Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Touring: "to bucket or not"

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 07:48 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Buckets or no, the classic question. My answer is, yes, definitely get the GT3 with a wing.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:20 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,387 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Perfect example to why it’s so great that Porsche allows us these choices. You’ll see GT owners who prefer sofas in their GT3 & you’ll see ‘T’ owners who want buckets in their Carrera.

Last edited by smiles11; 03-24-2022 at 08:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carcam (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 09:27 PM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Im in the "has to have buckets" group. Its part of the experience being " hard to get in". Along with the cabin / engine noise, the directness of steering and harder suspension etc. I think these aspects are what differentiates this car from the GTS and turbo which are great (and more comfortable) touring cars. Each to their own, but I'm more inclined to choose options on the touring which make it more raw then make it more soft.
smiles11 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 09:43 PM
Shawn_
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

in my opinion GT cars should come with buckets! It adds to the driving experience. That vibration rumbling thru your booty and into your body from the bucket is such an amazing experience. But like others have said it's all personal preference. Enjoy your car man!
Old 03-24-2022, 09:55 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 729 Posts

I’ve heard someone who is able to put a booster in The buckets. Anyone can confirm this?
Old 03-24-2022, 10:27 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 293 Posts

If I were getting a touring and the plan is drive the car for more then just early morning canyon weekend runs and use it as a fun car to drive to work, drive to dinner and most importantly a car you want to share and enjoy with a significant other on random weekend getaways or touring, I would spec the sofas. The buckets completely make the car an experience that sucks for passengers. Girls don’t want to be in the car. If it’s a car just for you and you alone, get the buckets.

I have a bucket wing car. If I got a touring slot, my usage would be like the above and I would get sofa’s. The new sofa’s also look rad.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:37 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

AP himself, Mr. Porsche GT, said his two "must haves" in a GT car are buckets and PCCBs. He said the buckets heighten the driving experience and increase the connection between man and machine. I agree. I have 4-ways in my Carrera and buckets in my Touring. The buckets are more comfortable, better looking, much lighter, more supportive and for me, anyway, using the rear shelf is very doable, whether it be transporting a couple golf bags or boxes of wine and beer after a weekend in Russian River Valley.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:10 PM
wormman
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless you're really fat get the buckets! All GT cars should have CF buckets
The following 3 users liked this post by wormman:
smiles11 (03-25-2022), usctrojanGT3 (03-25-2022), Yargk (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 12:36 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,706 Likes on 5,116 Posts

If you're asking this question -- LWB or sofas -- then the LWBs are not for you.
wormman (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 03:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
I’ve heard someone who is able to put a booster in The buckets. Anyone can confirm this?
confirmed but not advised.

Originally Posted by michaeldorian
If I were getting a touring and the plan is drive the car for more then just early morning canyon weekend runs and use it as a fun car to drive to work, drive to dinner and most importantly a car you want to share and enjoy with a significant other on random weekend getaways or touring, I would spec the sofas. The buckets completely make the car an experience that sucks for passengers. Girls don’t want to be in the car. If it’s a car just for you and you alone, get the buckets.

I have a bucket wing car. If I got a touring slot, my usage would be like the above and I would get sofa’s. The new sofa’s also look rad.
it depends no drivers preference. I drive my literally like a truck, as DD, goto costco, Safeway, city dump (that is not a joke), bought 2x4's sticking out the window.... I liek the buckets.. you can use the rear area even with bucket but not easily .I shoved my bicycle there too. kids soccer and baseball catcher gears.... again not convenient. depends on your dedication.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you're asking this question -- LWB or sofas -- then the LWBs are not for you.
agree.
seanhaus (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 05:11 AM
D_Tab555
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Like a lot of Rennlisters say above, It's really a personnal choice.
For me, I always chose LWB seats in my previous GT cars and I even put them in my previous 911 991.2 TTS (That's how I love them). I did a 2000 kms roadtrip back in spring 2019 in a GT3 in Germany and Swizerland and they were perfect... more comfortable than the 18 ways sport plus seats imo.
I can also confirm that the rear space is usable with 1 or 2 softs bags but not pratical (you'll have to put back the driver seat at the maximum and put front the passenger seat at the maximum to have better access).
Old 03-25-2022, 05:12 AM
D_Tab555
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

PS: I ofc put them in my incoming GT3T
Old 03-25-2022, 09:57 AM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

It is such a personal thing, but here is what I think and why I chose the 18 way setup for my car.

I chose them because for me, they will enhance the touring aspect of the car. I did not want to emphasise the "race car for the road" feel, because it is not. I use,my cars very much like you, and I think the 18 way seats are bang on. They are very supportive, still quite firm, and quite deep too. They do not render the rear compartment useless for luggage which is a big deal for me as well. Truth of the matter is, that I actually think the buckets look totally out of place in a car with no wing, no cage, and lots of leather inside. Way too "try hard" somehow.

What AP thinks is totally irrelevant. Let him fit whatever seats he wants to his car. It makes it even more poignant that he also says PCCB's are a must. Most track rats would never choose them, and he should know this, so it seems to me that he is just talking marketing fluff. That said, I chose,PCCB's on my touring because the iron discs looked wrong, pure and simple.

But back to the seats. Think of this like you would think of tyres. Be honest with yourself and your intentions with the car. Don't do something just to be cool or because,it is expected of others. It's like fitting Cup 2 shoes to a car that will never be tracked. It's pointless and performance is diminished. In that same way you need to ask yourself whether or not the buckets serves you best. They may look cool to some and some think you can't have a GT car without. But do they offer the usability and comfort you need? I have the buckets in my 981 GT4 as well, and they are great, but that car is MUCH softer. I also had them in my GT3RS and that in part is why I don't have them in the touring. The 992 Touring is a completely different kettle of fish. It is very stiff and also louder inside. All of this will go into those seats a lot more than in your GT4, so take this into accohnt.

Choose what works for you, not what works for others.
The following 2 users liked this post by Il CP:
michaeldorian (03-26-2022), Skuhi (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 10:10 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
AP himself, Mr. Porsche GT, said his two "must haves" in a GT car are buckets and PCCBs. He said the buckets heighten the driving experience and increase the connection between man and machine. I agree. I have 4-ways in my Carrera and buckets in my Touring. The buckets are more comfortable, better looking, much lighter, more supportive and for me, anyway, using the rear shelf is very doable, whether it be transporting a couple golf bags or boxes of wine and beer after a weekend in Russian River Valley.
AP is also Porsche's defacto marketer.(he does the roll outs and all the interviews with CH/Henry etc). ...and the infamous Yachting Blue inspiration (I mean califlower blue).

Of course he is going to push customers to opt for two of the most expensive options Porsche offers.
Il CP (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 10:36 AM
ashephil
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 16 Posts

I decided on 18 ways for all of the concerns that you raised. The 18 ways will still hold you in nicely. Buckets if you plan to track the car for sure, just my opinion ofcourse.
The following 3 users liked this post by ashephil:
BrntRubber (03-31-2022), Il CP (03-25-2022), Skuhi (03-25-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Touring: "to bucket or not"