Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Key locked in frunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 09:23 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,037 Posts

This past weekend, I accidentally placed my key in the frunk and shut it. Car was not locked. I simply pulled the frunk release and it opened. Since you have access to your car, I'm not sure why this isn't working.

Must be because your car was locked and you gained access using a locksmith instead of the key.

I recall that getting a another Key fob programmed is difficult and expensive if they don't have access to your car. You just can't go in and get a fob with your vin. Would need to transport car to dealership. New programmed FOB is about $600.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:52 AM
keepupp
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

Try unlocking the car with your code using the MyPorsche app THEN pull the frunk release switch next to the drivers seat
The following users liked this post:
raymort (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 02:11 PM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

this is a very strange thread.. why would an owner need a post by proxy rather than calling the dealer first? they have equipment to handle this in no time.
CarManDSL (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 04:16 PM
haripin
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks to the people who offered to help ... and a big LOL to the Q-anon conspiracy theorists on here who just called this a fishy story.

Anyway . . . to anyone else who runs into this situation, the fix is to drain the battery, and then jump the frunk release under a "battery dead" situation.

Oh, and to the conspirators who posted:

1. i posted this for my buddy because he doesn't use Rennlist . . . thinks there's a bunch of people (but not all) on here who have too much time on their hands and don't actually know what they're talking about. Thanks for proving him right lol
2. We called Porsche. They are programming a new key. This was later on a Saturday. BTW, Porsche suggested to call the locksmith and open the car. The car was blocking his wife's car and we needed to move it.
3. Thanks again to all the people who actually tried to help
Old 04-25-2022, 04:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,083 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by haripin
thanks to the people who offered to help ... and a big LOL to the Q-anon conspiracy theorists on here who just called this a fishy story.

Anyway . . . to anyone else who runs into this situation, the fix is to drain the battery, and then jump the frunk release under a "battery dead" situation.

Oh, and to the conspirators who posted:

1. i posted this for my buddy because he doesn't use Rennlist . . . thinks there's a bunch of people (but not all) on here who have too much time on their hands and don't actually know what they're talking about. Thanks for proving him right lol
2. We called Porsche. They are programming a new key. This was later on a Saturday. BTW, Porsche suggested to call the locksmith and open the car. The car was blocking his wife's car and we needed to move it.
3. Thanks again to all the people who actually tried to help
Interesting that the recommended solution is to drain the battery. I've always been taught that this is harmful to a Lithium battery.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:43 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrantG
Interesting that the recommended solution is to drain the battery. I've always been taught that this is harmful to a Lithium battery.
100% agree. But we literally needed to move the car . . . my buddy's pregnant wife, and a young screaming kid, and her husband's new GT3 is blocking the way. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
GrantG (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 04:45 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by subshooter
This past weekend, I accidentally placed my key in the frunk and shut it. Car was not locked. I simply pulled the frunk release and it opened. Since you have access to your car, I'm not sure why this isn't working.

Must be because your car was locked and you gained access using a locksmith instead of the key.

I recall that getting a another Key fob programmed is difficult and expensive if they don't have access to your car. You just can't go in and get a fob with your vin. Would need to transport car to dealership. New programmed FOB is about $600.
Yup. Not sure why it didn't work but it must be a security feature. Porsche is working on a replacement key for the car . . . out of my hands at this point. I was just trying to be a good friend.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:54 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by keepupp
Try unlocking the car with your code using the MyPorsche app THEN pull the frunk release switch next to the drivers seat
This would have been my tack.
Dealer’s sometimes put your key in the trunk and lock the car for pickup as it can’t be opened unless you have the other key.

Odd turn of events, surely you can understand why some might think it’s not a legit owner.

Glad you got it worked out.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:05 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Also seems odd the Porsche Connect app didn’t unlock the door in an approved way that allowed the frunk switch to work.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:43 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris C.
This would have been my tack.
Dealer’s sometimes put your key in the trunk and lock the car for pickup as it can’t be opened unless you have the other key.

Odd turn of events, surely you can understand why some might think it’s not a legit owner.

Glad you got it worked out.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure why the app didn't work.

I just find it funny that people would think this was illegitimate. Would a thief really be so dumb to post on a public forum? Cops can subpoena Rennlist user records in about 2 seconds and figure out who was posting, from where, etc. Also, how would a thief know the spare was trapped in the frunk? Third, if someone is stealing a car, no less a GT3 which attracts A LOT of attention, I imagine you would want to do it quickly. Asking for help on a forum and waiting for responses doesn't exactly strike me as speedy ... but then again, I don't steal cars for a living ... I just drive them like they're stolen
Old 04-25-2022, 10:26 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 354 Posts

What about that stolen key floating around out there? Does the dealer give both keys a new code?

Quick Reply: HELP! Key locked in frunk