Sponsored by:

if touring drives like winged, ppl will be disapointed but will not admit it

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 07:00 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder75
Was you’re RS setup by manthey or someone similar? I had mine setup by manthey originally and it was a pig on the road. Drove it out of the place and was like oh no… Got it changed shortly afterwards and now it’s a joy, and shockingly good and compliant on the road. Road noise is still a right pain though.
As you know I have the exact same 2019 RS WP as you have with PCCBs and Mag wheels and find the ride perfectly compliant once you go above 20mph. The much reduced unsprung weight makes a very noticeable difference to the RS compared to a non WP RS on Steel brakes and standard wheels. I was interested in getting a 992GT3 Touring but after reading so many reviews I've lost interest as I'd want a Touring to be even more comfortable than my RS.
I suspect the 992.2 version will be the one to get but time will tell.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:06 AM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
With all due respect, this sounds like an operator error or a mismatch of expectations. If it does not sound good and has no torque, you are in a gear too high - downshift, all the way to 1st if needed, and you get all the sound and the torque you need. And those rev-matched downshifts sound amazing, by the way. With correct shifting, it's traction-limited below 60MPH on real roads, so more torque just means more work for traction control. And if shifting correctly is a chore (which it sounds like) just get PDK - it will do it for you. And if revving high is a chore, this is the wrong car, because that's the whole point of it. And I do not mean it in a critical way - everyone has a different fetish of what an "exciting car" is, and GT3 is built for those for whom "exciting car" is where you rev it out and shift a lot, feeling like driving a race car.
while driving in automatic mode i think the car wont let you dowsift from 2nd gear to first gear at 50kms/h (i may be wrong on that, i think i tried it once and it didnt worked). Also i am still in braking process, so i wont downsift to 1st year from 2nd gear in a hill driving at 60kms/h in 2nd gear, having to downsift to 1st gear is kinda crazy to my eyes ...

Last edited by JoeGT3; 11-02-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:21 AM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
Might be that there is a higher volume of exotic or flashier cars in your area. Or maybe it’s the Nardo PTS paint on the GT2. Either way, this car gets tons of looks, especially compared to the R, which is same body style without the aggressive aero

lovely car ! enjoy
The following users liked this post:
PTS (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 08:12 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 782 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeGT3
while driving in automatic mode i think the car wont let you dowsift from 2nd gear to first gear at 50kms/h (i may be wrong on that, i think i tried it once and it didnt worked). Also i am still in braking process, so i wont downsift to 1st year from 2nd gear in a hill driving at 60kms/h in 2nd gear, having to downsift to 1st gear is kinda crazy to my eyes ...
Just sell the Porsche and get yourself another Ferrari. Different cars. You clearly appreciate the Ferrari and have complaints about the Porsche. Pretty simple.
Chris C. (11-04-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 09:25 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Joe, not sure if this is your first GT car not being judging? My first Porsche was a 991S and I hated the car until I learned how to drive it, and it didn’t help as I came from a M5 gobs of torque and power. Porsche have to be driven above 5k rpm to have fun to feel the car, and even more so in a GT car it’s necessary. My next car was the 991 GT3, and man I was in heaven only drove at track events and mountain roads. Drove in auto mode less 10% when on public roads, and auto mode on the track is the ticket as the car wants to be driven on the edge.

Get your miles in, and when you feel good to drive the snot out of the car it’s a different experience MPOV. To your question wouldn’t let you down shift from 2nd to 1st because of the speed, again on the street get out of auto mode not fun unless over 4k of 5k unless you’re going to the market. Give it time and enjoy, or go drive a GT2RS will put your ***** on fire.

Last edited by Maverick787; 11-02-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:16 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

I feel exactly the opposite. This car in touring would be much more liveable than previous generations. Compliant on the road, high tech creature comforts, and an uncompromising beast when the traffic clears and you twist the dial to track mode.
The following 3 users liked this post by sgroer:
Chris C. (11-04-2021), PTS (11-02-2021), tstafford (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 02:06 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Joe, not sure if this is your first GT car not being judging? My first Porsche was a 991S and I hated the car until I learned how to drive it, and it didn’t help as I came from a M5 gobs of torque and power. Porsche have to be driven above 5k rpm to have fun to feel the car, and even more so in a GT car it’s necessary. My next car was the 991 GT3, and man I was in heaven only drove at track events and mountain roads. Drove in auto mode less 10% when on public roads, and auto mode on the track is the ticket as the car wants to be driven on the edge.

Get your miles in, and when you feel good to drive the snot out of the car it’s a different experience MPOV. To your question wouldn’t let you down shift from 2nd to 1st because of the speed, again on the street get out of auto mode not fun unless over 4k of 5k unless you’re going to the market. Give it time and enjoy, or go drive a GT2RS will put your ***** on fire.
yes, its my first gt car, driven other porsches but all turbo based.
my main concern to not drive it in manual mode is the breakin process (i still havent done the 1,5k kms), i have a hard time knowing in which gear i am if i dont look at the dash and looking at the dash really distracts me a lot.
I have some great moments at the mountains btw
Old 11-02-2021, 03:31 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Personally I would much prefer if the touring had a more compliant suspension. I have an allocation for one and was a bit disappointed that the spring rates were not less on the Touring but I’ll keep my order as I think it’s gonna may be one of the last NA manual gearbox GT cars and I’ve always wanted one but have no use for the wing as I’ll never track the cat.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,161 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
Personally I would much prefer if the touring had a more compliant suspension. I have an allocation for one and was a bit disappointed that the spring rates were not less on the Touring but I’ll keep my order as I think it’s gonna may be one of the last NA manual gearbox GT cars and I’ve always wanted one but have no use for the wing as I’ll never track the cat.
If someone is very unhappy with the stock suspension, it will be possible to fit custom coilovers with custom spring and damper rates (not cheap, but often better performance than stock).

Not sure how difficult it will be to override the electronic systems that talk to PASM (there were solutions in the 991).

With the old strut front suspension this was actually a much bigger ordeal than with the new double-wishbones (just have to swap damper/spring, instead of entire wheel carrier that also changes caster/camber every time you mount).

Maybe keep the stock shocks, but use softer springs and custom software for damping (DSC Sport or similar).

Last edited by GrantG; 11-02-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Fixinbones (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 03:52 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
If someone is very unhappy with the stock suspension, it will be possible to fit custom coilovers with custom spring and damper rates (not cheap, but often better performance than stock).

Not sure how difficult it will be to override the electronic systems that talk to PASM (there were solutions in the 991).

Maybe keep the stock shocks, but use softer springs and custom software for damping (DSC Sport or similar).

I believe there was mention of a 992 controller forthcoming. I'd exhaust that route first, before swapping hardware.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,161 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
I believe there was mention of a 992 controller forthcoming. I'd exhaust that route first, before swapping hardware.
That will make a difference, but you really want spring and damper rates matched for best performance (if spring rates are high and dampers soft, you get very underdamped shock performance which is not desirable). There is a window of adjustability, but if springs are nearly 100% stiffer than before, that is going to always be an issue for those who are sensitive to the firm ride.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:02 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
That will make a difference, but you really want spring and damper rates matched for best performance (if spring rates are high and dampers soft, you get very underdamped shock performance which is not desirable). There is a window of adjustability, but if springs are nearly 100% stiffer than before, that is going to always be an issue for those who are sensitive to the firm ride.
Fair enough...its all relative. However there is a lot of compliance, and or behavior change, that can be dialed in just be changing Compression and Rebound velocity parameters, leaving damping levels the same.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:42 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Fixinbones
i have no issues with the suspension if this tells you something, i think its totally fine for any circunstance : mountains, city, average roads in europe. I live on the mountains and got several manhole covers on the road to my house i was affraid about those but the car is totally fine getting those, carbon seats are really confortable too, even my wife preffers those than the S seats on my audi.

Last edited by JoeGT3; 11-02-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Fixinbones (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 05:18 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

... I live on the mountains and got several manhole covers on the road to my house i was affraid about those...

"Manhole covers"...awwww...cute!
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2021, 05:54 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
"Manhole covers"...awwww...cute!
i hope you speak my language as well (or bad) i can speak yours,

i was refering to this

Quick Reply: if touring drives like winged, ppl will be disapointed but will not admit it