992 Touring: "to bucket or not"

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 04:28 PM
Skuhi
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts
Question 992 Touring: "to bucket or not"

Dear fellow members!

Today I got that anticipated call from my dealer and I am having my very first GT3. I decided, quite some time ago, that It should be a Touring. I also got a spec in my mind, but there is this very question I still can't answer...

Should I order a buckets ("LWB", "918 Seats", whatever you prefer) or "standard", reclining seats?

Me: last 2 years I enjoyed a 718 GT4. I love it and it has buckets. I haven't thought about getting them for a GT4 for a second, because its a 2 seater and its winged. I drive it mostly on backroads, spiritedly. I have been also on track for a few times, but my pace was quite calm I would say, compared to what the car can take. I also love to drive everywhere, even in hardcore cars and I do a lot of actual "touring" (Germany, Italy, Switzerland, just circling around Central Europe). For this usage, its not that great.

Questions:

With the buckets - can I actually load (in a cultured and non-destructive manner) the rear huge space Touring got from ditching the seats and roll cage? Do not consider throwing underwear in there piece by piece.

Without the buckets - is there a lot of feel lost in the process?

Thank you very much and I hope this thread can help other undecided as well! I guess its a common question regarding GT3 Touring spec process.

Greeting from Czech Republic! Michael
Old 03-24-2022, 04:40 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Hey Michael,

It’s definitely a personal choice, but for me the essence of any GT car is a nod to the racing heritage preceding it and so buckets are a must. I’d never fault someone for getting 4 or 18 ways though as they are also extremely nice.

If you are concerned about comfort on longer rides, P1Designs sells a memory foam insert that does make things a bit more comfortable.

The following 2 users liked this post by seanhaus:
Skuhi (03-25-2022), smiles11 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 04:40 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

There are lots of good threads on this topic. It will come down to personal preference and how important access to the rear area is to you.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:42 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
There are lots of good threads on this topic. It will come down to personal preference and how important access to the rear area is to you.
LOTS of threads. This question is similar to which paint color should one choose. Completely personal choice.

Given you have experience with the buckets, you should know what you like.

Congrats on your Touring allocation. Very exciting
Old 03-24-2022, 04:48 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

Only way to decide is to sit in them. It will be obvious.

If you buy based on looks and “heritage” you are in a pickle if you hate the ingress/egress or fit of the buckets. If you do I hope you order black interior or the swap may be hard to find.

I am sure the buckets feel more special and raw. I want my car more road focused, and no way I will drive it if it’s so hard to get into. And, they don’t fit me well - too roomy and not supportive without harnesses.

YMMV

Last edited by Chris C.; 03-24-2022 at 04:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris C.:
Skuhi (03-24-2022), sparetireless (04-02-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:16 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I'd get the sofas if I was getting a touring. Most touring guys aren't tracking their cars (in fact most winged guys are not either). LWB seats are very comfortable but they are a pain for you and your passenger getting in and out of the car and they don't recline limiting your access. It's all opinion of course. I think if you are just doing spirited canyon carving, you don't need LWBs.
The following 6 users liked this post by subshooter:
NYCGT3 (03-24-2022), rosenbergendo (03-24-2022), Skuhi (03-25-2022), sparetireless (04-02-2022), StealthGT3 (03-26-2022), WCGhost (03-27-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:19 PM
Skuhi
Intermediate

Thank you very much for your answers! I know its pretty much personal, but one of the keys could be the answer to loading question - is the rear shelf even usable with the buckets?

@PTS

Sorry if I am being superficial with the thread, tried to search for one but could not find a 992 Touring one, as I believe at least the loading question could be different with 991.2 and 992.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:27 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Skuhi
Thank you very much for your answers! I know its pretty much personal, but one of the keys could be the answer to loading question - is the rear shelf even usable with the buckets?

@PTS

Sorry if I am being superficial with the thread, tried to search for one but could not find a 992 Touring one, as I believe at least the loading question could be different with 991.2 and 992.
It's usable but inconvenient. Requires either adjusting the seats or going over the top in the middle b/w the headrests. It's fine for soft stuff like a duffle or even a helmet bag. But it's not that great.
The following users liked this post:
Skuhi (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:30 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Skuhi

@PTS

The rear shelf is pretty worthless with the buckets. Yes you can shove some soft items back there like a duffel bag or other misc. items, but it's not the most gracious process.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mech33:
997usa (03-28-2022), Skuhi (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:38 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 233 Posts

For your use I would get either the standard or 18 ways. With the winged GT3 the Bucket seats are essential as it gives you the option to fit a Clubsport pack and harnesses(In Europe) As the Clubsport isn't an option with the Touring which leaves a large useable rear storage area which is pretty much a waste of space unless you can fold the seat backs to gain access.
Skuhi (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:55 PM
Skuhi
Intermediate

Thank you very much! Yes, pretty much lines up with what I thought - buckets kill the usability of the rear shelf. However, keep your experiences coming! I think I am an "experienced spec setter", but this...this keeps me on the fence. The dealer gave me one day to spec the car, but in this case, I can't tell if its good or wrong

As a little thank you for your advice and shared experiences, here is where I come from and where I am headed - the GT4 is a big love and I knew I would do a "race livery look" straight away. With the Touring, I am aiming at building a tribute to some great Rennsport cars of the past as I am also a lover of historical cars and Porsche pedigree. I think you can tell easily (and its an MT)...

The following 3 users liked this post by Skuhi:
AlexCeres (03-25-2022), got2go (03-25-2022), Tedster (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 06:37 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

For me, I had the buckets in my 991.2 GT3 and loved them. However, I also learned that I don’t want such a race-y looking car, so touring this time around. For the touring, and how I’d be using the car, sofa seats seem better. I’ll mostly be doing short trips with my daughter to car meets, back roads / mini road trips with my friends… buckets would be fine but Sofas fit the car and my purpose a little better.

who knows, might change the spec to buckets
Old 03-24-2022, 07:07 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,387 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by seanhaus
Hey Michael,

It’s definitely a personal choice, but for me the essence of any GT car is a nod to the racing heritage preceding it and so buckets are a must. I’d never fault someone for getting 4 or 18 ways though as they are also extremely nice.

If you are concerned about comfort on longer rides, P1Designs sells a memory foam insert that does make things a bit more comfortable.
Agree 💯

From my experience coming from a 992 C2S. There was no way I was going to get sofas in my GT3T. I’m 33 & have no issue with ingress/egress, but I’m sure age plays a factor with making this kind of decision. IMO if I’m sacrificing the rear seats; I’m getting the best seats for a GT car. When my wife & I take trips in the car; there’s plenty of space under the bonnet for a weeks trip & the seats slide far enough forward to fit something in the back. YMMV
touringGT3 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 07:34 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
Agree 💯

From my experience coming from a 992 C2S. There was no way I was going to get sofas in my GT3T. I’m 33 & have no issue with ingress/egress, but I’m sure age plays a factor with making this kind of decision. IMO if I’m sacrificing the rear seats; I’m getting the best seats for a GT car. When my wife & I take trips in the car; there’s plenty of space under the bonnet for a weeks trip & the seats slide far enough forward to fit something in the back. YMMV
Same here. It's my first GT car so my GT3T has to have full buckets. I'll have to figure out how to carry my golf clubs in the passenger seat or worry about the very rare occasions I need to load up something big(ger) in the rear, but willing to sacrifice those for my first GT3. If I end up regretting it then I'll just trade it in for the 992.2 GT3T with sofas.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:38 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 100 Posts

I’ve had buckets in a GT4 and Speedster and can’t imagine those cars without them. However, both my Tourings have had the 18 ways and I just think it suits the car better. Especially with all the driving around Europe that you’ll be doing. They are incredibly comfortable and highly adjustable, your passenger will appreciate them and it’s SO much easier getting things in and out of the back. And getting yourself in and out of the car. Winged GT3, buckets all the way. Touring, 4 or 18 way if you’ll actually be touring or daily driving it. Your car, your back and luggage- can’t go wrong either way. Love your builds too! Great taste you have.
Skuhi (03-25-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Touring: "to bucket or not"