Sponsored by:

The reality of "MSRP" Lists

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 12:18 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,744 Likes on 974 Posts
Question The reality of "MSRP" Lists

Historically there have been "MSRP" dealerships that do not charge a markup. These dealers have had lists with a deposit. I'm personally on a number of lists some going as far back as 5 years ago.

Recently, I found out about new "allocations" with varying degrees of ADM from these MSRP dealers. These are dealers that advertise MSRP in some channels but in other channels magically able to come up with allocations to customers who agree to pay ADM. This is unfortunately not a 1 or 2 dealership but I am seeing this more and more. I have also seen some dealers (2) change their policy (very silently) about now their MSRP lists being to "certain clients" where the definition of certain ranges from local clients to clients who live a certain distance away from the such dealer.

Bottom line is, if you are on some MSRP list I would not trust that your turn will come. The people on this list do not get a fair share of the allocations dealer get. I confronted one of the dealers about how their MSRP list works if they provide a "shortcut" to ADM paying customers and obviously never heard back!

Also one of things I have observe to work is to reach out to the same dealer at different times but reach out to different sales people (so 2 weeks apart, reach out to 3 salesman for example). You'd be surprised how much more insight you'll get (or how untrustworthy they are) by talking to different people working at the same dealership who will never share their clients information with each other (because they are competing with one another) but this helps expose how inconsistent they are with the story they tell.

Dont take this post as a statement that you cant buy a GT3 @ MSRP. I am simply sharing my observations as I am sure there might be those of us that are more on the naive side. I think some markup that you are comfortable with might be unavoidable in this current market.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 11-02-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Wait, didn't you just start a thread two weeks ago about how you were offered cars by two dealers at low ADMs, that ADMs were coming down, and that MSRP allocations were just around the corner?

I believe you said "Just wait a bit and I think come winter you could get an allocation either at MSRP or very slightly above it."

Are you saying that's not true?

Last edited by Archimedes; 11-02-2021 at 01:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
whojoemama (11-03-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 01:40 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wait, didn't you just start a thread two weeks ago about how you were offered cars by two dealers at low ADMs, that ADMs were coming down, and that MSRP allocations were just around the corner?

I believe you said "Just wait a bit and I think come winter you could get an allocation either at MSRP or very slightly above it."

What I said two weeks ago and what I said now are two different things. If you re-read what you yourself have posted above, that is not mutually exclusive to what I am saying.

Two weeks ago’s post was about 150k or 100k ADM not being the norm and that lower was possible and I stated it is an indication that things are getting better.

Today’s post is more about the unethical business practices and these MSRP lists not really being scientific. I have no skin the game more than you or the next guy. I am just sharing what I observe. You dont have to like what I say, I can only respond to you and say this isnt my opinion or conjecture. Its merely personal experience.
chance6 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 01:48 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Why are you so worried about how other people spend their money?
AlexCeres (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 01:52 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 1,427 Posts

DELETE.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:53 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Why are you so worried about how other people spend their money?
How does what I stated above give you the indication that I am? Its a public forum. I am sharing my experience. I think there are many people who get on these MSRP lists thinking its a fair system that assigns each allocation a dealer gets to the top pf the list. I am stating my recent experience says this isnt the case always. Its not a scientific system and its not a fair system. A dealer recently got into an argument with me when I asked where I would be on their list. They basically said they dont disclose a) how many are on the list, b) what would be the going rate of the car when my turn comes c) on average how many allocations they get per year. So they want you to commit but they keep you in the dark. They say its MSRP but they also say it might not be MSRP when your turn comes. Every dealer is unique and I dont think you can trust that they will do what you think they will do with using their allocations.

Also why is there hostile behavior when these types of threads show up? Any piece post/information someone posts that dont jive well with the majority, you are crucified, attacked, and insulted. Same thing with the thread about the brake ducts being ripped or the guy complaining about his GT3 not being a good DD. Its like this is a cult and you are not welcome if you dont sing the party line

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 11-02-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:54 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

you are correct, that was his thread and he was unwilling to share the names of the dealerships offering MSRP telling us all to do our homework 🤪
Old 11-02-2021, 01:57 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
you are correct, that was his thread and he was unwilling to share the names of the dealerships offering MSRP telling us all to do our homework 🤪
Not once I stated I had MSRP cars. If I had a car for MSRP, I’d have one myself. I didnt share the names of the lower ADMs. Please do not twist my words.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:00 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
How does what I stated above give you the indication that I am? Its a public forum. I am sharing my experience. I think there are many people who get on these MSRP lists thinking its a fair system that assigns each allocation a dealer gets to the top pf the list. I am stating my recent experience says this isnt the case always. Its not a scientific system and its not a fair system. A dealer recently got into an argument with me when I asked where I would be on their list. They basically said they dont disclose a) how many are on the list, b) what would be the going rate of the car when my turn comes c) on average how many allocations they get per year. So they want you to commit but they keep you in the dark. They say its MSRP but they also say it might not be MSRP when your turn comes. Every dealer is unique and I dont think you can trust that they will do what you think they will do with using their allocations.

Also why is there hostile behavior when these types of threads show up? Any piece post/information someone posts that dont jive well with the majority, you are crucified, attacked, and insulted. Same thing with the thread about the brake ducts being ripped or the guy complaining about his GT3 not being a good DD. Its like this is a cult and you are not welcome if you dont sing the party line
I wasn’t being hostile just asking why you’re so concerned with whether other people pay MSRP or not.

This won’t be my first GT car but I learned the last go around that there’s nothing scientific or fair about the process. You hope you make the right friends at your dealer, and that they will take care of you through the process. If you get one at MSRP, great, and if you don’t, then you can decide for yourself what you’re willing to do.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:07 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Racer

Not once I stated I had MSRP cars. If I had a car for MSRP, I’d have one myself. I didnt share the names of the lower ADMs. Please do not twist my words.
Here are your words:

Turned down a configurable allocation on Friday at 30k and another one at 25k today. Two different dealers. They called me (I was interested in summer). Just wait a bit and I think come winter you could get an allocation either at MSRP or very slightly above it.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:13 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Here are your words:

Turned down a configurable allocation on Friday at 30k and another one at 25k today. Two different dealers. They called me (I was interested in summer). Just wait a bit and I think come winter you could get an allocation either at MSRP or very slightly above it.
Good. Now these are your words:

How does one read the first (my) statement and conclude second (yours)? Where did I once state that dealers are "offering MSRP"? That is present tense. You are twisting my words to attack my credibility because you are annoyed with what I post. Typical "fake news" culture.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:15 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

I have three amazing kids and not a lot of time to *ick around with pursuing a life long achievement of getting a GT at MSRP. Maybe when I retire. I also don't have any friends who would be impressed one way or another with that achievement - but it's awesome entertainment value on RL. Think of the advertising dollars alone that RL has generated from this content.
The following 3 users liked this post by ShakeNBake:
AlexCeres (11-02-2021), ProCoach (11-17-2021), WCGhost (11-20-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 02:16 PM
mnawa
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

Sounds like you’ve locked in an allocation for yourself.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:20 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Racer

Good. Now these are your words:

How does one read the first (my) statement and conclude second (yours)? Where did I once state that dealers are "offering MSRP"? That is present tense. You are twisting my words to attack my credibility because you are annoyed with what I post. Typical "fake news" culture.
Here is our further dialogue with you clearly telling all of the uneducated how we can find MSRP is we do our homework.

Quote:
Do tell with the name of the dealers
Sorry, I cant do that Do your own homework, they are out there

So you are the fake news and you have no credibility. In fact, why did you even start a new post? You could have merely added your new insight to your original post.

Last edited by Mr Mojo Risin; 11-02-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:22 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Here is our further dialogue with you clearly telling all of the uneducated how we can find MSRP is we do our homework.

Quote:
Do tell with the name of the dealers
Sorry, I cant do that Do your own homework, they are out there
I think you have a problem with understanding what you read. I have quoted your quote of my post and responded with your statement misrepresenting my post. Please do respond to me and articulate how you came to that conclusion.

Quick Reply: The reality of "MSRP" Lists