773 Posts

I believe it's in this thread. I'd have to look through 96 pages and it's been a while, but I think he was on the track and his engine failed. Warranty was denied because he was on the track. He tore down the engine and began a wild build process, only to find the oil pump pickup came unsealed inside the pan, which of course had nothing to do with being on the track.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...-thread.74367/

Old 08-01-2022, 07:51 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I found the picture I had saved. I think "common" failures (ie, defects) are not common. I think there are several unrelated failures that could be caused by many things, including user error, poor maintenance, bad break-in, etc. And since Ford mostly just replaces and confiscates these engines, we don't know why they failed... yet. But as they start coming off warranty, we'll figure it out and hopefully the repairs will be cheaper than a $30k crate engine. Maybe even learn a few preventive tricks to do. Like I heard about the Z06 Vettes (C6 I think) where they needed new valve guides done and then it's bulletproof. Before then, ticking time bombs.

FWIW, I don't think the sky is falling by any means on any of these cars (Porsche or GT350).

Old 08-02-2022, 08:41 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 286 Posts

I believe it's in this thread. I'd have to look through 96 pages and it's been a while, but I think he was on the track and his engine failed. Warranty was denied because he was on the track. He tore down the engine and began a wild build process, only to find the oil pump pickup came unsealed inside the pan, which of course had nothing to do with being on the track.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...-thread.74367/
Oh yeah - if it's his car, that's definitely an extreme case as it is and has been a gutted race car for some time - and I "think" he had the engine apart before and then suffered a failure at a later time. It seems that the majority of 350s have been covered under warranty with very few instances of anything being denied - and even then, this is initially handled by the dealer which may and may not be GT350 savvy.

I found the picture I had saved. I think "common" failures (ie, defects) are not common. I think there are several unrelated failures that could be caused by many things, including user error, poor maintenance, bad break-in, etc. And since Ford mostly just replaces and confiscates these engines, we don't know why they failed... yet. But as they start coming off warranty, we'll figure it out and hopefully the repairs will be cheaper than a $30k crate engine. Maybe even learn a few preventive tricks to do. Like I heard about the Z06 Vettes (C6 I think) where they needed new valve guides done and then it's bulletproof. Before then, ticking time bombs.

FWIW, I don't think the sky is falling by any means on any of these cars (Porsche or GT350).

I agree that the sky isn't falling. Many times, there is more to the story - I think a grenaded engine with no other real evidence of abuse is exactly what the warranty is meant for.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:40 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff33702
Oh yeah - if it's his car, that's definitely an extreme case as it is and has been a gutted race car for some time - and I "think" he had the engine apart before and then suffered a failure at a later time. It seems that the majority of 350s have been covered under warranty with very few instances of anything being denied - and even then, this is initially handled by the dealer which may and may not be GT350 savvy.

I agree that the sky isn't falling. Many times, there is more to the story - I think a grenaded engine with no other real evidence of abuse is exactly what the warranty is meant for.
ok, good. we're on the same page. And yes, nearly all engine "failures" (most were high oil consumption) were replaced pretty much uneventfully.

Ya know, if you read the long term test from Car and Driver, they loved the car and pointed out it's tendency to consume oil. But even C&D was not good at maintenance because they first noticed they were low on oil and it took... OVER 2 QTS! To me, running a car low on oil (hard) is abuse. I personally check my oil before every weekend ride. So someone who does that will NEVER get 2 qts low which IMO could contribute or even cause an engine to develop problems. Then you add the fact that I, like many others, are very good about gently warming up the car to 170* minimum before ever getting on it. I suspect test vehicles don't enjoy that luxury. Rather, they get the Bo & Luke Duke type of cold start. Again, very much contributes to the engine's demise. I hope many engines live a long, healthy life and that mine is one of them - yours too! lol

Freddie Two Bs (08-03-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 01:54 PM
Doublej
Racer

Since this thread bumped, I'm told some parts have arrived but not the actual engine. Original ETA for that was this week or next so fingers crossed.

JJ
RealityGT (08-02-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:10 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I was forwarded this article this morning and thought it worthwhile to share here. Very frustrating when this stuff happens. Manufacturer markets a car based on it's ability to (race, off road, drift, etc) and then denies warranty claims based on evidence of doing just that, even if the failure is not related to those things. Very bad.

https://www.motor1.com/news/602041/t...BiE0%3D.QWPKxN
thebishman (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 12:11 PM
Doublej
Racer

I was forwarded this article this morning and thought it worthwhile to share here. Very frustrating when this stuff happens. Manufacturer markets a car based on it's ability to (race, off road, drift, etc) and then denies warranty claims based on evidence of doing just that, even if the failure is not related to those things. Very bad.

https://www.motor1.com/news/602041/t...BiE0%3D.QWPKxN
Yeah, I saw this in one of my FB groups. Total BS.

Quick Reply: Towed off track yesterday...