Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 06:28 PM
RaceDeck
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 41 Posts
Default GT3 Touring PCCB / Steel Brakes

I searched through the threads to learn what everyone is thinking on PCCB vs steel brakes on the new GT3 Touring, could not find much recent. I had ceramics on a 2012 gt3rs and where great on the track, and minimal brake fade took a while to heat up and work on the street, less dust, - On street not much difference.
So what has changed for 2022? I do not plan on tracking the new GT3 Touring ( maybe a few times here and there for events, but nothing serious) - I live in utah ( cool in the spring and fall, hot summers and big open and mountain roads ... What would you choose and why?
All Rennlist Members Get Club Discounts on RACEDECK, the original USA made, multi-patented modular garage flooring system

22' GT3 Touring CXX - Auratium Green / Graphite Blue interior ( CXX )
991 GT2 RS Weissach - Chalk
991.2 Carrera 4 S in Chalk
993 Turbo White/ red interior
997.1 911 GT2 Black
73 - RS custom 3.6L White
24' GT4RS Oslo (still in production)
92' 964 soon a "Turbo Study"
Old 12-04-2021, 07:49 PM
very green R
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDeck
I searched through the threads to learn what everyone is thinking on PCCB vs steel brakes on the new GT3 Touring, could not find much recent. I had ceramics on a 2012 gt3rs and where great on the track, and minimal brake fade took a while to heat up and work on the street, less dust, - On street not much difference.
So what has changed for 2022? I do not plan on tracking the new GT3 Touring ( maybe a few times here and there for events, but nothing serious) - I live in utah ( cool in the spring and fall, hot summers and big open and mountain roads ... What would you choose and why?
If you are doing a lot of mountain driving then I would consider the PCCBs.. If big open roads then I would not buy PCCB. I have not had PCCBs myself, but I am considering should I get a GT4RS alllocation. My understanding for tracked cars that standard brakes are more cost effective since PCCBs will need service eventually and cost is around $30K for new PCCBs. But on road driven vehicles the PCCBs may last the life of the car. I am considering PCCBs myself for saving rotating unsprung mass to provide quicker steering response on mountain roads, quicker acceleration, quicker suspension reaction. Did you notice an improvement in steering response on mountain road driving on your 2012 gt3rs?
Old 12-05-2021, 12:34 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

If you are not planning on tracking the car, I can promise unless you are a professional driver you are not going to see any measurable performance difference on the street. On the track if you get to the point is driving the car a 8/10th of its limit you might see a slight difference because of the unstrung weight difference.
If you want to spend the money for the PCCBs than go for it. Not really any downside besides the cost.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 02:50 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

Honestly, i think the PCCB's are visually stunning, they have a presence and look good; they fill the wheel and have a nice surface finish.
Also, no dust on the wheels which is HUGE (although the 992 pad has been reformulated to less copper content with mildly more dust than prior).

If you have the option of spec'ing them i would do it.

Only downside is the feeling of vulnerability of damage from a well-placed rock or an untrained technician during wheel mount/dismount injuring of the discs beyond repair (automatic $5-10k in parts if one or both same axle rotors need replacement)

Also in wet icy conditions or cold damp conditions the PCCBs don't bite immediately as well as Irons.

On the street more than on the track (unless bumpy) you can feel a slight sense of lightness/airiness with the PCCBs but it's subtle and not everyone may notice it; i am not sure it even makes a difference to performance, just a slight difference, no big deal.

I don't take my GT3 to track but having read gazillions on the topic, if you're an occasional track user and take care to cool down the brakes and make sure you replace pads below 40% then nothing much to worry about for occasional use. If you are a track junkie then PCCBs make less sense financially and better to have irons stock or other brands (AP racing etc.) and simply swap rotors for a fifth of the price and you get brand new discs!!!

The biggest complaint i have with my irons on my GT3 is the dust, not any sensation of inadequate braking or less unsprung weight. I like the feeling of no-worry if cold/wet/icy about having that initial brake application not be up to snuff on the PCCB's (can be scary/dangerous if you use as daily driver in the cold wet winter) and also about rock chips etc. Car feels more day to day invulnerable to that.

One other detail if you like to heel and toe the PCCBs (especially on my T) are very touchy and not as nice/fun to modulate as Irons because they bite too aggressively, not an issue on the RS.

I would have specc'ed PCCB's if i could have but i have them on my 991.2GT3RS and 991.2 Carrera T and enjoy the variety. PCCBs just look aesthetically very sexy. And no, slapping on surface transforms doesn't look as good and is more of a hassle having non OEM part on a new car again unless you are a dedicated track junkie.

If not much rain sleet and slush snow and if not daily driver in those conditions then PCCBs for sure and if you want not to worry about it then Irons. If after tracking the irons get warped or what not easy swap to new ones $5k vs 25k

Last edited by catdog2; 06-18-2023 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (06-20-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 04:36 AM
Jony++
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

IMO the only problem the PCCBs have is the price. For the rest, all are advantages. Yes, the steels are very good, but the carbon ceramics are better.

I had GT3s with both, and now for my touring I've decided to go back to steels, but I was wrong, I miss the PCCB...

If you plan to track a lot, in that case steels make sense

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring PCCB / Steel Brakes