Sponsored by:

Engine control error Driving permitted / PSM failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 10:24 PM
nerdtalker
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Engine control error Driving permitted / PSM failure

Sigh, so it begins. Anyone else had this happen? I'm at 800 miles and was driving back across the bay bridge when suddenly "Engine control error Driving permitted Visit workshop" and "PSM failure Visit workshop Adapted driving permitted". Symptoms persisted across a few restarts. Today driving to my other home down the peninsula (closer to my dealer) it went away while driving, at the same time I felt what felt like a big misfire/lurch as the warning went away.

Scanned with my Launch Diangun when I got home which now has 992 capabilities, looks like at least the MAP is kaput, also there are a page long list of other codes in every other module. Doesn't bode well. I'm going to try and take the car to service first thing on Monday.

"P010600 Intake Manifold Pressure Sender - Implaus. Signal"

Old 03-14-2022, 12:48 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 454 Posts

Which battery did u spec? This has lightweight battery written all over it
Old 03-14-2022, 04:31 AM
nerdtalker
Rennlist Member

I configured my car before that option showed up on the configurator, so I guess the 60 Ah "normal" LiIon battery not the 40 Ah lightweight one.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:34 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 549 Posts

Yes - likely battery problem solved by charge/replacement. I had apparently plugged in my battery tender incorrectly this winter (different car - 718S). Unplugged on a cold day to drive to dealer for four year service after a month on the tender . Had this happen about a mile into the drive. I was crapping my pants, especially as the car was a few weeks out of warranty. Service associate knew exactly what it was before they even scanned the car. Apparently somewhat common to throw multiple random codes with low charge.

Last edited by ldamelio; 03-14-2022 at 08:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nerdtalker (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 12:58 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,176 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by nerdtalker
I configured my car before that option showed up on the configurator, so I guess the 60 Ah "normal" LiIon battery not the 40 Ah lightweight one.
Which launch scanner do you have? Did you have to upgrade the software to get it to work on the 992? I’ve been looking for A scanner for the last year. Contacted lunch and they never got back to me? Thanks carl
nerdtalker (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 02:55 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 663 Posts

@nerdtalker Go see Jeo at Porsche Burlingame
nerdtalker (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 06:32 PM
nerdtalker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
Which launch scanner do you have? Did you have to upgrade the software to get it to work on the 992? I’ve been looking for A scanner for the last year. Contacted lunch and they never got back to me? Thanks carl
Launch Diagun IV. It will do coding as well and yeah the latest update to the Porsche software will do 992, 992 GT3 and Touring.

There are much newer Launch models but they're all just an android device with their software. I have a PIWIS as well but it's a super pain in the rear to use sometimes.

Last edited by nerdtalker; 03-14-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:33 PM
nerdtalker
Rennlist Member

I hope it's a battery, but I have my doubts. This was after an hour of driving in the morning and 1.5 hours of driving back, and in the last 10 minutes of that driving. Also voltages on the MFD seemed to be nominal, 13.4-13.6 is what I see typically for them.

Gunther has it now at Fremont so I'm sure they'll sort it out.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:37 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Have you installed anything on the CAN bus?

I had a device talking on the CAN bus, and the car turned into Christine. No joke. Threw all kinds of codes, windows went up and down, and radio came on - with the ignition off!!

Getting so many codes at once is likely signal interference from something.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:55 PM
nerdtalker
Rennlist Member

Nope nothing, I changed my side indicators to clear, that's the only modification thus far. I'm not touching anything until this is resolved, that's for sure. Not even the AWE window triangles until that's sorted haha.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:58 PM
nerdtalker
Rennlist Member

Speaking of signal interference though wireless carplay is absolutely abysmal in this car, I am not impressed with PCM 6. There is some wireless interferer near me near SJC and along 880 near the south end of SJC that causes wireless carplay to completely disconnect every time. Looking at logs it looks like the car's AP is jammed by something and causes TX/RX retries to go nuts before the iPhone STA disconnects. Pretty wild since I have 4 other 5 GHz based wireless carplay cars with 0 issue.
991drvr (03-16-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 06:59 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Nope nothing, I changed my side indicators to clear, that's the only modification thus far. I'm not touching anything until this is resolved, that's for sure. Not even the AWE window triangles until that's sorted haha.
LOL

It could possibly be pinched CAN wires somewhere. Or a bad module that’s puking out random codes.

Hope they find it fast.
nerdtalker (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 07:00 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Speaking of signal interference though wireless carplay is absolutely abysmal in this car, I am not impressed with PCM 6. There is some wireless interferer near me near SJC and along 880 near the south end of SJC that causes wireless carplay to completely disconnect every time. Looking at logs it looks like the car's AP is jammed by something and causes TX/RX retries to go nuts before the iPhone STA disconnects. Pretty wild since I have 4 other 5 GHz based wireless carplay cars with 0 issue.
I haven’t experienced this issue. Sounds more like there is interference on your CAN.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:01 PM
nerdtalker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
LOL

It could possibly be pinched CAN wires somewhere. Or a bad module that’s puking out random codes.

Hope they find it fast.
Yeah me too. I suspect most of it is irrelevant cascading noise and the one triggering code is the MAP.

What was very unnerving was the next day driving it when it felt like a miss in one of my 911 turbos, a pretty violent misfire, then the alert went away! That was weird to say the least.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:05 PM
nerdtalker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
I haven’t experienced this issue. Sounds more like there is interference on your CAN.
The WiFi Wireless CarPlay thing affects a ton of cars, even BMWs, that use the same module. You have to be near one of these jammers/stingray things basically at the airport or police station and then it'll drop.

Quick Reply: Engine control error Driving permitted / PSM failure