Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shark Blue/Deviated Stitching Closeups. Initial Driving Impressions vs. my 991

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 11:25 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Shark Blue/Deviated Stitching Closeups. Initial Driving Impressions vs. my 991

Some initial impressions from my now second drive. I had a 2015 991 GT3 followed by a 2018 991.2 GT3 Manual, and now this 2022 992.1 GT3 Manual. I generally drove my GT3s nearly daily and between the last 2 models I drove nearly 24000 miles between them. This morning, taking the new car out for a spin, here are some initial impressions:

1. The brakes, albeit being brand new, FEEL better
2. Exhaust note...more specifically interior exhaust note seems more refined...however, induction noise is louder than my 991.2 GT3.
3. To me, the manual transmission with regards to pedal feel and shifter feel is nearly exactly like my 991.2 GT3. Many have discussed the fact that the clutch feels lighter, stalling issues, etc. It all seemed the same to me as my previous car. I made a left turn out of my subdivision road and shifting through the gears, including my favorite 4-5 shift immediately reminded me how great the manual is on this car. For a daily driver, it was engaging. The PDK I had was absolutely great...but it was only great at 9000rpm shifts....otherwise, shifting at 25mph, 35mph, 55mph, etc. was just...boring...un-involving.
4. The interior....THIS is a massive step-change from the 991 obviously. The driving position is better with a lower, more horizontal dashboard design. The PCM is miles and miles ahead of the old PCM. I would say between staring at the instrument cluster, using the PCM, and listening to the new warning sounds...although infrequent, immediately dates the 991 platform 10-fold.
5. The steering/suspension...NOW THIS is where there is a VERY noticeable update over the 991. The first thing is how dead and planted-on center the steering wheel is. Also, I did notice some slightly stiffer ride quality over some bumps...definitely not intolerable, and if one didn't have a previous generation GT3, they probably wouldn't call it harsh. The car felt very much like a sports car should...not soft and loose. I always felt the 991 GT3 had a weird, almost bump steer type of "looseness" (if you could call it that) to the front end. Maybe "vagueness" is a better word? Either way, the steering feel immediately changes your mental psyche to a different state. Initially, I got into this car thinking the power is similar, dimensions are similar and the transmission is identical to my old 991 GT3. However, in actually driving the car, the overall feeling, mostly psychologically, is that of a totally different car. One isn't concentrating on the powertrain solely BECAUSE the steering and suspension are a massive improvement.
6. The BOSE sound system is a bit more improved over the 991 Bose system with a bit more fidelity and ambiance. The navigation and bluetooth coupled with wireless Apple CarPlay is a game changer.
7. There's something refreshing about the instant, fast, high-pitched sound of the starter. The 991 GT3 always had that "dead battery" low chugging starter motor sound. This one is quick and sounds very precise. I know...it's a starter and I never had a problem with my 991...just this just sounds so much nicer.
8. That box of marbles that 991.1 GT3s had at idle is completely gone. The powerplant is smooth at idle. Bystanders won't be wondering if you have oil in the crankcase...
9. The Ambient lighting package is actually quite great! I was surprised at how much lighting was evident throughout the car, the ability to adjust intensity and the color ranges of the mood lighting. Yes, this is a pure novelty item but it really does "expand" the atmosphere when driving at night or very dark cloudy occasions. I like it. It's NOT subtle like it was in the 991. It's pretty cool.
10. Between the interior, the electronics, the engine improvements, and obvious steering/suspension upgrades, the car is totally different to me. I should say...the EXPERIENCE is different vs. my old 991.

I took some closeup photos this morning parked in shade trying to highlight some interior details for those considering deviated stitching. As many have said, the Shark Blue paint and satin black wheels just don't photograph well. I took these photos, looked up and was immediately frustrated in not being able to catch the beauty of this color. The same actually goes for the racing yellow deviated stitching. It's a bit richer and a hair darker in reality. Anyhow, hopefully these impressions and closeups help prospects navigate their specs.

Deviated stitching in racing yellow matches the needles and tach

Note the racing yellow tachometer matches the yellow semi-circular hashes on the gauge to the right.

Racing yellow stitching matches the "GT3" and shift pattern color

floormat with deviated stitching. Please note that when you order the exclusive floormats, you STILL receive the regular floor mat set as well!

Extended dashboard in leather with racing yellow sport chronograph

Ambient light settings

More interior lighting settings

Deviated stitching on doors. Also note the stitching is also present around the frunk and truck release buttons

Last edited by motorwerksgroup; 11-01-2021 at 11:36 AM.
The following 21 users liked this post by motorwerksgroup:
911TurboRules (11-02-2021), Brainofjjj (11-01-2021), Captain P (11-03-2021), Chris C. (11-02-2021), Fixinbones (11-01-2021), GT3PDL (11-02-2021), halfmonkey (11-01-2021), heshalosny (11-02-2021), jfr0317 (11-01-2021), konaforever (11-01-2021), Mr Mojo Risin (11-01-2021), nerdtalker (11-01-2021), pdkisgay (11-01-2021), Porsche911GTS'16 (11-03-2021), raymort (11-01-2021), richardbf (02-17-2022), ShakeNBake (11-01-2021), token (11-02-2021), TukeeGatorGT3 (11-03-2021), Vintage72 (11-02-2021), Yojeffo (02-17-2022) and 16 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-01-2021, 12:02 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Does the ambient lighting pack offer more total lights than without? Or same lit areas with the ability to change the color?
Old 11-01-2021, 12:15 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thigos
Does the ambient lighting pack offer more total lights than without? Or same lit areas with the ability to change the color?
There are more total lights...like many! Even within the pockets next to the center console (next to the driver's right thigh and passenger's left thigh), in the door pockets, etc.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:34 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

I feel a bit remorseful over the ambient lights. I traded the black headlights for ambient, because ambient was underwhelming on the 981/991.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:35 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I feel a bit remorseful over the ambient lights. I traded the black headlights for ambient, because ambient was underwhelming on the 981/991.
Say what?? The ambient lights are inside the car. They light up the interior at nighttime. Which black lights are you talking about? The headlights? What do you mean you "traded"?
Old 11-01-2021, 12:40 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Similar price for both options. I am in a chrome-hater phase of life, so took the chrome-less black headlights over the ambient. If I knew the ambient system was as nice as in my X5M, I would have chosen and ambient and suffered a bit of chrome.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:42 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Similar price for both options. I am in a chrome-hater phase of life, so took the chrome-less black headlights over the ambient. If I knew the ambient system was as nice as in my X5M, I would have chosen and ambient and suffered a bit of chrome.
So you didn't want to spend $700 and have BOTH black headlights AND the ambient INTERIOR lighting?
Old 11-01-2021, 12:52 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
So you didn't want to spend $700 and have BOTH black headlights AND the ambient INTERIOR lighting?
Forcing myself to make tradeoffs like that are how I justify spending 250K on a car

But honestly, ambient was so pointless on the previous gen that I assumed it was the same on this car. It seems that unless Andreas Preuninger markets the features, they get lost on the informationless and avant-guard design of their marketing materials. My dealer had zero 911s in stock to demo any features.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:54 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Forcing myself to make tradeoffs like that are how I justify spending 250K on a car

But honestly, ambient was so pointless on the previous gen that I assumed it was the same on this car. It seems that unless Andreas Preuninger markets the features, they get lost on the informationless and avant-guard design of their marketing materials. My dealer had zero 911s in stock to demo any features.
Ah got it! Yeah, have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise there's no end
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 06:26 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Amen brother. And yes the X5Ms are nice. Will check that box now, thanks OP.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:15 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

I forgot to mention, if you order the exclusive floor mats with leather stitching, you still get an additional pair of floor mats as well...so 4 mats total.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:38 AM
aleguizz
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=motorwerksgroup;17758455]Some initial impressions from my now second drive. I had a 2015 991 GT3 followed by a 2018 991.2 GT3 Manual, and now this 2022 992.1 GT3 Manual. I generally drove my GT3s nearly daily and between the last 2 models I drove nearly 24000 miles between them. This morning, taking the new car out for a spin, here are some initial impressions:

1. The brakes, albeit being brand new, FEEL better
2. Exhaust note...more specifically interior exhaust note seems more refined...however, induction noise is louder than my 991.2 GT3.
3. To me, the manual transmission with regards to pedal feel and shifter feel is nearly exactly like my 991.2 GT3. Many have discussed the fact that the clutch feels lighter, stalling issues, etc. It all seemed the same to me as my previous car. I made a left turn out of my subdivision road and shifting through the gears, including my favorite 4-5 shift immediately reminded me how great the manual is on this car. For a daily driver, it was engaging. The PDK I had was absolutely great...but it was only great at 9000rpm shifts....otherwise, shifting at 25mph, 35mph, 55mph, etc. was just...boring...un-involving.
4. The interior....THIS is a massive step-change from the 991 obviously. The driving position is better with a lower, more horizontal dashboard design. The PCM is miles and miles ahead of the old PCM. I would say between staring at the instrument cluster, using the PCM, and listening to the new warning sounds...although infrequent, immediately dates the 991 platform 10-fold.
5. The steering/suspension...NOW THIS is where there is a VERY noticeable update over the 991. The first thing is how dead and planted-on center the steering wheel is. Also, I did notice some slightly stiffer ride quality over some bumps...definitely not intolerable, and if one didn't have a previous generation GT3, they probably wouldn't call it harsh. The car felt very much like a sports car should...not soft and loose. I always felt the 991 GT3 had a weird, almost bump steer type of "looseness" (if you could call it that) to the front end. Maybe "vagueness" is a better word? Either way, the steering feel immediately changes your mental psyche to a different state. Initially, I got into this car thinking the power is similar, dimensions are similar and the transmission is identical to my old 991 GT3. However, in actually driving the car, the overall feeling, mostly psychologically, is that of a totally different car. One isn't concentrating on the powertrain solely BECAUSE the steering and suspension are a massive improvement.
6. The BOSE sound system is a bit more improved over the 991 Bose system with a bit more fidelity and ambiance. The navigation and bluetooth coupled with wireless Apple CarPlay is a game changer.
7. There's something refreshing about the instant, fast, high-pitched sound of the starter. The 991 GT3 always had that "dead battery" low chugging starter motor sound. This one is quick and sounds very precise. I know...it's a starter and I never had a problem with my 991...just this just sounds so much nicer.
8. That box of marbles that 991.1 GT3s had at idle is completely gone. The powerplant is smooth at idle. Bystanders won't be wondering if you have oil in the crankcase...
9. The Ambient lighting package is actually quite great! I was surprised at how much lighting was evident throughout the car, the ability to adjust intensity and the color ranges of the mood lighting. Yes, this is a pure novelty item but it really does "expand" the atmosphere when driving at night or very dark cloudy occasions. I like it. It's NOT subtle like it was in the 991. It's pretty cool.
10. Between the interior, the electronics, the engine improvements, and obvious steering/suspension upgrades, the car is totally different to me. I should say...the EXPERIENCE is different vs. my old 991.

I took some closeup photos this morning parked in shade trying to highlight some interior details for those considering deviated stitching. As many have said, the Shark Blue paint and satin black wheels just don't photograph well. I took these photos, looked up and was immediately frustrated in not being able to catch the beauty of this color. The same actually goes for the racing yellow deviated stitching. It's a bit richer and a hair darker in reality. Anyhow, hopefully these impressions and closeups help prospects navigate their specs.

Deviated stitching in racing yellow matches the needles and tach

Note the racing yellow tachometer matches the yellow semi-circular hashes on the gauge to the right.

Racing yellow stitching matches the "GT3" and shift pattern color

floormat with deviated stitching. Please note that when you order the exclusive floormats, you STILL receive the regular floor mat set as well!

Extended dashboard in leather with racing yellow sport chronograph

Ambient light settings

More interior lighting settings

Deviated stitching on doors. Also note the stitching is also present around the frunk and truck release buttons

[/Q

Hello. A question. When you go over the bumps do you also feel a noise from the rear as if there was a metal spring swinging in the rear? Thanks

Old 11-02-2021, 10:54 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aleguizz
Hello. A question. When you go over the bumps do you also feel a noise from the rear as if there was a metal spring swinging in the rear? Thanks
No. I haven't noticed any strange suspension noises over bumps. I did hear a slight creak from the notorious driver's door panel but the weather was quite cold and I know that leather stuff reacts differently in different temperatures.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:18 PM
aleguizz
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 32 Posts

When the engine is cold and a little "rough" there are strong vibrations also inside the dashboard both in the area where there is the ignition and in the part under the PCM.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:24 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

@motorwerksgroup Finalizing my Touring build today. Question please:
* It looks like you selected option 5HD for "extended leather dash and door panels" - is that correct? I can at least see the extended dash which includes the Sport Chrono.
* Doing this with the Deviated stitching option code 6RD (speed yellow in your case) gets that additional leather with the same deviated color correct - doors and dash?

Want to be sure to avoid unhappy surprises!

Also would you recommend the door lowers and dash uppers be leather? On the fence as to whether the juice is worth the squeeze and the door lowers get scuffed a lot on in/egress

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Chris C.; 11-03-2021 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Shark Blue/Deviated Stitching Closeups. Initial Driving Impressions vs. my 991