Sponsored by:

GT car price correction?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 10:54 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero757
Just thinking...If the recent market adjustment reduces your portfolio by $200K, you probably have a sizable portfolio which will likely go back up again over time. I have seen these fluctuations over the last twenty years and with a long enough horizon and a balanced portfolio a little leverage can work in your favor. Instead of pulling money out, borrow it at a low interest; a recovering portfolio will make up for the low cost of the loan. As another example, if I had $200K sitting around in cash ear marked in my portfolio for a car right now and I had the opportunity to buy that $200K car, I would not spend the cash, but rather borrow the money for the still very low interest rates (1.9% +/-). My $200K in cash would be ready to pick up a few undervalued shares in the near future in anticipation of recovery and likely make up more than the 1.9% it costs me. Or, if the feds raise interest, you can pick a nice AAA Muni bond at 3-4% tax free, covering the cost protecting the principal and even making you a little money...Is that a bad thought? I'm sure there are smarter, real and actual finance guys to chime in...
You guys are coming up with good points. I am sure there is a creative way to raise the $200K from my portfolio to purchase the car. I know my financial advisor did not want me to sell $200K in equities because of the capital gains, other reasons, and was looking at other options like being discussed here. Part of my original justification to my wife was the account was and is still up a lot so it was like free money. Also, the value of the car will not go down much in the near-term so I am trading one asset for another asset. If I am down over say $100K+ (even though I still have profit) it will be a more difficult sell to my wife and more difficult to for me to justify purchasing the car.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:00 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Waddi
I guess everyone has different priorities, but my GT3 cash is sitting in cash fund earning ~5%, no ways I would risk my car money in the markets, I have other money working away at that. And yes, the car will be a cash purchase, that’s the deal I made with myself a few years ago.

im the same as you. Wrote a check for the car. The peace of mind of no debt is worth far more than the potential return I could get by investing the cash. As you stated I’ve got other funds set aside that are earning interest for me.
The following 3 users liked this post by Yippiekiaye:
DFW01TT (01-29-2022), GT3 Mike (01-28-2022), rodneyr (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 02:53 PM
Waddi
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
You guys are coming up with good points. I am sure there is a creative way to raise the $200K from my portfolio to purchase the car. I know my financial advisor did not want me to sell $200K in equities because of the capital gains, other reasons, and was looking at other options like being discussed here. Part of my original justification to my wife was the account was and is still up a lot so it was like free money. Also, the value of the car will not go down much in the near-term so I am trading one asset for another asset. If I am down over say $100K+ (even though I still have profit) it will be a more difficult sell to my wife and more difficult to for me to justify purchasing the car.
I mean no offense, and I am aware that I am in the minority, but, any woman that tries to keep me from my car won’t be in my life for very long. The rest is all up for deliberation and negotiation, but my car is not.
The following users liked this post:
wormman (01-29-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 03:21 PM
GT3 Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 589 Posts

Its funny, everyone is waiting for a tanked economy to buy cars when in reality the last thing " they " will be buying is cars.

If interest rates rose to 10% I'd have every penny I could scrounge up sitting in the bank and not buying a GT car ( or any car ) !
The following 2 users liked this post by GT3 Mike:
shrimp money (01-28-2022), WCGhost (01-29-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 03:23 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
if you really have an allocation near MSRP, that alone is effectively an asset in this market. You could sell it. So walking away is ... sad. It's giving up a significant asset over less than 10% its total value in interest (worst case, you carry the loan full term)
I get we all have different situations, but we're just trying to point out there are quite a few ways to get these numbers to work, even if the loans are very short term to bridge over some market fluctuations.
In this environment, I prefer a standard auto loan, but your financial advisor should also be able to help you evaluate a secure line of credit. There are a lot of ways to make this work, still get back to debt free as quickly as the markets allow, and keep a pretty tight lid on the total financing costs.
rodneyr (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 03:24 PM
Waddi
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Mike
Its funny, everyone is waiting for a tanked economy to buy cars when in reality the last thing " they " will be buying is cars.

If interest rates rose to 10% I'd have every penny I could scrounge up sitting in the bank and not buying a GT car ( or any car ) !
As I previously stated, we all have different priorities…
Old 01-28-2022, 05:00 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Mike
If interest rates are at 10%, likely means inflation is rampant and keeping every penny in the bank is not the best investment strategy either (rates on Savings account below inflation rate, atop of course such being 1099-INT reportable, so all one would see is a bleed resulting in diminishing purchasing power).

Not suggesting investing such funds in the GT3 is the better approach, but there is a reason in inflationary times certain 'real' assets (precious metals, TIP ETFs, etc.) get bid up. Wealth preservation / creation is all about having good asset diversification and staying the course with your defined risk tolerance / appetite 'NorthStar' (and pre-set time horizon). Cash, stock investments, bonds, real estate, 'collectibles' / art for that matter, can all have their share in a well balanced personal portfolio mix.
WCGhost (01-29-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:02 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 732 Posts

I hope no one’s taking personal finance advice from a car forum.
The following 5 users liked this post by WenigerAberBeser:
chance6 (01-29-2022), JAMilford (01-30-2022), richk (01-31-2022), RUF RS (01-28-2022), WCGhost (01-29-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:12 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
Odd comment for this subforum, lots of financial professionals and smart money guys in here. Also a safe assumption that majority of those shopping for $200k+ cars are at minimum financially savvy enough to understand the different avenues to purchase and opportunity costs associated with each. I'm not saying I'd personally be searching for information/wisdom here to make my decision, but this is certainly not a bad place to discuss these things amongst other people going through the same decision process

Last edited by PTS; 01-28-2022 at 06:22 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by PTS:
AlexCeres (01-28-2022), Eric5280 (01-29-2022), GT3_Driver (01-30-2022), JAMilford (01-30-2022), jimjoe997 (01-30-2022), mjj (01-30-2022), rodneyr (01-28-2022), WCGhost (01-29-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-28-2022, 07:55 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,233 Likes on 2,087 Posts

It’s not the worst place. There are some really smart and Uber wealthy people on this forum.

Nady was discussing portfolio loans on his IG last week.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
AlexCeres (01-28-2022), WCGhost (01-29-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 08:48 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
Odd comment for this subforum, lots of financial professionals and smart money guys in here. Also a safe assumption that majority of those shopping for $200k+ cars are at minimum financially savvy enough to understand the different avenues to purchase and opportunity costs associated with each. I'm not saying I'd personally be searching for information/wisdom here to make my decision, but this is certainly not a bad place to discuss these things amongst other people going through the same decision process
Originally Posted by shrimp money
It’s not the worst place. There are some really smart and Uber wealthy people on this forum.

Nady was discussing portfolio loans on his IG last week.
it’s fun to discuss, sure. But everyone has a unique personal finance situation, so what works for one may not work for others, that’s all I was saying. Taking out a massive loan at age 60 vs 35 has different implications just like someone who is a HENRY vs Net Worth of $20m, etc. Sorry to disrupt the party
Old 01-28-2022, 09:58 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Exotic car prices are out of whack (ex. Carrera GT). Will they come back down?
Old 01-28-2022, 11:45 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,035 Posts

it’s fun to discuss, sure. But everyone has a unique personal finance situation, so what works for one may not work for others, that’s all I was saying. Taking out a massive loan at age 60 vs 35 has different implications just like someone who is a HENRY vs Net Worth of $20m, etc. Sorry to disrupt the party
that’s my point. Most of these people haven’t actually run the numbers and are stuck in the mindset of “all debt is bad, must avoid even if I pay an extra 35% in taxes”. Sorry, the cash only crowd needs way more perspective.

at 3% interest, you could float the entire car for only 10% of msrp. If you can’t handle +/- 10%, then damn, son you’re run close to the wire. A HENRY who decides they can afford $220K instead of 200k is perfectly situated to use an auto loan to buy the car.

this is a car forum. We like to see people get in cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
DFW01TT (01-29-2022), PTS (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 12:14 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
that’s my point. Most of these people haven’t actually run the numbers and are stuck in the mindset of “all debt is bad, must avoid even if I pay an extra 35% in taxes”. Sorry, the cash only crowd needs way more perspective.

at 3% interest, you could float the entire car for only 10% of msrp. If you can’t handle +/- 10%, then damn, son you’re run close to the wire. A HENRY who decides they can afford $220K instead of 200k is perfectly situated to use an auto loan to buy the car.

this is a car forum. We like to see people get in cars.
Dude, we get it… you love credit, but guess what, not everyone wants credit or needs credit to buy a car… doesn’t mean they don’t know what they are doing. Try to have a bit more perspective.
Yippiekiaye (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 12:42 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Dude, we get it… you love credit, but guess what, not everyone wants credit or needs credit to buy a car… doesn’t mean they don’t know what they are doing. Try to have a bit more perspective.
This.

nothing wrong with a loan. Nothing wrong with cash. Just be mindful of your own limits.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yippiekiaye:
9650max (01-29-2022), joejenie (01-31-2022)

Quick Reply: GT car price correction?