992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$200k over for 992T!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 04:35 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 439 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by mr965
The buyer will likely be a bitcoin bro?
There are 21millions Bitcoin
few thousands GT3

the GT3 is the new Bitcoin
​​​
The following users liked this post:
dbv1 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 12:56 AM
rhk118
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 173 Posts

Went and visited this car today because may be the only opportunity for me to see a 992 Touring in person, so thanks OP for starting this thread. It was parked next to a shark blue winged 992 which was great to see them both together. I am biased but loved the touring 992, even over the winged version. Car looks great, understated athlete in a tux so to speak. Folks at the dealership were very professional, and were OK with me and my 3 kids just coming in to “see one”…other cars they had there were great as well. As for the price, it is what it is. So I will still wait out my place on the list for a ‘23…

Congrats to all of you lucky devils who find yourselves in one of these cars!
brucewinter (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 11:15 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

time to close this thread...

now at 6900 miles on 992gt3
The following 2 users liked this post by richk:
subshooter (04-20-2022), Ukkid74 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 11:10 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Heck even the fried egg 996s have seen an upward trend in prices.
I overheard some tradesmen talking about how their Ram 1500's were appreciating too. When the market corrects 996' will become undesirable again.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:29 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 508 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I overheard some tradesmen talking about how their Ram 1500's were appreciating too. When the market corrects 996' will become undesirable again.
Yep. The interesting thing is how high it will go before the downturn sets in.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:38 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not true.

Whether something - either a car, a house or a tulip - is an appreciating or depreciating asset really depends on the time frame.

From 2007-10, residential real estate was most definitely a depreciating asset. Look at it now.

From about 2010-12, the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 was a depreciating asset. Look at it now.
Yes, it really depends on the span of time you are considering. As a general rule, real estate appreciates over a longer time. Whereas, cars depreciate over a much shorter period of time. There are exceptions such as property in areas where natural or man-made issues have reduced values. The same goes for a few cars that increase value over time, but the overall average of real estate follows an upward trend, while cars are more like appliances, ending up in scrap yards long before the houses where they were parked are razed to the ground.

The spate of sky-high ADMs of late simply attract individuals with very deep pockets where an extra $200K is of little consequence financially, and a bragging right to their friends and egos.

All of this has put a large downward pressure on all Porsches (new and used) where even entry level Porsches are pretty much an imaginary unicorn for regular folks. That sadly closes the door on a lot of new young blood for PCA.

The following 2 users liked this post by Marv:
chance6 (04-23-2022), rhk118 (04-23-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 09:41 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Less desirable, maybe.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:39 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Yes,
The spate of sky-high ADMs of late simply attract individuals with very deep pockets where an extra $200K is of little consequence financially, and a bragging right to their friends and egos.

All of this has put a large downward pressure on all Porsches (new and used) where even entry level Porsches are pretty much an imaginary unicorn for regular folks. That sadly closes the door on a lot of new young blood for PCA.
Amen to this. AND I'm gonna go off here a little bit. I've been holding my tongue for the last week or so. You've got loyal customers that get on a dealer list for a GT3, they are patient and wait, THEN you see these dealers (I have a couple local ones in mind) that get a gift delivery of a GT3, put it on the showroom floor, and mark up the hell out of it and really pay no attention to the customers on the list. They are eroding the business-customer relationship w/ these customers. It would be one thing if profits were suffering, but look at the numbers...they aren't. It's public information! And they are turning around and basically s**tting on these customers. I'm sorry but it's true.

For me it went so far as getting this dialogue, this language multiple times where "we don't charge over MSRP" on GT3s. Then why do you have a f* $130k markup??

What a bunch of horses**t.

How about this: be honest with your loyal customers and treat them by the golden rule. It's a simple fact that these markups are ridiculous...

Last edited by chance6; 04-23-2022 at 10:41 AM.
rhk118 (04-24-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 12:28 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chance6
Amen to this. AND I'm gonna go off here a little bit. I've been holding my tongue for the last week or so. You've got loyal customers that get on a dealer list for a GT3, they are patient and wait, THEN you see these dealers (I have a couple local ones in mind) that get a gift delivery of a GT3, put it on the showroom floor, and mark up the hell out of it and really pay no attention to the customers on the list. They are eroding the business-customer relationship w/ these customers. It would be one thing if profits were suffering, but look at the numbers...they aren't. It's public information! And they are turning around and basically s**tting on these customers. I'm sorry but it's true.

For me it went so far as getting this dialogue, this language multiple times where "we don't charge over MSRP" on GT3s. Then why do you have a f* $130k markup??

How about this: be honest with your loyal customers and treat them by the golden rule. It's a simple fact that these markups are ridiculous...
It's long-term profits versus short-term gains.

Right now many dealers place short-term over the long. We will see how that plays out. I walked from a near deal on a used car because the dealer added a "destination fee" for a car that was originally bought and serviced there. I'll wait this out.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:14 PM
CPS992
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6

For all that to be true, you also have to believe that starting a new relationship with a customer who's willing to stroke a $130k ADM check is a stupid thing to do.

(It's not)
Aorta (04-23-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 04:55 PM
Aorta
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 31 Posts

It is what it is. Do you really believe that Porsche dealers will likely ever have a problem selling GT cars at MSRP? I’m talking...even after all the craziness stops...I believe the distinct answer to that is NO.

So...if your dealer (in your mind) screws you...then 5 years from now calls you and says ‘hey we have a GT3 at MSRP...want it?’ You’re gonna say no? Doubt it. Even if you do...there will be some other owner who’s pissed off at their dealership as well, and will simply come to your dealership to pick up that MSRP GT3 that you passed on. And round and round we go...Short term memory...so most dealers marking these cars up today likely won’t have any ‘real’ repercussions in the future...That will hold true as long as Porsche keeps building great cars. Supply/demand. That’s life...
Old 04-23-2022, 05:39 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Aorta
It is what it is. Do you really believe that Porsche dealers will likely ever have a problem selling GT cars at MSRP? I’m talking...even after all the craziness stops...I believe the distinct answer to that is NO.

So...if your dealer (in your mind) screws you...then 5 years from now calls you and says ‘hey we have a GT3 at MSRP...want it?’ You’re gonna say no? Doubt it. Even if you do...there will be some other owner who’s pissed off at their dealership as well, and will simply come to your dealership to pick up that MSRP GT3 that you passed on. And round and round we go...Short term memory...so most dealers marking these cars up today likely won’t have any ‘real’ repercussions in the future...That will hold true as long as Porsche keeps building great cars. Supply/demand. That’s life...
Full blown Recession might change that a bit. World is opening up. Less money is going to be spent on Lux goods over time like cars/watches/etc and more on swanky vacations like before this whole **** show started.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:28 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Aorta

the wait list at msrp around here is triple digits. At adm, there are easily dozens of guys who would take my place in a heart beat, and since I don’t have an allocation despite large offers, guys who are actively out bidding me.

it is what it is. I think it’s a terrific time to go try some other cars. The situation will correct itself or it won’t, in which case I’ll buy one at auction once we know the full production run numbers and the market rate is the actual clearing rate and not dealer adm bs.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
Aorta (04-24-2022), rhk118 (04-24-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 08:02 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

The ridiculous mark ups have cooled my ardor for the next best or greatest car models. My 991.2GT3RS looks great to me and I'm enjoying it even more. Knowing I paid over $100,000 for a car Porsche says is worth $100,000 less would cause me not to enjoy the car as much. In addition, I was considering a Taycan but my passion for one has diminished greatly. I'll wait on the sidelines and have a good laugh.
The following 5 users liked this post by Nick:
chance6 (04-24-2022), michaeldorian (04-24-2022), rhk118 (04-24-2022), Turbo Racer (04-24-2022), WCGhost (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 12:11 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
It's long-term profits versus short-term gains.

Right now many dealers place short-term over the long. We will see how that plays out. I walked from a near deal on a used car because the dealer added a "destination fee" for a car that was originally bought and serviced there. I'll wait this out.
So they basically tried to screw you over twice w/ the destination fee...isn't that only applied to new cars? As in, shipping costs?

Quick Reply: $200k over for 992T!