Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Touring: "to bucket or not"

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 11:14 AM
Skuhi
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you all for your experiences and opinions! It was great hearing your opinions and how they differ. I value opinion of a single-GT-car owner as much as some of you who mentioned having pretty much all of the GT holy grails. I would like to cover how I came to a final decision and, in summer likely, I will also follow-up and reflect on this decision, as soon as I have a few thousand kilometers with the GT3.

I came to a decision - 18-Ways. Spec locked.

I am: 27 years old, BMI on point, no musculoskeletal system issues and holder of a FIA racing license However, quite busy work-wise and my plan was to bring the glorious GT3 engine and chassis into my everyday life. Just as I used to daily my first Porsche, 997 C4.

Final and most important reason: Burning the midnight oil I was reflecting on my experience when driving GT3 on a local track last September. It was absolutely awesome and the car has capabilities to blow away virtually anything south of GT2RS. However, it was stiff as hell and it sent quite some bangs and crashes into the interior (roughly 400% percent more than MC20 and still hell of a lot more than F8, which I also got to drive). If I want to tour Europe with the car, the extra cushioning could filter some of the bangs away from me and keep me fresh for a longer time. Also I would not subconsciously avoid roads worse than mirror-like perfect. I am the type of person to just decide on Saturday morning to drive to Stuttgart just for coffee (how lucky am I where I was born). 1400km trip in and out, not hesitating to fly down the Autobahns at 3AM. So, I also went to my dealer for some last-minute seat trying. I sat into a "sofa" equipped Carrera, set ideal driving position, hands on the wheel and pushed the brake pedal as hard as I could, forcing against the seat. Just as I would if I attacked a corner. The flex of the seat was just OK, pretty minimal.

I had an absolute blast with my LWB equipped GT4 (which I am not keeping anymore, as I have another few cars and it would be too much right now), but it evolved into a weekend-only car. And it was perfectly OK like that, but this time, I try to aim for a different usage and I came to realization sofa seats could be the key. The trade-off, right now, seems to be justifiable for me. It would also differentiate the car enough in case I would ever get a shot for an RS or other hardcore Porsches in the future.

The following 2 users liked this post by Skuhi:
ashephil (03-26-2022), Carcam (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 11:22 AM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Congrats on the allocation and on your early success! A new GT3 at 27 is no easy task
The following users liked this post:
Skuhi (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 12:59 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
It is such a personal thing, but here is what I think and why I chose the 18 way setup for my car.

I chose them because for me, they will enhance the touring aspect of the car. I did not want to emphasise the "race car for the road" feel, because it is not. I use,my cars very much like you, and I think the 18 way seats are bang on. They are very supportive, still quite firm, and quite deep too. They do not render the rear compartment useless for luggage which is a big deal for me as well. Truth of the matter is, that I actually think the buckets look totally out of place in a car with no wing, no cage, and lots of leather inside. Way too "try hard" somehow.

What AP thinks is totally irrelevant. Let him fit whatever seats he wants to his car. It makes it even more poignant that he also says PCCB's are a must. Most track rats would never choose them, and he should know this, so it seems to me that he is just talking marketing fluff. That said, I chose,PCCB's on my touring because the iron discs looked wrong, pure and simple.

But back to the seats. Think of this like you would think of tyres. Be honest with yourself and your intentions with the car. Don't do something just to be cool or because,it is expected of others. It's like fitting Cup 2 shoes to a car that will never be tracked. It's pointless and performance is diminished. In that same way you need to ask yourself whether or not the buckets serves you best. They may look cool to some and some think you can't have a GT car without. But do they offer the usability and comfort you need? I have the buckets in my 981 GT4 as well, and they are great, but that car is MUCH softer. I also had them in my GT3RS and that in part is why I don't have them in the touring. The 992 Touring is a completely different kettle of fish. It is very stiff and also louder inside. All of this will go into those seats a lot more than in your GT4, so take this into accohnt.

Choose what works for you, not what works for others.
AP's opinion is very "relevant." Perhaps, to you, it isn't, but to others, it is.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:08 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 455 Posts

Good choice. I have had a fair number of cars and had the LWBs on my 997.2 RS

However........they folded!. I saw the same seats on a 991GT3RS in Germany. When I got my 991RS I was told no longer available here.

I am hopeful that one day Porsche NA will get these approved.

On my 991RS I opted for 18-way. Other wise the access to the rear shel is not good.. no regrets.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:17 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
AP's opinion is very "relevant." Perhaps, to you, it isn't, but to others, it is.
Exactly how does his personal preference in seats matter to a car he will not be driving? I'd be interested in his advice about camber, toe, tyre pressures etc. but his opinion about seat choice is as important as your and mine. We are talking something that is as subjective as colours.

Like was said above, he is recommending two of the most expensive options there is. With his experience, he knows as well as anyone else the benefit for people to choose the iron rotors for track rats, yet he does not do that. Why is that? He also know very well how good they can perform with well matched pads.

He's not an oracle you know, his word is not law. Choose what fits you, not him.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:31 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

Exactly how does his personal preference in seats matter to a car he will not be driving? I'd be interested in his advice about camber, toe, tyre pressures etc. but his opinion about seat choice is as important as your and mine. We are talking something that is as subjective as colours.

Like was said above, he is recommending two of the most expensive options there is. With his experience, he knows as well as anyone else the benefit for people to choose the iron rotors for track rats, yet he does not do that. Why is that? He also know very well how good they can perform with well matched pads.

He's not an oracle you know, his word is not law. Choose what fits you, not him.
His input had zero influence on my choice of buckets or PCCBs as the interview was a year after I took ownership of my car. But for those who are on the fence about how to spec their car, hearing from Mr. 911 GT himself can be valuable input, as valuable - if not more so - than your input, my input or anyone else's. It's just another data point for consideration, that is all. The bottom line (pun intended) is that we all have different needs when it comes to our seats and our cars in general and no one should make such an important decision for the car owner other than him/herself.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:36 AM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 75 Posts

I would never buy a GT car without buckets. Everything else is optional but not buckets. You have two contact points to the car, steering and seats. Both provide valuable feedback, which enhances the driving experience. You spend a few seconds getting in and out of the car but what hours, days, years in driving the car.
smiles11 (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 12:40 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

His input had zero influence on my choice of buckets or PCCBs as the interview was a year after I took ownership of my car. But for those who are on the fence about how to spec their car, hearing from Mr. 911 GT himself can be valuable input, as valuable - if not more so - than your input, my input or anyone else's. It's just another data point for consideration, that is all. The bottom line (pun intended) is that we all have different needs when it comes to our seats and our cars in general and no one should make such an important decision for the car owner other than him/herself.
Again, I respectfully disagree. I don't read too much into that whole "Mr. GT" thing, and to be honest such a moniker sounds a bit silly to me. If you can see that someone intend to use the car very much like you yourself do, then your input might matter more than the input from someone who is biased towards the marketing and sales of the car. "Mr. GT" is not an outsider, he is a Porsche rep with an agenda. If he gets buyers to choose those expensive options, being it titanium cage, mag wheels, PCCB's, carbon roof, buckets etc. then he not only gets a pat on the back from Porsche, he also manifests his angle in terms of the design of the car and what path Porsche chooses in the future. In short, he serves his own needs on more than just the level of a car enthusiast and racer. Therefore I think a lot of the advice given on these boards matter more than his opinion. Like I said, I would be very happy to hear what his take is on track setup etc. but not what seats he like and which colour he like.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:01 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

He also hates black satin colored wheels, and Chalk/Crayon colored exteriors. Just sayin'....

Bucket seats are a fit and personal feel item. If it was such a critical element of the driving experience Porsche should offer sizes and allow people to sit in them at their so helpful sales appendages.

(they seem to be heading there with their insert$$$)

Still my wife definitely won't climb into those especially in a skirt - so if it's track only toy then why not.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:03 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorian C
I would never buy a GT car without buckets. Everything else is optional but not buckets. You have two contact points to the car, steering and seats. Both provide valuable feedback, which enhances the driving experience. You spend a few seconds getting in and out of the car but what hours, days, years in driving the car.
So glad you have that option!

As the old racing adage goes - different horses for different courses
Old 03-26-2022, 02:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,706 Likes on 5,116 Posts

It is such a personal thing, but here is what I think and why I chose the 18 way setup for my car.

I chose them because for me, they will enhance the touring aspect of the car. I did not want to emphasise the "race car for the road" feel, because it is not. I use,my cars very much like you, and I think the 18 way seats are bang on. They are very supportive, still quite firm, and quite deep too. They do not render the rear compartment useless for luggage which is a big deal for me as well. Truth of the matter is, that I actually think the buckets look totally out of place in a car with no wing, no cage, and lots of leather inside. Way too "try hard" somehow.

What AP thinks is totally irrelevant. Let him fit whatever seats he wants to his car. It makes it even more poignant that he also says PCCB's are a must. Most track rats would never choose them, and he should know this, so it seems to me that he is just talking marketing fluff. That said, I chose,PCCB's on my touring because the iron discs looked wrong, pure and simple.

But back to the seats. Think of this like you would think of tyres. Be honest with yourself and your intentions with the car. Don't do something just to be cool or because,it is expected of others. It's like fitting Cup 2 shoes to a car that will never be tracked. It's pointless and performance is diminished. In that same way you need to ask yourself whether or not the buckets serves you best. They may look cool to some and some think you can't have a GT car without. But do they offer the usability and comfort you need? I have the buckets in my 981 GT4 as well, and they are great, but that car is MUCH softer. I also had them in my GT3RS and that in part is why I don't have them in the touring. The 992 Touring is a completely different kettle of fish. It is very stiff and also louder inside. All of this will go into those seats a lot more than in your GT4, so take this into accohnt.

Choose what works for you, not what works for others.
Originally Posted by subshooter
AP is also Porsche's defacto marketer.(he does the roll outs and all the interviews with CH/Henry etc). ...and the infamous Yachting Blue inspiration (I mean califlower blue).

Of course he is going to push customers to opt for two of the most expensive options Porsche offers.

I read everything that AP says just like I how I read horoscopes.

For entertainment purposes only.
Il CP (03-26-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Touring: "to bucket or not"